VOGONS

Reply 23140 of 27357, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-11-13, 23:54:

Build myself a few monitor stands for my retro setup this past week. Nothing fancy; cut and finished some plywood, then added Ikea Eket metal legs.

Your stands look great. I want to do something similar to get my tower a bit off the floor

Reply 23141 of 27357, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
smtkr wrote on 2022-11-14, 02:38:

handsome.

Thank you! 😁

Kahenraz wrote on 2022-11-14, 02:40:

I really like the look of the synthesizers beneath the monitor.

Me too! 😁

chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-11-14, 02:47:

Your stands look great. I want to do something similar to get my tower a bit off the floor

Thanks!

Coincidentally, I'm thinking my next project might be building a full tower stand / enclosure. I'd like to have something not only to hold up the PC tower, but with extra storage for odds 'n ends.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 23142 of 27357, by fool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
... Let there be drums, there was drums Let there be guitar, there was guitar Oh, let there be rock! (AC/DC) […]
Show full quote

... Let there be drums, there was drums
Let there be guitar, there was guitar
Oh, let there be rock!
(AC/DC)

Finally first piece soldered ready. It was plug-and-pray, amazing...

Attachments

• wvetable_CS9233.JPG
    Filename
    wvetable_CS9233.JPG
    File size
    232.39 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Toshiba T8500 desktop
SAM/CS9233 Wavetable Synthesizer daughterboard
Coming: 40-pin 8MB SIMM kit, CS4232 ISA wavetable sound card

Reply 23143 of 27357, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

More or less finished my Pentium 133 mid-90s gaming setup.

Added an A/V switcher which switches between my four MIDI audio sources. Currently using an MT-32, CM-32L, Yamaha MU2000 and internal daughtercard (Yucatan FX) on the MPU-401AT. All MIDI is routed via a MIDI Solutions Quadra Thru (4 port MIDI splitter).

I think the last thing to complete things will be a dedicated game port card. Other than that, I'm quite pleased with this current setup.

Attachments

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 23144 of 27357, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wah, that looks nice. Definitely prefer midi in the stack under the monitor 😀
The wooden keyboard ergo riser looks nice but how is it in use? Looks kinda hard if the angle's off. Personally I've never been big on the ergo keyboard stuff, my dad always used the MS Natural (original) keyboard until PS/2 went away on the home PC, but I've always preferred just regular keyboards.

---------------
We can rebuild it, we have the technology!

IMG_0631 (Custom).JPG
Filename
IMG_0631 (Custom).JPG
File size
221.94 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

My Toshiba T2130CS which now has a 3d printed hard drive door and memory slot cover. The T2150CDT needs those parts more and this DSTN laptop is a great donor 😈
The hard drive door I'm pretty proud of, it's a 3d scan that was so high res I could just print it out with no modification and it fits and works as good as the original. The memory door is simple enough that I could design it in cad while a bit drunk.
This poor T2130CS has been the donor for the palm rest, HDD cover and memory cover at this point.

Past that, today I went on a really long trip from London down to Southampton to get an NEC Versa 6060 and lots of other parts. Quite a journey but the laptop works, both floppy drives are belted and broken (urghh) but the real gem in there was the HDD caddy that fits my Toshiba 500CDT, finally I have that completely unobtainable caddy and it gives structure to my Toshiba Tecra 500CDT that breaks if you look at funny - a few weeks back I was trying to turn it on and the power button broke into 2 pieces and fell inside. It took aaages to pull it apart and repair that. The HDD caddy should help the structural integrity quite a bit.

Reply 23145 of 27357, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
fool wrote on 2022-11-14, 15:20:
... Let there be drums, there was drums Let there be guitar, there was guitar Oh, let there be rock! (AC/DC) […]
Show full quote

Oh, let there be rock!
(AC/DC)

Oh wow, cool! Is there a project page for this?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 23146 of 27357, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fool wrote on 2022-11-14, 15:20:
Show full quote

Oh, let there be rock!
(AC/DC)

What WT Board is that?

Reply 23147 of 27357, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Upgraded my Dell Precision M4400 Laptop from a Core2Duo P8600 to a P8700, I happened to have laying around 🤣 Repasted both CPU and GPU in the process.

Still struggling with Win10 due to 2x2GiB RAM and 4 GiB modules are crazily expensive :'(

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 23148 of 27357, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-11-15, 00:59:

Added an A/V switcher which switches between my four MIDI audio sources. Currently using an MT-32, CM-32L, Yamaha MU2000 and internal daughtercard (Yucatan FX) on the MPU-401AT. All MIDI is routed via a MIDI Solutions Quadra Thru (4 port MIDI splitter).

I think the last thing to complete things will be a dedicated game port card. Other than that, I'm quite pleased with this current setup.

The real star here though, must be the boxed Arena DELUXE edition on the top shelf there ! 😍🤩😎
(how, when, how much ?😲 )

Reply 23150 of 27357, by fool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2022-11-15, 06:12:

Oh wow, cool! Is there a project page for this?

As well as for Bancho.

Sadly no, there is no project page. This is just a homebrew "spin-off" from Terratec SOWT-11 repair. I designed (rev. engineered) a clone from it with minor differences. I'm working on a new design with 32Mbit sample ROM and effects processor.

Toshiba T8500 desktop
SAM/CS9233 Wavetable Synthesizer daughterboard
Coming: 40-pin 8MB SIMM kit, CS4232 ISA wavetable sound card

Reply 23151 of 27357, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Thermalwrong wrote on 2022-11-15, 02:37:

The wooden keyboard ergo riser looks nice but how is it in use? Looks kinda hard if the angle's off.

It's quite comfortable. I find vintage keyboards otherwise too uncomfortable use to for extended periods without some sort of palm rest.

I had tried foam palm/wrist rests, but those didn't have good physical support and would get too warm over time. Then I found these wooden palm rests on Amazon and decided to try 'em. Turns out they work quite well! 😁

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 23152 of 27357, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bestemor wrote on 2022-11-15, 09:57:

The real star here though, must be the boxed Arena DELUXE edition on the top shelf there ! 😍🤩😎
(how, when, how much ?😲 )

Heh, well spotted. 😉

That's my own original copy I bought decades ago. I don't remember what I paid but it would have been whatever the brand new price was back in the day.

It happens to be one of the few original boxed games I saved over the years (most of the other games shown are re-buys). In hindsight I really wish I'd kept more of my game boxes, but at least I kept my Bethesda games. Especially with the insane prices I've seen the Arena Deluxe Edition going for . 😳

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 23153 of 27357, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-11-15, 00:59:

That's a sweet setup! I'm tempted everyday to build a 133mhz pentium system that I started out with back in the day.

What video card do you have installed?

I see you have a super nintendo lurking there, is it hooked up to that monitor somehow?

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 23154 of 27357, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
buckeye wrote on 2022-11-15, 14:35:

That's a sweet setup! I'm tempted everyday to build a 133mhz pentium system that I started out with back in the day.

What video card do you have installed?

I see you have a super nintendo lurking there, is it hooked up to that monitor somehow?

Thanks!

Video card is a Diamond Stealth64 2001 with an S3 Trio64V+ chip.

The SNES is hooked up to a Commodore 1702 monitor, along with an NES via a 2-port AV switch. It's part of my retro gaming/computing setup I've been working on over the past few months.

Attachments

• Retro Gaming Table.jpg
    Filename
    Retro Gaming Table.jpg
    File size
    490.67 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 23155 of 27357, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was one of the lucky 500 people that got an invite code for Insignia (the Xbox Live revival project for the original Xbox) and played a bit of Midtown Madness 3 against random people from the internet.

This was so much fun. I hope they'll make the service public for everyone soon.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 23156 of 27357, by Veeb0rg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
schmatzler wrote on 2022-11-16, 01:25:

I was one of the lucky 500 people that got an invite code for Insignia (the Xbox Live revival project for the original Xbox) and played a bit of Midtown Madness 3 against random people from the internet.

This was so much fun. I hope they'll make the service public for everyone soon.

seeing setups like these makes me want to open my sealed NOS Amiga 1080 monitor and break out the NES for some good old CRT gaming.

Reply 23157 of 27357, by DeathRabbit679

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was fooling around with my new MT32. Then I went to insert a CD and discovered my CD-ROM on my Pentium 1 box is waving the white flag and won't eject any more, so my retro activity became attempting to yank it out, only to discover I'll have to remove the FDD and HDD to be able to remove a screw someone put in an unreachable location. Ran out of time to mess with it. So, ultimately, my retro activity was banging my head on my desk repeatedly.

Reply 23158 of 27357, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Replaced Sound Blaster Audigy 2 with a Sound Blaster Live! on my Win98SE rig during the weekend. I had some frustrating issues with the Audigy 2 from the start, most annoying being its tendency to reset all of its settings randomly. Got pretty tiring having to wonder am I going to have to set volume levels again at every boot/reboot, even though it only happened at every 10 boots or so. In addition it made turning off the PC extremely unstable, blue screens were not uncommon and therefore neither were disk checks during boot.

With Sound Blaster Live! SB0060 everything just works, no issues whatsoever (knocking on wood) Using the system got about ten times more pleasing by "downgrading" it. Though it seems it has the same issue as Audigy 2 did, which is very noisy analog CD audio but that you can eliminate by muting it and using SPDIF digital audio. As for line out noise level I was expecting it to have some noise but to my surprise after muting CD audio I cannot hear any hiss. I am using open headphones so I cannot say with 100% certainty there isn't any hiss but I sure can't hear any over the quite low noise PC and I have a good hearing.

Also got these odd faint beeps when playing specific DOS games that fade out after a minute or two I thought were caused by the motherboard which I bought as recapped or by Orpheus sound card, but that issue also disappeared after tossing the Audigy 2. I had both sound cards connected at the same time with a Y splitter cable, but it never occurred to me that Audigy 2 could cause something like that in DOS. I wonder was there some compatibility issue with the Audigy 2 and my motherboard or is there something wrong with the card, I better test it on another system beforehand if I decide to sell it.

Reply 23159 of 27357, by Hippo486

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hardware testing done, Dallas RTC modded, so I started to build my Pentium Overdrive system in an absolutely huge tower case.

Been a while since I built anything of this era, I was quickly reminded how sharp the steel can be in these cases 😁

One plaster later and the motherboard and cards are installed. Knocked out the blanks for the serial ports and screwed them to the case.

Attachments