VOGONS

Reply 14460 of 27364, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Anyone else just spray paint cases makeshift beige when they can't find actual vintage ones?

I had some old Corsair Carbide R75 (something like that) cases lying around im currently in the process of painting beige, and dark pink for my ultimate SLI build. They manage to fit AT boards in them with some standoff re-adjustments, so they make the perfect temporary home. Might not have that turbo-display but it does the trick!

Seriously, i can't fathom the prices vintage AT cases seem to go for these days. and most places around here are quick to junk old computers before i can even get to them.

The ONE time i found a vintage PC while out and about was infront of a bestbuy in their e-waste pile. Looked like a 486/early pentium era machine.
Asked the lady up front if i could take it and she said no ;-;. A reminder to next time bring a bribe! :p

Reply 14461 of 27364, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SodaSuccubus wrote on 2020-03-12, 04:03:
Anyone else just spray paint cases makeshift beige when they can't find actual vintage ones? […]
Show full quote

Anyone else just spray paint cases makeshift beige when they can't find actual vintage ones?

I had some old Corsair Carbide R75 (something like that) cases lying around im currently in the process of painting beige, and dark pink for my ultimate SLI build. They manage to fit AT boards in them with some standoff re-adjustments, so they make the perfect temporary home. Might not have that turbo-display but it does the trick!

Seriously, i can't fathom the prices vintage AT cases seem to go for these days. and most places around here are quick to junk old computers before i can even get to them.

The ONE time i found a vintage PC while out and about was infront of a bestbuy in their e-waste pile. Looked like a 486/early pentium era machine.
Asked the lady up front if i could take it and she said no ;-;. A reminder to next time bring a bribe! :p

I have entertained the idea but it is very difficult to get a sturdy coat of paint on a PC housing unless you take it to something like an auto repair shop and then the price does not end up being cheaper than a cheap AT case.

I do occasionally come across NOS beige ATX cases from the early 2000s, when I do I grab one or two. I grabbed this for just $15 with a cheapo 300W PSU a few months back, for example:

ATX-Case.jpg

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 14462 of 27364, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Last night, I fixed one of my favourite monitors, a Samtron 14" VGA monitor. It has issues with a flickering image when the desk or monitor moved. As I expected, the VGA connector's solder joints were broken.
Easy fix!

I hope it shows on the picture when compressed a bit.

Attachments

1982 to 2001

Reply 14463 of 27364, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Received a PC-50X Family Games Console today -

Grandstand SD-050:

ErD772Dl.jpg

Needs a good cleaning and need to repair the Right joystick.

Having some difficulties getting either the cartridge or the buttons on the console to work. Can start a few random games but not all buttons seem to function. That's the bit I should be able to fix and in any case I have a few extra cartridges coming for it at the weekend to test properly and find out which is the cause.

The biggest problem I wasn't anticipating however - it won't output properly to modern TVs! I wasn't expecting this issue, as I have a similar Pong-based console from this era that works fine, but this thing seems to have issues. Will have to do some experimenting.

Reply 14464 of 27364, by mongaccio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Today i have finished troubleshooting a really stubborn 486 desktop PC.

IMG_20200313_200817.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200313_200817.jpg
File size
54.96 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Always had intermittent issues,losing cmos memory data. Especially when moving it or bumping it. I was testing some 'new' cards in it,including a VLB video card (which works fine) when suddenly the issue worsened.
Started giving me a 1-3 1-3 Phoenix bios message every reboot.

Removed ide controller,as well as all the other addons,changed video card and memory, nothing changed.
Since it has a modded DS1287 , tried another one, with no luck.

I've decided to check the motherboard for loose solder joints, reflowed the keyboard and power pins, no luck.
Then i checked the DS1287 socket and i've found out that some pins were horribly loose. Decided to replace it with a brand new socket.
The PC came back to life, no more errors and the CMOS memory holds after the reboot. All those years of intermittent problems for a stupid socket...

It has a nice Pci/VLB/isa combo motherboard, Expertboard brand. 486 dx2 66, 32 megs of ram, sound Blaster 16, 28.8k modem, 3com LAN,and a 270Mb hard drive. Generic s3 pci card from '96 as video since i have heaps of them.

IMG_20200313_200643.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200313_200643.jpg
File size
91.28 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 14465 of 27364, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got this working on my "TheC64 Full Size", and then wrote a blog entry about it....
Played a lot of 1942, PacMan and Winter Games today, on TheC64 with my TheArcade stick.
Love it... 😜

RetroFun-USB-01.jpg
Filename
RetroFun-USB-01.jpg
File size
144.96 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
RetroFun-USB-02.jpg
Filename
RetroFun-USB-02.jpg
File size
153.26 KiB
Views
File license

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 14466 of 27364, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Played around with the P3 500mhz more today, still waiting for the Voodoo SLI bridge and a slotket to arrive. Which got me thinking about the final upgrade for this rig.

800mhz or 1ghz? Not sure which to stick in there. My motherboard bios only supports up to a 8x multi, so i could go for a 800mhz upgrade with no further mangling to be done.

OR
i do have the latest bios file that claims to support the later coppermines, so i could risk the shenanigans that come with that and go for a 1ghz. (Not gonna bother with Tualatins)

TBH, im a litttleeee hesitant to "fix" whats not broken. But there is ultimately just something so tempting about sticking a 1ghz in there and forgetting about cpu bottlenecks and what have you. Especally with V2 SLI complimenting it.

Reply 14467 of 27364, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SodaSuccubus wrote on 2020-03-14, 02:35:
Played around with the P3 500mhz more today, still waiting for the Voodoo SLI bridge and a slotket to arrive. Which got me think […]
Show full quote

Played around with the P3 500mhz more today, still waiting for the Voodoo SLI bridge and a slotket to arrive. Which got me thinking about the final upgrade for this rig.

800mhz or 1ghz? Not sure which to stick in there. My motherboard bios only supports up to a 8x multi, so i could go for a 800mhz upgrade with no further mangling to be done.

OR
i do have the latest bios file that claims to support the later coppermines, so i could risk the shenanigans that come with that and go for a 1ghz. (Not gonna bother with Tualatins)

TBH, im a litttleeee hesitant to "fix" whats not broken. But there is ultimately just something so tempting about sticking a 1ghz in there and forgetting about cpu bottlenecks and what have you. Especally with V2 SLI complimenting it.

I'm in kind of a similar dilemma right now. Turns out I was checking some old boxes and found 2 Pentium CPUs (both P54C, 100 and 120MHz) and 2 SIMM memory sticks, 8MB each. I tested all of this on my 430TX motherboard, and they seem to be OK (memtest86+ is still running, but it has done more than 7 passes so far, and no errors). Now I'm not sure if I should go with the MMX 233, 64MB of RAM and DOS/Win9x dual-boot or if I should go with one of these CPUs, the 16MB of RAM and DOS only. In any case, the video card will be a voodoo3 2000 PCI and the audio card is an ISA card with the ESS Audiodrive 1688F chip. First world problems, I guess.

Reply 14468 of 27364, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have spent FAR too much time trying to coax an early 2000s Yamaha 2.1 system back to life. Basically, the plastic part of the inner barrel connector broke off and got stuck in the plug in part, which messed up all the pins. I had to draw several maps of the wires, decide on an alternate connection (by default it was VGA, both a burned out ISA video card and several thousand VGA cables were at hand, had I had more time, I would totally have selected RS-232 but really, this will do), and then cut the housing, trace the wires, solder everything...

eN8ZMPe.jpg

GBVJt4i.jpg

azbi8P2.jpg

VIGOROUS heat gun application to remove the old socket from the board!

SsLyfMw.jpg

Then some soldering:

xO79ylD.jpg

Connecting the VGA to the 2.1 control wires:

4pejOcU.jpg

Kinda weird to see a VGA connector on a speaker system:

0SblKST.jpg

And upon connecting everything together - popping sounds!

The culprit - the POT here was split down the middle and caused all sorts of issues (this was at the other end of the control board):

KGzBTyw.jpg

I stuck in a 10k POT for now, it works, but I can't adjust it as it is entirely the wrong format (pot adjust shaft extends into the housing)

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 14470 of 27364, by Vegge

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I took a break from the machines on two wheels to fix some machines. So over a few days I have repaired and cleaned two Amiga 500s, one regular and one plusmodel.
Vartakiller

IMG_4321.JPG
Filename
IMG_4321.JPG
File size
1.9 MiB
Views
File license

Saved

IMG_4997.JPG
Filename
IMG_4997.JPG
File size
1.51 MiB
Views
File license

And this morning I replaced a RAM-chip on an early VIC-20, and then the same fix on an C64 breadbin. But sadly the SID-chip is dead on the C64.

And while the iron was hot I also soldered up an Pi1541 to try out.

IMG_4998.JPG
Filename
IMG_4998.JPG
File size
1.42 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_5001.JPG
Filename
IMG_5001.JPG
File size
1.31 MiB
Views
File license

Almost forgot. Some time ago I cleaned up this PC 10-III. I don't have any keyboard to try it out, but someday.

IMG_4849.JPG
Filename
IMG_4849.JPG
File size
1.26 MiB
Views
File license

It's nice to lighten the mind and clearing up some space since these machines has been lying in parts all over the place.

Reply 14471 of 27364, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Vegge wrote on 2020-03-14, 20:34:

Almost forgot. Some time ago I cleaned up this PC 10-III. I don't have any keyboard to try it out, but someday.

IMG_4849.JPG
Filename
IMG_4849.JPG
File size
1.26 MiB
Views
File license

oooooo... that's pretty!

Reply 14472 of 27364, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I somehow lucked into a really nice condition NES at the flea market for $20, so I of course snapped it up. I already had a brand new cartridge connector for my ugly yellow NES so instead of fixing the ugly yellow one, I put the new connector in the nice looking one. Much better!

ETGR2ZBXkAAi-wZ?format=jpg&name=large

ETGR28zWAAMP3i6?format=jpg&name=large

(forgive the widescreen, I didn't feel like setting up a CRT just to test the NES)

Reply 14473 of 27364, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
EvieSigma wrote on 2020-03-02, 21:30:

Ah, ECS...I've seen so many purple P4 boards rife with utterly toasted caps. Glad the Intel board in my Gateway and the MSI AMD board in my Compaq only have a handful of bad ones.

I've finished replacing the crapcaps with Panasonic ones. It's been 15 years since I've recapped a mainboard (back then it was also a S370 from a Shuttle mini-pc).

As a complete soldering amateur, I could not get all the solder out of the holes, I made my own minidrill from a fine screw driver. It's probably not the proper way to remove solder, but unorthodoxy is not a sin in my religion.

p6s5AT_1.jpg
Filename
p6s5AT_1.jpg
File size
125.17 KiB
Views
File license

Here's the forest of new Panasonic caps.

p6s5AT_2.jpg
Filename
p6s5AT_2.jpg
File size
344.91 KiB
Views
File license

The full board running:

p6s5AT_3.jpg
Filename
p6s5AT_3.jpg
File size
434.6 KiB
Views
File license

Finally the Speedsys result:

p6s5AT_4.jpg
Filename
p6s5AT_4.jpg
File size
45.17 KiB
Views
File license

Sue me if the clutter is offending 😉

Reply 14474 of 27364, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
flupke11 wrote on 2020-03-14, 21:25:

As a complete soldering amateur, I could not get all the solder out of the holes, I made my own minidrill from a fine screw driver. It's probably not the proper way to remove solder, but unorthodoxy is not a sin in my religion.

Nice ! Good thinking and I may try that method too.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 14475 of 27364, by brownk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
1.jpg
Filename
1.jpg
File size
258.29 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
2.jpg
Filename
2.jpg
File size
229.31 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Looked out for a single 2-inch high bronze heatsink, but was coward into settling with ones for GPU .

Installed two of these cuties on P2B HIP6019BCB.

I'll check how hot this and other MOSFETs get as my P3S runs in full throttle.

I'll prolly end up installing heatsinks all over the places.

Btw, it always is quite a thrill to watch contemporary meets classic before your eyes.

Reply 14476 of 27364, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Been a couple of years since I printed off some labels for organizing my loose card collection. Most cards fit in a standard Atari 2600-size clear box protector (some need a slightly-longer Intellivision-size). All cards in anti-static bags. Got about three bins full of loose video and sound cards. Very handy for grabbing the card you need.

IMG_8746.jpg
Filename
IMG_8746.jpg
File size
1.83 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_8758.jpg
Filename
IMG_8758.jpg
File size
1.25 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_8760.jpg
Filename
IMG_8760.jpg
File size
1.53 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 14477 of 27364, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
boxpressed wrote on 2020-03-15, 01:26:
Been a couple of years since I printed off some labels for organizing my loose card collection. Most cards fit in a standard Ata […]
Show full quote

Been a couple of years since I printed off some labels for organizing my loose card collection. Most cards fit in a standard Atari 2600-size clear box protector (some need a slightly-longer Intellivision-size). All cards in anti-static bags. Got about three bins full of loose video and sound cards. Very handy for grabbing the card you need.

IMG_8746.jpg
IMG_8758.jpg
IMG_8760.jpg

very nice :3
I should have done that, splitting my labels up.

Reply 14478 of 27364, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Re: drilling out the solder shut through-hole for capacitors. I do same but had drills as part of my watch and clock repair hobby, got the pin vise and one drill from the stand and that get done nicely. I use same to drill through to the sleeve bearing of fans that cannot be taken apart and inject oil through this hole. Works great.

Back in the day, I had a motherboard with one of IC real hot so I made a copper plate with oval opening for the crystal and preformed with mounting holes using the motherboard's mounting holes and a thermal pad. Worked great. This was on a Athlon mothrboard.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 14479 of 27364, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brownk wrote on 2020-03-15, 00:57:
1.jpg 2.jpg […]
Show full quote

1.jpg
2.jpg

Looked out for a single 2-inch high bronze heatsink, but was coward into settling with ones for GPU .

Installed two of these cuties on P2B HIP6019BCB.

I'll check how hot this and other MOSFETs get as my P3S runs in full throttle.

I'll prolly end up installing heatsinks all over the places.

Btw, it always is quite a thrill to watch contemporary meets classic before your eyes.

Does the HIP6019BCB even get hot? As from datasheet, it is only the controller for the voltage. The real current, and thus power dissipation, would be in the MOS-FETs right behind it ..?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀