VOGONS

Reply 23760 of 27188, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bestemor wrote on 2023-02-16, 02:59:
Now you got me worried, are you sure about 2019 not existing at all ? Or is it just that 'some' may be fake ? Or... did you mean […]
Show full quote
appiah4 wrote on 2023-02-15, 16:58:
Turbo -> wrote on 2023-02-15, 14:24:

Is ARCTIC MX-4 2019 Edition any good? It is more price affordable for me, because I can get 45g for about 20 EUR. The specs on the internet say it has 8.5W/m-K. That has to be good.

There is no such thing as an MX-4 2019 edition, it was released in 2020. Those 2019 editions are bootlegs. They are not terrible, but also not great.

Now you got me worried, are you sure about 2019 not existing at all ? Or is it just that 'some' may be fake ?
Or... did you mean the 45g packaging size specifically ?

Is this 4g syringe which I bought a few years ago a 'fake' ? As it looks so professionally made:
https://images.nexusapp.co/assets/dd/3e/9f/5623784.jpg

Seems like they are really hard to tell apart by packaging alone if so... 😣:
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/be … ic-mx-4.281997/
(I have no QR 'scanner' at hand, so...)

Edit: ...ah, seems I have the 'sticker version' ! 😅
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comment … to_spot_a_fake/

All 2019 Editions are FAKE AFAIK regardless of sticker. That product does not exist on Arctic Cooling website at all. Email them and ask.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 23761 of 27188, by bearking

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-02-16, 06:08:
This is the thermal paste I use for all of my general purpose applications. The tube is enormous and, despite using it very libe […]
Show full quote

This is the thermal paste I use for all of my general purpose applications. The tube is enormous and, despite using it very liberally, has lasted years. I can recommend this highly.

Does anyone have any information on it? I'm pretty sure I ordered it from either eBay or AliExpress a long time ago.

20230216_010235.jpg

20230216_010254.jpg

I'm using the exact same paste for more then two years now, and I totally agree with you. I bought it from AliExpress

Reply 23762 of 27188, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have also an enormous syringe of paste from aliexpress. Keyword is "GD900".
Bought it few years ago after doing a bit of research. This is actually benchmarked by many people and shows very good results - especially for the price.
Tech YES City as an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dTzf6dpCpo

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 23763 of 27188, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2023-02-16, 06:16:
Now you got me worried, are you sure about 2019 not existing at all ? Or is it just that 'some' may be fake ? Or... did you mean […]
Show full quote
appiah4 wrote on 2023-02-15, 16:58:

There is no such thing as an MX-4 2019 edition, it was released in 2020. Those 2019 editions are bootlegs. They are not terrible, but also not great.

Now you got me worried, are you sure about 2019 not existing at all ? Or is it just that 'some' may be fake ?

Is this 4g syringe which I bought a few years ago a 'fake' ? As it looks so professionally made:

All 2019 Editions are FAKE AFAIK regardless of sticker. That product does not exist on Arctic Cooling website at all. Email them and ask.

Well, this is their answer 🤔 :

fakeArctic_noname.JPG
Filename
fakeArctic_noname.JPG
File size
125.95 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

(GDPR edit)

Last edited by bestemor on 2023-02-18, 14:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 23764 of 27188, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bestemor wrote on 2023-02-16, 11:40:
appiah4 wrote on 2023-02-16, 06:16:
Show full quote

Well, this is their answer 🤔 :fakeArctic.JPG

Alright, you learn something every day 😅

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 23765 of 27188, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm diving into the abyss of DirectMusic. Since it's still included in Windows, I want to see what we can do with it at this point and how it can still serve our needs, as we've moved away from MIDI hardware. Unfortunately, the documentation is haphazard at best, the few applications are outdated, and the once-abundant commercial DLS offerings from the late 90's and early 2000's are nowhere to be found now.

Reply 23766 of 27188, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-02-16, 06:08:
This is the thermal paste I use for all of my general purpose applications. The tube is enormous and, despite using it very libe […]
Show full quote

This is the thermal paste I use for all of my general purpose applications. The tube is enormous and, despite using it very liberally, has lasted years. I can recommend this highly.

Does anyone have any information on it? I'm pretty sure I ordered it from either eBay or AliExpress a long time ago.

20230216_010235.jpg

20230216_010254.jpg

I've been using that paste for years too, seems to do the trick.

I even used it on an Xbox 360 and that thing is rock solid with no red rings.

Reply 23767 of 27188, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2023-02-16, 13:04:

I'm diving into the abyss of DirectMusic. Since it's still included in Windows, I want to see what we can do with it at this point and how it can still serve our needs, as we've moved away from MIDI hardware. Unfortunately, the documentation is haphazard at best, the few applications are outdated, and the once-abundant commercial DLS offerings from the late 90's and early 2000's are nowhere to be found now.

There are actually two software MIDI synthesizers from Microsoft. The Roland one that is built into Windows, which is available with WDM drivers, and a different one that is available through DirectMusic. The DirectMusic one is odd in that it's only accessible via the DirectX API; it isn't accessible directly through the Sound Devices synthesizer control.

I believe it's possible to just this second synthesizer for software synthesis with VxD drivers, but it's only accessible by games that utilize it directly via DirectMusic.

It's kind of a weird dead API that I think was quickly replaced by DirectSound features.

Reply 23768 of 27188, by Turbo ->

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Correct me if I'm wrong because English is not my native language, but according to the answer from Arctic GmbH, there is no such statement that 2019 edition is all fake. They just claim that 2019 edition was faked pretty often.

Reply 23769 of 27188, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would also like to play "Rate my crappy paste"

"Xpower Silver TIM" 30g tube this one, came smaller too, but can't remember if 3g, 5g or 10g. Got a bunch in a lot of hardware prolly a decade ago, and been using it up in less critical, low performance applications. IDK if it's any better than cheapest white stuff really or whether it actually has any silver in.

But for serious, anyone seen a thorough review of it anywhere? I'm kinda curious.

Attachments

• XpowerSilverTIM30g.jpg
    Filename
    XpowerSilverTIM30g.jpg
    File size
    352.4 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Xpower brand Thermal Interface Material, generic grey goop?
    File license
    Public domain

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 23770 of 27188, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-02-16, 18:46:

But for serious, anyone seen a thorough review of it anywhere? I'm kinda curious.

Google hasn't recorded any. Only mentions I see are Greek, so it's not very widespread.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 23771 of 27188, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yah I see that, seems weird it still seems to be for sale, last time I searched a few years back, there were a few forum hits from the noughts, but looked like it was something on sale for a year or two then gone.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 23772 of 27188, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

GD900 is 1w/mk and is chinese in orgin. I checked on that long ago and it is junk and you don't know what was in it and was this reviewed on youtube?

*No matter how you get* especially aliexpress, ebay and amazon, and chinese sellers are always suspect. Always check thermal brands is genuine especially the MX-4 or -5 and Noctua, etc. Safest thing is just pay more for good brands and get generic paste from non-chinese sellers instead. Same issues with chips. 8 or so years ago, I bought well known two rail 5 pin high speed amp TO-220 made by LM something for a special project. Barely stronger than a generic TO-92 at 100mA drive into typical transformer, not even 1 amp and the signal was very distorted and did not reach full bandwidth potential, and the leads is full of impurities that snaps easily with one bend. I was following a reference circuit published in the data sheet for that amplifier IC.

Few years ago I bought FPM 256K x 16bit drams from chinese. Over painted then remarked and the solder pins, which I need to solder to a board to be upgraded wouldn't take solder at all, and even sanded away still would not take the solder at all and pins looked horrible.

One time I had a failing power cord with kettle plug on other end, that came with chinese electronics and cut it up for other use on a industrial power supply with screw terminals, then to my horror, 18 gauge! About 1mm dia. No where that unsafe cable can handle more than 500mA let alone surge current at turn on, ditto not safe for typical kettle power cord even on a 200W usage. Thrown away already.

CPAP blower advertised to sell EBMpapst part and featured first 4 photos of the pretty high quality blower, with correct part number, I got a genetic CPAP blower from aliexpress and way the the seller's page is nowhere any mention of any substitute at all. Only faint hint was last couple photos was the actual generic CPAP blower with out any part number at all, which I thought seller made a mistake including that generic blower in that page.

Way the frequency of issues with each order previously, I no longer will not deal with chinese anymore except for genuine surplus parts eg: fans, wires, connectors, adapters, and working project boards is about it.
I did occasionally get substitutes on correct part fan order. One time I got a delta made fan with San Ace label, Instantly gone in the bin. And one of the delta fan was so horribly made that delta don't do. Again gone into bin heaven. Even I did get different fan with correct part number but revision part numbers on both was different but this is not what I wanted, so I had to reorder again from another seller in order to get correct one.
The fan had same part number except for revision code, one is clockwise rotation while other one is counter-clockwise.

Another issue, I had with chinese is improperly made parts. One time I received extended battery pack from chinese for a netbook, and is widely sold by many sellers. Will fit but will not open up fully due to plastic blocking the lid from going futher. Only way is cut off the nonstructural along width of the battery, which does not do anything with battery itself or leave a opening to the electronics or internal batteries. After the alternation netbook is able to open up fully.

I see this chinese made generic parts fitment and electronics issues *ALL THE TIME* at work thanks to Apple does not made these OEM ipad parts available, only for iphones. I had to fight with ipad mini 2 yesterday, to get digitizer glass fitted correctly that took 3 hours to complete *and* not having to pinch the flexes, important when you don't want potential future warranty issue. Alternations include reposition the home button flex, reposition the front camera alignment pins holder, tweak the contact pins on the motherboard to stop the touch issues, even had to remove the white shim spacer under right bottom antenna so glass would not bulge when installed. Also I had to replace because that generic digitizer glass shattered easily during fussing, genuine glass is treated and does not crack that easily. It was from a reputable vendor in canada, not their fault as they import quality chinese parts anyway.
But there is a bad batch too often from same vendor. I had, yes five, bad screen assemblies, which are costly due to LCD and digitizer glass bonded together as a unit, for a ipad pro that failed tap tests but dragging passed, but tapping as as tap on a icon, typing on the keyboard etc failed. Had to pay bit more to get premium screen that passed or use white or black screen that worked properly only approved if we called customer if they don't mind the different color. Multiples times on another customer's ipad pros series as well. Another time I had seen screen assemblies for ipads built too thick using too thick adhesive to hold the screen stack together cause pressure marks. Worst of all mis-designed flexes that is dimensional wrong will not let screen to fit and cannot be relocated or folded away.

Even the newest ipad with usb-c replacement screens has thin adhesive rails and they are badly mis-positioned. You really NEED that adhesive positioned correctly to secure the screen strongly again because of warranty issues we don't want due to 1 year warranty. Because the aluminum frame where adhesive has to be bonded onto, to is only 1.5 to 2mm wide in many places. I had to rip all them off and re-tape with new tesa tapes and shave them off along the edge with a razor, time wasted. No we didn't buy cheap nor from bad vendor and that vendor we buy from is better than average so our hands is tied.

If you had to get your ipad's digitizer glass or screen replaced, you will lose magic pen support due to missing layers made for this.

Cheers,

Last edited by pentiumspeed on 2023-02-16, 20:00. Edited 3 times in total.

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 23773 of 27188, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Turbo -> wrote on 2023-02-16, 17:06:

Correct me if I'm wrong because English is not my native language, but according to the answer from Arctic GmbH, there is no such statement that 2019 edition is all fake. They just claim that 2019 edition was faked pretty often.

Correct. It was faked often, but it does exist as an original

Reply 23774 of 27188, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Turbo -> wrote on 2023-02-16, 17:06:

Yes. That is exactly what he said there. So, myth busted, heh... 😄
(and I can relax while not having to re-apply paste on 'all' my retro gear)

Edit: haha, HanSolo was quicker on the draw!

Reply 23776 of 27188, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

-----> let's start a war not even Paxton Fettel could foresee 😀
My experience with GD-900 is good so far.
Mx-4 a little better but not that much. I bought GD as it came directly from China through a friend, and I paid it like 2€ for 40-45g.

I use Mx-4 on definitive builds, GD for tests.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 23777 of 27188, by yourepicfailure

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Received the 1.1GHz Pentium 3 SL5QW and slapped that into the Toshiba. Sadly, the machine would not start at all with Coppermine-T and I assumed it would not start with 133MHz Coppermine either.
Going from a 1.1GHz Celery to a 1.1GHz Pentium 3 may not seem like much to some, but the improvement is noticeable. It even runs cooler with the Pentium 3.

Reply 23778 of 27188, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
yourepicfailure wrote on 2023-02-17, 05:14:

Received the 1.1GHz Pentium 3 SL5QW and slapped that into the Toshiba. Sadly, the machine would not start at all with Coppermine-T and I assumed it would not start with 133MHz Coppermine either.
Going from a 1.1GHz Celery to a 1.1GHz Pentium 3 may not seem like much to some, but the improvement is noticeable. It even runs cooler with the Pentium 3.

What! Talking non-sense. You said one thing then now saying another. Which PIII 1.1GHz worked on your notebook?

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.