VOGONS

First post, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello all, I seem to be having some trouble getting DOS to recognize the CD-ROM in my Packard Bell. I am using some generic ATAPI dos drivers I found figuring it should work seeing as that's what windows looks at it as. So when I installed these drivers they went to the folder "C:\CDROM\" and it auto edited my Autoexec.bat and Config.sys. However when I boot into dos I still cannot use the drive and I checked the Autoexec.bat and it has this in it: "LH C:\CDROM\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD000 /L:D" and the Config.sys contains this : "DEVICEHIGH=C:\CDROM\GSCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD000" which to me looks correct since the driver is called GSCDROM.sys and is in that file.

When I run autoexec.bat though to see what went wrong it says:
DEVICE DRIVER NOT FOUND: 'MSCD000'.
NO VALID CDROM DEVICE DRIVERS SELECTED

I am a bit puzzled as to what is causing this error. Is it simply that the drivers are not compatible or what is going on here?

Any help is much appreciated.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 2 of 13, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

at a quick glance that all looks okay to me. for the record I use GSCDROM all the time and I've never had a drive it didn't work with. then again Packard bells can be weird.

try not loading it into high memory and see if that does anything maybe? make sure the driver and mscdex and everything is indeed in the folders there supposed to be?

Reply 3 of 13, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What if you try using the bootdisk that comes with Win9x? as a test They were pretty good at detecting a CD drive?

Reply 6 of 13, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah the CD-ROM is detected by BIOS the original 8x drive that came with this machine was shot so I replaced it with a 48x and bios detects it and it knows what to do with it in windows. However when I boot into DOS I cannot use the drive and MSCDEX is not working properly, so that means it's simply a matter of drivers right? It's odd but I'll try some other drivers and see what happens it may be just the Packard being it's usual troublesome self. 😜

Also removing the LH in the Autoexec should take it out of high mem right? It's been a long time since I've messed with this stuff so I'm a bit foggy on a lot of the options and commands. 🤣

What my goal is is to get DOS to recognize the CD-ROM so I can create a DOS boot floppy and then do a system restore with the old Master disk I have. Which is all to get my Packard Bell OEM sound card to work. 🤣

Reply 7 of 13, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, try this. Download SHSUCDEX which is a replacement for MSCDEX and also download VIDE-CDD.SYS which is a universal cdrom driver.

http://www.hiren.info/downloads/dos-files

I'm typing this on my mobile so I'm unable to test the download links but they should be fine.

Once you have these 2 files. Create a "CDROM" directory in dos and place the 2 files in it.

Edit autoexec.bat and insert the following line:

LH C:\CDROM\SHSUCDEX /D:"name of your drive" /M:15 /E /S /L:D /V

Edit config.sys and insert the following line:

DEVICEHIGH=C:\CDROM\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:"name of your drive"

Make sure that where I've written "name of your drive" that you enter whatever the name is without the " on either side of the name and that the name does not exceed 8 letters. Mine for instance says /D:SONY-DVD . The name also needs to be identical in both your autoexec and config lines.

Basically your autoexec and config lines were correct and all we're really doing is trying a new cdrom driver and replacing MSCDEX.

Let me know how you go 😀

Last edited by borgie83 on 2014-03-16, 04:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 13, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh my gosh! Thank you dude! It works flawlessly! :DDD

Thank you again! You really helped me out here. But what does all the options mean in the autoexec? (/m:15 /e /s /v)

Reply 9 of 13, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As a follow up for this question... are there any driver recommended for low memory usage? I mean, a driver that uses less memory than the rest.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 10 of 13, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Zup wrote:

As a follow up for this question... are there any driver recommended for low memory usage? I mean, a driver that uses less memory than the rest.

UIDE.

Takes 5k in UMBs and that's it. You'll get a free XMS disk/CD/floppy cache too.

Reply 11 of 13, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

🤣 Well I seemed to have fucked things up. Somehow my BIOS is not detecting the CDROM drive after installing Win95 from CDROM. 🤣
What to do now... 🙁

NVM I fixed it. I put it as slave to the HDD and put it on that ribbon. It would seem something is wrong with the other ide ribbon. 😁

Reply 12 of 13, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@King_Corduroy, really glad you managed to get everything working 😀

Regarding the additional switches, they are not required but I use them each time.

/M:15 gives the CD-ROM drive a suitable amount of buffers. Basically the larger this number is, the less your computer will read directly from the CD-ROM drive.

/E loads these buffers into the expanded memory which needs EMS to be loaded.

/S allows the CD-ROM drive to be seen over a network but is also used to allow certain program's to read the volume label of the disc.

/V displays information on memory usage on boot.

I probably should've left these commands out when I wrote my previous message as you don't really need them but I just wrote it exactly how I write mine each time as I've never had any issues this way so thought "why change it?" Haha

Reply 13 of 13, by 2sekunds

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
borgie83 wrote on 2014-03-15, 18:07:
Ok, try this. Download SHSUCDEX which is a replacement for MSCDEX and also download VIDE-CDD.SYS which is a universal cdrom driv […]
Show full quote

Ok, try this. Download SHSUCDEX which is a replacement for MSCDEX and also download VIDE-CDD.SYS which is a universal cdrom driver.

http://www.hiren.info/downloads/dos-files

I'm typing this on my mobile so I'm unable to test the download links but they should be fine.

Once you have these 2 files. Create a "CDROM" directory in dos and place the 2 files in it.

Edit autoexec.bat and insert the following line:

LH C:\CDROM\SHSUCDEX /D:"name of your drive" /M:15 /E /S /L:D /V

Edit config.sys and insert the following line:

DEVICEHIGH=C:\CDROM\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:"name of your drive"

Make sure that where I've written "name of your drive" that you enter whatever the name is without the " on either side of the name and that the name does not exceed 8 letters. Mine for instance says /D:SONY-DVD . The name also needs to be identical in both your autoexec and config lines.

Basically your autoexec and config lines were correct and all we're really doing is trying a new cdrom driver and replacing MSCDEX.

Let me know how you go 😀

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! IT WORKED FOR ME TOO!!