VOGONS

Reply 3800 of 27405, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's an older Biostar board which I found neglected and dusty at work.

I gave it 256 KB cache, put a socket for the Dallas RTC in and installed a new RTC. It's working well. It does have VLB and I was surprised to find that I actually had a VLB graphics card (Cirrus Logic) and controller. I actually don't remember buying them 😊

The controller has the jumper settings silk screened, which is awesome. I always disable the parallel, the second serial (and the first serial if the board has PS/2, this one doesn't) and game port.

I think it does around 24 fps in 3dbench compared to around 15 or so for a 386DX-40, but this is just with BIOS defaults, so I'm sure there is more to be had. I noticed the graphics card is missing some memory chips, so it might just use 256 KB or something like that. But it works for what I want to use it for 😀

I will definitely look at disabling cache and non-turbo performance. Interesting, this one needs the turbo jumper closed for full speed 😀

BIOS still has the 500 MB limit, EZ-Drive wouldn't work, so I used Ontrack and that worked. Using it with a 32 GB CF card.

Will be using MS-DOS 7.1 installed from that bootdisk website. It's only missing the EMM386.EXE file, apart from that it has everything you need. Bonus: If you install MS-DOS 7.1 that way, the Sound Blaster driver installers and CTCU and all of that run just fine 😀

I always love doing DOS projects, everything is quite simple and straight forward.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3801 of 27405, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ahem...
http://dos.dxzeff.com/ - An obnoxious test page, you can press the folder icon at the top to get past it and see what it planned but the index isn't done yet, so;
http://dos.dxzeff.com/hayley.htm - Article on the system running the page.
http://dos.dxzeff.com/hooker.htm - Incomplete page on Hooker.
http://dos.dxzeff.com/music/ (An easter egg. This one might not work well because the connection is crap, in old browsers it falls back to another method that may be faster but won't sync).
Incomplete, very incomplete, but nonetheless it is there. Probably have to offline it again soon as I have not set anywhere permanent for it yet and it is in the way of other projects I could be getting on with, I can't really work on this one much until I get the camera going again and even then I'd rather wait until I move because a lot of things have been put away.

Of course there were videos such as making videos on a 486SX-40, and U5S System among others.

It has been clear many a time that this is my favorite era of stuff and I have probably done it to death by some point long ago. Still, no doubt this dipshit will play Doom or something on an ugly SATA SSD ridden misfit ATX cased monstrosity and it will suddenly be the best thing since sliced bread. I probably shouldn't post this but fuck it, I don't really care anymore. Phil, you're a coward, a turncoat and a worthless sellout scumbag. I'm through with the bullshit that goes on - in general, not just in regards to you, you're not that important but this shit mounts up - and I'm calling it out unashamedly from now on because I am not a cowardly piece of crap like so many others might be. I tried, I tried and I tried, but to no avail and the ship has now sailed.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 3802 of 27405, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HighTreason wrote:

It has been clear many a time that this is my favorite era of stuff and I have probably done it to death by some point long ago. Still, no doubt this dipshit will play Doom or something on an ugly SATA SSD ridden misfit ATX cased monstrosity and it will suddenly be the best thing since sliced bread. I probably shouldn't post this but fuck it, I don't really care anymore. Phil, you're a coward, a turncoat and a worthless sellout scumbag. I'm through with the bullshit that goes on - in general, not just in regards to you, you're not that important but this shit mounts up - and I'm calling it out unashamedly from now on because I am not a cowardly piece of crap like so many others might be. I tried, I tried and I tried, but to no avail and the ship has now sailed.

You are such a bully. What is your problem.

You need to accept that not everyone thinks like you has a different opinion. I am sick of you attacking me and other forum members for no reason. You make threats, everything is shit this, masturbate that.

Just do your thing, why does what I do affect you?

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3803 of 27405, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You turned my back on me, I asked for an explanation and you ignored me... You flat out snubbed me, no explanation and no acknowledgement no matter how I tried.

Perhaps I over-reacted, I can only remain civil about it for so long and I have issues with rejection, this sometimes clouds my judgement and doesn't necessarily make my actions right, but I stand with my decisions and own them regardless - so what's you excuse for being an ignorant jerk?

Sucks really, because we used to get on OK and had similar goals in all of this.

Funny, I do not recall ever making a threat outside of stating that karma might catch up with heavy-handed mods. My only threat there was that I would not let the issue lie and would continue to call it out, eventually it will either bother people enough that the admins might actually do their job in some capacity. The community will also eventually become sick of their nonsense should it continue, though they seem to have backed off - probably just as well, given I more than likely just overstepped a line, but what will be will be, I made that choice and I'll live with it.

Reply 3804 of 27405, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:

@brostenen - I'd argue that they have more than just a little more power than a 386DX 40 because everything else about the system is that much faster too, particularly if we're talking about a VLB based 486 (i.e. a real 486 😈 ).

True, if we look at late-386/early-486 machines as an isolated case. 😀 It's just the way I experience computers within the complete 286 to Pentium-III package. I am beginning to look at retro computers in a different light these days, as I am slowly completing my quest for the goals that I have set out when I began all this retro pc stuff. I am beginning to look at the stuff, like it is overlapping. Some computers can do this and that and others can do the same and more. Well... Hope you understand what I am trying to tell. 😀 As for me... No more specific stuff, it's all equally exciting stuff in their own ways.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 3805 of 27405, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ElementalChaos wrote:

I can't believe it.. I'm still kicking myself even a week after the fact...

I totally fried the hard drive on my Dell Dimension 4100 by.. plugging the Molex power connector upside down... 5V into the 12V power rail and vice versa. Once I turned it on and noticed the PCB of the drive getting EXTREMELY hot, I realized what I had done. 😵 There goes probably a dozen or two hours installing programs and drivers and setting everything up just right.

To my credit though, part of the hard drive's plastic casing was cracked at the corner where the Molex was, which made it much easier to plug it in the wrong way. And it was dark. But I still hate myself.

🤣 been there done that. In my case, the molex connector was worn at the corners and went in without much pressure. It was a standalone power supply from an external USB/IDE adapter kit that I was trying to use to do a backup of the HDD. Guess how the backup went. 😀

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 3806 of 27405, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This morning I pulled an 8BIT ISA PCB out of my HO Brio. When I booted up this evening my AHA2940 was causing the MOBO to experience "resource conflicts". Works fine with an AHA-1520 with no noticeable performance degradation.

Doom does not like DRVSPACE apparently: when exiting it freezes up the PC.

Reply 3807 of 27405, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote:

Some computers can do this and that and others can do the same and more. Well... Hope you understand what I am trying to tell. 😀 As for me... No more specific stuff, it's all equally exciting stuff in their own ways.

Yes I get you! And it's what makes the old stuff so fun. The tech was evolving at a crazy pace and while there was lots of overlap, compatibility wasn't guaranteed - even within a generation of CPU you could encounter speed issues for example. Good times.

@Phil - don't you feed that troll! Every man-tanty is another reason to ignore his "contributions".

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 3808 of 27405, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:

@Phil - don't you feed that troll! Every man-tanty is another reason to ignore his "contributions".

...And cue the double standards.

Reply 3809 of 27405, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjIVkl34Vig listened to this wonderful song while playing Ultimate Doom 95 on my Thinkpad while at work, got off work and played DnD. Gewd day.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 3810 of 27405, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:

Yes I get you! And it's what makes the old stuff so fun. The tech was evolving at a crazy pace and while there was lots of overlap, compatibility wasn't guaranteed - even within a generation of CPU you could encounter speed issues for example. Good times.

😀 Yeah... It is all crazy, especially the leap that came in the late 90's. Totally wicked. 😳

Reply 3811 of 27405, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ODwilly wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjIVkl34Vig listened to this wonderful song while playing Ultimate Doom 95 on my Thinkpad while at work, got off work and played DnD. Gewd day.

Trash metal are cool for splatter-games. 😁 (Personally I like Electric Wizard better)

Reply 3813 of 27405, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HighTreason wrote:

Are you referring to people using way newer hardware to get the really old stuff going?

I'm not a period-correct guy, but personally I prefer to stay at least somewhat period correct, but this is my own choice.
And some people simply try whatever works and even though it's not my style, I don't have any problems with other people doing stuff differently (unless it's blowing up Voodoo5 6k's with clay).

May I ask what the issue is anyway?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3814 of 27405, by FaSMaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Made some arrangements today to get a huge old PC donation from all the way in Gauteng, a box filled with 12x 286 to 486 motherboards and expansion cards, Boxed Sound Blaster Pro, Boxed Creative Voodoo 2

Offtopic: HighTreason, I dont know what with the anger, Ive seen your 486 videos and liked them, Ive watched Phils videos and like them too, its two different things, Your videos cater to those who want the Raw experience of building retro computers, Phils offers a polished experienced in small chunks for those who dont have much time.

Its all good , so I dont know why the rage?
The more people getting into the hobby the better right?

Reply 3815 of 27405, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

FasMaN:
Don't forget to add Victor Bart and Computer Chronicles to that list. 😀
Reminds me of. There is no list of "Must see" youtube channels, for newcomers to this hobby.

My list is:
Computer Chronicles.
Hightreason610.
Phils Computerlab.
VictorBart.
Shane McRetro.
Transcendental Airways.
lukemorse1.

More?

Reply 3816 of 27405, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Tetrium; It was more that I was trying to provoke a response. I tried doing it in a civil tone on several occasions and it did not work so I resorted to more heavy handed means. If there's an issue it should be sorted out, if someone does something stupid they should own it. All I have do so much as say I dislike any given graphics vendor and my posts disappear, so why should it be so easy for others to get by?

I have nothing against people using modern parts in old machines, on the proviso that people you show the system to are not being led to think it is the real experience of using such a machine. That is a misrepresentation and misinformation, but people generally have a brain and will know this so it isn't really anything of an issue, it is the ones who post OSTs recorded in DOSBox I take issue with because it isn't accurate and may mislead later generations into thinking it always sounded that way.

@FaSMaN; As above, it was more of a means to get a response. I got one - just one, still a lack of explanation or owning up to stuff so I guess my "coward" statement was not misplaced. I'm a believer of if you have a problem you work it out and I don't much appreciate being snubbed and ignored for no apparent reason. Phil and I used to get along well and interacted quite often across each other's projects, then he disappeared without explanation, wouldn't talk to me anymore and I took some level of offense to it. I'd probably have forgotten about it if I didn't have people and YouTube shoving his stuff down my throat at every turn.

To top it off, why is it that when I do something it goes widely ignored and when he does it it's always a great thing? Guess who started a VGA benchmark one week prior to Phil and was basically told to fuck off by the community - by the same community that then practically ousted me because I didn't fit into their little elitist rich kid's circle jerk? That was fun though, I got angry e-mails because I topped a few benchmarks for a while, by accident too, I had no idea that would happen and it was very funny at first. There are other occasions but it doesn't matter, what matters to me is that the community has such a resource at all, it's a good thing. I'm not so much mad at Phil as a certain subset of people who implement double standards without explanation, and unfortunately - intentionally or not - he's landed in the center of it. Believe it or not I don't have any real dislike for the guy, I do think he sucks at taking a joke and I do think he needs to grow the hell up, but we all have our flaws. Phil is certainly better than said individuals anyway, as he has made no attempt to remove my contributions from his list and hasn't really done anything outside of ignoring me for whatever reason he has. So no, I'm sick of all the crap that goes on in general. Everybody gets a free pass but me, or else the others don't have the guts to speak up, and if I turn my back for a second I've got some fool trying to shut down my YouTube channel, some other fool filing complaints to my DNS provider that go nowhere or some moderator and his crony trying to silence me because they don't agree with me and are terrified I might provide actual facts to back up my statements instead of blindly jizzing all over the page in irrational fanboyism for a piece of hardware nobody could really care less about. Hey, that was retro activity because when the channel got flagged I was away from home with only my Satellite Pro, YouTube's appeal system doesn't work very well in Windows 95 as it turns out, but I owe the existence of the channel today to that machine.

I'm done with it, I don't care if I get banned. If the people with power here are not going to do their job I'm going to air this shit in public until something happens. Going to ban me? Good, I don't care because whether it was right or not, I did what I did for the right reasons and when you silence someone else you're scared of, don't understand or don't like for whatever stupid reason you've gotten in your head I can at least know I did the right thing in that I did everything within my power to stop their worthless cyber-nonsense before it happened, I can at least sleep at night.

I am on the internet to share information and to learn and I have a real passion for what I do, especially the information part - this should flow freely without any restrictions regardless of whether they meet what you'd like in an ideal world or not. Give you a hint, the real world sucks and things usually don't go the way you want them to. That might be a foreign concept to some little keyboard warrior with his forum mod badge or his lack of knowledge outside of his desk and his favorite forums, but it's true. You can try to stop me, but I will always come back one way or another, in some form somewhere because I actually care about what I do, I'm not in it for money, I'm in it because I enjoy it and I put my heart and soul into it.

Whatever, I've got stuff to do, I've said what I had to say and that's all there is to it.

For the record, 99.9% of the people I have met here and elsewhere on the internet are awesome.

Last edited by HighTreason on 2016-06-03, 08:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3817 of 27405, by FaSMaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brostenen wrote:
FasMaN: Don't forget to add Victor Bart and Computer Chronicles to that list. :-) Reminds me of. There is no list of "Must see" […]
Show full quote

FasMaN:
Don't forget to add Victor Bart and Computer Chronicles to that list. 😀
Reminds me of. There is no list of "Must see" youtube channels, for newcomers to this hobby.

My list is:
Computer Chronicles.
Hightreason610.
Phils Computerlab.
VictorBart.
Shane McRetro.
Transcendental Airways.
lukemorse1.

More?

Thats a good list,

Lazy Game reviews (more game reviews but he does odware from time to time)
8-Bit Keys (Old music, C64 to Early SB)
The 8-Bit Guy
Ahoy (Does indepth reviews for old games)
BBISHOPPCM's World (Mostly Mac and early P1 but sometimes the old PC)
DOS Nostalgia
electricadventures (mostly 8-bit computing)
Fran Blanche (Engineering and repairs)
Gggmanlives (FPS Reviews, lots of classic shooters)
John Hancock
Oldtech81 (Electronic repairs, can be used for 286+)
RetroSwim
SiliconClassics
Terry Stewart (Amazing computer reviews)
The Obsolete Geek
TheDamoMonster
uxwbill
VectrexRoli (Not PC but highly recommended retro reviews)
vwestlife
WaybackTECH
HPZeta (shameless self promotion)

Reply 3818 of 27405, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HighTreason wrote:
@Tetrium; It was more that I was trying to provoke a response. I tried doing it in a civil tone on several occasions and it did […]
Show full quote

@Tetrium; It was more that I was trying to provoke a response. I tried doing it in a civil tone on several occasions and it did not work so I resorted to more heavy handed means. If there's an issue it should be sorted out, if someone does something stupid they should own it. All I have do so much as say I dislike any given graphics vendor and my posts disappear, so why should it be so easy for others to get by?

I have nothing against people using modern parts in old machines, on the proviso that people you show the system to are not being led to think it is the real experience of using such a machine. That is a misrepresentation and misinformation, but people generally have a brain and will know this so it isn't really anything of an issue, it is the ones who post OSTs recorded in DOSBox I take issue with because it isn't accurate and may mislead later generations into thinking it always sounded that way.

@FaSMaN; As above, it was more of a means to get a response. I got one - just one, still a lack of explanation or owning up to stuff so I guess my "coward" statement was not misplaced. I'm a believer of if you have a problem you work it out and I don't much appreciate being snubbed and ignored for no apparent reason. Phil and I used to get along well and interacted quite often across each other's projects, then he disappeared without explanation, wouldn't talk to me anymore and I took some level of offense to it. I'd probably have forgotten about it if I didn't have people and YouTube shoving his stuff down my throat at every turn.

To top it off, why is it that when I do something it goes widely ignored and when he does it it's always a great thing? Guess who started a VGA benchmark one week prior to Phil and was basically told to fuck off by the community - by the same community that then practically ousted me because I didn't fit into their little elitist rich kid's circle jerk? That was fun though, I got angry e-mails because I topped a few benchmarks for a while, by accident too, I had no idea that would happen and it was very funny at first. There are other occasions but it doesn't matter, what matters to me is that the community has such a resource at all, it's a good thing. I'm not so much mad at Phil as a certain subset of people who implement double standards without explanation, and unfortunately - intentionally or not - he's landed in the center of it. Believe it or not I don't have any real dislike for the guy, I do think he sucks at taking a joke and I do think he needs to grow the hell up, but we all have our flaws. Phil is certainly better than said individuals anyway, as he has made no attempt to remove my contributions from his list and hasn't really done anything outside of ignoring me for whatever reason he has. So no, I'm sick of all the crap that goes on in general. Everybody gets a free pass but me, or else the others don't have the guts to speak up, and if I turn my back for a second I've got some fool trying to shut down my YouTube channel, some other fool filing complaints to my DNS provider that go nowhere or some moderator and his crony trying to silence me because they don't agree with me and are terrified I might provide actual facts to back up my statements instead of blindly jizzing all over the page in irrational fanboyism for a piece of hardware nobody could really care less about. Hey, that was retro activity because when the channel got flagged I was away from home with only my Satellite Pro, YouTube's appeal system doesn't work very well in Windows 95 as it turns out, but I owe the existence of the channel today to that machine.

I'm done with it, I don't care if I get banned. If the people with power here are not going to do their job I'm going to air this shit in public until something happens. Going to ban me? Good, I don't care because whether it was right or not, I did what I did for the right reasons and when you silence someone else you're scared of, don't understand or don't like for whatever stupid reason you've gotten in your head I can at least know I did the right thing in that I did everything within my power to stop their worthless cyber-nonsense before it happened, I can at least sleep at night.

I am on the internet to share information and to learn and I have a real passion for what I do, especially the information part - this should flow freely without any restrictions regardless of whether they meet what you'd like in an ideal world or not. Give you a hint, the real world sucks and things usually don't go the way you want them to. That might be a foreign concept to some little keyboard warrior with his forum mod badge or his lack of knowledge outside of his desk and his favorite forums, but it's true. You can try to stop me, but I will always come back one way or another, in some form somewhere because I actually care about what I do, I'm not in it for money, I'm in it because I enjoy it and I put my heart and soul into it.

Whatever, I've got stuff to do, I've said what I had to say and that's all there is to it.

For the record, 99.9% of the people I have met here and elsewhere on the internet are awesome.

For me. I would really like to meet you and Phil in person. Just to share a crate of beer with you guys.
The shame is, that there are no real "Vogons retro get-to-gether event" at all.
I like all, and yes, I too have been ignored here. I guess it is just a fact, that some are here more than
others, and sometimes (not allways) a comment will get ignored because people have not read it at all.

Me... I am here too often. I just have the time, and really don't understand how people can have
such a boatload of energy. Working like 40 hours a week plus making videos for youtube and doing a lot
of benchmarks for Vogons.

Reply 3819 of 27405, by AnacreonZA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Another good YT suggestion: GadgetUK164. He gets deep into actual physical hardware repairs and you've got to love that northerner (I think?) accent.