VOGONS

Reply 21620 of 27350, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-04-29, 03:25:

Look at this real interesting hole though, the eZ80! 🤣

eZ80 is kind of the opposite of the Z280. They did a great job of extending the address space this time but didn't bother trying to extend the instruction set in other ways. Too bad there is no PLCC or DIP version.

Anyway I just had a terrible idea... Changing memory banks with the Z280 MMU takes more instructions than I would like, but I could always add my own bank switching logic outside the chip which would just take a single OUT instruction. *menacing laughter*

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad

Reply 21621 of 27350, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wanted a PDF of original MS DOS 5 manual and have an original from my Leading Tech old computer but did not want to scan it all.
The other one at Archive org is missing more than half the book, should be pages numbered to 668 but only goes to page 126 and is a bad scan...
so used some fancy finger work and got the whole book as PDF. https://archive.org/details/msdos_5_User_Guide_complete
added: is still being finalized, hope it does not get removed.....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 21622 of 27350, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought a sheet-fed scanner for this exact reason. Scanning thousands of pages of books and manuals? No thank you.

It's a lot of work to cut up books, and there is some expertise that goes along with it, but I have too much bulk. I'm fine with scanning most of this stuff and just letting the paper go.

Reply 21623 of 27350, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Recieved the case badge for my 1200.
And now it is finished the way I want it. Fully recapped, brand new case, accelerator and more. I am really happy with the result and with the IndivisionAGA-MK3 it has a really sharp and crisp picture. I can simply not complain at this point. Never had I dreamt that I would be getting another 1200, after I sold my previous Amiga 1200 in the spring of 2006. But here I am in 2022 and yet again do I own a 1200. So happy....

1200-Finished-01.jpg
Filename
1200-Finished-01.jpg
File size
1.45 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
1200-Finished-02.jpg
Filename
1200-Finished-02.jpg
File size
1.42 MiB
Views
File license
1200-Finished-03.jpg
Filename
1200-Finished-03.jpg
File size
1.47 MiB
Views
File license

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 21624 of 27350, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

gave this classic a clean the caps are like new probably the old study pc 🤣.
i have a pc with the trade name turtle beach on it so it'll be its new home on a non physical sblink motherboard. (no support on this card so post p2 era.)
Need the SPDIF attachment and am seeking a yamaha wavetable daughterboard that doesn't cost the planet.
I have needed a wavetable compatible soundcard for donkeys years.
I would prefer a yamaha based wavetable card but they're not around.
Its the low latency MIDI that doesn't use system ram like software canvas needs.
Anyhow couple of shots for all those turtles out there.
From a Dell machine originally.
Not the best turtle but it does sound good regardless.
Has someone got links to its best drivers?

Attachments

• 20220428_233741[1].jpg
    Filename
    20220428_233741[1].jpg
    File size
    1.32 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20220428_233728.jpg
    Filename
    20220428_233728.jpg
    File size
    1.45 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 21625 of 27350, by ptr1ck

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I learned I can slipstream more than just SATA drivers for Windows XP...all Nforce2 drivers, Santa Cruz and Voodoo 2s.

Koolsmoky's XP Voodoo 2 driver that normally needs one card installed at a time for SLI also works with both installed already. I'm blown away.

"ITXBOX" SFF-Win11
KT133A-NV28-V2 SLI-DOS/WinME

Reply 21626 of 27350, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
zapbuzz wrote on 2022-05-04, 17:45:

See here for the latest drivers.
https://www.philscomputerlab.com/aureal-vortex-2.html

Note that the latest 2048 drivers have some bugs. Use the older version 2041. You will also lose a lot of features if you use the WDM/Windows 2000 drivers. The VXD drivers have all of the features but only work with Windows 9x.

The cheapest way to get a Yamaha XG wavetable is to add a second PCI sound card and use it exclusively for MIDI.

Reply 21629 of 27350, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-05-05, 01:31:
See here for the latest drivers. https://www.philscomputerlab.com/aureal-vortex-2.html […]
Show full quote
zapbuzz wrote on 2022-05-04, 17:45:

See here for the latest drivers.
https://www.philscomputerlab.com/aureal-vortex-2.html

Note that the latest 2048 drivers have some bugs. Use the older version 2041. You will also lose a lot of features if you use the WDM/Windows 2000 drivers. The VXD drivers have all of the features but only work with Windows 9x.

The cheapest way to get a Yamaha XG wavetable is to add a second PCI sound card and use it exclusively for MIDI.

Thanks heaps I'm putting the machine together by pulling 2 apart its fun shuffling it until they're right.

Reply 21630 of 27350, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally was able to start putting together a P4 Cedar Mill rig after the guy I bought DDR2 turned out to be an idiot, took forever to send it and when it finally arrived turned out they sent the wrong stick. Return for that is in progress and the new stick I bought from another seller arrived so I can put the thing together. But there was a surprise waiting under the MB battery:

Battery with skid marks.JPG
Filename
File size
1.81 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

So that can actually happen it seems.

Corrosion.JPG
Filename
Corrosion.JPG
File size
1.92 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

A bit of corrosion there too that won't scrub off, any idea how long it could take before that can become a problem? I don't own a soldering iron so unless that's going to eat the motherbord, the house and me before the year ends I'd rather not rush off to get one.

Reply 21631 of 27350, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sombrero wrote on 2022-05-05, 10:42:
Finally was able to start putting together a P4 Cedar Mill rig after the guy I bought DDR2 turned out to be an idiot, took forev […]
Show full quote

Finally was able to start putting together a P4 Cedar Mill rig after the guy I bought DDR2 turned out to be an idiot, took forever to send it and when it finally arrived turned out they sent the wrong stick. Return for that is in progress and the new stick I bought from another seller arrived so I can put the thing together. But there was a surprise waiting under the MB battery:

So that can actually happen it seems.

Corrosion.JPG

A bit of corrosion there too that won't scrub off, any idea how long it could take before that can become a problem? I don't own a soldering iron so unless that's going to eat the motherbord, the house and me before the year ends I'd rather not rush off to get one.

Don't worry about that.
Coin cell battery's are usually safe, in fact i cant recall ever seeing one leaking.
And to my eyes it doesn't even look like corrosion, more like there was a short somewhere
Which perhaps is even more alarming.

Reply 21632 of 27350, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bofh.fromhell wrote on 2022-05-05, 11:22:
Don't worry about that. Coin cell battery's are usually safe, in fact i cant recall ever seeing one leaking. And to my eyes it d […]
Show full quote

Don't worry about that.
Coin cell battery's are usually safe, in fact i cant recall ever seeing one leaking.
And to my eyes it doesn't even look like corrosion, more like there was a short somewhere
Which perhaps is even more alarming.

Encouraging 😀

The seller sold it as tested and working and gave year long warranty, so there's that if it goes poof.

Reply 21633 of 27350, by Solo761

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finally got LT1085CT LDO voltage regulators to try on my ECS UM4980 v1.1 board and it works. Finally I can get other voltages to CPU beside 5V direct from PSU.

And now I have another issue. I put AMD 486DX2-66 on it, set jumpers correctly (checked multiple times, both against jumper pdf from ultimate retro, motherboard silkscreen and scan of the manual), but for some reason I get 486DX2 100 MHz on post if it's set to 33 MHz FSB. Regardless of if I set jumper to X2 or X3 multiplier... I get 75 MHz if I set FSB jumper to 25 MHz FSB.

So I'm currently WFTing...

Reply 21634 of 27350, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can't see the corrosion on the motherboard from your photo.

The battery doesn't look too be like it's leaking. I would guess that some of the stainless plating was scraped off and the exposed metal oxidized and rusted a bit. Corrosion from a leaking battery is usually either white, green, and sometimes blue, but never brown; it's probably just rust.

Reply 21635 of 27350, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-05-05, 15:17:

I can't see the corrosion on the motherboard from your photo.

The battery doesn't look too be like it's leaking. I would guess that some of the stainless plating was scraped off and the exposed metal oxidized and rusted a bit. Corrosion from a leaking battery is usually either white, green, and sometimes blue, but never brown; it's probably just rust.

Corrosion.jpg
Filename
Corrosion.jpg
File size
101.73 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

It's greener than what it looks on the photo, though it did get fainter after some scrubbing. But no need to swap the battery holder any time soon I take it?

Reply 21636 of 27350, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Use vinegar to neutralize the acid and clean corrosion. Then go over it with isopropyl alcohol.

It's probably fine. It looks to be isolated to the leg there and won't have reached the motherboard, I suspect. As long as it's mechanically sound, it will be fine. I have a soldering iron and would still leave it alone if it were mine.

Reply 21637 of 27350, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-05-05, 15:40:

Use vinegar to neutralize the acid and clean corrosion. Then go over it with isopropyl alcohol.

It's probably fine. It looks to be isolated to the leg there and won't have reached the motherboard, I suspect. As long as it's mechanically sound, it will be fine. I have a soldering iron and would still leave it alone if it were mine.

Will do, thanks!

I've got no experience with corrosion or even rust, no idea how quickly that crap can spread.

Reply 21638 of 27350, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As long as you give the batter holder a cleaning your good to go. That tiny amount of corrosion would never spread far since you removed the source of the corrosion.

Reply 21639 of 27350, by Solo761

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Solo761 wrote on 2022-05-05, 11:42:

Finally got LT1085CT LDO voltage regulators to try on my ECS UM4980 v1.1 board and it works. Finally I can get other voltages to CPU beside 5V direct from PSU.

And now I have another issue. I put AMD 486DX2-66 on it, set jumpers correctly (checked multiple times, both against jumper pdf from ultimate retro, motherboard silkscreen and scan of the manual), but for some reason I get 486DX2 100 MHz on post if it's set to 33 MHz FSB. Regardless of if I set jumper to X2 or X3 multiplier... I get 75 MHz if I set FSB jumper to 25 MHz FSB.

So I'm currently WFTing...

Welp, I WTFed it 😅. Tried 5V Intel 486DX2-66 and it worked as advertised, 66 MHz...

This CPU (A80486DX2-66 V8T) has CLKMUL on pin B13, while others have internal cache write through / write back select on this pin. DX4 CPUs have CLKMUL on R17 and X2 vs X3 jumper on motherboard is connected to R17 which doesn't to squat on this CPU .

So in the end I stuck a wire into B13 and checked all unused pins and luckily found it's pin. It's used for writeback 486 configs which motherboard supports, it's just that this CPU model seems to be orphaned... Used jumper wire and connected this pin to GND and voila, CPU booted as 66 MHz instead of 100 😁.

Also found site with pin difference by socket 3 CPU which might be interesting to some 😁

http://ps-2.kev009.com/eprmhtml/eprmx/h12203.htm