VOGONS

Return to BiS

Topic actions

First post, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know that I've discussed (at length) building a BiS system for the year 2001 before, and beaten the topic to death among my friends, but I've finally started to get my greedy little hands on some of the parts that I interpret as best for that year.

Of course you all would much rather see pictures rather than read my ramblings, I'm sure. I know I would.

Very recently, I acquired this little gem for which I have expended no small effort in hunting (for a decent price anyway). I love me some Audigy.
zi4q.jpg

This of course is my first selection for Hard Disk Drive. At 7200 RPMs and 80GB the Seagate Barracuda ATA IV is not exactly the fastest of the fastest when compared to the SCSI Drives like the Cheetah X15 36LP, but since I struggled with even the most basic functions of SCSI drives and even managed to somehow buy the wrong type of Cheetah for the tests, I think I'll keep the Barracuda as my primary.

wjgy.jpg

I'm torn in three directions for the rest of the system. AMD 1900+, Pentium III 1.4, and the 2.0 Pentium 4. Because of my good experiences with AMD and Pentium III, I'm leaning in that direction, but of course the allure of potentially being one of the few people to set up a respectable Pentium 4 system has me teetering.

If I go with the P3 Tualatin, (due to a chipped heat sink clip) I may have to swap this into the motherboard that I have:

zhkv.jpg

😖
Glad to be back, my friends.

Reply 1 of 3, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK. So I have dug up a few more parts and even set aside a PIII to test some of the components.
The Motherboard is one that I've listed before and shared pictures of already (GA-6OXET), so I won't bother relisting them.
The board maxes at a whopping 512MB of ram. Hence this:
2q97q.jpg

It works beautifully with the system, though I'm tempted to run tests to see if it's faster than running 2x 256MB or 4x 128MB sticks... but another time.

Video is of grave importance to a gamer, so I spent quite some time researching the best cards for 2001.
I came up with a list of Voodoos, PowerVR, etc... but the only ones that jumped out at me were the Geforce 3 Ti500, and the ATi 8500. Perhaps a Voodoo 1 or 2 in a PCI slot will fill in the rest. I really don't know about that though.
I settled with the ATi, due to it's availability and the fact that it actually seems better overall in benchmarks.
952j.jpg
Happy camper right there.

Trying to decide on several other parts, and any suggestions/information is welcome.

Reply 2 of 3, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've settled on the AMD 1900+ CPU
My potential parts are:
1900+ AMD CPU (surprise!)
ATi 8500 GPU (AGP)
Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 80GB 7200RPM (IDE)
Audigy Platinum EX soundcard
The case is going to be from an old CyberPower *(from 2001)
Still working on the rest...

Reply 3 of 3, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm having some issues with operating system and some hardware, but once I iron those out, are there any particular benchmarks that I should try first?

I'm looking to see how it would compare to P4 2.0GHz systems from 2001 as well.