VOGONS

Reply 12940 of 27364, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried to set up a DTC7287 in my 286. The system hangs after the floppy seek, I think I need to disable the BIOS.
Also finally got my VGA card in. Trident TVGA8900C with 1MB is a bit overkill for a 286, I think, even at 20MHz.

Looking for a replacement LED speed display for my case. Any ideas?

Reply 12941 of 27364, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Took apart an external modem to use it as a case for my Yamaha DB50XG and CHiLL board.

0ksuTbRl.jpg

BQ6sGcAl.jpg

Did a bit of trimming in the rear and on top where the MIDI port is at so that the cable can be connected. Took 15 or so minutes as I used wire cutters, screwdriver, and hammer to do the trimming and make a slit for the top of the MIDI port so the top of the case can get screwed onto the bottom.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 12942 of 27364, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjwil1991 wrote:

Took apart an external modem to use it as a case for my Yamaha DB50XG and CHiLL board.

That came out real well. Well done.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 12943 of 27364, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I love it! Now, for part 2, get some blinky lights for the front. I'd wager you can setup something via optocoupler on the midi line to get something to blink.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 12944 of 27364, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

NIIIIIICE IDEA! Made me think of using a US Robotics 56k modem case for a rPi3.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 12945 of 27364, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I thought of making an external LCD to display which instrument is used on specific channels, use LEDs for the sound frequency from the audio portion, have a front power button to control the power to the board to be on and off, and connect a power LED on the side as well. Love the ideas.

Reply 12946 of 27364, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cured an old 3Gb HDD with MHDD software (DOS version, boot bisk). It had lots of bad blocks, would not function properly because of this, stuck up occasionally, etc. I ran Erase procedure, fdisked and formatted it afterwards. All BBs are gone. Works fine so far.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 12947 of 27364, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

After buying what I thought were missing parts, figured out I already had everything I needed for this little baby. So broke out the soldering iron and got to work:

full.jpg

Sounds great, slightly deeper than my SnarkBarker SB1.0 replica. Now to find that backplate I had somewhere and drill some holes in it...

Reply 12948 of 27364, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Received a 32GB SD card to properly test out the SD adapter for my Dreamcast. I'd previously tried a 32GB microSD card via an adapter and it worked for a while then would constantly fail to read. Those SD adapters for the Dreamcast really do not like microSD cards!

The 32GB card I received seems to work well enough, running DreamShell and running games from ISO Loader. Compatibility via this method is poor, out of 9 games I tested, only 1 ran flawlessly, with another 3 playable with slight issues - mostly FMV playback lag, due to the serial port. The rest were either unplayable due to the Serial port slowness or just plain wouldn't boot. Games with CDDA music are also an issue via this method, with no music present.

Also today, an old but not so retro hardware project - got given a broken laptop, nothing spectacular - HP G56, AMD Athlon II P320 Dual Core, 3GB RAM. Problem appeared to be a failing screen (flickering), but upon closer inspection is actually just a faulty connector inside. Got it working for now by pressing down hard on the plastic near where the connector is located inside, until the screen clears. This seems to keep the screen working properly for some time until the connector eventually loosens again. I'm going to have to open this laptop up at some point and attempt to fix it properly, but the temporary fix will do for now. 🤣

Additionally today, installed a new PSU in 1 of my systems and spotted a strange dangling cable inside and now I finally figured out why the front case power LED hasn't been working for over 1 year - the wire had simply detached from the connector on the motherboard. I thought the LED had failed and was planning to replace it, but nope such an obvious oversight and simple fix thankfully - just added a new connector to the wire.

Reply 12949 of 27364, by bandicoot67

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Im not sure where to put this? ..i don't think it warrants starting a new thread about it and technically, i suppose it is a "retro activity", i goofed around with today so...a question for you guys then, do you think it possible this old USB card is fixable? My soldering skills are nowhere near jedi level, though i could get lucky and jag it. I emailed MacGyver and he suggested sourcing a fire extinguisher then cutting slim strips of ali flash tac, which ive got, and carefully stick the strips on but, surely that can't work would it?!? 😕

Thing is, i can plug it in with the win 98SE install and "one" of the USB ports works properly. Im happy for the lone USB port to work, this is my second last oldest USB card! 😐

Attachments

• USB2.jpg
    Filename
    USB2.jpg
    File size
    213.34 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • USB1.jpg
    Filename
    USB1.jpg
    File size
    178.93 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 12951 of 27364, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've had great luck taking the bracket off and letting it soak in a tub of white vinegar overnight. It saved a 486 motherboard whose battery completely exploded.

Reply 12952 of 27364, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bandicoot67 wrote:

Im not sure where to put this? ..i don't think it warrants starting a new thread about it and technically, i suppose it is a "retro activity", i goofed around with today so...a question for you guys then, do you think it possible this old USB card is fixable? My soldering skills are nowhere near jedi level, though i could get lucky and jag it. I emailed MacGyver and he suggested sourcing a fire extinguisher then cutting slim strips of ali flash tac, which ive got, and carefully stick the strips on but, surely that can't work would it?!? 😕

Thing is, i can plug it in with the win 98SE install and "one" of the USB ports works properly. Im happy for the lone USB port to work, this is my second last oldest USB card! 😐

You can buy a trace pencil and see if that will give sufficient contact.

Reply 12953 of 27364, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dionb wrote:
After buying what I thought were missing parts, figured out I already had everything I needed for this little baby. So broke out […]
Show full quote

After buying what I thought were missing parts, figured out I already had everything I needed for this little baby. So broke out the soldering iron and got to work:

full.jpg

Sounds great, slightly deeper than my SnarkBarker SB1.0 replica. Now to find that backplate I had somewhere and drill some holes in it...

Welcome to the TubeTime Adlib Club 😀

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 12954 of 27364, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finally got the darn 4.3GB Western Digital, and a 10GB Western Digital that I had in the system which never got recognized automatically with the jumper set to master, cable select, or slave (requires another HDD to get it detected or other media, such as a ZIP drive) by removing the jumpers to set the HDDs in single drive mode. I also got Civilization 1 to install from the 5.25" diskettes after figuring out the floppy cable for the tape drive was acting up and removed said cable to get the drive to work once again.

Reply 12955 of 27364, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My Acumos AVGA 2 died so I replaced it with...

zFMbXOal.jpg

...another AVGA 2. It was by far the best price : performance ratio card on eBay for sensible money (£35). This one looks slightly different in that it has two socketed memory chips and two soldered chips; the old one was all soldered. Maybe this one has been upgraded to 512kb.

Anyway this means by 386SX machine is back from the dead and ready for slow gaming!

M7bk7V5l.jpg

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 12956 of 27364, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Almoststew1990 wrote:
My Acumos AVGA 2 died so I replaced it with... […]
Show full quote

My Acumos AVGA 2 died so I replaced it with...

zFMbXOal.jpg

...another AVGA 2. It was by far the best price : performance ratio card on eBay for sensible money (£35). This one looks slightly different in that it has two socketed memory chips and two soldered chips; the old one was all soldered. Maybe this one has been upgraded to 512kb.

Anyway this means by 386SX machine is back from the dead and ready for slow gaming!

M7bk7V5l.jpg

Ha, nice.. I'll be replacing my SX25's TVGA9000B with a CL-GD5402 (AVGA2) tomorrow myself. Interesting coincidence.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 12957 of 27364, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:

[...]

Welcome to the TubeTime Adlib Club 😀

Nice club - with DIY fake unicorns 😉

This evening spent some time on another project, got my Lo-tech ISA XT CF (odd name for something with 40p IDE connector, not CF...) up and running. Not even sure I'm going to use it in my XT, but if its MFM drive dies or just irritates me enough with noise & small size, I have an alternative at hand.

Reply 12958 of 27364, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Spent about an hour picking up an sorting computer screws off the floor because I forgot to seal the container lid and knocked it off the chair while reaching for something.

Reply 12959 of 27364, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caluser2000 wrote:

Spent about an hour picking up an sorting computer screws off the floor because I forgot to seal the container lid and knocked it off the chair while reaching for something.

This is terrible. I hope you managed to pick them all. I wouldn’t sleep if I had left one screw on the floor just waiting to pinch my foot... (and I tend to walk barefoot at home).

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!