VOGONS

Video Card Power Consumption

Topic actions

First post, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was wondering whether anyone had a good idea of how much power older video cards draw. The reason I ask is that I have an OEM box (HP Pavilion 4550z with Win98SE) that came with only a 100W power supply. I'm sourcing parts for another, more powerful rig, but I'd like to keep this one with the original case and PS. Right now, the PS is running a 466MHz Coppermine Celeron, 64 MB RAM, Diamond Monster Fusion AGP (Banshee), Riptide sound card, IDE-to-CF controller (4GB Hitachi Microdrive), CD-ROM drive, and floppy drive. I haven't encountered any problems with this setup.

However, I'd like to play around with other video cards to get the best performance possible. I can get around 50fps at 640x480 in Quake 2 with demo1.dm2. I tried a GeForce 4 Ti4600, but the internal speaker beeped a few times, and I did not get any output. I *think* this may be because the card is drawing too much power, but I'm not sure. So, I'd like to know if cards like the Voodoo 3 or TNT2 draw around the same amount of power as the Banshee. Perhaps there is an ATI solution as well. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Reply 1 of 23, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This one is the best that I could find back when I tried to look up the same information you're asking for now 😉
http://archive.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp?s= … &c=7&t=9354&p=0

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 23, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't worry its not much except for the heat, around 10w on average for a V3/Banshee. For a 4600Ti that will be around 25-40w off the 12v rail and a little from off the agp connector. The psu isn't good enough even for the time and I highly recommend that you use a different card or better a whole different system. Those HP power supplies form factor is often proprietary and the units themselves are very poor quality compared to the standards of the time. It will handle a V3 era card but not much more unless low end like a MX.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 5 of 23, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I asked a similar question recently:

Stress-Testing a PSU

After hearing what others had to say and conducting my own tests with a Belkin Conserve Insight, I can offer this:

You probably don't want to run anything more powerful than a Voodoo 3 or a TNT2 card.

Realistically, with your Celeron 466, your best bet is a Voodoo 3 3000 AGP. I think that card would match your system perfectly.

Reply 6 of 23, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A Geforce2 card would also be a good low power candidate.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 7 of 23, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If that's, an old HP, and its a AC-Bel Power sup.
I'd Go looking for another Power sup, those things when they blow they look like a dragster, using nitro. Usually take the mobo with them too.
Would not trust it. Get a new M-atx power sup, I'm guessing its the M-atx variant since its so low power.
Probably 2.5a on the 12v rail or something. Not very useful for expansion either.

Last edited by AlphaWing on 2014-06-11, 14:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 23, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I appreciate all of the good advice. I believe that a new micro ATX PS is in my future because the stock one makes me nervous. I've attached a photo of it. I'm off to Newegg to check out replacements, but any recommendations would be nice. The PS is 5" x 4" x 3". I like the look and size of this era of Pavilions, so I'm planning to stick with the MB and case.

I also plugged the computer into my Kill-A-Watt and saw that it draws about 62W during a Quake 2 timedemo. I read in the other thread that total wattage doesn't mean as much as what is drawn from each rail, however.

I believe that a V3 and a TNT2 are on the shopping list regardless of the PS upgrade.

3e8cb336-c0d2-410a-b120-03a54a897222.jpg

Last edited by boxpressed on 2014-06-11, 14:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 23, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AlphaWing wrote:
If that's, an old HP, and its a AC-Bel Power sup. I'd Go looking for another Power sup, those things when they blow they look li […]
Show full quote

I'd Go looking for another Power sup, those things when they blow they look like a dragster, using nitro. Usually take the mobo with them too.
Would not trust it. Get a new M-atx power sup, I'm guessing its the M-atx variant since its so low power.
Probably 2.5a on the 12v rail or something. Not very useful for expansion either.

I knew Ac Bel's weren't the best, but are they really that bad?

I have one (coolermaster branded. I know, not the best but I was out of options at that time) and so far it's always been working fine. But if it really blows up catastrophically like the REALLY crappy brands, then I'll decommission it asap and replace it with one of my spare FSP units.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 23, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
AlphaWing wrote:
If that's, an old HP, and its a AC-Bel Power sup. I'd Go looking for another Power sup, those things when they blow they look li […]
Show full quote

I knew Ac Bel's weren't the best, but are they really that bad?

I have one (coolermaster branded. I know, not the best but I was out of options at that time) and so far it's always been working fine. But if it really blows up catastrophically like the REALLY crappy brands, then I'll decommission it asap and replace it with one of my spare FSP units.

Yea they are, I'd rank them next to DEER power sups.
Atleast in the spectacular way they go out. Flaming from the rear, and almost always taking the motherboard out.
I've had a few of these older celeron HP M-atx machines, the models that have a serial port in front, and a lovely windows ME sticker, that came with AC-Bels, and have witnessed it twice sadly.
Tho it was no huge loss, as those mobos had no ISA slots and it didn't take out the PCI cards or memory.

Boxpressed doesn't seem to have an AC-BEL, but the PSU still, doesn't look like something I'd want to trust either, with those ratings on it.

Reply 11 of 23, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I did a little experiment with the Kill-A-Watt. The computer with the Diamond Monster Fusion was using 39W at idle in Win98SE. I removed the board and used the onboard PCI graphics (ATI Rage IIC), and it is idling at about 25W. I'm not sure how much power the Rage IIC draws, but it is right to conclude that the Banshee draws at least 14W?

Reply 13 of 23, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
boxpressed wrote:

Well, I did a little experiment with the Kill-A-Watt. The computer with the Diamond Monster Fusion was using 39W at idle in Win98SE. I removed the board and used the onboard PCI graphics (ATI Rage IIC), and it is idling at about 25W. I'm not sure how much power the Rage IIC draws, but it is right to conclude that the Banshee draws at least 14W?

Yes it is, and it would be value quite higher than my expectations. But keep in mind Monster Fusion is not regular Banshee, maybe Diamond raised the power gates to get the extra 15 MHz.

Reply 14 of 23, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

PSU efficiency affects that measurement however. Old PSUs tended to be around 70% efficient. PSU efficiency is also worse at low power levels. So that Banshee is probably more like 8W.

Reply 15 of 23, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KT7AGuy wrote:
boxpressed wrote:

any recommendations would be nice.

Although it isn't currently in stock, I have found these to work quite well:

Rosewill RV350 350W

This one looks nice but is a little too big for the case I have.

I tried my only other card of the same era as the Banshee: a Diamond Viper II (Savage 2000). Wouldn't post. Maybe it has good taste. Kidding aside, this may mean that the V3 and TNT2 may draw more power than this PS has got. It may be tricky to find a quality mATX PS that isn't too expensive. Do all of them still come with the 8-pin header?

Reply 18 of 23, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

PSU efficiency affects that measurement however. Old PSUs tended to be around 70% efficient. PSU efficiency is also worse at low power levels. So that Banshee is probably more like 8W.

You hit it right on the head there. The PSU isn't 100% efficient, which means that not all of the power it draws at the wall becomes DC power inside the machine. As far as how efficient they actually are, 70% or less sounds about right on average for older machines (I have a Thermaltake that specifically stated on the box that it was 65% average efficiency; it's from around 2002 - I'd assume other PSUs from that age and older to be similar, lower-quality units likely worse). Couldn't find anything specific on the model mentioned here (not surprising), but some guesstimates based on its specified maximum output and maximum AC input would probably put its efficiency closer to 40-50% (so even at 62W running Quake 2, it's probably only supplying around 30-40W internally - even if we give it a huge benefit of doubt and say its 70% efficient).

Reply 19 of 23, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

I am under impression he measured them with same PSU. If the efficiency varying with load comes into play then it would mean even bigger difference in real consumption. If the Rage is powered down when dedicated card is used, the ~14 Watts are still realistic.