VOGONS

Reply 24320 of 27186, by Turbo ->

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm trying to figure out if the CPU voltage settings on my socket 7 motherboard GA-586ATS are correct. The motherboard has an AMD-K6-233ANR CPU installed as I got it and it boots fine. The manual says that JP6 and JP7 should both be opened or both closed. But this motherboard has JP6 1-2 closed, and JP7 has 2-3 closed, but I believe that JP7 should have 1-2 closed. Does anyone have an idea if the current jumper settings on the picture are correct?

Attachments

Reply 24321 of 27186, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did some maintenance and benchmarking. I ran 3DMark2001 on a V6600 and V6800 (Geforce256 SDR and DDR)
The scores were 2207 and 2638 marks on my Athlon 1000 system (slot A Thunderbird). Happy with it. 😀

Attachments

• DSC_3753~2.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_3753~2.JPG
    File size
    1.07 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 24322 of 27186, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I switched my 6851 SID chip out with a BackSID, as the original was missing a sound channel entirely. and, now that I am looking at the chip without the rest of the system around it, it looks like it's been heat damaged in the 38 or so years it wasn't mine. the middle of the logo is a discernible shade darker than the rest of it.

IMG_1772.jpg
Filename
IMG_1772.jpg
File size
1.89 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

But hey, outside of some songs not sounding 100% right, like demoscene stuff like 64 forever, I can't really complain.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 24323 of 27186, by Turbo ->

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I was talking about my GA-586ATS motherboard a few days ago and a strange thing happened to me. When I said I was testing the motherboard and she worked, I was testing it when she was still in the PC case with AT power supply it came with. Two days later when I put the motherboard out of the case, I tested it again, but she didn't post anymore. She was giving beep sounds only when the ram was removed. But when I placed a PCI VGA card, nothing. No beeps, no post screen. I didn't know what was wrong, so I put everything away until now. I tested the motherboard again but with the old power supply, I was testing it in the beginning and she posted again. Then I connected again my ATX to AT power supply I usually test this kind of motherboards with and has ATX to AT adapter and again she didn't post. So I believe that perhaps something isn't right with power supply of sending the right voltage due to ATX to AT adapter? However, it seems odd to me, because I've been using this power supply for a few years now and I don't think I encountered such an issue. I would also like to point out that AS2880 voltage regulator which has a black heatsink and is near the CPU gets extremely hot. I've measured above 60°C in just a few minutes of being connected to power and is really hot. I would like to decrease this heat somehow. Maybe installing some other less amperage demanding CPU?

Attachments

Reply 24324 of 27186, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was finally able to create an SMB network share that works with Windows 98. When I upgraded my router I had to switch from Samba3 to Samba4 and couldn't get it to work anymore.

So I tinkered around a bit today and tried various smb.conf options but they all didn't work - until I finally stumbled upon the solution.

tinue on github wrote this up and it works really well:
https://gist.github.com/tinue/9d9ce9c09e9e771 … 9b27f6d0e859c4e

This supposedly even works with OS/2 Warp 4.52.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 24326 of 27186, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
LewisRaz wrote on 2023-05-13, 11:53:

Benched my DX4 Overdrive against the stock DX2 in my dell 466i.

https://youtu.be/yL86qGZdJW0

Looks good, how is it in terms of heat? I've got a very similar Dell pizzabox case with the Netplex 4/25 which right now has a somewhat slower sx25. Does your one have a fan in the front possibly?

The other day I was going through some of my old boards that were put away as 'for parts', since I've found more than one board I thought was dead actually works sometime later because of a dumb thing I missed.
A Toshiba Satellite 110CT board that I thought had been broken when I tried to clean its corrosion, turned out to work quite well but I was using the wrong power supply which it would refuse to power from. (it needs 18.2v internal AC>DC PSU, it was mixed up with a 15.2v PSU from another model). Put it back together and found the internal keyboard / mouse were all messed up, but external kb/mouse worked. Known good laptop keyboards wouldn't work on it and it appeared that the battery leak had got to the keyboard area first. Decided to pull off the keyboard connector and found it was so badly corroded and stuck on there that in the end I just cut it up and broke chunks of it off. Some traces had gone bad:

Satellite-110ct-keyboard-tracing.jpg
Filename
File size
672 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

For reference, from left to right everything except the last 6 pins is the keyboard connector which integrates the upper and lower layers into one connector. Then the last 6 are the Toshiba Accupoint mouse which is a 4-way variable resistor between 5v and gnd to make up the left/right and up/down directions. The keyboard connector is mostly the same on the Toshiba Satellite T2100 to Satellite 400 / 410 / 420 / 430 series laptops.
I was able to repair most of the traces underneath and put solder mask on everything to keep it in place and not melt off:

sat110-kb.JPG
Filename
sat110-kb.JPG
File size
589.32 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Took a connector from a board I thought was dead (hot air 250c at full speed) and soldered it onto this 110CT. That got the keyboard working then the mouse was not detected unless an external one was plugged in. That turned out to be the Alps chip which is the internal pointer controller had gone bad. Borrowed that from the same board and now the mouse works. It got downgraded to a Satellite 110CS with a DSTN screen in the process because that's what was left and now it's a pretty nice laptop that was a pile of junk parts a little while ago.

In the process, I learnt that using hot air soldering on a Toshiba Satellite motherboard when it's not secured to anything is a *terrible idea*. These motherboards have large QFPs on both sides and if the board flexes while the PCB is heated, legs from those QFPs will come unstuck. I thought I'd re-killed this Satellite 110CT but through careful resoldering of the QFP legs and inspecting it was working again.

That got me thinking, I had bought a Toshiba Satellite 430 motherboard some months ago which I thought I'd killed because I put hot air on it after failing to get the VGA working right, thinking it was a badly fitted VGA card connector, I tried resoldering the QFPs and eventually it stopped posting at all after I'd worked on it a bit. I thought that maybe some internal vias were broken and these boards are fragile but no. These boards just have lots of pins and lots of things to get wrong.
Looking at it a few months later and in bright daylight I made tons of mistakes, bridged legs on some chips and the corner of one QFP had pins just completely off the board.
Delicately resoldering those and cleaning up my mistakes the board now works again and with a scrap Satellite 400CDT case, along with a mostly broken video card that can't run an LCD display, it's a working system again - til I get some better parts for it:

sat430-pcb-1.jpg
Filename
sat430-pcb-1.jpg
File size
1.06 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The speaker is from an HP laptop and the buttons are hot glued into place. I'm upset about the arrow keys, notice they're a different colour? Turns out melting hot glue with a hair drier also melts keyboard keys 🙁

sat430-pcb-2.jpg
Filename
sat430-pcb-2.jpg
File size
192.73 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The 400CDT's case is smaller than the 430CDT so uh, I made it fit.

sat430-pcb-3.jpg
Filename
sat430-pcb-3.jpg
File size
433.32 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The last Satellite 4xx power supply I tried fixing had a load of corrosion in it and went bang when I last powered it, so stuff it, now the laptop runs from DC instead. This could be useful in future when more of the internal AC>DC power supplies on these 400 series laptops fail to capacitor leaks.

Also hopefully just helped epictronics with overclocking an IBM 486 motherboard

Reply 24327 of 27186, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Been a while.

Finally got my floppies in one place. Been buying a few rolodex-style containers at thrift stores - they don't have computers in thrift around here anymore, but they get disk boxes surprisingly regularly.

Ozzuneoj was commenting on their overwhelming collection of floppies - I don't have that problem, but I finally kind of sort of have enough 3.5s. Still short of 5.25's. I gave up my 8" floppy drive many years ago and still regret it. For some reason I got full systems dumped on me way more often than boxes of floppies. I had to buy two boxes of 5.25's.

Sort of retro I'm testing drives on a sort of "2010 file server" because I'm too cheap to buy new drives right now. Right now it's on the bench and my old server from like 2012 is still chugging along. I'm probably going to balance the drives out a little bit to try to match amounts and have one turned on once a week to sync or something. Eventually I will get some 14tb drives or whatever and just obsolete them both, at which point I'll be buried in 640-2000Gb drives. I intend to have an Encom logo printed for the new server.

I've made no real progress on my emulation machine, other than lining up software. Still have a lot of cleaning to do. I am kind of mentally getting used to the idea of getting away from hardware - though I still plan to keep a bunch of relevant hardware, I won't need as much as I did. Was thinking of a Soroc or Sord logo for this one.

Also making no progress selling things. Need to just get stuff out the door, have boxes of cards and several computers I need to move, been super tired today but physical rehab is helping, slowly.

The adaptec card in my new server has little red flashy LEDs on the card that are making me nostalgic for a time before mine where the computers had "banks" and "blinkenlights." I don't know if I ever will, but I want to transform one of my big wire shelves into a semi-fictional computer bank with sideways 19" slide-out racks that are basically motherboard and drive trays. Just because it's cool. More ideas than energy or money, though. 😀

Since I'm not likely to do it, I might as well plan something crazy. Maybe a big UPS, combined cooling... a fire extinguisher built in? That would make a nice mess. 😀

Oh, and I ended up with *one* slot A Athlon and no slot A motherboards to even test it. *shrug* I will probably find out in a month I was horribly wrong, but I think I'm out of collecting mode and into maintenance mode. Would have been nice to find more early 80s stuff, but it's nice to have a C64 and Kaypro.

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 24328 of 27186, by DundyTheCroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some time ago I got for dirty cheap GA-5AX (rev. 5.2) MB, K6-2 500MHz, 128MB RAM, 20GB HDD, FDD, CD and some other stuff, but had no free case. At last my first ever SS7 PC is ready, video TNT2 Pro, audio ESS688, Maxdata case (a bit newer than the other parts, but it gets harder to find pre 2000 cases).

SS7_In.jpg
Filename
SS7_In.jpg
File size
111.59 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
SS7_Front.jpg
Filename
SS7_Front.jpg
File size
91.91 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 24329 of 27186, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Merovign wrote on 2023-05-14, 07:13:

I will probably find out in a month I was horribly wrong, but I think I'm out of collecting mode and into maintenance mode. Would have been nice to find more early 80s stuff, but it's nice to have a C64 and Kaypro.

I can relate. I'm in this selling mode, and am planning to keep 3 or 4 systems. But it's too hard to make a choice which systems to keep. I think it will be the P1 200 MMX for DOS stuff, Athlon 1000, P3 1400S and Athlon 1700+. Choices... Space... Money... Being rational... Ah what a nice hobby this is.
The oldest system I ever owned whas a 286 12 MHz, but the fear of self destruct some day is keeping me from buying or owning such a system in the future.
Yes, every tantalum or electrolytic capacitor is replaceable, but then again...

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 24330 of 27186, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DundyTheCroc wrote on 2023-05-14, 10:13:

Some time ago I got for dirty cheap GA-5AX (rev. 5.2) MB, K6-2 500MHz, 128MB RAM, 20GB HDD, FDD, CD and some other stuff, but had no free case. At last my first ever SS7 PC is ready, video TNT2 Pro, audio ESS688, Maxdata case (a bit newer than the other parts, but it gets harder to find pre 2000 cases).
SS7_In.jpg
SS7_Front.jpg

Ah nice, reading Re: AGP for Super S7 with weak VRMS? and the following posts might be of interest. It's specific to the revision 5.2 of the board.

Searching a Nexgen Nx586 with FPU, PM me if you have one. I have some Athlon MP systems and cookies.

Reply 24331 of 27186, by Brawndo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've just been backlogged with testing newly acquired parts with what spare time I have after the kids go to bed. Ever go on a buying binge on ebay and end up with a pile of boxes of parts? Well that's where I'm at. I still need to test at least 5 CPUs, 3 or 4 graphics cards, a motherboard, two sound cards, and I still have two more graphics cards and two more motherboards inbound. Trying to get caught up.

Reply 24332 of 27186, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PD2JK wrote on 2023-05-14, 11:10:
Merovign wrote on 2023-05-14, 07:13:

I will probably find out in a month I was horribly wrong, but I think I'm out of collecting mode and into maintenance mode. Would have been nice to find more early 80s stuff, but it's nice to have a C64 and Kaypro.

I can relate. I'm in this selling mode, and am planning to keep 3 or 4 systems. But it's too hard to make a choice which systems to keep. I think it will be the P1 200 MMX for DOS stuff, Athlon 1000, P3 1400S and Athlon 1700+. Choices... Space... Money... Being rational... Ah what a nice hobby this is.

Well, I'm going to keep more than 4, but also some of it will just be parts. I might even do a wall system or test bench style platforms to save some space. But it can be hard to whittle it down no matter what number you plan to end up at, there's always another what if...

I'm still at the "Do I keep it because it's rare or because I want to use it for something" question, when I know that's exactly when you need to sell it. I'm trying to get the emulation station going so I can actually say "well I really don't intend to use that thing..."

Part of my problem is I just like having hardware but I don't have that much room. 🙁

One of the 1.5Tb drives is showing signs of failure, too. 🙁 Why couldn't a 500 have failed? Or a 320, I have like 20 of those.

Edit: Server 2 hardware up, juggling OS choices. 😀 *Ten* drives but only 9 Terabytes, very old school (and very scuff if I say so myself, zero new parts).

Last edited by Merovign on 2023-05-15, 06:15. Edited 1 time in total.

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 24333 of 27186, by Dmetsys

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Attempting to acquire a Lucky Star LS-486E to rebuild my 486 system. My MLE 486VLB is now starting to show signs of instability. The documentation for it is worse than that of an assembly diagram for a Sears Barbecue.

A7N8X-LA | 2800+ | GeForce2 MX400 | Audigy 2 ZS
BE6-II 1.0 | PIII-933 | Viper 770 TNT2 | Live 5.1 Value
MS-5169 | K6-2 450 | Voodoo3 3000 AGP | AWE64 Value
P5A-B | P200-S | 64MB | MGA Millennium | Yamaha 719
LS-486E | Am5x86-P75

Reply 24334 of 27186, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Thermalwrong wrote on 2023-05-14, 00:48:
Looks good, how is it in terms of heat? I've got a very similar Dell pizzabox case with the Netplex 4/25 which right now has a s […]
Show full quote

Looks good, how is it in terms of heat? I've got a very similar Dell pizzabox case with the Netplex 4/25 which right now has a somewhat slower sx25. Does your one have a fan in the front possibly?

The other day I was going through some of my old boards that were put away as 'for parts', since I've found more than one board I thought was dead actually works sometime later because of a dumb thing I missed.
A Toshiba Satellite 110CT board that I thought had been broken when I tried to clean its corrosion, turned out to work quite well but I was using the wrong power supply which it would refuse to power from. (it needs 18.2v internal AC>DC PSU, it was mixed up with a 15.2v PSU from another model). Put it back together and found the internal keyboard / mouse were all messed up, but external kb/mouse worked. Known good laptop keyboards wouldn't work on it and it appeared that the battery leak had got to the keyboard area first. Decided to pull off the keyboard connector and found it was so badly corroded and stuck on there that in the end I just cut it up and broke chunks of it off. Some traces had gone bad:
For reference, from left to right everything except the last 6 pins is the keyboard connector which integrates the upper and lower layers into one connector. Then the last 6 are the Toshiba Accupoint mouse which is a 4-way variable resistor between 5v and gnd to make up the left/right and up/down directions. The keyboard connector is mostly the same on the Toshiba Satellite T2100 to Satellite 400 / 410 / 420 / 430 series laptops.
I was able to repair most of the traces underneath and put solder mask on everything to keep it in place and not melt off:
sat110-kb.JPG
Took a connector from a board I thought was dead (hot air 250c at full speed) and soldered it onto this 110CT. That got the keyboard working then the mouse was not detected unless an external one was plugged in. That turned out to be the Alps chip which is the internal pointer controller had gone bad. Borrowed that from the same board and now the mouse works. It got downgraded to a Satellite 110CS with a DSTN screen in the process because that's what was left and now it's a pretty nice laptop that was a pile of junk parts a little while ago.

In the process, I learnt that using hot air soldering on a Toshiba Satellite motherboard when it's not secured to anything is a *terrible idea*. These motherboards have large QFPs on both sides and if the board flexes while the PCB is heated, legs from those QFPs will come unstuck. I thought I'd re-killed this Satellite 110CT but through careful resoldering of the QFP legs and inspecting it was working again.

That got me thinking, I had bought a Toshiba Satellite 430 motherboard some months ago which I thought I'd killed because I put hot air on it after failing to get the VGA working right, thinking it was a badly fitted VGA card connector, I tried resoldering the QFPs and eventually it stopped posting at all after I'd worked on it a bit. I thought that maybe some internal vias were broken and these boards are fragile but no. These boards just have lots of pins and lots of things to get wrong.
Looking at it a few months later and in bright daylight I made tons of mistakes, bridged legs on some chips and the corner of one QFP had pins just completely off the board.
Delicately resoldering those and cleaning up my mistakes the board now works again and with a scrap Satellite 400CDT case, along with a mostly broken video card that can't run an LCD display, it's a working system again - til I get some better parts for it:
sat430-pcb-1.jpg
The speaker is from an HP laptop and the buttons are hot glued into place. I'm upset about the arrow keys, notice they're a different colour? Turns out melting hot glue with a hair drier also melts keyboard keys 🙁
sat430-pcb-2.jpg
sat430-pcb-3.jpg
The last Satellite 4xx power supply I tried fixing had a load of corrosion in it and went bang when I last powered it, so stuff it, now the laptop runs from DC instead. This could be useful in future when more of the internal AC>DC power supplies on these 400 series laptops fail to capacitor leaks.

It gets too hot too touch.. It does not have a fan in it only the one in the PSU. I did rig a fan up to it but that was too loud. For now I have left it with the DX2 instead anyway.

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 24335 of 27186, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
LewisRaz wrote on 2023-05-14, 21:35:
Thermalwrong wrote on 2023-05-14, 00:48:
Looks good, how is it in terms of heat? I've got a very similar Dell pizzabox case with the Netplex 4/25 which right now has a s […]
Show full quote

sat110-kb.JPG

sat430-pcb-1.jpg
sat430-pcb-2.jpg
sat430-pcb-3.jpg

It gets too hot too touch.. It does not have a fan in it only the one in the PSU. I did rig a fan up to it but that was too loud. For now I have left it with the DX2 instead anyway.

Thanks 😀 I'll probably just put a cooler running CPU in that case after all. It does seem like pretty much a closed box so makes sense that the airflow over the cpu isn't enough for a DX4.
Maybe I should just put the Kingston Turbochip on it since that's cool running with its own 3.3v regulator and has the fan built in - quite a speedboost from the SX 25 it started with.

Reply 24336 of 27186, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ManicMusic wrote on 2023-04-17, 04:18:
creepingnet wrote on 2021-12-20, 18:23:
LOL, yeah, I'm really winning the PC Chips "lottery" at this point, I've got 3 - a M912 in my second 486, the Moondog Tower, tha […]
Show full quote
dionb wrote on 2021-12-19, 14:51:
Ah, that old train-wreck of a board - SiS 5591 AGP chipset ruined by adding an onboard SiS 6326 instead of just giving you an AG […]
Show full quote

Ah, that old train-wreck of a board - SiS 5591 AGP chipset ruined by adding an onboard SiS 6326 instead of just giving you an AGP slot.

Two potential issues:
1) 5V/3.3V jumpers by the DIMMs. Silly because the DIMM slots are keyed for 3.3V only, but if these jumpers (J2A+B) are set incorrectly, bad things happen. Both need to be on 2-3
2) despite "PC100" labels all over the board, 5591 doesn't support 100MHz operation.

Assuming the VDIMM jumper isn't wrong, I'd suggest assuming BIOS EEPROM was dead/corrupt and flash a new one to see if that helps.

🤣, yeah, I'm really winning the PC Chips "lottery" at this point, I've got 3 - a M912 in my second 486, the Moondog Tower, that runs great and has a real Cache believe it or not. Then there's the dead M919 that never worked, that has a DX2 in it....tempted to buy a third DX4-100 AMD CPU since that seems to be what that board came with and I've read about voltage adapters acting up on those. Then there's this hot piece of crap - M590 - which I remember I bought one on E-bay years ago and sold it to someone because I just was not a fan of it TBH.

After some testing, I'm starting to think the board may be ok, but the problem is that I don't have the VGA Graphics connector for it. I only have an external PCI card to see with. The lights on the Diagnostic card seem to be doing what they are supposed to - Reset blinks on, then clears, and IRDY blinks on and clears on the first boot-up.

The M919 seems to have a stuck Reset line, so maybe if I can get it unstuck it will work. Other option is to burn a new Flash ROM for it, but I need to figure out what options I have to do that with at this point since I don't have an EEPROM burner (at least, not yet).

I'm going to see which board I can get to boot first and then probably sell the one that does not work to whoever can replace them. Also, I'm tempted to recap the M919. What I find odd about that one is it was sold at RE-PC to me as a working board but it never worked.

Did you ever get the m919 to work?

Nope. Sold it. Also just sold the Moondog with the M912 in it. Been thinning the herd a bit. Just sold my 286 as well. Moving soon and keeping my Compaq, 486 DX4, Tandy 1k, 2 versas, and 2 NanTans.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 24337 of 27186, by LoK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DundyTheCroc wrote on 2023-05-14, 10:13:

Never seen such 5.25" FDD. What is it ?

Reply 24339 of 27186, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think it might be a custom faceplate for some OEM though, fairly sure I have JU-475 or two, and think they've just got the flat matte black faceplates. I might have a beige beige one (i.e. that almost sandstone beige, not off white greige or yellowed.)

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.