VOGONS

First post, by Niezgodka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'll try to put all my questions together here. Each time when I search the Internet for answers this forum is in results, so just want to say, how grateful I am.

Anyway, here are my questions:

1 - Is there any DOS enhancer that would change its colors and would make possible to rewind the screen with previous commands? I know about doskey, but maybe there is something better than that?

2 - I try to use my Z250 ATAPI zip drive in dos (Pentium 120, MS-DOS 6.22). I found on the Internet that program guest, but it was unable to see my drive. When I install Iomega software, I was able to found the drive after running guest, however it was some random unreadable signs on the disk, instead of files. Is anyone successful with using Z250 or Z100 ATAPI in dos? What do I need to put in my config.sys and autoexec to be able to use it?

3 - I use oakcdrom driver. After executing the driver, the whole system stops for a good 12 seconds. Is that normal? Is there a way to make it faster? What oakcdrom alternative I should use?

4 - Long time ago I was using XT computer at my friend's house. I remember that there was a demo or test file that was showing some stunning screens and calculations. I know it was not a scene demo but one of these commercial demos to show how great that particular computer was. Where can I found some of these demos? Do you guys recall any good ones?

5 - I have AWE64 Gold card and Roland MT32. I hooked it together but Roland is not recognized in games. Can I actually use it with AWE64? Do I need to have anything in autoexec to make it running?

6 - Last one - I know that VOGONS does not allow to make sale trade buy offers. Where is the best place to do so? I know eBay is the place, but maybe something more "inner circle" (For US)? BTW, this forum would be perfect for that.
Thank you and regards for all.

Reply 2 of 15, by JoeCorrado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

"RECALL.COM" is a DOSKEY replacement. Doesn't seem as versatile, but uses less memory (sometimes that makes it a better choice) and allows the basic functions of easily recalling previous commands.

NANSI.SYS is a replacement for ANSI.SYS

-- Regards, Joe

Expect out of life, that which you put into it.

Reply 3 of 15, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wikipedia has some doskey alternatives listed
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOSKEY#Alternatives

I have never seen a CDROM driver take that long to load. I suggest looking to see if there is a driver specific to your CDROM drive available

Reply 4 of 15, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
smeezekitty wrote:

I have never seen a CDROM driver take that long to load. I suggest looking to see if there is a driver specific to your CDROM drive available

This or - are you sure the system isn't waiting for X seconds due to a setting hiding in there? I know, for example, the FreeDOS bootable image that Ultimate Boot CD uses imposes wait times like that for the CD drivers, keyboard drivers, etc. It makes sense for a testing environment, but for a normal-use machine it could get kind of annoying.

On the Zip: are you certain the drive and disk are not damaged/corrupted/etc? I remember all of those various Iomega storage formats being notoriously unreliable (Zip was probably the least bad of them, but still).

Reply 5 of 15, by Niezgodka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

On the zip - I tested it in another windows computer. Worked like charms. That is why I was asking about dos usage.
CD-Rom - So it should not be like that? Is there a bios setting to speed it up? NSSI tells me that it is 2.30 version unknown manufacturer cdrom.
On top of that. Recently I tried to use MPXPLAY, but I'm keep getting

Fail to load dos/4g extender

I replaced the dos4g file, but still the same error. What to do?

Reply 7 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Can you paste your config.sys and autoexec.bat? Because my guess is that you perhaps don't specify the device name and it autoscans or something like that. Just a shot in the dark, been a while since I used real dos 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 15, by Niezgodka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok. I switched graphics card (I had Cordex Tseng ET4000) and install S3 TRIO64V 2MB, MPXPLAY works again 😀
I heard a good things about that Tseng card, but actually nothing worked on the one I have. When I played Cannon Fodder it was stuttering, some games gave me black screens.

I replaced that cdrom drive (it was TORiSAN CDR S1G) with Samsung DVD taken from old Dell. It loads drivers instantly now
Ignore different colors functions ECHO [1;35;40m, I made it just to different drivers.
Any suggestions what I should change?

My autoexec.bat:

@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $p$g
PATH=C:\PROGRAMS\DOS;C:\TOOLS
SET TEMP=C:\TEMP\
SET CTCM=C:\PROGRAMS\SB16

ECHO [1;35;40m
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 E620 T6
SET SOUND=C:\PROGRAMS\SB16
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E MODE:0
C:\PROGRAMS\SB16\DIAGNOSE /S
C:\PROGRAMS\SB16\AWEUTIL /S
C:\PROGRAMS\SB16\MIXERSET /P /Q
C:\PROGRAMS\SB16\CTCU /S

ECHO [1;34;40m
LOADHIGH=C:\PROGRAMS\DOS\SHSUCDX.COM /D:MSCD001

ECHO [1;31;40m
LOADHIGH=C:\PROGRAMS\DOS\CTMOUSE.EXE

ECHO [1;32;40m
LOADHIGH=C:\PROGRAMS\DN\dn

My config.sys

DEVICE=C:\PROGRAMS\DOS\HIMEM.SYS /TESTMEM:OFF
DEVICE=C:\PROGRAMS\DOS\EMM386.EXE RAM HIGHSCAN
DEVICE=C:\PROGRAMS\SB16\CTCM.EXE
DEVICEHIGH=C:\PROGRAMS\DOS\ANSI.SYS
DEVICEHIGH=C:\PROGRAMS\DOS\OAKCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD001

DOS=UMB
DOS=HIGH
FILES=40
LASTDRIVE=J
BUFFERS=15,0
STACKS=0,0
BREAK=ON

And these are screens from NSSI (I Unplugged dvdrom to put Zip750)

51k59jp.png?1
usWVh9y.png?1
6oqmpYS.png?1
BO3UC0Q.png?1

For the zip drives, I have 100, 250 and 750 (brand new) ATAPI drives, but like I mentioned Guest does not see it. I try to install the software (I believe there must be some sys driver in config for that) but I can't find it anywhere. I just keep getting installation error 🙁

Reply 9 of 15, by Niezgodka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried to install Zip 250 again. The iOmega software installed scasi drivers into config.sys and drive shows again some random signs. Is there a ATAPI driver?

Can you guys recomend me some good recent picture viewer dos program? Years ago I remember I was using SEA, but want to know if there is something more recent.

I search everywhere for dos edit program called pedit 4.0. Their website is down, can anyone post it for me?

I was trying to run Trade Wars 2002 for DOS, but it is asking me for share.exe. Where can I found that file? My dos does not have it.

Reply 10 of 15, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Niezgodka wrote:
I tried to install Zip 250 again. The iOmega software installed scasi drivers into config.sys and drive shows again some random […]
Show full quote

I tried to install Zip 250 again. The iOmega software installed scasi drivers into config.sys and drive shows again some random signs. Is there a ATAPI driver?

Can you guys recomend me some good recent picture viewer dos program? Years ago I remember I was using SEA, but want to know if there is something more recent.

I search everywhere for dos edit program called pedit 4.0. Their website is down, can anyone post it for me?

I was trying to run Trade Wars 2002 for DOS, but it is asking me for share.exe. Where can I found that file? My dos does not have it.

Quickview works, but the author wants a bunch of $$$ to register it.

Reply 11 of 15, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try putting DOS=HIGH,UMB (one line) as the second line of your config.sys (after HIMEM and before EMM386).

As for a viewer, I finally found a copy of DISPLAY at http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/wpgformat.html (namely http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/dispinst.exe ). Or maybe CompuShow 2000 ?

I think SHARE.EXE should be on your DOS disks; it is also included with Windows 3.x. But it's probably floating around somewhere out there.

EDIT:

Niezgodka wrote:

Is the site available on http://www.archive.org ? Sometimes you can get downloads there as well.

Last edited by Jorpho on 2014-04-21, 20:01. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 15, by EverythingOldIsNewAgain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Niezgodka wrote:

I'll try to put all my questions together here. Each time when I search the Internet for answers this forum is in results, so just want to say, how grateful I am.

Anyway, here are my questions:

1 - Is there any DOS enhancer that would change its colors and would make possible to rewind the screen with previous commands? I know about doskey, but maybe there is something better than that?

You want 4DOS.

Reply 13 of 15, by Niezgodka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How am I supposed to use that 4dos? Will that help me to rewind screens?
Archive website does not have pedit 4.0. The only hope that you guys put it for me on rapidshare or something.
Is anyone was able to play Trade Wars 2002 on dos? I keep looking for that file.

Reply 14 of 15, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Niezgodka wrote:

How am I supposed to use that 4dos? Will that help me to rewind screens?

RTFM, as they say.

4DOS is a replacement for command.com with many enhancements, including "rewind the screen" and color changes. You'll want the "Free 4DOS" version available at http://www.4dos.info/v4dos.htm#751 , I think.

Is anyone was able to play Trade Wars 2002 on dos? I keep looking for that file.

I was going to suggest Googling it, but indeed I could not find it in two minutes of Googling. So instead, just get the "fake" share.exe from Windows 3.1x DOSBox Guide (specifically http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7801769/fakeshar.zip ). As long as you are not trying to actually use the program in a multiuser environment, the fake version should be fine.