VOGONS

First post, by Jr_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello everyone,

my sb16 (ct2290) right channel volume is very very very low compared to the left channel that is working as supposed.
I didn't change anything on mixerset, I checked the cable that's connected to the amplifier, I even tested with headphones.....

any idea?
thanks!

my build

Reply 4 of 15, by Jr_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, did another test.... an AudioCD played ok, so no connector problem.
I think I'll leave it turned on during the night playing a looped XM file. after that I'll try that cap heating trick

my build

Reply 7 of 15, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some things to check:

- Is the signal distorted or only low in amplitude?
- Does the problem occur with both PCM and Adlib/OPL sound?
- Are the line-out and speaker-out jacks both faulty?
- Do signals from line-in pass through correctly? (I guess it will since you say CD input works)
- Can you spot any scratches, interrupted traces, burned or loose components?

Reply 8 of 15, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are you sure the jack socket or how you call it is clean and makes a good contact to the jackplug.
Maybe the contacts are off and or oxidized by moist and has a resistance for contact.

Reply 9 of 15, by Jr_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

- signal is ok, just very low volume on right channel.
- using opl, both channels are very low. using pcm, only the right channel is low, left is ok
- both jacks have the same result.
- line-in pass through is working as supposed.
- did a visual inspection even on those small components on the card and I don't see anything bad.
I have used this PC last month without any problem, yesterday I turned it on again and happens this...

jwt27 wrote:
Some things to check: […]
Show full quote

Some things to check:

- Is the signal distorted or only low in amplitude?
- Does the problem occur with both PCM and Adlib/OPL sound?
- Are the line-out and speaker-out jacks both faulty?
- Do signals from line-in pass through correctly? (I guess it will since you say CD input works)
- Can you spot any scratches, interrupted traces, burned or loose components?

my build

Reply 11 of 15, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you sure it's not a software problem then? It really sounds like your mixer settings are simply off.
I don't know off the top of my head how the SB16 drivers work but is there some way you can reset it to default, like in the mixer program or by removing/replacing some INI file?

If it does turn out to be a hardware problem I would suspect the DSP/mixer or DAC chip, or perhaps a resistor/capacitor failed somewhere.

Reply 12 of 15, by Jr_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok did another test, I took the card to another pc, had to reinstall sb16 utilities.
while using diagnose.exe to setup the card, the problem also appears when there's the 8bit/16bit/synth test.
I even used mixerset.exe to configure the vol/pan but it didn't solve.
Tested inside win98se.... same thing....

my build

Reply 14 of 15, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just dug around in my sound card pile and found a (broken) AWE64 with the same CT1745A + CT1703 combo. Will see if I can figure out how that works.

Do you have (access to) any electronics tools? Things like a multimeter, soldering iron, oscilloscope?

Reply 15 of 15, by Jr_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I do have a soldering iron and a cheap dmm but no oscilloscope. I'm not expert at soldering but I can revive my skill on some dead motherboard or something 🤣

jwt27 wrote:

Just dug around in my sound card pile and found a (broken) AWE64 with the same CT1745A + CT1703 combo. Will see if I can figure out how that works.

Do you have (access to) any electronics tools? Things like a multimeter, soldering iron, oscilloscope?

my build