VOGONS

First post, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What would be the best low cpu load pci nic to keep for use on a 486 era pci mainboard.
regarding any 486 pci chipset.

Any one studied on this, did some benching?
Realtek cards, Intel, Via, 3com, Amd cards.

Also there are new and older 3com and intel nic's with large qfp's and some with small bga's , are they compatible and share the same cpu load?

Reply 2 of 18, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

I had good luck with Intel PRO 100 however

Me too. Tried two pro100s, one from 1998(?) with a large chip, one from around 2003 with a small chip, both worked equally fine.

Reply 3 of 18, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Definitely not Realtek (that CPU hogging 8129 series gave me intermittent CPU pauses during internet games).

I had good luck with Intel PRO 100 however

Same here. ..and yes Realtek sucked for me as well

Reply 6 of 18, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I did do some speed analysis between 3Com 3c905C-TX-M and the Intel Pro 100-something. The data and discussion is on Vogons somewhere. IIRC, with both cards utilising checksum offload, their performances were similar on a 486. I think the possible benefit of the Intel Pro 100 was that it may handle a 40 MHz PCI bus better than the 3Com card. I think the maximum throughput was between 2-3 MB/s.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 7 of 18, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another happy 486 owner using a 3C905C-TXM here (it was lying around)
Intel gets bonus sexy marks in my book though

Reply 10 of 18, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Won't the CPU get utilised at 100% load regardless of what brand 100mb/s PCI card you use? The CPU tries to push for the maximum bus speed but doesn't even come close. An interesting test might be to determine what is the slowest Pentium CPU on a socket 5/7 board which allows for, say, 7.5 MB/s throughput.

Reply 11 of 18, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

Won't the CPU get utilised at 100% load regardless of what brand 100mb/s PCI card you use? The CPU tries to push for the maximum bus speed but doesn't even come close. An interesting test might be to determine what is the slowest Pentium CPU on a socket 5/7 board which allows for, say, 7.5 MB/s throughput.

I agree. I never understood why anyone would use a 100M NIC on a 486. It will free up the CPU to actually use the data if you use a 10M NIC
Any data you will transfer in and out will be limited by the disk space and RAM of the 486 anyway

Reply 12 of 18, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For me, I used to have my http/ftp servers on my fast 486 with lots of RAM and SCSI disk access, so 100 mbit was at least 4x faster than 10 mbit. For any 486 build, if you think you're going to do a lot of large file transfers, or you just don't like waiting around, 100 mbit ethernet is the way to go.

Reply 13 of 18, by asdf53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have tested the following cards on a FIC 486-VIP-IO board under Windows 3.1 and 95:

Realtek RTL8139C (drivers for DOS/Win 3.1/95/98 from here)
Worked fine. This card is dirt cheap and has great compatibility across the board.

Realtek RTL8169SC
Card wasn't detected and the status LEDs did not come on. Because this card is fairly new (gigabit ethernet), it probably only works on newer PCI 2.2 motherboards that provide 3.3V.

Compaq NC3120 (Same as Intel Pro/100, uses the Intel 8255x chip. Drivers for Dos/Win 3.1/95/98 from here).
Worked fine. Throughput on a network share was around 30 kb/s faster than the Realtek card. Drivers seem to be more CPU efficient as the system felt more snappy under Windows 95.

BIOS settings for all cards:

Network card in PCI slot 1, graphics card in PCI slot 2:

bios.jpg
Filename
bios.jpg
File size
177.67 KiB
Views
File comment
486-vip-io bios
File license
Public domain

I had to manually assign an IRQ (9) to the network card. Note the "INT A using IRQ 9" setting below - This needed to be set to the network card's IRQ or the network drivers will fail to load in Windows. If networking is extremely slow or you get freezes and bluescreens with network activity, try to disable the PCI buffer options in BIOS ("CPU to PCI write buffer", "PCI master write buffer", etc). If you get an error message at Windows logon "The network adapter is not working properly", it's probably caused by wrong IRQ/BIOS settings.

One obvious disadvantage of disabling the write buffers is that you get a performance hit when using a PCI graphics card. Doom with CPU to PCI write buffer enabled: 29.23 FPS. Buffer disabled: 27.58 FPS.

Last edited by asdf53 on 2022-11-02, 11:43. Edited 14 times in total.

Reply 15 of 18, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A quality intel nic is probably the best. I use a 1000gt pro something rather

I’d say killer nic but they are hard to find and no 9x support I don’t think

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 16 of 18, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tried this out the other day.

I hooked up an AMD 5x86 computer to my Modern Linksys WIFI Extender ( RE-9000 ) which supports Gigabit connections.
The computer was running Windows 95c.
I tried several NIC’s ( PCI and ISA )
The PCI cards had trouble negotiating with the WIFI Extender Gigabit ports and would cause my computer to “lock up” ( stop working ).
But the 3com 3c509b worked great.

So the conclusion is some PCI network cards may require a Pentium class CPU.
Or may just not work well with a Gigabit port.

So I would stick with reputable NICs like ( 3com, Intel, AMD ) for use in a 486.
Windows 95 come with drivers for these NICs and so they are easy to setup.
I am not sure about the Novell NE2000 YES Ready network cards.
I don’t know if Windows provides drivers for these network cards. But they are certified for Novell Netware ( Client and server ).

To put it simple. The 3com 3c509b ( ISA ) is a Legend. It works in just about every network topology, protocol, Operating system, and Scenario. It surprises me how versatile this card is.
If its a 486 it will work with the 3com 3c509b or it most likely will not work with any other network card.

I was able to get on the internet and surf MSN.com using my Linksys RE-9000 WIFI Extender and 3c509b NIC on a AMD 5x86 CPU computer. I had 32mb of RAM and CF card.

All you need is a 486dx2-50 or better and 3com 3c509b, 8mb ram, basic video card, and a WIFI extender. ( TP-link works good )

Attachments

Reply 17 of 18, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

More photos:

This might be the Best consumer Wifi setup you could get on a 486 home computer.

Attachments

Reply 18 of 18, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh wow. I didn’t even realize the internet still talked to old browsers like that…

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)