VOGONS

First post, by Dougal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Its a 32MB Matrox G400 DualHead. It works perfectly in both DOS and Win 98 but when I shut down Windows it gives a blue screen with a VXD error.

Disabling the driver "solves" the problem but that is no solution as everything reverts to like low resolution, low colours and slow refresh.

I googled the error and it has to do with Matrox Drivers. I installed the latest Windows 98 drivers from the Matrox website but it does not solve the problem. Can't find any other useful info and believe me i looked. I even tried re-installing the drivers.

Win 7 : Core2Quad 2.4Ghz, 4Gb Ram, Audigy 4 Pro
Win 98: Pentium III 600Mhz, 448MB Ram, Matrox Millenium DualHead 32MB, Sound Blaster 32, Roland MT-32
Win 98: Compaq Armada 7400 P2 333Mhz, 192MB Ram, ESS AudiDrive 1879 with Wavetable

Reply 2 of 6, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I ran a Matrox Millennium G400 MAX in my P3 under Windows 98SE for a couple of days. I downloaded ftp://ftp.matrox.com/pub/mga/archive/win_9x/2002/w9x_683.exe, and these drivers worked flawlessly. I expect those drivers to be the same for any version of the G400, "MAX" or otherwise. No error messages when shutting down.

Edit: Checked the driver package. This package covers the "G" series of Matrox cards from G200 to G550.

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 3 of 6, by JoeCorrado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ran with a Matrox Millennium G400 (32mb) in my Win98se machine, P3 600, ASUS P3B-F (v1.03) for about two weeks with no other issues than that it's Power Desk Utilities seemed to dislike my Voodoo2 SLI setup. I also remember that I chose not to use the final version of the drivers instead opting for the one revision earlier set. I never like the final revision for video drivers- superstitious I guess.

-- Regards, Joe

Expect out of life, that which you put into it.

Reply 4 of 6, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm using a G200 Millennium with Diamond Monster 3D II SLI and haven't ran into any issues.

This is under W95 and W98 with the latest Matrox driver I got directly form their website.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 6, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For graphic cards, I found it often takes rummaging through old driver versions to find the latest version which does not produce undesirable symptoms. While this is especially true when using higher-end cards on a 486, I've also run into this delimma with NVIDIA drivers on newer computers.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 6 of 6, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

While not about BSODs specifically, I ran into an old post about G400 locking up on shutdown. In addition to making sure you have the Win98 shutdown supplement installed, a solution was to use the Matrox Powerdesk Uninstaller to be sure you don't have any old driver files floating around and then to reinstall the drivers.

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/support/dri … s/ftp_util2.php (powerdesk uninstaller)
http://www.computerhope.com/download/win98.htm (98SE shutdown supplement)

If you're running Windows 98's first release instead of 98SE, then the shutdown supplement doesn't apply AFAIK.