"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 42 of 46, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The mobo is an Aopen AX6BC right? I guess the "slowdown tool" you're looking for is right there in the BIOS. 😉

Limited choices though (can't use 90MHz as I asked) but still:
FSB: 66 / 68 / 75 / 83 / 100 / 103 / 112 / 117 / 124 / 129 / 133 / 138 / 143 / 148 / 153

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 43 of 46, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote:

That's my old slowdown utility thread 😀

Bookmarked, saved a *.maff copy, and downloaded all the files as well. Thanks!

A huge THANK YOU to everybody who has replied! I value all of your comments and ideas!

Since the V1 seems to only have issues with Expendable and Incoming at >400mhz, I still think I'd like to keep it for this theoretical build.

If I ever get around to completing this, I'll be sure to benchmark it with both the V3 and the Ti500 to compare performance. However, I think I'd like to stick with the V3 regardless of the outcome for the sake of compatibility.

Reply 44 of 46, by flufetor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
archsan wrote on 2014-07-18, 14:44:
This poster suggested 450MHz: […]
Show full quote

This poster suggested 450MHz:

shspvr wrote:

When it come to old 3dfx Voodoo cards.
3Dfx Voodoo Graphics PCI You want low end 450Mhz P2 or 450Mhz P3 CPU.

CPU limited
Though 400 is alright too. 😀

I have just tested a Pentium III Katmai 450 with Incoming and no luck, same texture glitches that Phil described. With a Pentium II 400, the same 440ZX based computer displays the textures flawlessly.

Reply 45 of 46, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Voodoo1 has some issues:
- some drivers are better on faster machines than others (I think 2.43 was best)
- with glide there will be less or none texture-glitches on faster machines. if the machine is too fast, than glide will not work anymore (black-screen)
- with D3D (incoming, motoracer and lot's of other D3D-games) you will likely get texture-glitches from 366 mhz and above.

That is what I recognized.

Doc

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 46 of 46, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Different card models using the original Voodoo Graphics chipset behave differently on different machines with different drivers and different applications. At PIII performance levels even the best combinations start glitching.
All of this has been discussed numerous times. This thread is from 2012. Is this necro really necessary?