VOGONS

Reply 20020 of 27171, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Checked two cd-rom drives.
The first needed some oil and grease; now works but with front bezel it doesn't get the all the way in or has issues ejecting the tray.
Second cannot read data nor audio cds; I can only assume it's good for parts.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 20021 of 27171, by 4dam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cleaning up this beauty 😉

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-6OX-rev-11#ov

Attachments

• 24297455.jpg
    Filename
    24297455.jpg
    File size
    189.68 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Instagram Retro

Reply 20022 of 27171, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow that must be old, 6 Ox, how much is that in horsepower or kilowatts? 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 20023 of 27171, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Reinstalled my usual mini-itx Atom Dual Core trying to build a microatx lowest power SBC like everyday old hw config. And with only the onboard devices so I had to use the x86 version of W8.1 to make use of the problematic GMA3600 igpu. Too bad it had WDDM 1.1 x86 drivers only cause it suffers clearly from the cpu usage side even if accelerated. W7 x86 would be the best os but I don't have it. Anyway with a 500W CoolerMaster Masterwatt White the efficiency while not best at this wattage, still get the whole system to work around 18-21W beside the DVD drive usage where it can reach almost 30W.
But any other tasks are around the 20W and in idle even 18W stable at the wall. With a PicoPSU I might get a couple of watts less of power usage but the external power AC-DC I have is cheap and not really the best I might say and it was the cheapest 60W one I found. So I suppose a internal PSU might have more protections and better durability even if low end like this one from the datasheet it already has most protections, active PFC, etc..
Eventually I might use the GT210 PCI I got but this would mean have 25W at idle and 35-40W under gfx stress. The slow onboard gpu sure asks probably only 3-5W only compared to the 20-25W of the dedicated card.

Reply 20024 of 27171, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-09-28, 14:40:

I went through some P4 bits, realised I have 3 "sorta interesting" socket 478 P4 CPUs but only one "meh" motherboard (Some MSI with SiS DDR chipset) I am wondering if I ought to rectify that situation while they're not expensive or not. Interesting is subjective of course, but I've got one 1.8A Northwood that was the overclock king of the "thank god RAMbus is dead and now we can have decent DDR boards" era. One 2.4 HT that should also be a sweet spot overclocker of the HT 478s. Then lastly a 2.8 2nd rev Prescott, which S-spec claims has EMT64 https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/p … 33-mhz-fsb.html but I probably need a late chipset to take advantage of that.

What's the sspec of the 2.8? According to https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentium_ ... 00EN).html the 511 only came in lga775?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 20025 of 27171, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh yeah that IGPU is a royal PITA, got an atom DC netbook here with it in, ended up on win7 after going all round the houses trying to get it working on 10. Sorry dear, looks like your speed demon dual core that takes 4G is stuck on 7 while I attempt to enjoy W10 on my n470 with 2G 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 20026 of 27171, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
H3nrik V! wrote on 2021-09-29, 17:14:
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-09-28, 14:40:

I went through some P4 bits, realised I have 3 "sorta interesting" socket 478 P4 CPUs but only one "meh" motherboard (Some MSI with SiS DDR chipset) I am wondering if I ought to rectify that situation while they're not expensive or not. Interesting is subjective of course, but I've got one 1.8A Northwood that was the overclock king of the "thank god RAMbus is dead and now we can have decent DDR boards" era. One 2.4 HT that should also be a sweet spot overclocker of the HT 478s. Then lastly a 2.8 2nd rev Prescott, which S-spec claims has EMT64 https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/p … 33-mhz-fsb.html but I probably need a late chipset to take advantage of that.

What's the sspec of the 2.8? According to https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentium_ ... 00EN).html the 511 only came in lga775?

It's this one, https://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SL7E2.html which CPU world doesn't have down as a 511, but put in the S Spec and intel gives me that page... which you'll see says it's for both 478 and 775 in the middle.

Reply 20027 of 27171, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does not have 511 etched on it either. Though I remember Intel announcing the numbering scheme and it taking a few months for CPUs to have it etched on. Also this one seems to be assembled in Malaysia whereas CPU World has just Costa Rica and Philippines pics..

Edit: Dammit, that was the right way up in my editor.

Edit2: Innnnteresting, look at underside of SL7E2 in this collection, (Mine same too lazy to take pic) and the underside of the SL7QB which all sources agree is 64Bit capable. https://www.x86-guide.net/Xhoba/en/collection … Socket+478.html

Attachments

• sl7e2.jpg
    Filename
    sl7e2.jpg
    File size
    922.59 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    SL7E2 Malay.
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by BitWrangler on 2021-09-29, 18:10. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 20028 of 27171, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-09-29, 17:25:

Oh yeah that IGPU is a royal PITA, got an atom DC netbook here with it in, ended up on win7 after going all round the houses trying to get it working on 10. Sorry dear, looks like your speed demon dual core that takes 4G is stuck on 7 while I attempt to enjoy W10 on my n470 with 2G 🤣

I know it's a very complicated iGPU and it's like the old alternative early video cards, when they were difficult to get working on games they get more interesting somehow.. 😁
The board has its single module DDR3@1066 but of the 4GB obviously on x86 I use only 3GB, there's no PAE istruction solution to solve that. But still the system is slower than I remembered. If GPUZ see it right the SGX545 should have 4 unified shaders and it was clearly mobile oriented so it's never been a surprise. Too bad cause the features were there, H264 1080p@60fps can be decoded easily with 20% cpu usage on DXVA2 native. Also a big problem here is that the W8.1 is not clearly its o.s. when it'd better benefit from WDDM 1.3 drivers, not 1.1. The GT210 PCI has 1.2 drivers, the GT610 has 1.3 but it begins to requires too much power and what'd be the point compared to some GMA4500 and a Socket 775 low power config at that wattage point. So I'm thinking.. if I use the GT210 PCI and reinstall the x64 version.. but wattage should jump already.. lately I'm trying to save power current in the house, I might get again a Raspberry Pi at this point.. 😁

The drivers story of this gpu is a real mistery.. beside not a speed oriented solution it could have been a DX10 gpu with at least imho WDDM 1.2 drivers like the GT210. I tested a lot this and some things are a long story like the missing x64 drivers (beside a single not well clear official or not Beta) and the DX9.3 features limit, even the GUI itself of W8.1 is not clearly optimized for it. Still some games run like Far Cry or GTA IV, but it seems like it's really limited by drivers at first.

Reply 20029 of 27171, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-09-29, 17:45:

Does not have 511 etched on it either. Though I remember Intel announcing the numbering scheme and it taking a few months for CPUs to have it etched on. Also this one seems to be assembled in Malaysia whereas CPU World has just Costa Rica and Philippines pics..

Maybe they introduced the numbering scheme at the LGA775 time .. But very interesting, that the sspec points to a 64-bit .. When will you have it up and running? 😁 😁 😁

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 20030 of 27171, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
H3nrik V! wrote on 2021-09-29, 18:11:

Maybe they introduced the numbering scheme at the LGA775 time .. But very interesting, that the sspec points to a 64-bit .. When will you have it up and running? 😁 😁 😁

Ooof, IDK, some time between now and the heat death of the universe seems good, I doubt the power will be on afterwards. I had best round up some Wiccans and see if they've got a good summoning spell, because I really haven't got a clue where to look for that SY-P4VTE that I might have that it might run on and might also maybe support 64bit.

Reply 20031 of 27171, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought a 754 1.6GHz Sempron a week or 2 ago with the idea of a fast W98 PC. However I seem to have destroyed my W98 disk and can't be bothered getting W98 installed via other means so I stuck XP on it with a MX440 and it's pretty usable for (very) early 2000s gaming but seems to have some compatibility problems in games like Driver and Mafia (just want to benchmark it really). Got my new CDs arriving tomorrow so can stick 98 on it.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 20032 of 27171, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-09-29, 18:20:

Ooof, IDK, some time between now and the heat death of the universe seems good, I doubt the power will be on afterwards. I had best round up some Wiccans and see if they've got a good summoning spell, because I really haven't got a clue where to look for that SY-P4VTE that I might have that it might run on and might also maybe support 64bit.

Damnit, I found out I had one myself, so I may have to find a board then to test it in 🤣

Reply 20033 of 27171, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I've been working on 1 of my PCs with an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ CPU, that I've been setting up on and off over the past year as a 2003-era gaming system.

I hadn't worked on it in a while and had noted some stability issues already. I installed several games today and yesterday and all seemed fine, but then it came time to install Doom 3. Doom 3 installed fine, but wasn't playable, constantly crashing to the desktop after a couple of minutes of gameplay. Halo would also do the same. I ran Prime 95 and it failed with "Hardware Error detected".

Suspecting the CPU may be overheating, I replaced the cooler with a bigger Thermaltake branded cooler from another Socket A/462 system. The CPU temperature is fine, a little cooler, but after a BSOD trying to run Prime 95, it now no longer boots any OS. The new cooler was a little tighter fitting, so I'm beginning to suspect a motherboard issue in the area of the socket itself. Going to have to strip it all down tomorrow and do some further testing out of the case, as well as testing a different PSU. The motherboard I'm using has the 4-pin power, so it gives me a bit more flexibility with regards to more modern PSUs.

Reply 20034 of 27171, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PTherapist wrote on 2021-09-30, 16:32:

Today I've been working on 1 of my PCs with an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ CPU...
...I hadn't worked on it in a while and had noted some stability issues already.

That's gonna be a barton isn't it? Hope it isn't doing what a Tbred was doing on me, though you should check out the motherboard thoroughly first. So this Tbred a 2600+ of unknown history, came in a batch of random socket As, put it in a KT400 board, running stock, ran hot and flaky, really hot... okay I thinks, maybe I'll just knock it down to 266 bus run it as a 1900+, relegate it to a basic office/websurfer... for a day it was fine... then went hot and flaky again... damn! Okay, there's really something wrong with this CPU methinks, I'll DRASTICALLY cut it's clock and power consumption and give it some really low end duties.. so I modded the bridges, cutting it back to 10x multi, dropped the volts by 0.2.. stuck it in a 100/200 SDRAM KT133 board for 1000Mhz even and yay, it's running cool... for like 24 hours... then it's hot and flaky again. 🧱

Reply 20035 of 27171, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
H3nrik V! wrote on 2021-09-30, 06:20:
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-09-29, 18:20:

Damnit, I found out I had one myself, so I may have to find a board then to test it in 🤣

Well I wish you good luck in scaring something up, it's probably not that 478 boards are rare at the moment, just at the "not worth the bother to sell" stage I think.

However, luck of a sort happened here. I realised that I was thinking of the MSI board as "that one 478/DDR" I've got, but also in a different area thinking of a system unit also as "that one 478/DDR" I've got. It's that mindwipe when you go from one room to another kind of thing I guess that stopped me going "Doh! That's two different things! I must have TWO." sooner. However, that system unit is at the bottom of a stack in an awkward corner, gah, I might not know for months what's in there, I'd have to put away everything I'm working on and play "tower of hanoi" with system units for a day to shuffle it to the top. Unless... I can pop the drivebay cover off and sneak my phone in there to take a pic... (see pic) (btw very useful technique might consider buying one of those "ear cameras" to do even better in tighter spots) .... AHA!!! Nothing else in the world could have those stupid purple DIMM slots right??? It's gotta be the SY-P4VTE... so good news I've got one, bad news it's in one of the worst places it could be.

Attachments

• p4vte.jpg
    Filename
    p4vte.jpg
    File size
    884.04 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Peek-a-boo, I see you mr Soyo.
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 20036 of 27171, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-09-30, 16:48:
PTherapist wrote on 2021-09-30, 16:32:

Today I've been working on 1 of my PCs with an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ CPU...
...I hadn't worked on it in a while and had noted some stability issues already.

That's gonna be a barton isn't it? Hope it isn't doing what a Tbred was doing on me, though you should check out the motherboard thoroughly first. So this Tbred a 2600+ of unknown history, came in a batch of random socket As, put it in a KT400 board, running stock, ran hot and flaky, really hot... okay I thinks, maybe I'll just knock it down to 266 bus run it as a 1900+, relegate it to a basic office/websurfer... for a day it was fine... then went hot and flaky again... damn! Okay, there's really something wrong with this CPU methinks, I'll DRASTICALLY cut it's clock and power consumption and give it some really low end duties.. so I modded the bridges, cutting it back to 10x multi, dropped the volts by 0.2.. stuck it in a 100/200 SDRAM KT133 board for 1000Mhz even and yay, it's running cool... for like 24 hours... then it's hot and flaky again. 🧱

Yeah it's a Barton. I've had this 3200+ CPU since new back in the day, but have never previously used it in this motherboard (an MSI K7N2). I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's something simple.

Reply 20037 of 27171, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cleaned and old IBM Thinkpad T22 (P III 900mhz Coppermine in micro-pga)) - in bad shape with issue with the LCD. Bought for 5€ just to test cpus as the socket is easily accessible.
Then comes a PAckard Bell with a Duron 1200mhz - in medium shape; previous owner put a normal fan to replace the dead one; audio is awful even at max you can barely hear sound (it sucks); had to resolder one speaker as it came off - for cpu testing - 10€
Last an Acer Aspire 5630. Medium shape - failing fan with big rattling noise + one speaker doesn't work. Good to test cpus- 10€ Maybe a retro box for win 2000...

They all have the minimum ram requirements, even for their time they went for cheap.
Business machines that reflect their usage.
Testing and cleaning took quite some time and was more of a chore than a learning experience.

IBM thinkpad has the sticky issue of aging coating. Boring.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 20038 of 27171, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Working again on my Athlon XP build. I think I've figured out why I've been having stability issues and why they got worse when I changed the CPU cooler - the motherboard is warped right around the area of the CPU socket!

I didn't spot it at first as it's very subtle, but I noticed that if I removed the CPU cooler and tried to power it on it would turn on for a few seconds and then power off. Whilst running with the cooler, if I lifted the cooler slightly it would also power off after a few seconds. On the motherboard itself, there is visibly a small gap between the socket and the motherboard where the board is slightly bent.

Oh well, RIP MSI K7N2. Time for a plan B. All my other Socket A motherboards have bad caps, so I'll either have to buy a replacement in the meantime or switch to Socket 754 + Athlon 64 instead for my 2003 era gaming build

Reply 20039 of 27171, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd look through the boards for badcaps with 20% higher to 50% lower values of the caps that are on the K7N2 and swap them over