VOGONS

First post, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just completed my setup, please see drawing:

KVMsetup.png

- Only using high quality VGA cables, so image degeneration is kept to a minimum.
- Easy to switch between all 4 retro PCs for image, keyboard/mouse input, audio and MIDI
- Easy recording of image and audio.

The PC's connected:
PC1: 386DX-33 system (this computer have a MS wireless serial mouse)
PC2: Pentium Overdrive 133 Socket 4 system
PC3: "1996/1997" Socket 7 system for testing and benchmarking. My testbench.
PC4: Pentium III-S 1.4Ghz Tualatin, Geforce FX5950 Ultra, Matrox M3D PowerVR, Voodoo2 SLI system

Future plans:
- Getting a Roland MPU-105 MIDI output selector to avoid daisy chaining the MIDI devices. DONE
- Get a 5 port audio switch or mixer for the MIDI output. This allows me to connect up to two more MIDI devices than the current 3-port ORDERED

2014-08-24%2003.11.16.jpg

Any comments? Anyone else have something similar?

Last edited by vetz on 2014-08-24, 01:24. Edited 5 times in total.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 1 of 23, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well... That must be a lot of cables. How do you manage them? Do you also have these systems connected via network? Are they all around the same desk? Could you show us some pictures? 😀

Reply 2 of 23, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RacoonRider wrote:

Well... That must be a lot of cables. How do you manage them? Do you also have these systems connected via network? Are they all around the same desk? Could you show us some pictures? 😀

Alot of cables yes 😀 I'm using varco cable strips to keep it in some order. I have all systems connected through network with a 4 port 10/100mbit Ethernet switch (not included in diagram). All are around the same cornerdesk with my main system computer (which works as recording PC). The recording PC has it's own mouse/keyboard, speakers and 24" Dell ISPS monitor.

Pictures are coming. Just need to do some cleaning 😉

Reply 3 of 23, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What device are you using as a VGA input on the Recording PC, and how well does it work?

My Retro Gaming PC:
Pentium III 450MHz Katmai Slot 1
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 4 of 23, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had a similar setup for a while! It's indeed very convenient.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 23, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Totempole wrote:

What device are you using as a VGA input on the Recording PC, and how well does it work?

The Avermedia GameBroadcaster HD. It's good compared to the price. Supports VGA and DVI/HDMI recording. There are several threads here on Vogons about its pros and cons. Generally it works well 😀

Reply 6 of 23, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea it's a great card! Thanks for the heads up, I wouldn't have gotten it otherwise.

It's the only card I know that does VGA and DVI / HDMI for such little money.

320 x 200 VGA capture is a bit tricky, but for anything high resolution it's really awesome.

I found that image quality degrades quite a bit with splitters and KVMs. I made some screenshots and posted a comparison a while ago.

VGA signal quality - Splitters and KVMs

My YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 23, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I found that image quality degrades quite a bit with splitters and KVMs. I made some screenshots and posted a comparison a while ago.

VGA signal quality - Splitters and KVMs

I've noticed this myself on a cheap KVM switch I had earlier. I also tested a few VGA cables to get the best ones. On the monitor I can't tell if I'm going direct or through the KVM/splitter atm and the picture looks quite good. I will do some more testing on the capture card. I have a powered on high end KVM switch. The splitter is from Ebay, but I have a professional VGA matrix laying around (missing power adapter) which I could try out if the splitter is degrading quality too much.

All audio cables are also brand new high quality ones. It does make a difference in reducing noise.

Phil, I have the 2port version of your 4 port and it sucks compared to the one I use now.

Last edited by vetz on 2014-04-28, 10:45. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 8 of 23, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea it would be interesting to see how you go!

With newer gear I always use a Nvidia card with DVI / VGA dualhead. They clone under DOS and can be cloned under Windows. Capture DVI and work off VGA. Works really well. I do my Splinter Cell videos this way 😀

My YouTube channel

Reply 9 of 23, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Yea it would be interesting to see how you go!

With newer gear I always use a Nvidia card with DVI / VGA dualhead. They clone under DOS and can be cloned under Windows. Capture DVI and work off VGA. Works really well. I do my Splinter Cell videos this way 😀

Yeah, that is my way of doing it as well (if possible for the content). That is the main purpose of PC4 in this setup.

Reply 10 of 23, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have been using KVM's for many years. I have about 4 Belkin 4 Soho's (4 port with sound and mic. switching) and some older Belkins for old machines with serial ports for mice (use a PS/2 mouse and it emulates a serial one at the machine).

omniview2.JPG

Attachment.SubType=MAIN

Recently snagged a 2 port Belkin Soho DVI to test it out on newer machines.

100_2249.JPG

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 11 of 23, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What's the display quality like going through those Belkins?

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 12 of 23, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is the KVM I'm using:

InfoSmart-DATA-SWITCH-KVM-4PC-SE-1VGA-2PS2-19-INKM04.jpg
INFOSMART INKM04

[quote]The INKM04 is a 19'' Rackmount KVM Switch that is designed to give robust and reliable KVM switching performance under harsh and critical environment. It allows you to control 4 servers / PCs using one keyboard, video and mouse. It is a cost-effective rackmount solution for multiple servers / PCs management in corporate server room or on industrial floor.

Robust and Reliable for Corporate Server Room / Industrial Floor
The INKM04 Rackmount KVM Switch is robust and durable in metal enclosure, suitable for use in environments pervasive with electromagnetic interference and wherever a sturdy protective metal case is needed to withstand possible impact.

Centralized Rackmount Management
The rackmount design offers a neat placement of the KVM Switch units on the rack for centralized management and also for security enhancement that could be provided by a locked server room.

FEATURES
- 4-port 19'' Rackmount KVM switch in metal enclosure
- PS/2 style keyboard and mouse control
- Support Microsoft IntelliMouseR, IntelliMouse ExplorerR, Logitech NetMouseR and other compatibles
- Direct channel selection and operation using Front-panel push buttons and keyboard hotkeys
- Support for DOS, Windows 95/98/SE/ME/2000/XP, Linux, etc.
- Hot-plugging PCs for maintenance without powering down the KVM Switch or PCs
- LED indicators for easy port status monitoring
- Plug-and-play, no Windows driver software needed for PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 operation
- Buzzer sound for port switching confirmation
- Autoscan mode for quick browsing of all connected computers
- Autoscan delay time programmable through hotkey commands
- High VGA resolution 1920 x 1440
- 19'' rack mount design with metal enclosure for best shielding and protection [/quote]

Reply 14 of 23, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Awesome setup! Reminds me a bit of mine, but taken up a few levels.

I use a Belkin SOHO DVI/USB KVM connected to 4 PCs. Since it is DVI, my one VGA only Retro PC (Win98), uses a Seawell Hammerhead converter. I have a Roland MT-32 and Roland SC-55 (daisy chained) hooked up via a USB Midi adapter. Then sound output from the Rolands goes to the Line-In on my mothership Linux rig.

The audio is a bit crazy, since my modern gamer rig uses 5.1 surround connected to a Logitech Z-640. I connect the L/R channels to the KVM, while the C/S/RL/RR channels are connected directly to the gamer rig. Click my 'Puters' link in my sig to get more details.

I can see why you did what you did so you can actually capture audio/video.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 15 of 23, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Updated the first post with new diagram and a picture.

Just installed the MPU105 and the Yamaha MU80 into the setup.

Reply 17 of 23, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I ended up snagging 3 x 4 port Belkin USB/DVI SOHO KVMS, seem to work ok on the one setup downstairs.

belkin-f1dd104l-diagram.jpg

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 18 of 23, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yesterday one of the Chinese power supplies failed and made the whole system go crazy.

I noticed that something was wrong when the KVM switch failed to work on VGA signals. I unplugged some VGA cables and got an electrical shock while touching the outer ring of the VGA cable. I've never gotten that before so I got very worried. Disconnected all the VGA cables and started to look for the error. Took my monitor and 386 computer out in the living room and it booted up fine, so it wasnt any of the computers that was the problem. Got back, connected it again and got sparks when trying to hook up the VGA cable all of the sudden. Found out that when the 3.5mm jack cable to the sound card was connected the VGA cable continued this behavior. So I then unplugged all the Roland Chinese power adapters to my Roland devices and problem fixed.

I really hope nothing has been fried. My MT32, CM32 and CM500 was never turned on, so might have survived. I'm also worried about the sound cards and the KVM switch and VGA splitter. More testing needed when I get back from work.. Atleast the VGA cards and computers is working fine.

Reply 19 of 23, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It looks like a grounding issue. Do your outlets have a grounding pin? If so, do all your power supplies use it?
If not, one thing that might help is making sure your equipment is conected to the same eletrical circuitry, hopefully with no AC transformers along the way. Here at the university we get 220V, but the building has big 220V/110V transformers, and the rooms usually have two rows of outlets (one 220V and one 127V). Once I had issues with an arduino (plugged in an exernal PC PSU on the 220V outlet with the power on line jumpered with a paper clip) connecting to a PC (110V). After tikering for a while I saw a spark while conecting a cable, so I measured the difference between the 0V of the PC and of the PSU and I was getting 90V oO. Connecting them to the same outlet solved the issue.