VOGONS

Reply 23460 of 27411, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tested the new parts i got.. Did not test the LanParty eXpert tho, but the seller had pictures with the mobo installed in a case with parts and all working.. But will test it these days anyway... Tested the Banshee ofc to see if will post (in my experience, 90% of all parts i buy second hand just work, specially the old and vintage ones).

20221230_153000.jpg
Filename
20221230_153000.jpg
File size
1.5 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Then i moved to the Axle FX5900XT, in order to clean it, and see how to make it look stock again.. Then i did remove the cooler, and saw this fucking Abomination JESUS FUCKING CRIST wtF....... some poor soul did have to use that nasty crap Titan silver paste.. This thing is just the WORSE, it just permanently paints everything it touches, and even 95% isopropyl alcohol wont wipe that goo damn... And as a bonus, the idiot did not only use the Abomination of a paste, but did also place these dumb metal parts on every x2 close chips wtF............ I am still in shock of this madness....

And all i have to say about this paste is Fuck that goo paint paste and Fuck Titan Jesus.....

Attachments

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 23461 of 27411, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is classic useless chinese paste easily obtained on ebay and other junky online sellers. This one is sparkly.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 23462 of 27411, by Antieon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So... second post... Today's haul for roughly $400... all tested and working (amazingly) and I think I got a real steal considering what the V5 normally goes for... the list:

1 x Voodoo 5 5500 AGP
1 x Diamond Monster Fusion Banshee PCI
2 x Gigabyte GA-5SMM Motherboards
1 x Pentium 233 MMX
1 x AMD K6-2 475
1 x AMD K6-2 500
1 x Unknown PCI NIC
1 x Seagate ISA SCSI card

Reply 23463 of 27411, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Radical Vision wrote on 2022-12-30, 21:14:
Tested the new parts i got.. Did not test the LanParty eXpert tho, but the seller had pictures with the mobo installed in a case […]
Show full quote

Tested the new parts i got.. Did not test the LanParty eXpert tho, but the seller had pictures with the mobo installed in a case with parts and all working.. But will test it these days anyway... Tested the Banshee ofc to see if will post (in my experience, 90% of all parts i buy second hand just work, specially the old and vintage ones).

20221230_153000.jpg

Then i moved to the Axle FX5900XT, in order to clean it, and see how to make it look stock again.. Then i did remove the cooler, and saw this fucking Abomination JESUS FUCKING CRIST wtF....... some poor soul did have to use that nasty crap Titan silver paste.. This thing is just the WORSE, it just permanently paints everything it touches, and even 95% isopropyl alcohol wont wipe that goo damn... And as a bonus, the idiot did not only use the Abomination of a paste, but did also place these dumb metal parts on every x2 close chips wtF............ I am still in shock of this madness....

And all i have to say about this paste is Fuck that goo paint paste and Fuck Titan Jesus.....

Your swearing has a good humorous and comedic effect on me making laugh a lot.

This mess is truly on another level, fortunately it wasn't on me this time 😀

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 23464 of 27411, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote on 2022-12-31, 00:35:

This is classic useless chinese paste easily obtained on ebay and other junky online sellers. This one is sparkly.

Cheers,

Yes this paste is just an nasty Abomination, and UNholy thing to ever get in touch with any computer part or anything even, since it will just paint it, and then you cant even remove it, i did try with multiple things no can do... I hope these morons that made that garbage paste to shove the money they made in their mouths...

Antieon wrote on 2022-12-31, 00:46:
So... second post... Today's haul for roughly $400... all tested and working (amazingly) and I think I got a real steal consider […]
Show full quote

So... second post... Today's haul for roughly $400... all tested and working (amazingly) and I think I got a real steal considering what the V5 normally goes for... the list:

1 x Voodoo 5 5500 AGP
1 x Pentium 233 MMX
1 x AMD K6-2 475
1 x AMD K6-2 500
1 x Unknown PCI NIC

Hey wtf where are the pictures ?!?!? This is not 1999 🤣...
Nice findings, but the price is not ok, at least for me, since i got similar parts for very dirt cheap, then for free, when i sold other old parts ect..
But u can benefit from that as well, u have spare stuff, if the GIGAbyte S7 boards are x3, sell 2 of them for good amount = 100/ 150$ less on that lot u did pay... Sell the CPUs too if u already have them..

Nexxen wrote on 2022-12-31, 00:51:

Well when i see something wrong, or some BS i get pissed... Like hell it is so hard for some ppl to use/ operate properly with computer parts or what ?!?!? Are they caveman or primates, so they do stuff like that.. Not to mention the dumb fan the previous owner did put on the card, and he did trow away the original front cover, so the card now looks like shit. I will prob sell this card, since is not in factory state, and i really hate when i see BS... Also why ppl feel the need to screw fans onto heatsinks, when the screws damage the heatsink, and then it looks shitty... They can use tape, or plastic cable tie or something or even glue ffs... But naaa they will just screw that damn fan on the heatsink and GJ 🤣.... There is even glue, but guess most ppl are baboons..

That paste is no comment really i hate it so much.. Saw nasty CPU covered with it, cant clean them, chipsets on boards, or videocards it all gets messy, and cant fix it, at least i dont know a cleaning soap or gel or something that will just clean this thing..

Well at least someone to find my flaming fine, 95% of ppl dont like it.. Specially in games like WoW, CS or others, where when the team suck, and i get to die for that reason at some point i explode and flame the chat, so they can feel bad too, since they suck at the game 🤣..

But when i think about it, i am using from over 10+ years Arctic MX-2, that paste 30g is the very best in price-performance-grams... But that paste tends to age, needs replacement every year, or at least on 2 years for sure.. Meanwhile the white silicone paste, is not as good, but it is eternal, it wont age, even after 30-40 years, but it has less thermal properties.. But for dual core systems and below i think the white silicone paste is the clear winner.. But will need to buy some, and test on my Pentium III, Pentium II (wait what, but the P2 CPU has silicone paste on it..), on the 462 maybe too, problem is, the cooler is annoying to be removed (it is TT Sonic Tower, i have also Scythe Katana CU, pure copper cooler everything is copper, maybe i will try it out some day on the 462 to see how it will perform, but prob worse then the TT Sonic Tower), so for the test purposes on paste it wont be good idea really...

Ofc there is also ppl that use mustard, mayonnaise, tooth paste ect, but that wont work well... Also the ppl that use liquid metal on such old parts, are insane to me, since the chance of accidentally dropping or putting metal paste where it should not be is not small.. I see some moron ppl that i buy parts from them, they literally make everything on paste, the mobo, ram, videocard, damn even the retail packaging sometime has paste on it ...

BTW in a online game, i did play with an italian, and he was also amused by how mad i was at times..

K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 23465 of 27411, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Radical Vision wrote on 2022-12-31, 01:13:
Yes this paste is just an nasty Abomination, and UNholy thing to ever get in touch with any computer part or anything even, sinc […]
Show full quote

Cheers,

Yes this paste is just an nasty Abomination, and UNholy thing to ever get in touch with any computer part or anything even, since it will just paint it, and then you cant even remove it, i did try with multiple things no can do... I hope these morons that made that garbage paste to shove the money they made in their mouths...

So... second post... Today's haul for roughly $400... all tested and working (amazingly) and I think I got a real steal consider […]
Show full quote

1 x Voodoo 5 5500 AGP
1 x Pentium 233 MMX
1 x AMD K6-2 475
1 x AMD K6-2 500
1 x Unknown PCI NIC

Nice findings, but the price is not ok, at least for me, since i got similar parts for very dirt cheap, then for free, when i sold other old parts ect..
But u can benefit from that as well, u have spare stuff, if the GIGAbyte S7 boards are x3, sell 2 of them for good amount = 100/ 150$ less on that lot u did pay... Sell the CPUs too if u already have them..

Well when i see something wrong, or some BS i get pissed... Like hell it is so hard for some ppl to use/ operate properly with computer parts or what ?!?!? Are they caveman or primates, so they do stuff like that.. Not to mention the dumb fan the previous owner did put on the card, and he did trow away the original front cover, so the card now looks like shit. I will prob sell this card, since is not in factory state, and i really hate when i see BS... Also why ppl feel the need to screw fans onto heatsinks, when the screws damage the heatsink, and then it looks shitty... They can use tape, or plastic cable tie or something or even glue ffs... But naaa they will just screw that damn fan on the heatsink and GJ 🤣.... There is even glue, but guess most ppl are baboons..

That paste is no comment really i hate it so much.. Saw nasty CPU covered with it, cant clean them, chipsets on boards, or videocards it all gets messy, and cant fix it, at least i dont know a cleaning soap or gel or something that will just clean this thing..

Well at least someone to find my flaming fine, 95% of ppl dont like it.. Specially in games like WoW, CS or others, where when the team suck, and i get to die for that reason at some point i explode and flame the chat, so they can feel bad too, since they suck at the game 🤣..

But when i think about it, i am using from over 10+ years Arctic MX-2, that paste 30g is the very best in price-performance-grams... But that paste tends to age, needs replacement every year, or at least on 2 years for sure.. Meanwhile the white silicone paste, is not as good, but it is eternal, it wont age, even after 30-40 years, but it has less thermal properties.. But for dual core systems and below i think the white silicone paste is the clear winner.. But will need to buy some, and test on my Pentium III, Pentium II (wait what, but the P2 CPU has silicone paste on it..), on the 462 maybe too, problem is, the cooler is annoying to be removed (it is TT Sonic Tower, i have also Scythe Katana CU, pure copper cooler everything is copper, maybe i will try it out some day on the 462 to see how it will perform, but prob worse then the TT Sonic Tower), so for the test purposes on paste it wont be good idea really...

Ofc there is also ppl that use mustard, mayonnaise, tooth paste ect, but that wont work well... Also the ppl that use liquid metal on such old parts, are insane to me, since the chance of accidentally dropping or putting metal paste where it should not be is not small.. I see some moron ppl that i buy parts from them, they literally make everything on paste, the mobo, ram, videocard, damn even the retail packaging sometime has paste on it ...

BTW in a online game, i did play with an italian, and he was also amused by how mad i was at times..

Dude, you don't realize how funny you can get 😀 I mean it in the right way.
I used to play TF2 and it was a swear fest when microphones became mainstream. Not mentioning italians and spanish. English is mostly f**k this and that, but once I heard a polish chap fully mad it made my day!!!

I so much hate people doing stupid shyte on valuable hardware, it's damaged and gone.

I hug to all the collectors that go the extra mile to preserve this stuff.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 23466 of 27411, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Radical Vision wrote on 2022-12-31, 01:13:
Yes this paste is just an nasty Abomination, and UNholy thing to ever get in touch with any computer part or anything even, sinc […]
Show full quote

Cheers,

Show full quote

1 x Voodoo 5 5500 AGP
1 x Pentium 233 MMX
1 x AMD K6-2 475
1 x AMD K6-2 500
1 x Unknown PCI NIC

Yuk, have you tried two things: Varsol or dish soap and warm water?

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 23467 of 27411, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Think I finally have my Epson Equity III+ config sorted with all ISA cards installed.

Had to jerry-rig the CompactFlash card adapter, but managed to find a spot that I think should work without risk of shorting out.

Attachments

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 23468 of 27411, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-12-31, 02:32:

Think I finally have my Epson Equity III+ config sorted with all ISA cards installed.

Had to jerry-rig the CompactFlash card adapter, but managed to find a spot that I think should work without risk of shorting out.

The fact this thing boots at all with this many sound cards installed is an impressive feat.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 23469 of 27411, by timsdf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Vanessaira wrote on 2022-12-30, 14:08:
I have a Yamaha PCI XG card still new in box sealed. Should mess around with it at some point. […]
Show full quote

I have a Yamaha PCI XG card still new in box sealed. Should mess around with it at some point.

Today I got to cleaning and testing the aquarium.

V

20221230_034037.jpg

Damn that's a cool sidepanel. Wish I had one for this case 😁

pc60_1.jpg
Filename
pc60_1.jpg
File size
956.34 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
pc60_2.jpg
Filename
pc60_2.jpg
File size
383.6 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I spent a morning switching cases for xp/win98 dual purpose pc from Antec p182 to a Lian Li PC-60. It's still a project ongoing for cable management. Modular PSU sure would be nice for this case and I still need to find nice looking ide-cables for dvd drive and win98 hdd.

Components:
Asrock 775dual-vsta
pentium e5800
2gb ddr2
8800GTS
Audigy 2 ZS

I'll switch the graphics card to ti 4400 when I have time to play with win98 games.

Reply 23470 of 27411, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote on 2022-12-31, 09:44:

The fact this thing boots at all with this many sound cards installed is an impressive feat.

What impresses me is that there are no installed drivers required and no CONFIG.SYS or AUTOEXEC.BAT settings to worry about.

Just choose the sound card from the game's audio options and it just works.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 23471 of 27411, by Turbo ->

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Recapped this socket 462 motherboard. She boots fine now. I replaced all the bigger ones, which were all bad, except for one, but I replaced that one as well.

Attachments

Reply 23472 of 27411, by Virtua

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

bought a new case for my windows 98 machine but the person i bought it off was clearly a heavy smoker, so that was a good push to strip it all down and drench everything in alcohol. also stripped my 9600 xt and greased the fan because it was making a disgusting grinding sound on cold boots. almost made the mistake of using wd-40 until i decided to do a quick search just in case. with all the upgrades i've made lately i've almost got a second retro computer but not sure what to do with it. any second computer i build would surely be strictly dos

win 10 : x570-a pro • ryzen 5900x • geforce rtx 3070 • sound blaster x ae-5 plus
win 98 : k8-vm800 • athlon 3000+ • radeon 9600 • sound blaster live! 5.1

Reply 23473 of 27411, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nexxen wrote on 2022-12-31, 01:34:
Dude, you don't realize how funny you can get :) I mean it in the right way. I used to play TF2 and it was a swear fest when mic […]
Show full quote

I used to play TF2 and it was a swear fest when microphones became mainstream. Not mentioning italians and spanish. English is mostly f**k this and that, but once I heard a polish chap fully mad it made my day!!!

I so much hate people doing stupid shyte on valuable hardware, it's damaged and gone.

Ahahah yes in online games is insanity, is racism, sexuality jokes ect... Most ppl swear at the others, they return the favor .. Is fun, but sadly when u get much fun u will get perma bans too (unless is alt ACC with VPN on 🤣).. I did even saw in forums, that some scrub that saw others to insult each other in the general chat, did SS and report them all, NO matter that, no one did curse him, and he did not even particepate in the chat at all or interact with any of these insulting each other ppl, i find such behavior of anonymous scumbags really nasty... Leave the fucking ppl to curse as they want, since no one did curse him right 🤣... Or ppl having fun with BS in the general chat of the server, and then someone says "there are kids here" WTF we can talk retarded BS cuz there are kids in game that have deaths kills and shit, and literally have WAR in the name WTF is wrong with these people... Cant stand spanish ppl in games, since 95% of all of them are so BAD it is literally painful... I am not a racist i dont care for the spanish ppl really, infact Ibiza is one of the greatest places on the world, but DAMN when it comes to games these spanish ppl suck A$$ really, they die and fail in everything no matter if is PvP, PvE or whatever 🤣 jesus.....

Yes prob. everyone here or elsewhere on the planet, that is enthusiast of some sort feels the same way, about idiot people that destroy stuff, even partly, cuz they have x3 left arms...

I for sure have ALOT of kilometers/ miles on me, for going to buy/ trade/ sell old/ vintage HW.. Once upon a time (was back in like 2014) i did go to buy a kit of x2 1GB Mushkin BlackLine DDR500, but for dirt cheap 10 euros, since it is extreme memory. But the guy was on the other side of the city, but i had some time and my trusted bike, so i did go.. And the seller was so impressed from that, that a week later he did deliver me, a trunk of parts, monitors and computers for free...

Turbo -> wrote on 2022-12-31, 17:19:

Recapped this socket 462 motherboard. It boots fine now. I replaced all the bigger ones, which were all bad, except for one, but I replaced that one as well.

U did well by recapping these garbage G luxons caps.. But what i wonder is why, did u even bother to put much effort, time and even money for caps, for this garbage mobo.. When i get such budget brands and models i straight trow them for sale, as the life and storage space are very limited for such crap... I can ofc understand if this exact mobo was ur own from back in the day, then sure u did it for pure nostalgia... But aside from that i cant imagine why...

Tested the lot i got today, luckily for me it was all working, in near mint condition how great, when ppl care for their computers and stuff. Tested the LanParty NF4 eXpert (on what is that board expert i dont know, since NF4 Ultra-D can do the same..), to see it myself booting. Tested HDDs, tested the S7 mobo and the Trident ISA card..

20221231_153421.jpg
Filename
20221231_153421.jpg
File size
1.37 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Gotta love, when some retard do shits like this damn...

20221231_125843.jpg
Filename
20221231_125843.jpg
File size
1.3 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Also there was no paste AT all on this Pentium, and the result of that is clear, the CPY now have scratches ffs, no matter is pulled from working machine in the socket, and not some scrap garbage, still ....

20221231_142307.jpg
Filename
20221231_142307.jpg
File size
1.81 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

My new Conner 240MB is working (YESSS u know the little kid gif i am talking about)... But then it did came the sectors scanner.. And well it have some bad sectors, WHY Conner why are you doing this to me... At least is not as bad as that 40MB Conner, that is working, but has 110% bad sectors 🤣 ... The 240MB Conner did even relocate some of the sectors, and now only the one on the start is still red... I wonder can i fix it somehow.. HDD Regenerator wont detect this Conner 240MB for some reason 🤣... Maybe if i put the Conner in Refrigerator will fix it. I know bad sectors on HDD cant be fixed and is best to replace the drive, but we all know what is the deal with vintage HDDs...

Conner 240MB - Copy.JPG
Filename
Conner 240MB - Copy.JPG
File size
390.43 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Well i gotta say this AMI UEFI like BIOS is great... Never expected to see such thing on NON OEM mobo like this BIOstar, is insane that they did put in like what 1994/ 1995 such BIOS, and later on till 2014 all BIOSes was same as the boards on 1999, not sure wtf...

20221231_134316.jpg
Filename
20221231_134316.jpg
File size
1.97 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 23474 of 27411, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Radical Vision wrote on 2022-12-31, 19:49:
Ahahah yes in online games is insanity, is racism, sexuality jokes ect... Most ppl swear at the others, they return the favor .. […]
Show full quote
Nexxen wrote on 2022-12-31, 01:34:
Dude, you don't realize how funny you can get :) I mean it in the right way. I used to play TF2 and it was a swear fest when mic […]
Show full quote

Ahahah yes in online games is insanity, is racism, sexuality jokes ect... Most ppl swear at the others, they return the favor .. Is fun, but sadly when u get much fun u will get perma bans too (unless is alt ACC with VPN on 🤣).. I did even saw in forums, that some scrub that saw others to insult each other in the general chat, did SS and report them all, NO matter that, no one did curse him, and he did not even particepate in the chat at all or interact with any of these insulting each other ppl, i find such behavior of anonymous scumbags really nasty... Leave the fucking ppl to curse as they want, since no one did curse him right 🤣... Or ppl having fun with BS in the general chat of the server, and then someone says "there are kids here" WTF we can talk retarded BS cuz there are kids in game that have deaths kills and shit, and literally have WAR in the name WTF is wrong with these people... Cant stand spanish ppl in games, since 95% of all of them are so BAD it is literally painful... I am not a racist i dont care for the spanish ppl really, infact Ibiza is one of the greatest places on the world, but DAMN when it comes to games these spanish ppl suck A$$ really, they die and fail in everything no matter if is PvP, PvE or whatever 🤣 jesus.....

Yes prob. everyone here or elsewhere on the planet, that is enthusiast of some sort feels the same way, about idiot people that destroy stuff, even partly, cuz they have x3 left arms...

I for sure have ALOT of kilometers/ miles on me, for going to buy/ trade/ sell old/ vintage HW.. Once upon a time (was back in like 2014) i did go to buy a kit of x2 1GB Mushkin BlackLine DDR500, but for dirt cheap 10 euros, since it is extreme memory. But the guy was on the other side of the city, but i had some time and my trusted bike, so i did go.. And the seller was so impressed from that, that a week later he did deliver me, a trunk of parts, monitors and computers for free...

Turbo -> wrote on 2022-12-31, 17:19:

Recapped this socket 462 motherboard. It boots fine now. I replaced all the bigger ones, which were all bad, except for one, but I replaced that one as well.

U did well by recapping these garbage G luxons caps.. But what i wonder is why, did u even bother to put much effort, time and even money for caps, for this garbage mobo.. When i get such budget brands and models i straight trow them for sale, as the life and storage space are very limited for such crap... I can ofc understand if this exact mobo was ur own from back in the day, then sure u did it for pure nostalgia... But aside from that i cant imagine why...

Tested the lot i got today, luckily for me it was all working, in near mint condition how great, when ppl care for their computers and stuff. Tested the LanParty NF4 eXpert (on what is that board expert i dont know, since NF4 Ultra-D can do the same..), to see it myself booting. Tested HDDs, tested the S7 mobo and the Trident ISA card..

20221231_153421.jpg

Gotta love, when some retard do shits like this damn...

20221231_125843.jpg

Also there was no paste AT all on this Pentium, and the result of that is clear, the CPY now have scratches ffs, no matter is pulled from working machine in the socket, and not some scrap garbage, still ....

20221231_142307.jpg

My new Conner 240MB is working (YESSS u know the little kid gif i am talking about)... But then it did came the sectors scanner.. And well it have some bad sectors, WHY Conner why are you doing this to me... At least is not as bad as that 40MB Conner, that is working, but has 110% bad sectors 🤣 ... The 240MB Conner did even relocate some of the sectors, and now only the one on the start is still red... I wonder can i fix it somehow.. HDD Regenerator wont detect this Conner 240MB for some reason 🤣... Maybe if i put the Conner in Refrigerator will fix it. I know bad sectors on HDD cant be fixed and is best to replace the drive, but we all know what is the deal with vintage HDDs...

Conner 240MB - Copy.JPG

Well i gotta say this AMI UEFI like BIOS is great... Never expected to see such thing on NON OEM mobo like this BIOstar, is insane that they did put in like what 1994/ 1995 such BIOS, and later on till 2014 all BIOSes was same as the boards on 1999, not sure wtf...

20221231_134316.jpg

I've always said gaming was better when it was understood that if the current environment was too "toxic" for your liking, YOU were expected to be the one to leave and it was mostly understood that nobody took this stuff too seriously, even if you knew somebody outside of the game you wouldn't ever talk to them like that in person or on a phone call. This modern era crap of banning people for any of 300 different arbitrarily defined offenses and shit is just asinine. Even private server admins are quick to hand out hard perms for shit that 20 years ago you would have just been asked to come back the next day when whoever you upset wasn't on.

At the same time, I feel like part of this is the separation between gaming socials and your real life person have been eroded. It use to be a lot less common, almost unheard of to know your gaming buddies phone number, or have them on social media or whatever. So I do recognize I guess its easier to "harm" someone IRL now, since they are more likely to take it the same way as someone saying something to their face.

Times a making changes I suppose. Get with it, or get out of the way. Either way, its moving forward.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 23475 of 27411, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes 20-25 years ago was simple, people was simple the curse words was simple, and no one did get too offended.. These fucking days eveyone cry to the admins, and there is SS ofc, and u get banned... I got ofc many perma bans in many places, since i swear much, no matter that is just my style.. But i dont think that swearing in a war fucking game, where u literally KILL the enemy, and they say u cant swear WHY.... WHY i cant swear when i get killed, and is not my fault, but on my random shit team.. Why i can get to be punished by getting killed multiple times, and as a bonus to lose the fucking battleground/ match, and WASTE my time even more, and i cant tell the trash team, that they are TRASH, UNgeared ppl, dumb ppl ect.. But they get free pass on being bad, sucking, and crying to the admin for some crap.. Did ppl curse me SURE all the time, and so what i never got much offended i did curse them back, and i did NEVER report NO one, since i dont give 2 fucks really... So it appears i may be very toxic, YET i am not as scumbag, as these crying idiots, as i wont report them, and NO one of them will get his garbage anyway ACC suspended, and suffer great loss of time and life, die to some games taking ALOT of time to build up and craft stuff.... Someone may say "u get mad on trash players, but just dont say it in the chat", HOW so i get to suffer defeats and deaths that piss me off, but they wont suffer anything since they dont even care as much to play properly morons.... There are even people that enjoy watching how others get perma bans.. As i saw multiple people to makes ton of reports about people in general chats, that did not even talk to them...

These days society is like that, everyone have thin skin and they get offended by basically everything... So best way is to stop playing online or stop talking.. Soemone will say "chill man it is just a game", FUCK the game man, i know, the thing is i really and i mean REALLY dont like to lose, when the fault is NOT mine, and get farmed by the enemy team, that i can kill prob 1v1 and stuff... But people like that wont ever understand, people like that also dont play as passionate as people like me, is why i get mad when i lose, since i was NOT the reason for the loss, but the other idiots...

One time i got perma ban on pirate (private) server, and i was not even hacking, or doing something to other players, i just used not scripted item to make my char size bigger, and some POS GM appeared from nowhere said 2 words and perma me WTF.....
One time after losing like 10-12 battlegrounds in a row from garbage teams, i got mad, but did not tell them how trash they are.. I did just gather some players, and did go to enemy territory and killed everyone there for at least 7 hours, then i was ok, chill and did not get mad... Died 20 times myself, killed 200 ppl...

Well ofc many of us may rage and flame in game chats and stuff, we wont go like that in real life, as there will be serious consequences prob, if both sides start to rage and get to fight and stuff.. In the best possible scenario of a fight no one will have broken bones and stuff, but in worst case someone may get stabbed, or killed with bare hands who knows... So ofc avoiding this kind of crap is needed, as things normally escalate too fast, and even if no one get broken skull/ bones, someone then will get his ass sued. So yeah going on a rampage in real life is not good, unless u are someone rich, that is Bruce Lee......

I think perma banning ppl for curse words and shit is not even proper punishment, is retarded one.. If someone swears alot of players mute him for 1-2 days, if he continues mute him for 30 days.. But perma ban that is fucking dumb.. Not to mention one of my perma bans was after losing hard multiple battlegrounds, then on the last one i got killed 5 times and i did lose it and flamed the chat, and these baboons.. I got perma ban, and the report player was some scrub, that did NOT even have a fucking keybindings, not a single one NON 🤣..... Guess some ppl know they suck, and when u say that in the chat they take it deep.

These days everyone is offended by something, no matter how small it is.. Black humor is also not tolerated, funny jokes are also not if u do it multiple times u will get warned by admin, . One of the methods i prefer is to punish idiots as killing them many times, but is not that easy, every time other players interact and other stuff, but is still better then flaming them, for sucking and ruing my mood and game, and getting perma banned...

Thing is when they brake my mood, and the game exp by sucking, is fine they wont get perma.. But when i get to make them feel bad too by cursing them for losing many games, is ok i get warnings and perma ban....

K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 23476 of 27411, by Turbo ->

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Radical Vision wrote on 2022-12-31, 19:49:

You are right. The board is nothing special. But If I didn't fix it, no one else would either. I just love giving new life to these things.

Reply 23477 of 27411, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Fixed my Orion TVCR0950B (mostly, the VHS needs a cleaning again since the load/eject mechanism isn’t going up evenly, however, after a good scrub down with an old toothbrush and some cleaning solution, it works for now) that had a picture issue by reflowing the microcontroller and jungle solder joints, a couple of capacitors, and SMD/SMT components, moving the anode wire since it was too close to the yoke deflector wires, and cleaning the board from gunk.

B1g5J6Sl.jpg

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 23478 of 27411, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tested that 7300GT AGP, since the damn thing refused to output signal on my test system with the ECS mobo and VIA chipset (Radeon HD3650 did the same..), so i had to get another mobo in order to get signal.. Not sure why some GPUs wont post on some boards, the (shitty) wonders of PC HW i guess..

20230101_140300.jpg
Filename
20230101_140300.jpg
File size
1.8 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Tested a game on the 240MB Conner, that have 1 bad sector, and cant make it so far to disappear/ relocate.. But the drive just works, but slowly, but it works...

20230101_020156.jpg
Filename
20230101_020156.jpg
File size
1.39 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Wonder does someone here using HDDs with bad sectors ? For example a drive have bad sectors, but when they are isolated the drive works. So does someone uses some drives with isolated bad sectors from years to tell how do they perform, and are there any problems, as i wonder.. I did never do that, but started isolating bad sectors and giving new life to some HDDs.. I think if the sectors are isolated, and the rest of a drive is fine, then there should be no problems.

This AT PSU is insane, the build quality is like from an IBM system, or Delta/ SeaSonic, did not expect that... The fan even is so well made, with one hand squeezing it, it WONT move/ flex at all DAMN, that is what i call build quality... Most fans are such garbage i can even snap/ brake them if i squeeze with half force, not full. But this fan naaaa is like is made fro metal or something 🤣... Also everything on this power unit feels more then well made, the case i think is steel, since is same thing, if i force the case it wont bend, at least if i dont try very hard.. And the caps appear to be Matsuhita/ Panasonic 🤣.... The wires are also very well made, they are still soft, not hard like plastic, that will fall apart, i see on other cheap crap PSUs... They should have gave the name of "Quality of the Quality" for this PSU unit...
The moment i saw all of that, my test AT PSU was removed and send for sale, and this unit will take its place... Now people here that see this post will be able to know, that this NOname Taiwanese brand is Delta/ SeaSonic level of quality....

20230101_162141.jpg
Filename
20230101_162141.jpg
File size
1.88 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
20230101_161614.jpg
Filename
20230101_161614.jpg
File size
1.97 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Untitled.png
Filename
Untitled.png
File size
411.71 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 23479 of 27411, by lti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Radical Vision wrote on 2023-01-01, 20:46:

Wonder does someone here using HDDs with bad sectors ? For example a drive have bad sectors, but when they are isolated the drive works. So does someone uses some drives with isolated bad sectors from years to tell how do they perform, and are there any problems, as i wonder.. I did never do that, but started isolating bad sectors and giving new life to some HDDs.. I think if the sectors are isolated, and the rest of a drive is fine, then there should be no problems.

I'm still using two hard drives with a few bad sectors. I have two more drives that also have bad sectors and still work, but they're a little too far gone for me to want to use regularly. One of the drives that I don't use (a 60GB Toshiba 2.5" drive) had several hundred bad sectors scattered randomly across it, and Windows kept breaking randomly until I finally replaced it with an SSD in one of those IDE to SATA converters. Unfortunately, that computer has a VIA chipset, and that adapter has a JMicron bridge chip. The old failing drive had higher sequential read and write speeds.