VOGONS

Reply 24160 of 27350, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Iarsin wrote on 2023-04-09, 18:44:
I'm more interested in a CPU-z DOS version to identify for example the Mainboard of the Unisys pw² 500 16A. I need a manual for […]
Show full quote

I'm more interested in a CPU-z DOS version to identify for example the Mainboard of the Unisys pw² 500 16A. I need a manual for it's dip switches/jumper settings. The imprints are a bit unclear for me to make sense of.

But I actually doubt, that some sort of diagnostics tool can identify the Mainboard, and I think, it's really only build for this PC. A 386 doesn't come with dmi or the like.

There is a manual of the pw² 300 in the driver section, though.

Anyway, a DOS version would be cool, or at least for win 3.* ...

Would it take 4*16MB fpm SIMMs 30-pin? I got some handy.

HWiNFO for DOS provides a lot of hardware information.

Reply 24161 of 27350, by Veeb0rg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2023-04-06, 18:37:
Law212 wrote on 2023-04-06, 18:33:
Finished setting up my pentium 2 Voodoo 2 sli setup. […]
Show full quote

Finished setting up my pentium 2 Voodoo 2 sli setup.

Im using a monster 2 8 meg card and a voodoo 2 12 meg card which isnt ideal but its all i have for now.

8f0BDLk.jpg

wjOEjj9.jpg

That SLI bridge PCB is pretty neat. I can't help but feel that one of the real 3dfx logos should have been used on it though. Where did you get it?

Looks like they're here - https://www.serdashop.com/3DVideoBridge

Reply 24162 of 27350, by Veeb0rg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Iarsin wrote on 2023-04-07, 12:09:

I try to get some old MFM and rll hard drives running, but I never have done that before. So I'm not successful at all.

Don't be discouraged, those old drives literally die on their own from age. Adrian's digital basement did several videos on trying to revive some.

Reply 24163 of 27350, by Brawndo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got the video and sound card drivers and applications installed in my 1998 Dell Win98 system, and installed all the updates from the Windows Security 2004 CD. All that's left is to update the Live! drivers to the LiveWare 3.0 version, install the latest officially supported DirectX for Win98, and then it's time to install some games!

Reply 24164 of 27350, by Demetrio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Me and a friend of mine wanted to play some Quake 2 coop so I used this moment to make some test:

• Tested Internet multiplayer on my retro PII build
    I set up a coop server on an AWS VM (the free one 😁) and invited my friend to play. He used a Mac with Yamagi source port and had no problem, while I experienced severe lag with my Pentium II build; I believe the bottleneck is the ISA ethernet card, which cannot keep up with modern clients speed.
    Overall we had fun 🙂
  • Tested VGA capture
    Recorded my build VGA for the first time, through OBS: video was good while the audio was corrupted. Have to investigate the issue.

Uploaded a video of the test: https://youtu.be/OfdK-150bfs

I placed the Quake 2 OST over it for the audio recording problem.

Reply 24165 of 27350, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Veeb0rg wrote on 2023-04-10, 04:26:
Iarsin wrote on 2023-04-07, 12:09:

I try to get some old MFM and rll hard drives running, but I never have done that before. So I'm not successful at all.

Don't be discouraged, those old drives literally die on their own from age. Adrian's digital basement did several videos on trying to revive some.

The motor shaft can also freeze if it's been stationary for too long. If it's accessible, you can try giving it some help.

Reply 24166 of 27350, by Iarsin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What kind of oil is suitable? Can I use oil for sewing machines? Or WD-40?

Tested once okay, but I think it's way to slow? It also did some noise that sounds exceptionally slow for stepper and maybe also heads?
IMG_20230406_203318.jpg

The Unisys test Tool only counted read errors.
IMG_20230406_143915.jpg

Submit is greyed out when attaching files, I already noticed Saturday.

Therefore I'm also not able to send a Soundfile.

Reply 24167 of 27350, by Iarsin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kahenraz wrote:

None of the diagnostic tools will tell about the Mainboard. Therefor I actually think CPU-z will also not achieve that anyway.

The BIOS strings will tell Unisys pw² 500 16A, I guess.

Reply 24168 of 27350, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Iarsin wrote on 2023-04-10, 10:00:
Kahenraz wrote:

None of the diagnostic tools will tell about the Mainboard. Therefor I actually think CPU-z will also not achieve that anyway.

The BIOS strings will tell Unisys pw² 500 16A, I guess.

I wonder how many 386-era motherboards had make and model info written in BIOS so a third-party software could read it out. 🙄

Reply 24169 of 27350, by stef80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finally finished my "Year2k" build based on PIII Coppermine 1GHz, Voodoo 5 and Aureal Vortex 2:

20230410_113218.jpg
Filename
20230410_113218.jpg
File size
1.92 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
20230407_095030.jpg
Filename
20230407_095030.jpg
File size
1.84 MiB
Views
File license

Very silent it is 😉.

It's based on a PC I had in 2001, with some changes:
* GeForce2MX -> 3dfx V5 5500
* SB Live! -> Aureal SQ2500

Case is actually the same.

Last edited by stef80 on 2023-04-10, 17:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 24170 of 27350, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is no need to compromise. A PCI Sound Blaster can happily live alongside an Aureal Vortex. You just need to feed the line-out of one into the line-in of the other.

Getting the drivers configured is a bit tricky, though. Make sure to disable legacy sound emulation for one of them in Device Manager, otherwise they will conflict. Also install the Aureal drivers last or backup and restore the a3d.dll that is installed. Creative's version has bugs, and you need the Aureal one to work with the other card anyways.

Last edited by Kahenraz on 2023-04-10, 20:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 24172 of 27350, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It lives. 😀
Had to glue the case back together in a number of places, add a composite out mod and a PAL/NTSC converter, and also build a US-compatible power supply.
The cassette player/recorder is still busted.
But the "computer" part works fine.

Attachments

• ZX+2A.jpg
    Filename
    ZX+2A.jpg
    File size
    661.28 KiB
    Views
    File license

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 24173 of 27350, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stamasd wrote on 2023-04-10, 19:58:
It lives. :) Had to glue the case back together in a number of places, add a composite out mod and a PAL/NTSC converter, and als […]
Show full quote

It lives. 😀
Had to glue the case back together in a number of places, add a composite out mod and a PAL/NTSC converter, and also build a US-compatible power supply.
The cassette player/recorder is still busted.
But the "computer" part works fine.

Good work!

The cassette deck will probably need a new belt, I had to do that on mine several years ago and was pretty much the only thing wrong with it. I hardly ever use cassettes though, a DivMMC expansion makes life much easier all around.

Reply 24174 of 27350, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's more than a belt; several of the buttons don't work properly, either can't be pressed down or when pressed don't click in place and stay down (the "play" button does that), so there's more to it.
It's not critical, I have a Interface 1bis to use with it https://sites.google.com/site/interface1bis/
and a TZXduino.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 24176 of 27350, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

BTW I've used several "broke" cassette boomboxes as amps with merely a cassette/aux adapter, they don't need to turn, stop, eject well or anything else, all you need is some play mechanism function to get the head in place, even if you have to wedge the button down. So, it's possible you might get it "working" with one of those, with the 3.5mm plugged into another tape deck, MP3 player, winCE handheld (They play wav well) or laptop or desktop.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 24177 of 27350, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've had a lot of trouble using much newer cassette decks with my ZX81. Recording is particularly difficult. It's much better to use a mono cable or adapter as well.

This was the advantage of the all-in-one units. No need to fiddle with an external tape deck.

Reply 24178 of 27350, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-04-11, 13:06:

Depending on the mechanism, of it's some kind of carbon-backed switch or dome, you can repair these with a bit of special paint. 8-bit Guy did an episode on this for a different keyboard.

It's not the computer keyboard. That works fine. It's the controls of the mechanism of the tape deck, you see those at the bottom right of the picture separate from the keyboard.
There's something that mechanically stops them from operating correctly. Probably some part broken inside.
I think this machine had some sort of mechanical shock applied to it at one point. All of the standoffs that hold the 2 halves of the case together were broken and the bottom part of the case was cracked. That may have damaged the mechanism of the tape deck as well.
At least the PCB was intact and it works correctly. And the keyboard, which would be a pain to replace.

(BTW the PCB is actually +2B rev.1 not +2A; it's part number Z70833 - in theory I could remove the tape mechanism altogether and replace it with an original disk unit, and it would work seamlessly)

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O