VOGONS

First post, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yo!

I have the aforementioned adaptor, which I got in a bundle of Slot-1 gear, and I want to mod it for use with an unmodified Tualatin 1.4GHz.

I found this site: http://www.oocities.org/_lunchbox/ms6905_tualatin_mod.html ... which says "The 'Master' versions were properly designed to support Pentium3 CPUs and they accept the typical 3-pin mod."

But no description of what the "typical 3-pin mod" is.

So..... what is it?

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 4 of 17, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When I got a used MS6905 "Master" slotket, there was a Lin-Lin adapter stacked on top of it. Then a tualatin on top of that.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 6 of 17, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting. Thanks for that!

Does that wire-link need to carry much current? If it's not much, I'll probably use some very fine enamelled transformer wire so the chip still sits nicely in the socket.

Reply 8 of 17, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was thinking I'd just de-solder those 3 pins from the socket, but I haven't actually verified that this is do-able.

Reply 9 of 17, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi Gerwin. Do you know where I should be setting the jumpers on that same sandwich? I bought a MS6905 Master, Lin-Lin and Tualatin Celeron 1.4 as well for an ASUS P2B. I don't know where or which jumpers should set the voltage!

Reply 10 of 17, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
valnar wrote:

Hi Gerwin. Do you know where I should be setting the jumpers on that same sandwich? I bought a MS6905 Master, Lin-Lin and Tualatin Celeron 1.4 as well for an ASUS P2B. I don't know where or which jumpers should set the voltage!

Here's a manual with the jumpers explained. Note that those voltage jumpers are just clamps, telling the mobo's VRM what voltage to output. The VRM must support your desired voltage, if it doesn't the mobo will probably not even POST.

Reply 12 of 17, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
valnar wrote:

Thank you.

How do I set the jumpers on the motherboard?

If it's an old version of P2B the VRM chip only supports 1.8V to 3.5V, if it's a newer version it should support what ever voltage you choose with the slotket jumpers. In any case there is no need to set any jumpers on the motherboard other than the FSB jumpers.

If it's an old Asus P2B (rev 1.02 up to 1.10 or so) you need to set the slotket voltage jumpers to the 1.8V the VRM supports. This is a bit too much for a Tualatin but luckily the Asus P2B is known to undervolt. I get 1.68V idle 1.65V load at the 1.8V setting with a Tualatin P3-S 1400 running on my P2B 1.02 (the first non pre release revision). As long as you get 1.75V or less I think everything "should" be fine. You need to activly cool the VRM section of the motherboard though or it will fail sooner or later.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 14 of 17, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skyscraper wrote:

In any case there is no need to set any jumpers on the motherboard other than the FSB jumpers.

Sorry for the delayed response. But Skyscraper said it already.

The MS6905 manual above is for an old revision with a 1.8V limit though. Later versions can go lower: example (I am currently having trouble finding the PDF manual that I use at home.) Setting the slotket to 1.5V at first is the safest bet. You can check it with multimeter to do away with any uncertainty. What is the P2B-B VRM type number, HIP6019BCB maybe?.

P2B boards have no AGP divider jumper. AGP divider is set by the CPU/slotket FSB request signal or something.

A Lin-Lin adapter has a few small jumpers too. But I don't remember using them really.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 15 of 17, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote:
Sorry for the delayed response. But Skyscraper said it already. […]
Show full quote
Skyscraper wrote:

In any case there is no need to set any jumpers on the motherboard other than the FSB jumpers.

Sorry for the delayed response. But Skyscraper said it already.

The MS6905 manual above is for an old revision with a 1.8V limit though. Later versions can go lower: example (I am currently having trouble finding the PDF manual that I use at home.) Setting the slotket to 1.5V at first is the safest bet. You can check it with multimeter to do away with any uncertainty. What is the P2B-B VRM type number, HIP6019BCB maybe?.

P2B boards have no AGP divider jumper. AGP divider is set by the CPU/slotket FSB request signal or something.

A Lin-Lin adapter has a few small jumpers too. But I don't remember using them really.

Oh, crap, the manual I linked looks so much the one I downloaded not long ago. Didn't even bother to scroll down check the jumper table, sorry for that.

Valnar, here's the manual version you want, hope it's not too late:

Filename
MS6905.PDF
File size
64.55 KiB
Downloads
414 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 17 of 17, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Managed to ebay a 1.4GHz Tualeron at a very reasonable price a week or two ago. Successfully Tualatin modded one of my MS-6905 Master 2.x slotkets earlier today to host that CPU. Done a few hours of stress testing now, it's rock stable 😀

Used a variant of the 3 pin mod, since I wanted it permanent, and the slotket to contain the whole mod. Instead of insulating the AN3, AK4 and AJ3 pins on the CPU, I simply desoldered and removed the corresponding contact strips in the slotket. Did the AK4-AN11 bridge by soldering a thin insulated wire to one of the removed strips, sliding the insulation over the solder joint, putting the strip back in place in the socket with the wire through the hole, and then connect the other end of it to AN11. Electrically equivalent to isolating AK4 and bridging the CPU pins.

No need to do the VID mod, since the slotket got voltage selection jumpers.