VOGONS

First post, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Saw these SATA to IDE adapters on eBay and really liked the idea.

A quick and easy way to turn a SATA drive into an IDE drive without minimal changes to the retro system (just keep using the IDE and Molex cable).

However in order to be fully compatible a small capacity is desired.

Well if you have a Samsung or Seagate drive you can use SEATOOLS to limit the capacity to 32GB 😀

And voila, you have a "modern" 32GB IDE drive. Perfect for you DOS/W95/W98 machine.

I haven't investigated the performance yet but will do so.

I will be using this setup (BX board with this HDD and W98SE) for more Voodoo 2 scaling work. So I will be able to give an overall impression on performance and reliability.

wEGMmgEl.jpg

w80Xv4Nl.jpg

HGTLLMnl.jpg

8hndZYDl.jpg

sRpojWKl.jpg

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 18, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

HDD manufacturers were aware of this problem in the time, so older drives have a jumper to limit capacity to 32 GB.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 3 of 18, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I saw this in various documents on WD website. But none of my drives (Smallest is 500GB) has this jumper.

Another question. I loaded the Intel chipset drivers and enabled DMA for the HDD. But this renders the OS inoperable. It doesn't boot any more and hangs half-way. Safe mode works fine however.

Questions:

How can I disable DMA mode again considering I can't access it?

What could cause a lock up like this?

My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 18, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The lock up may have something to do with AHCI vs. IDE emulation mode I guess.
You can try to disable it by setting BIOS to IDE emulation mode and remove the driver.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 5 of 18, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Board has a Intel BX440 chipset, so just native IDE.

The DMA setting, might this be stored in some INI file so I can set it back? Or can I remove the drivers in Safe mode? I guess I will play around some more tomorrow. Would like to have DMA mode going for benchmarking.

To clarify, the Intel INF drivers installed fine. And without DMA ticket everything works well, I don't notice any slowdowns on a Pentium II 350. But when I enable it and reboot the system locks up.

My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 18, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just a word of caution about those adapters as they can short out pretty fast when hooked up to a drive that has a high current load when spinning up (best to just use laptop drives). Had one of these cheap adapters burn on me once but at least the drive survived unharmed.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 7 of 18, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

@Mau1wurf1977: Win98SE stores DMA settings in the registry. To remove it in safe mode, you have to open Device Manager and remove the Intel IDE controller, then reboot. The controller should be re-detected and restored back to default settings (no DMA).

As far as using DMA mode with a SATA 2/3 HDD and a SATA to IDE adapter, I tried only once; it didn't work, had the same problem as well. I heard that SATA 1 could work, but haven't had the chance to try. In the end, you may have to switch to a Win9x-compatible SATA PCI controller if you want to have DMA mode.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 8 of 18, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh I see, so it could be the adapter. No worries.

Might just switch back to the CF card then 😀 I'll try setting it up this afternoon.

My YouTube channel

Reply 11 of 18, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
KEC wrote:

What about trying a drive overlay to access more than just 32g?

I've only used them on 386's and have no idea how newer gear would fair, but could be worth looking into..

Yes it works, covered this in one of my YT videos 😀

I always look for new ways and report about them. The more options the better as everyone can pick what suits them.

I found it's a neat way. But it seems that DMA mode cannot be enabled, so I will investigate more and let you all know. Every solution has it's pros and cons.

My YouTube channel

Reply 12 of 18, by JoeCorrado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a few of these convert's as well- I ordered these to connect modern optical drives in my legacy machines. Didn't try them with hard drives but if you can get the DMA support to work it would be a nice option down the road.

Decided not to use these for optical drives either since I couldn't figure a way of getting cd sound from the SATA drives to the sound card. Did I miss something there? Have you used these for SATA optical drives and were you able to still get cd sound?

I was fortunate enough to find two retail packaged "brand new in the box" Maxtor 7200 rpm hard drives- 60g and 30 gig respectively. I was super thrilled with these two drives and they are my primary storage devices on my legacy machines (Win98se & Win95c) They are still out there... I keep an eye out for more of these just to have on the shelf for down the road.

Just couldn't bring myself to shrink a 2tb drive down to 32gb. 😀

-- Regards, Joe

Expect out of life, that which you put into it.

Reply 13 of 18, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

SATA optical drives play CD audio digitally through the data cable; never tried that with a SATA to IDE adapter, though (technically, it should work.....).

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 14 of 18, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea you really need to use IDE optical drives.

I tried a SATA drive on a PCI Sata controller. While you could install Windows fine, once in Windows there was simply no optical drive 😒

My YouTube channel

Reply 15 of 18, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JayCeeBee64 wrote:

I heard that SATA 1 could work, but haven't had the chance to try. In the end, you may have to switch to a Win9x-compatible SATA PCI controller if you want to have DMA mode.

Jumpered the HDD to SATA 1 and same issue.

So with this adapter: Leave DMA turned off 😒

My YouTube channel

Reply 16 of 18, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
JayCeeBee64 wrote:

I heard that SATA 1 could work, but haven't had the chance to try. In the end, you may have to switch to a Win9x-compatible SATA PCI controller if you want to have DMA mode.

Jumpered the HDD to SATA 1 and same issue.

So with this adapter: Leave DMA turned off 😒

Does it have a Jmicron 20330 chipset?

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 17 of 18, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

Just had a look, yes it does!

Apart from that it's working really well. The Samsung drive is very fast and I don't have the slowdowns with small files like with CF cards.

Reliability has been top notch so far.

My YouTube channel

Reply 18 of 18, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

Could you maybe expand on this chipset?

Are there adapters with different, DMA compatible, chipset?

My YouTube channel