VOGONS

Reply 13940 of 27171, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjwil1991 wrote on 2020-01-12, 04:30:

I wonder if it's possible to do IRC from a terminal?

Yes. Just log into a host system an run what ever irc client is on there. You can also do this via serial port on an old system connected to newer system. Run terminal emulator program on the old system to log in to the host system. The link is old but gives you an idea of what can be done. http://www.sorgonet.com/8086/8088_linux_dumb_terminal/

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 13941 of 27171, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My Windows 98 machine runs on a 32GB SD card which is always getting full. Due to the 128GB limit I see no point in putting something bigger in there for all of my games, because it still wouldn't be enough.

So I put OpenWRT on my router (TP-Link Archer C2700, really awesome device with two USB 3.0 ports) and set up a Samba share to an external 2TB USB drive.
After that, I mapped that drive as a network share. Amazingly, this works out of the box with Windows 98 and Windows 10 as long as I don't put in a password and set it up as a public share.

I did not expect this to be that easy. 2 terabytes on Windows 98 should last for a while. I can put all of my ISOs on there and mount them with Daemon Tools, saving as much space as possible.

Attachments

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 13942 of 27171, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think I finished my Swan XT10 (8088 Turbo 10MHz).. got the floppy controller, Adlib, ATI VGA Wonder 16, and XT-IDE all installed and working. 😁

UHH5gWMh.jpg

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 13943 of 27171, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

YZ4CVnem.jpg

Fixed this floppy drive that wouldn't read disks by cleaning the head with a Q-Tip + isopropyl alcohol.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 13944 of 27171, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tested a spare Dell branded 486 LPX motherboard. I got it cheap last year but never managed to get it working and didn't have time to investigate further.

Now that I have a spare 486DX CPU laying about, I dug out the board once again and tested it out. Same problem, a bunch of beeps and no POST.

I found the specs of the board online and what Dell system it originally came out of (a 486P) and thus finally figured out the problem - it wants FPM Parity SIMMs and I only have non-parity FPM & EDO SIMMs. So I've ordered some RAM from eBay and hopefully once that arrives I can test the board out and see how it compares to my other 486 board.

Reply 13945 of 27171, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PTherapist wrote on 2020-01-12, 16:51:

Tested a spare Dell branded 486 LPX motherboard. I got it cheap last year but never managed to get it working and didn't have time to investigate further.

Now that I have a spare 486DX CPU laying about, I dug out the board once again and tested it out. Same problem, a bunch of beeps and no POST.

I found the specs of the board online and what Dell system it originally came out of (a 486P) and thus finally figured out the problem - it wants FPM Parity SIMMs and I only have non-parity FPM & EDO SIMMs. So I've ordered some RAM from eBay and hopefully once that arrives I can test the board out and see how it compares to my other 486 board.

I’m curious, always want to learn something “new”. Since I wasn’t much into the hardware things (my dad was) but more into software things, I have to ask... what are the differences between these two types of RAM and why it requires the former?

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 13946 of 27171, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

RAM with parity has 9 bits per byte. This way, it can detect single bit errors in RAM. Parity was used in the early days when RAM chips were not that reliable and also in computers aimed at professionals.

Reply 13947 of 27171, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hacked together a Y/C to S-Video (SVHS) cable from two old cables to add to my Commodore 64 AV cable so I can hook it up to my Dell 2001FP. Works just fine 😀 I added a 330 ohm resistor to the Chroma channel to make it a bit more compliant with the S-Video 'standard'. I did not do any comparisons with/without this resistor.

Cqr36rhl.jpg

The Pi1541 hat arrived, I quickly soldered it together and wanted to use it, but my Raspberry Pi would just not boot after following the software instructions. I spent half an hour checking stuff, until I looked at the Pi itself. I was convinced I had a Raspberry Pi 3, but it's a 2B. *sigh* I feel a bit dumb. Now awaiting the arrival of a Raspberry Pi 3B.

Edited: typos, spelling mistakes

Last edited by Cyrix200+ on 2020-01-12, 20:50. Edited 1 time in total.

1982 to 2001

Reply 13948 of 27171, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote on 2020-01-12, 20:06:
Hacked together a Y/C to S-Video (SVHS) cable from two old cables to add to my Commodore 64 AV cable so I can hook it up to my D […]
Show full quote

Hacked together a Y/C to S-Video (SVHS) cable from two old cables to add to my Commodore 64 AV cable so I can hook it up to my Dell 2001FP. Works just fine 😀 I added a 330 ohm resistor to the Chroma channel to make it a bit more compliant with the S-Video 'standard'. I did not do any comparisons with/without this resistor.

Cqr36rhl.jpg

The Pi1541 hat had arrives, I quickly soldered together and wanted to use it, but my Raspberry Pi would just not boot when following the software instructions. I spent half an hour checking stuff, until I looked at the Pi itself. I was convinced I had a Raspberry Pi 3, but it's a 2B. *sigh* I feel a bit dumb. Now awaiting the arrival of a Raspberry Pi 3B.

Oh damn! Btw I’ve been thinking about getting a Rock64 or LattePanda. I find myself very limited by what the rPi can offer.

derSammler wrote on 2020-01-12, 17:08:

RAM with parity has 9 bits per byte. This way, it can detect single bit errors in RAM. Parity was used in the early days when RAM chips were not that reliable and also in computers aimed at professionals.

Thanks!!

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 13949 of 27171, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

While digging thru my old cd disk collections looking for older motherboard driver cd's found my original FreeBSD v1.1 CD given me by sir Rod Grimes back in about 1996. Rod and a few others were the developers of FreeBSD and I got to work nights and weekends for him building P.Pro rack servers running FreeBSD that were shipped to various Universities. Am going to make an ISO and upload to Archive.org.

added: upped to Archive.org: https://archive.org/details/freebsd1.1june1994walnutcreek

Attachments

Last edited by Horun on 2020-01-13, 04:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 13950 of 27171, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
oeuvre wrote on 2020-01-12, 14:22:
https://i.imgur.com/YZ4CVnem.jpg […]
Show full quote

YZ4CVnem.jpg

Fixed this floppy drive that wouldn't read disks by cleaning the head with a Q-Tip + isopropyl alcohol.

Nice system ! have you looked for a decent beige KB to match your nice Dell tower ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 13951 of 27171, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bjwil1991 wrote on 2020-01-12, 04:30:

I wonder if it's possible to do IRC from a terminal?

Yeah it is. Depending on your OS's age try something like irssi (newer) or ircii (older). I use irssi from a terminal window.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 13952 of 27171, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote on 2020-01-12, 20:06:
Hacked together a Y/C to S-Video (SVHS) cable from two old cables to add to my Commodore 64 AV cable so I can hook it up to my D […]
Show full quote

Cqr36rhl.jpg

That's a good idea. I might do something similar myself, I have a spare DIN cable that I can splice into S-Video & Audio outputs. I won't be adding the resistor though, as I'm going to get a LumaFix64 for my C64 instead.

Reply 13953 of 27171, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I forgot to ask to Cyrix200+, why did he ordered a rPi 3B instead of a rPi 4? Much better than getting an outdated version.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 13954 of 27171, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bfcastello wrote on 2020-01-13, 13:23:

I forgot to ask to Cyrix200+, why did he ordered a rPi 3B instead of a rPi 4? Much better than getting an outdated version.

Pi1541 is not compatible with the Raspberry Pi 4, only with 3(B).

PTherapist wrote on 2020-01-13, 13:11:

<snip>

That's a good idea. I might do something similar myself, I have a spare DIN cable that I can splice into S-Video & Audio outputs. I won't be adding the resistor though, as I'm going to get a LumaFix64 for my C64 instead.

Yes, LumaFix64 also fixes this problem (and probably better since you can tweak the resistor value).

1982 to 2001

Reply 13955 of 27171, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Horun wrote on 2020-01-13, 04:19:
oeuvre wrote on 2020-01-12, 14:22:
https://i.imgur.com/YZ4CVnem.jpg […]
Show full quote

YZ4CVnem.jpg

Nice system ! have you looked for a decent beige KB to match your nice Dell tower ?

Not particularly... fine with this generic HP one as it is comfortable and does the job.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 13956 of 27171, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That reminds me I have a mechanical Dell keyboard that came with an Optiple GX110 I never got around to clean and retrobright.. It weighs a ton and has a very large footprint. It's also very yellow.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 13957 of 27171, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Went ahead and made the video cable for my Commodore 64 -

BhXL7zjl.jpg

Now converts from 8-pin DIN to outputs for S-Video, Composite & Audio (L+R wired together for Dual Mono).

Xd283bDh.jpg

Just a quick rough job. Got my multimeter out to find out which wires went to which pin on the plug and then used the C64 video pinout to match them up. Almost made a mistake and wired it up backwards, but quickly discovered the error before I'd gotten too far.

I was going to buy a pre-made cable from eBay further down the line, so it's saved me about £14 for the time being. I may still do that in the future, but for now I have S-Video output at last. Even without the LumaFix64 the colours look great on my Plasma TV and all text & graphics are nice and sharp. The LumaFix64 will fix the banding when I get one in a couple of months time, but for now it is working & looking great!

Reply 13958 of 27171, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PTherapist wrote on 2020-01-13, 16:50:
Went ahead and made the video cable for my Commodore 64 - […]
Show full quote

Went ahead and made the video cable for my Commodore 64 -

<snip>

Now converts from 8-pin DIN to outputs for S-Video, Composite & Audio (L+R wired together for Dual Mono).

<snip>

Just a quick rough job. Got my multimeter out to find out which wires went to which pin on the plug and then used the C64 video pinout to match them up. Almost made a mistake and wired it up backwards, but quickly discovered the error before I'd gotten too far.

I was going to buy a pre-made cable from eBay further down the line, so it's saved me about £14 for the time being. I may still do that in the future, but for now I have S-Video output at last. Even without the LumaFix64 the colours look great on my Plasma TV and all text & graphics are nice and sharp. The LumaFix64 will fix the banding when I get one in a couple of months time, but for now it is working & looking great!

Looks good! I bought my cable on eBay as soon as I got my C64, but I didn't do my homework well and ordered a Y/C and dual mono audio. I will probably mod it to add composite (if needed) and to ground the audio in.

I love this solution also: https://commodore4ever.net/products/a-v-breakout

1982 to 2001

Reply 13959 of 27171, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

aX1vfznBQv7hKC1zDgZ6e1J0Y7lc89yCwh3_lJFyJ8t-Xd2ntXY_XVpoc9_q3bMiSyyU4Sn6-Dn-ZRaC_fbhLC1Km-M4HY8v51HU.png

Made this one 2 years ago for my C64. Has a 330Ohm resistor and audio noise reduction.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser