VOGONS

Reply 14040 of 27364, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The 4/75cx has the color TFT displays, correct?

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 14042 of 27364, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Started working on a website to display my retro collections and projects..

https://sites.google.com/view/retronautics

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 14043 of 27364, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote on 2020-01-22, 18:02:

ME is very stable if you set it up on standard hardware and turn off the system restore feature. I have it installed on two of my retro systems and these are the only ones that never had a blue screen so far. 😀 ME mainly got bad press back then because early WDM drivers (which ME requires - unlike 98) were mostly crappy when ME was released.

I've always found it a bit of a lottery with regards to ME. On some systems it worked great, whilst on others it was an unstable mess. It's good for those rare retro builds that struggle with Windows 98 SE and saves the headache of having to apply the various patches & driver upgrades required to get 98SE working on those.

Reply 14044 of 27364, by Captain Catnip

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

I'm gathering old hardware from coworkers that are about to throw them out. I missed out on tons of stuff, but some things I can still rescue. Got a bunch of adapter cards, some graphics cards and a motherload of RAM (SIMM, DIMM and older). Still need to take inventory but time is scarce lately.

Reply 14045 of 27364, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2020-01-23, 06:14:

I like the name! “retronautics”

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 14046 of 27364, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally repaired a motherboard I got more than three years ago: Re: Looking for an ID/manual/jumpers and more info on this 386 AMD 40MHz board

1982 to 2001

Reply 14047 of 27364, by bearking

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2020-01-23, 06:14:

Hey, nice and clean design for a retro hw site. I like the name also...

Reply 14048 of 27364, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MrSmiley381 wrote on 2020-01-23, 01:05:

My wife walked in and asked, "Oh, what hentai game music is this?" Right platform, wrong genre 😜

Did you know this cultural exposure of hers before you married?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 14049 of 27364, by MrSmiley381

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote on 2020-01-23, 18:56:
MrSmiley381 wrote on 2020-01-23, 01:05:

My wife walked in and asked, "Oh, what hentai game music is this?" Right platform, wrong genre 😜

Did you know this cultural exposure of hers before you married?

That's why I married her 😁 The opening theme of Bible Black sounds great on the FB-01, by the way.

I spend my days fighting with clunky software so I can afford to spend my evenings fighting with clunky hardware.

Reply 14050 of 27364, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MrSmiley381 wrote on 2020-01-23, 19:09:

That's why I married her 😁 The opening theme of Bible Black sounds great on the FB-01, by the way.

Does anyone chip tune for the Japanese AV market?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 14051 of 27364, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've been slowly adding to my retro parts and PCs collection page. Motherboards and CPUs done, got started on the graphics cards. Open to all suggestions and criticism, though be reminded that Google Sites is not the most flexible site building tool in the world 🙁

Reply 14052 of 27364, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote on 2020-01-23, 21:38:

I've been slowly adding to my retro parts and PCs collection page. Motherboards and CPUs done, got started on the graphics cards. Open to all suggestions and criticism, though be reminded that Google Sites is not the most flexible site building tool in the world 🙁

Can you swap the picture and headline on the various hardware groups? It confuses a bit, until one realise the idea behind how it is set up.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 14053 of 27364, by mastergamma12

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Installed Me on my Dell Dimension 8200 after my 2 128mb rdram sticks came to supplement my other 2 so 512mb pc800 in total.

Got a 2ghz Northwood P4 and a Gladiac Ultra and a SB Live with VXD drivers for Dos Audio.

System runs rather stable so far.

NNH9pIh.png

The Tuala-Bus (My 9x/Dos Rig) (Pentium III-S 1.4ghz, AWE64G+Audigy 2 ZS, Voodoo5 5500, Chieftec Dragon Rambus)

The Final Lan Party (My Windows Xp/7 rig) (Core i7 980x, GTX 480,DFI Lanparty UT X58-T3eH8,)
Re: Post your 'current' PC

Reply 14054 of 27364, by Captain Catnip

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

It's not in the computer realm, well it kinda is for me, and it's "old". I'm collecting lead/pewter Dark Sun miniatures by Ral Partha from the early '90s. They're getting kind of rare and expensive but every now and then they still pop up so I grab them. Received a couple more now and have to remove the paint of previous owners and then paint them myself. I love Dark Sun since I played Shattered Lands as a kid.

Reply 14055 of 27364, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Captain Catnip wrote on 2020-01-24, 05:34:

It's not in the computer realm, well it kinda is for me, and it's "old". I'm collecting lead/pewter Dark Sun miniatures by Ral Partha from the early '90s. They're getting kind of rare and expensive but every now and then they still pop up so I grab them. Received a couple more now and have to remove the paint of previous owners and then paint them myself. I love Dark Sun since I played Shattered Lands as a kid.

Ahh, another lover of retro miniatures. I'm an 'oldhammer' kind of guy, I never collected D&D miniatures but I do have an RPG book collection of around 200 books including a lot of Dark Sun (1E). I'm on the hunt for a complete copy of Asticlian Gambit 😀

Reply 14056 of 27364, by Captain Catnip

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Ahh, another lover of retro miniatures. I'm an 'oldhammer' kind of guy, I never collected D&D miniatures but I do have an RPG book collection of around 200 books including a lot of Dark Sun (1E). I'm on the hunt for a complete copy of Asticlian Gambit 😀

Back in my day I did a bit of Warhammer Fantasy painting for a friend before he went off to the military but I never owned any Warhammer miniatures myself. Got into them (minatures) by accident while searching for the fantasy novels of Dark Sun (still need to get back to those) and really like the artwork and metal minatures are awesome. My only other contact was Hero Quest and another tabletop game that I can't remember the name of. Kind of like a Warhammer light for a younger audience.

Reply 14058 of 27364, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tested out a mod I'm going to perform on my Acorn Electron - adding a 3.5mm jack output for audio out instead of using the internal speaker. This will allow me to control the output volume via a TV or AV receiver etc.

I didn't have any spare female jack connectors in my collection of wires so I've had to order one. In the meantime I just connected a Phono cable up to a spare jumper cable I fitted inside in place of the speaker and then sent the output to my TV. Seems to work fine and I can finish off the mod properly when I have the cable. Should also be able to slot the wire out through the side by the RF output, which I'm not presently using.

The good thing about this mod is, it's totally reversible. I'm leaving the internal speaker inside, just not connected.

I'll have to try and mod the RGB Scart cable too and add a 3.5mm jack audio cable.

Reply 14059 of 27364, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Repaired cyanoacrylate residue and a broken resistor on a Cirrus Logic CL-GD5401 ISA card. Not a piece of gear anyone will be rejoiced to hear is functional again, but 8-bit compatible VGA cards will become fairly handy and rare in the future I think..