VOGONS

Reply 20480 of 27412, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They seem to have a good selection on Etsy https://www.etsy.com/ca/market/a_round_tuit 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 20481 of 27412, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found out this thing: https://archive.org/details/promisevg4controller
And it's quite a boost! 😮

I always had a feeling that VLB IDE controller (without any fancy cache on board) is just a "feel good" thing. But now it does DMA! 😮 I'm maxing out my CF card on 486! 😮

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 20482 of 27412, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yah, you really need a dab of poligrip on your false teeth before you put a DMA capable VLB I/O card in your machine... some of them even do DMA mode 2!!! ... the drivers were a bit of a bastard to find in the mid 90s though.... There were a lot of "white box" ones around with no floppies and single sheet 9th generation faxed/copied manual in cryptic chinglish.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 20483 of 27412, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-12-15, 21:26:

They seem to have a good selection on Etsy https://www.etsy.com/ca/market/a_round_tuit 🤣

Kwal bro....

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 20484 of 27412, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, baking soda did something but I still have the marks left by the degreaser going down.
Or maybe look for a better degreaser, more concentrated.
Annoying.

I also have a botched retrobrite front panel with left behind "stains".
I haven't tried to clean with some micro particles cleaner.
I definitely have to use the tank method + sun.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 20486 of 27412, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2021-12-16, 10:50:

Try a magic eraser maybe?

I'll post a pic. Magic eraser does nothing.
I'll bleach it blond 😀 Back to the early 2000's mass hair bleaching!!
🤣

Reply 20487 of 27412, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I made a retro synth track on my vp6 music tower to share its Peter Gunn.
Its more of a parody expression that it isn't just a gunshot but has words too. (not like originally intended)
Hardware / software is well over 20 years old now and I haven't seen much improvement since only
I think midi music scores are from real musicians.
Its based on midi sequence played on yamaha xg100Plus VL and a movie action scene where shot is fired.
Caution has explicit words but is not a real situation - pure acting.
You may use it and share it without profit or profit for charity only.
Lead sounds a bit like BB-8 come think of it 🤣

Merry christmas my friends.

Attachments

• BB-8,_Star_Wars_The_Force_Awakens.jpg
    Filename
    BB-8,_Star_Wars_The_Force_Awakens.jpg
    File size
    7.98 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    BB-8 is not the synthesizer you are looking for lol
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    peter gunn2.mp3
    File size
    4.42 MiB
    Downloads
    51 downloads
    File comment
    Peter Gunn 2021
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by zapbuzz on 2021-12-17, 04:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 20488 of 27412, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

See pic

Attachments

Reply 20489 of 27412, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zapbuzz wrote on 2021-12-16, 11:38:
I made a retro synth track on my vp6 music tower to share its Peter Gunn. Its more of a parody expression that it isn't just a g […]
Show full quote

I made a retro synth track on my vp6 music tower to share its Peter Gunn.
Its more of a parody expression that it isn't just a gunshot but has words too. (not like originally intended)
Hardware / software is well over 20 years old now and I haven't seen much improvement since only
I think midi music scores are from real musicians.
Its based on midi sequence played on yamaha xg100Plus VL and a movie action scene where shot is fired.
Caution has explicit words but is not a real situation - pure acting.
You may use it and share it without profit or profit for charity only.
Lead sounds a bit like BB-8 come think of it 🤣

Merry christmas my friends.

Nice and funny track ! 😀

Merry Christmas to you too.

Reply 20490 of 27412, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nexxen wrote on 2021-12-16, 11:29:
I'll post a pic. Magic eraser does nothing. I'll bleach it blond :) Back to the early 2000's mass hair bleaching!! LOL […]
Show full quote

🤣

Try a fine grade emery or sand paper.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 20491 of 27412, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Had a look inside a Toshiba 110CT that had been sitting in a woodworking workshop for years, thought I'd clean some sawdust out before seeing if it still worked. Discovered that there's not one, but two NiMH batteries, both of them leaking. Finally got the main board out and the heatsink off:

Toshiba_110CT_BitOfAState.jpg
Filename
File size
142.96 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I think the sawdust has mixed with the battery fluid to form a corrosive paste. Any bets on if it still works? I'm pretty firmly on the 'not a chance' side at the moment.

Reply 20492 of 27412, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
snufkin wrote on 2021-12-16, 17:15:

Had a look inside a Toshiba 110CT that had been sitting in a woodworking workshop for years, thought I'd clean some sawdust out before seeing if it still worked. Discovered that there's not one, but two NiMH batteries, both of them leaking. Finally got the main board out and the heatsink off:

I think the sawdust has mixed with the battery fluid to form a corrosive paste. Any bets on if it still works? I'm pretty firmly on the 'not a chance' side at the moment.

Vinegar treatment, or at least remove as much as you can.
Betting it can work again.

Reply 20493 of 27412, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-12-16, 15:11:
Nexxen wrote on 2021-12-16, 11:29:
I'll post a pic. Magic eraser does nothing. I'll bleach it blond :) Back to the early 2000's mass hair bleaching!! LOL […]
Show full quote

🤣

Try a fine grade emery or sand paper.

Too much work. I'll buy some ultra concentrated degreaser, industrial grade.

Reply 20494 of 27412, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oof, there is a tiny less than .0000001% chance that it might work, but if you fire that poor thing up in its current state Id say there is a good chance of a fire.

Reply 20495 of 27412, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2021-12-16, 18:31:

Oof, there is a tiny less than .0000001% chance that it might work, but if you fire that poor thing up in its current state Id say there is a good chance of a fire.

Well, the board is currently in a bag soaking in methylated spirits/denatured alcohol (only solvent I had enough of just to hand) overnight, so it should burn well.

I'm waiting to see what the damage is under all the gunk. I suspect there will be broken legs on the Toshiba chip near the bottom of the photo (pins 49-64). Keyboard connector (PJ13) could be a problem as well; the end of the flat flexible cable doesn't look pretty and will need fixing up. Long term I think the biggest problem will be if anything corrosive has ended up under the CPU. The rest of the components I reckon I can remove to clean underneath, but I don't have the kit to attempt removing and replacing the CPU. I also need to figure out the minimum assembly required to test the board.

Reply 20496 of 27412, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
snufkin wrote on 2021-12-16, 22:31:
TrashPanda wrote on 2021-12-16, 18:31:

Well, the board is currently in a bag soaking in methylated spirits/denatured alcohol (only solvent I had enough of just to hand) overnight, so it should burn well.

I'm waiting to see what the damage is under all the gunk. I suspect there will be broken legs on the Toshiba chip near the bottom of the photo (pins 49-64). Keyboard connector (PJ13) could be a problem as well; the end of the flat flexible cable doesn't look pretty and will need fixing up. Long term I think the biggest problem will be if anything corrosive has ended up under the CPU. The rest of the components I reckon I can remove to clean underneath, but I don't have the kit to attempt removing and replacing the CPU. I also need to figure out the minimum assembly required to test the board.

Corroded traces wiill also be a big issue, you could run wires for some of them but I suspect there might be more than just a few 🤣.

Reply 20498 of 27412, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just found a X9000 Cpu in one of my storage boxes along with a T9500 and two brand new laptop CPU/GPU coolers .. I for the life of me cannot remember when I bought them or why but knowing me I have one or possibly two laptops buried in storage awaiting upgrades.

DOH...

Now to find the laptops or .. bury the upgrades in a box and forget they are there again.

Reply 20499 of 27412, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I got the worst of the muck off and... well, it's bad, but not as bad as I expected:

Toshiba_110CT_UnderTheMuck.jpg
Filename
Toshiba_110CT_UnderTheMuck.jpg
File size
274.92 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Slightly disappointed. I was half hoping for a nice clear 'this is broken and fixing will take more time than I really want to spend' amount of damage, rather than a 'well, maybe' amount.

There are some broken traces, but all the pins on the 187HP look intact, if a bit thin. Elsewhere, near the second battery plug point, I can see a couple of traces that may be broken, but this area is the worst of it. I think the next step is to see if I can get the 187HP off without breaking any pins. I suspect that the gunk will have glued the pins to the pads and made the metal brittle, so removing it without doing damage could be fun. Then the keyboard connector, which I'd like to try and save if possible but can be replaced. Then those 62Z components (dual diodes I think, HZM6.2Z) and some of the resistor packs. Also want to try and remove the rest of the CPU heatsink to see if there's any more damage.

I think the odds of it working might have doubled. Up from nearly .0000001% to nearly .0000002%.