VOGONS

Reply 4620 of 27362, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice find. It's PC Chips, so probably check the caps before putting in too much run time. Recap as necessary (or just for good measure) and don't stress the board too much.

It's a good combo to have around from a historical perspective as PC Chips was so notorious for shoddy quality and cheesy relabeling of chipsets.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 4621 of 27362, by orinoko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok so this is actually over two days, but whatever.

Cleaned up a recently purchased second hand Apple Keyboard A1048. The thing was so dirty, I didn't even try it at first. It sat there for a couple of weeks before I got bored enough to do the clean.

Before:
uzHdb9Kl.jpg

MrgT6TNl.jpg

During:
eXzQrlWl.jpg

9Os6vNIl.jpg

After:
eiXqI97l.jpg

yZOJmChl.jpg

Sorry about the huge number of images... I just had to share this many-hour-long journey with someone that appreciates this kind of thing!

Reply 4622 of 27362, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice work!

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 4623 of 27362, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks brand new again. I'm not into Apple hardware, but I have always liked the look of those keyboards!

orinoko wrote:
Ok so this is actually over two days, but whatever. […]
Show full quote

Ok so this is actually over two days, but whatever.

Cleaned up a recently purchased second hand Apple Keyboard A1048. The thing was so dirty, I didn't even try it at first. It sat there for a couple of weeks before I got bored enough to do the clean.

<snip>
Sorry about the huge number of images... I just had to share this many-hour-long journey with someone that appreciates this kind of thing!

1982 to 2001

Reply 4625 of 27362, by TechNoirMK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got an AcerPower/M Ultima PC along with an Acer 6311 K9R/RU keyboard for free. Now for the question - how the heck do I open this case up?
It seems to be somehow screwed inside the front panel, so it's impossible for now without getting thin pliers or just breaking it, which I don't want to do.

http://imgur.com/a/DGJ2D

Last edited by TechNoirMK on 2016-10-19, 15:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4626 of 27362, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If I had to guess, you are going to have to pull off the front bezel to get to the screws securing both sides and possibly the top. After that, the top/left/right piece can be pulled off as one from the front.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 4627 of 27362, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not computer related.....
My children are visiting for the holliday week, and I helped them do these two.
The one with 3 "cat" eyes are my daughters work, and the screaming one are my son's design.
He is only 5 years old, so I transferred his design and helped by cutting.
Really fun to do these kind of things. Makes me happy that they are happy.

Attachments

• PumpkinKing-01.jpg
    Filename
    PumpkinKing-01.jpg
    File size
    126.71 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    My son's pumpkin head
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • PumpkinKing-02.jpg
    Filename
    PumpkinKing-02.jpg
    File size
    125.69 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    My daughter's pumpkin head
    File license

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 4628 of 27362, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I thought Jack-o-lanterns were a North American thing! Word to the wise, save the seeds and roast them with a pinch of salt!

Reply 4629 of 27362, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote:

I thought Jack-o-lanterns were a North American thing! Word to the wise, save the seeds and roast them with a pinch of salt!

The american halloween are a thing here too. The real Danish "halloween" is the day after the American.
We are even more crazy, as we hand out x-mas presents the 24'th of december in the evening.
Yeah....
"Fastelavn" (Carne Val in other countries) are the one that traditionally were the party were children were dressing in costumes.
It is still being held. Basically speaking, the children have two costume parties a year now.
And they still break the barrel, with candy. 200/250 years ago, people stuck a cat inside, because people thought they were evil.
Now they are only eating the candy hidden inside, instead of chasing a cat stuck inside, in order to kill it with big sticks.

Things are better now.... Children get two party's and cats are not killed for fun anymore.... Win-win.

EDIT:
I was just told, that the thing about killing a cat. Was to keep the black death from entering the town.

Last edited by brostenen on 2016-10-19, 16:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4630 of 27362, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Christmas evening presents are not unusual. It's still a thing in a lot of Franco-Canadian families along with tourtiere after Christmas mass. And sugar pie (tarte au sucre). And sucre à la crème.

Anyway, I was more surprised with pumpkin (squash in general, really) being common in Europe.

Reply 4631 of 27362, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote:

Christmas evening presents are not unusual. It's still a thing in a lot of Franco-Canadian families along with tourtiere after Christmas mass. And sugar pie (tarte au sucre). And sucre à la crème.

Anyway, I was more surprised with pumpkin (squash in general, really) being common in Europe.

Well.... Most people attend mass too. Most. Contrary to the rest of the year, were only 2 to 4 % of all Danes attend any mass.
That excluded the basic things like funerals, baptism, wedding and so on.

Reply 4632 of 27362, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
gdjacobs wrote:

Presents on Christmas eave is not unusual here in the US either, but the house hold tend to open the bulk of the gifts on Christmas morning.

As for chasing a cat around with sticks, I rather do that on Halloween. I hate cats.

Reply 4633 of 27362, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:

As for chasing a cat around with sticks, I rather do that on Halloween. I hate cats.

Nice. I dislike dogs but you don't see me chasing them around with sticks.

Reply 4634 of 27362, by mongaccio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
krivulak wrote:

Few days ago I scored free Socket 7 board, so finally today I got the time to test it.
I haven't heard about ST X86 company before.

Free is always nice! I'm glad it's working fine.

Aaahh ST microelectronics. It's currently an half Italian half French company that produces transistors and IC's. Back in the old days made also microprocessors ,like yours and the "It's ST! 486" widely used in industrial controller boards (at least here in Italy.)

Today i did a little tune up and troubleshooting for this P-2 400.

p2400.jpg
Filename
p2400.jpg
File size
236.66 KiB
Views
File license

It turned itself off randomly during operation, and refused to restart until unplugged from AC.
Updated BIOS, disabled acpi,checked bios config, no dice.Changed PSU, no more problems. Seems that the old power supply is failing.
I also added a fan to the Voodoo Banshee, since i touched the small heat sink and it was really hot, too hot for my tastes! I had this cheap and small chinese fan and it fits perfectly!

banshee.jpg
Filename
banshee.jpg
File size
209.86 KiB
Views
File license

I had to sacrifice one pci slot space, since it's a bit.. thick. As you can see i'm putting that 100ohm resistor to lower the voltage and lowering the fan RPM. It's way too big for this purpose, but i have heaps of them.
Now it's Cool and Quiet! And also stable!. Tested a good hour with Mechcommander 😀 .

Reply 4635 of 27362, by Api

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mongaccio wrote:

I had this cheap and small chinese fan and it fits perfectly!

I bought an expensive 60mm Austrian fan for my Radeon 9600XT. 😀

IntelSE440BX-2 256MB PII-300 Rage128 Voodoo2 SLI Vortex2 SB32 Win98SE
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe 1GB Athlon XP2400+/XP3000+ Radeon 9600XT
FIC PT-2000 P120 Matrox Millennium 2MB Orchid Righteous 3d

Reply 4636 of 27362, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

After I recieved my SCSI harddrive. I have begun building the last machine for my collection/personal museum.
This build is aimed at authentic era speed. Plus minus some. More or less a machine, as you would buy back in and around 1987/88.
This build is in other words, a build slightly faster than a standard 286 (not those super fast 286's)

I have used a motherboard with a 386sx33 and a 387 math co-processor.
I have installed 4 megabyte of 60ns Ram (quite shure it's not 70ns).
40 megabyte Conner SCSI harddrive, wich came from an old Macintosh LC.
An Plextor CD-RW SCSI drive.
An Adaptech 1542c SCSI controller with build in Floppy controller.
A-Open 300watt low noise ATX psu (with -5volt) and an ATX to AT converter cable.

At this moment it is running with a Trident 9000c ISA card, because I am waiting for a CL-5424 1mb ISA card.
For sound, I am thinking of installing something that has SB-Pro standard and not SB16 (seem's more appropriate)

It is by far fast. It is actually slow for a 386 system. Though I like it as it is right now.
Slow, and makes the right noises. Responds like PC's used to respond back then.
Everything brings back memories, and I really look forward to game some Dynablaster, Stunts, Stuncar Racer
and other nice titles on this machine. For the record. The SCSI drive runs cold and not that loud.
So... Low capacity, slow, cold. Just what I want from a SCSI harddrive, for this project. 😜

Attachments

• 386sx-01.jpg
    Filename
    386sx-01.jpg
    File size
    177.07 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    System test/installation setup. Still missing parts.
    File license
  • 386sx-02.jpg
    Filename
    386sx-02.jpg
    File size
    139.1 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    All drives connected. Looking so 80's.
    File license
  • 386sx-03.jpg
    Filename
    386sx-03.jpg
    File size
    159.92 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    SCSI up and running... :-P
    Note that no drives are reported by the summary screen in the top.
    File license
  • 386sx-04.jpg
    Filename
    386sx-04.jpg
    File size
    175.46 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Slooow Harddrive.... Just like back in the days. :-D
    File license

Reply 4637 of 27362, by jarreboum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Turns out my dead clicky springy IBM keyboard wasn't so dead after all! After an extensive repainting of most of the membrane tracks, every contact were finally working. I took some time to clean all the keys and mount everything back, and while all keys are working ( I'm typing with it right now), some keys seem to have a faulty spring as they activate at the gentlest touch, not a normal keypress. Ugh, it means I'll have to open it again to change them. Removing keys and reseating them is only fun the first time, after the fourth time you just want to be done with it.

Reply 4638 of 27362, by orinoko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jarreboum wrote:

Turns out my dead clicky springy IBM keyboard wasn't so dead after all! After an extensive repainting of most of the membrane tracks, every contact were finally working. I took some time to clean all the keys and mount everything back, and while all keys are working ( I'm typing with it right now), some keys seem to have a faulty spring as they activate at the gentlest touch, not a normal keypress. Ugh, it means I'll have to open it again to change them. Removing keys and reseating them is only fun the first time, after the fourth time you just want to be done with it.

Please tell me your repaired a Model M2!! I tried to redraw the membrane traces using a liquid silver conductive pen but the resistance looked way too high and putting it all back together just to test it is a pain...

Reply 4639 of 27362, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brostenen wrote:

Well.... Most people attend mass too. Most. Contrary to the rest of the year, were only 2 to 4 % of all Danes attend any mass.
That excluded the basic things like funerals, baptism, wedding and so on.

Perhaps, but I think the coma inducing amount of sugar is pretty unique.