VOGONS

Reply 1520 of 27363, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
seob wrote:
Been installing my voodoo2 12mb sli into my pII-350. Finally after all those years i have the dream setup i wished i had back th […]
Show full quote

Been installing my voodoo2 12mb sli into my pII-350. Finally after all those years i have the dream setup i wished i had back then.
Making the sli cable took me 2 floppy cables. Since the taps kept breaking.

Also been installing the awe32 i also got in the same deal as i got the 2 voodoo2 cards. Got those cards in a trade with a fellow forum member who was nice enough to hook me up with the stuff i needed.

The awe32 i installed into my p133 dos gaming pc.

That seems like a nice systrem 😀

Do you have nostalgic reasons for using a PII 350?

A Voodoo II SLI benefits from a much faster CPU. A Katmai 600 is a good choice or if you really want to stay with a PII CPU you could get the PII 450.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 1521 of 27363, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:
PcBytes wrote:

Tried repairing a Model M keyboard I found next to a dumpster.

Failed though,as it didn't match the pinout and color coding from my old Microsoft Basic Keyboard 1.0A 🙁

This might help:

Replacing a Model M's cable (Part No. 82G2383) - any tips?

I already broke traces off the board. It's a 1995 71G4622 btw,Dutch layout.

Would work now if I found that earlier,but that 4 pin cable was literally cut at the connector base (wires coming from it cut) and I don't have any PS/2 keyboard that uses the same connector. Tried tracing each point and running wires from there but no dice eiher. I get the num led to light for a split second then it's dead as a rock. I gave up fixing it,and going to get a normal 90's keyboard.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 1522 of 27363, by seob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cyrix200+ wrote:
seob wrote:

Been installing my voodoo2 12mb sli into my pII-350. Finally after all those years i have the dream setup i wished i had back then.

I need to make me one of those, could you tell me what guide you used?

I just did a google search and took the picture that was most clear about it. Its easy if you don't break the taps. The difficult part is counting those tiny wires. Don't know where you live in the Netherlands or i could make one for you.

Reply 1523 of 27363, by seob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Skyscraper wrote:
That seems like a nice systrem :) […]
Show full quote
seob wrote:
Been installing my voodoo2 12mb sli into my pII-350. Finally after all those years i have the dream setup i wished i had back th […]
Show full quote

Also been installing the awe32 i also got in the same deal as i got the 2 voodoo2 cards. Got those cards in a trade with a fellow forum member who was nice enough to hook me up with the stuff i needed.

That seems like a nice systrem 😀

Do you have nostalgic reasons for using a PII 350?

A Voodoo II SLI benefits from a much faster CPU. A Katmai 600 is a good choice or if you really want to stay with a PII CPU you could get the PII 450.

No other reason then it's the most powerfull cpu i have. Still have a gap in my system line up between pII and p4.

Reply 1524 of 27363, by Blurredman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not really retro but set up a couple of scheduled Xcopy commands that run every month to copy certain information from my desktop to my 24/7 local and ftp server. It feels nice to have a backup system in place.

I guess the only retro thing about it is that the server is an early Athlon 1700 with 512mb ram and running Windows 2k. 🤣

http://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/ 😊

Reply 1525 of 27363, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Blurredman wrote:

Not really retro but set up a couple of scheduled Xcopy commands that run every month to copy certain information from my desktop to my 24/7 local and ftp server. It feels nice to have a backup system in place.

Check rsync. It was designed for this and mainly what it'll do for you is checksum that transfer. Also it's from 96, so it's kinda sorta retro.

Reply 1526 of 27363, by Blurredman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pewpewpew wrote:
Blurredman wrote:

Check rsync. It was designed for this and mainly what it'll do for you is checksum that transfer. Also it's from 96, so it's kinda sorta retro.

As it happens the Xcopy is merely to copy important data like pictures, music and all my documents ever (my life basically) to the server. They copy it to a non-ftp area part of the disc system. The computer just happens to have an ftp server running too for me to download files externally and within linux as an easy way of transfering data and cataloging things that I find handy. It copies the data through the local network, not through the FTP so I don't know if my limited experience with rsync would allow me to do that?

Besides, the only issue I have with this is the fact that it copies and replaces the file regardless as to whether it is exactly the same and unchanged. This just means I have a few command windows open for half an hour each month. I couldn't find a trigger that would accomodate this kind of request at least not on an XP installation (maybe there is on win7!?). Xcopy was merely an easy and out of the box solution to this developing process. I normally just manually copy my stuff when I feel I have made adequate changes that would be important if I was to lose the most recent copy of files. I would rather not keep these files purely on the server as this way I have two copies, and the 2nd would be relatively up to date. I would increase the scheduled time frame to 'each time I logged in' if I fould the way to merely copy items not already on the server.

Reply 1527 of 27363, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Blurredman wrote:

It copies the data through the local network, not through the FTP so I don't know if my limited experience with rsync would allow me to do that?

rsync will copy between sibling directories if you want; it doesn't care what the source and destination are, just that you state them. rsync's relationship with FTP is simply that it was designed to handle all the possible troubles of backing-up across hoary old FTP connections.

Besides, the only issue I have with this is the fact that it copies and replaces the file regardless as to whether it is exactly the same and unchanged.

"for example..." rsync doesn't do that because it would be silly. Like I said, rsync is designed for what you're doing, so you should check it out.

I'm resisting writing you an argument-by-argument HowTo here because the web has /lots/, m'kay?:)

GOOD TIP: you've got a Linux box. Install Grync and play with ti, copying to a USB stick or whatever. It's an exceptionally well done GUI, and it will also tell you what CLI rsync command it just made from your options, so it's a good teaching tool. FURTHER TIP: the XP port for Grync is utter crud. Do not install that thing. It's not usable.

Reply 1528 of 27363, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I succesfully tested my CT5330. Now I am trying to revive my IBM PS/2 Model 77. It throws back many errors. Running reference disk diagnostics now.

It turned out the initial installation of the CT5330 was not stable. After a few hours I finally got it to work. I had to scrap the IBM PS/2 Model 77 in the process: beyond repair. Very sad but buying replacement parts for IBM PS/2 Models usually means financial ruin because each model has proprietary parts. 😵

Reply 1529 of 27363, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not retro but I opened up a Core 2 Quad system I bought because the price for the whole system was lower than the going rate for the Q9550 CPU on Ebay.

With a Q9550 CPU you kind of expect a decent motherboard but the board was a cheap MSI MS-7519 P45 Neo riddled with bloated caps. I did not know that 'MSI used low grade electrolytic caps as late mid to late 2008 but nothing really surprises me when it comes to MSI. The system was still a good buy though as the 650W corsair TX power supply should be decent, the video card is a GTS 250 and a 500GB HDD + 2x2GB DDR2 memory is always useful.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 1531 of 27363, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not really retro.. but I just finished up the testing phase after repairing a Corsair 750-watt Gold power supply. It was in my friend's computer and he brought it over after we determined the thing was "dead" supposedly. Turned out, for some stupid reason.. the fan's blades were getting stuck in the grille, and you know how modern fans do that on-off-on-off-on-off to shake the blades to try and dislodge whatever is stuck in em? Well, this one was doing that with the blades stuck in the grille and for some reason it was causing the power supply it's self to physically kick off it's relay and then back on again each time the fan tried it's on-off-on-off thing, which meant it wouldn't stay on to power a system. Very odd from a factory unit.. but I solved it by putting 4 x 2mm washers around the fan inside to give it a 2mm gap between the grille and the blades, then put the cover back on and buttoned it back up. Now the fan's free, spins normally and it works. Mine to keep, friend discarded it at my house and bought a new one so I got it free.

Now tomorrow after sleep... try and get this "plastic shell" crap off of this Asus Sabertooth P67 motherboard so I can get access to the cmos coin cell.. pop that out and see if I can leave it for a few hours and get it to come to life again and have a free sandy-bridge i7 system. He left the CPU in it, I7-2600-S chip.

Reply 1532 of 27363, by Scraphoarder

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today i have been checking some old systems i never have take a look on. Thought it also be on time to check old cmos batteries and remove then. Luckily all motherboards have been stored vertical in their cases and 2 of them had some minor leakage. After betteries vere removed i cleaned with vinegar and alcohol after. A Dell 486P/25 had a external battery fully functional so no more to do there. The last machine was a stylish Italian Olivetti M300-10 tha was full of dust and doghair everywere. I disasemblied it and where possible and even opened the PSU and gave that a treat. The 6v battery was also here an external type velcroed in a safe place, but i think it gave it last breath becaus it wouldn be detected after this operation.

Here the Olivetti M300-10 motherboard fully seen. A 386sx-20 with a 385sx-20 cache controller! Yes the ceramic chip is a 385 and i dint look closer after i saw a smaller plastic 386sx-20 that was hiding under the 40MB harddrive.

Olivetti M300-10_mb.jpg
Filename
Olivetti M300-10_mb.jpg
File size
580.3 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Here with most internals in place again. Nice blue ISA slots 😊

Olivetti M300-10_int.jpg
Filename
Olivetti M300-10_int.jpg
File size
549.08 KiB
Views
File license

Covered before going back to Storage.

Olivetti M300-10_ext.jpg
Filename
Olivetti M300-10_ext.jpg
File size
441.35 KiB
Views
File license

Ciao!

Reply 1533 of 27363, by Blurredman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yesterday set up a website that is hosted on my server. Used a free domain service to get a DNS. But i'm intruiged by it. I've always wanted my own hosted website, even taking in account of the possible security risks. The DNS works nicely with the FTP hosted on the same box too.

Reply 1534 of 27363, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I completed an unboxing video of old retro PC stuff. I bought the five boxes from a man who, in the past, owned a small computer store. They were moving to a smaller house so got rid of many things. There were MANY floppies, a few parts and a couple of software boxes, some sealed (for example, PC-DOS 6.3). I had a few nice surprises too!

Making a video this long (it's 29 minutes long once edited) made me realize how much time and effort people like philscomputerlab and LGR (amongst many others here) put into their videos. I'm used to editing short films, but editing a youtube-style video was a lot harder because pacing and flow of dialogue is more important than the rest.
If you would like to watch it, here it is - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXK0r_s7RtI
Please forgive my accent, I hope you can still understand what I'm saying.

Also, comments are very welcome. It's my first video of the kind so if I can make some things better for the next ones, tell me 😀

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 1535 of 27363, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Was searching my basement for packing material, wound up finding these in a box:

IylibZWl.jpg
edpUmrUl.jpg
IELqA7zl.jpg

Also in that box were some ethernet and modem cards. Don't know if any of this stuff works...

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 1536 of 27363, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nothing except shipping some items. I am however playing around with my wife's ThinkPad W500. It runs remarkable well despite being a Core 2 Duo 2.53GHZ with only 4GB RAM. I am also using a personal hotspot (T-Mobile) on my iPhone to connect to the internet instead of using the hotel's slow WIFI. The LTE connection works really well I must say.

Reply 1537 of 27363, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Buddy out east needs a suitable IDE disk for his PS/2. The 8 gig thing he has isn't detecting properly and CF cards aren't working.
Pulled out two disks. One just over 1gb, the other 500mb. Formatted and recertified both, then threw on a copy of PC-DOS 6.1 and verified both would be bootable out of the box. Finished the afternoon by entombing them in an antistatic bag and bubblewrap and fitting it into a box. I'll send it out tomorrow probably with $100 insurance.
You ain't gonna skewer me this time, Canada Post.

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 1539 of 27363, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Playing with Waifu2X to............ upscale the 320x400 Win95 boot/shutdown screens for curious reasons 😀

Attachments

• LOGOWaifu.jpg
    Filename
    LOGOWaifu.jpg
    File size
    127.48 KiB
    Views
    File license

apsosig.png
long live PCem