VOGONS

First post, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My curiosity got the best of me and I bought an ASUS I-A16C Sound Blaster Vibra 16C (same as pictured) from an online store,
and I'm currently waiting on delivery. Now I know that SB Vibra 16's are Cost cut SB16's and that the SB Vibra 16C is even
further cost cut than that.

Anyway, my reason for this post is to ask whether anyone on this forum has had any experience with this particular card,
and if it's any different from an actual Creative Sound Blaster Vibra 16C.

I see the ASUS card was OEM and not sold separately. Would that make it better or worse than a regular Creative SB Vibra 16C?

ASUS Creative SB Vibra 16C
i-a16c.jpg
Bigger Picture: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons … _Soundkarte.jpg

Regular Creative SB Vibra 16C
ct4180.jpg

My Retro Gaming PC:
Pentium III 450MHz Katmai Slot 1
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 1 of 12, by swampfox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The Asus OEM card has a different stereo audio amplifier than the Creative one.
The one on the Asus, manufactured by STMicroelectronics, has support for a gain of 45dB, where as the one on the Creative is only 20dB.

However, that doesn't necessarily mean one has higher output quality then the other. Maybe provide some line recordings once you get it, and then get a comparison of the same samples being played through the normal Vibra?

Swampfox's Computing - Google+ and YouTube: https://plus.google.com/108854180391399268575

Reply 2 of 12, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I bought a CT4180 Vibra 16C, an ASUS I-A16C and an Avance Logic ALS100plus all for $6.00 including shipping. So I'll have 3 cards to mess around with when they get here.

My Retro Gaming PC:
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 3 of 12, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I say the Asus will be better. The TEA2025B can support up to 1A current, and the Asus card uses a 5V 1A regulator, while the regulator on the Creative card is only 5V at .5A! Output quality should be comparable, but power will be higher on the Asus card so if you use passive speakers, I'd op for the Asus.

Reply 4 of 12, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have this card, it's "nothing flashy, but gets the job done". I tend to like it, it does not make much noise and is rock solid. And I like the board design. When you look at Creative card, it's much of a mess with capacitors hanging here and there.

The original card is bundled with ASUS XP55T2P4, but works well with other motherboards.

Reply 5 of 12, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another card I'm somewhat interested in is the more modern/simplified Sound Blaster Vibra 16XV WavEffects model. I'm quite interested to hear what the wavetable on that card sounds like. Has anyone had an opportunity to test this card before?

ct4170vibra16xrm8.jpg

My Retro Gaming PC:
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 6 of 12, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Totempole wrote:
Another card I'm somewhat interested in is the more modern/simplified Sound Blaster Vibra 16XV WavEffects model. I'm quite inter […]
Show full quote

Another card I'm somewhat interested in is the more modern/simplified Sound Blaster Vibra 16XV WavEffects model. I'm quite interested to hear what the wavetable on that card sounds like. Has anyone had an opportunity to test this card before?

ct4170vibra16xrm8.jpg

I have owned one since new. There is no wavetable on the card. It was just a Vibra 16 card bundled with Creative's "WavEffects" software synthesizer that originally came with the AWE64 (that provided the other 32 voices advertised on the box).

Reply 7 of 12, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had assumed it was a software based wavetable. Does the software synth on the SB16XV sound the same as the AWE64 once the bundled software is installed?

My Retro Gaming PC:
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 8 of 12, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Logistics wrote:

I say the Asus will be better. The TEA2025B can support up to 1A current, and the Asus card uses a 5V 1A regulator, while the regulator on the Creative card is only 5V at .5A! Output quality should be comparable, but power will be higher on the Asus card so if you use passive speakers, I'd op for the Asus.

Irrelevant. TEA2025B on ASUS card does use 5V from the regulator, but the TDA1517P on CT4180 gets 12V directly from the ISA bus. It gives out new possibilities to assume which one is better.

Reply 9 of 12, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When talking about these minor differences in amplifier, the eventual conclusion is to use lineout and an external amp with volume control.
I am usually fascinated by soundcards, yet this discussion makes me yawn. 🤣

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 10 of 12, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Boring as this discussion may have been, I received the cards to day and can safely conclude that the amplifacation levels on both cards are almost identical.

There are only 2 relevant differences between the CT4180 and the I-A16C.

1. The IA-16C has a Spk Out port and a separate Line Out port. The CT4180 only one Output (Spk Out or Line Out depending on jumper conf).
2. The IA-16C has a Wavetable connector. The CT4180 doesn't.

Other than that, they're basically the same card.

My Retro Gaming PC:
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 11 of 12, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jepael wrote:

Irrelevant. TEA2025B on ASUS card does use 5V from the regulator, but the TDA1517P on CT4180 gets 12V directly from the ISA bus. It gives out new possibilities to assume which one is better.

Every time I follow the traces, I end up at the 5V regulator to the OpAmp's left. This coincides with OP's finding the output levels similar because the difference between 5V and 12V would be several hundred milliwatts, which would be very noticeable.

Reply 12 of 12, by jp3149

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know this is an old post I'm looking at but I wonder if anyone knows what the difference is in the two different sound blaster ct4180 is. One has a small chip on the rear of the board where there is a diagram for a crystal, the other version actually has a crystal there. One that has the crystal is labeled as a Sound blaster ct 4180. the other one with the small chip is labeled Vira 16 ct4180.