Reply 16700 of 27393, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
darry wrote on 2020-09-19, 18:14:
Horun wrote on 2020-09-19, 18:10:
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-09-19, 18:05:

WD40 is metal coating to prevent rust. Due to this, the oil mixture it used thickens with time in few days your "lube" will turn into sticky, greasy paste-like stuff and fan may stop. If you like that fan, best way is take it apart and clean horrible stuff out and use baby oil (mineral oil) or engine oil if you have some around. I use clock and watch oils as I have it on hand due to my watch and clock hobby.
Cheers,

Agree ! Sewing machine oil is also one of the best if you can find it, extremely light weight, does not thicken and generally safe on all metals and most plastics too.

How about silicone lubricant ? Not recommending, just asking .

Some of the silicon based are very good IMHO, I use a light white Silicon grease on my floppy drive rails, gears and parts. Have never seen it thicken up/turn to sludge over many years. Have never tried any Silicon based oils, but would assume they would be good.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 16701 of 27393, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-09-19, 18:05:
pan069 wrote on 2020-09-19, 07:44:

A while back I ordered some Startech Ps/2 brackets. My ASUS PVI SP3 486 board didn't came with one and my KVM only supports PS/2 mouse & keyboard. I had to change the connector and to make sure I got the pin out correct and I found this helpful Vogons thread: PVI-486SP3 Documentation / Manual

Mouse is working perfectly!

On the same machine, the CPU fan was noisy, so I added some WD4 to that, hopefully this will quiet it down. One thing I noticed on this machine though, is that if I place my hand on the case (mini tower) the whole case is filled with a high frequency vibration. Its not that the case shakes or anything but there is a clear consistent vibration. Do we consider this normal for a 486 build with CPU fan?

WD40 is metal coating to prevent rust. Due to this, the oil mixture it used thickens with time in few days your "lube" will turn into sticky, greasy paste-like stuff and fan may stop. If you like that fan, best way is take it apart and clean horrible stuff out and use baby oil (mineral oil) or engine oil if you have some around. I use clock and watch oils as I have it on hand due to my watch and clock hobby.

Cheers,

Oops. Thanks for the heads up. Can you suggest something for cleaning?

Reply 16702 of 27393, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I made up a nice front facia for the oled screen on the FlashFloppy Gotek drive. It sticks out 3.8mm and only needs a slot drilled/cut out on the side to get the wires through, then the facia fits over that and some doublesided tape holds it all together. It's a bit nicer looking than my initial jamming the screen in with blu-tack and the printed facia means I don't have to worry about cutting super cleanly.

IMG_0627.JPG
Filename
IMG_0627.JPG
File size
728.76 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_0628.JPG
Filename
IMG_0628.JPG
File size
715.85 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The hole I cut out for the red LED turned out to be a total mistake though, still need to cover that up.

Also I found out why this Packard Bell 300 computer I bought had an ISA VGA CL GD5422 card with it (which made it a great deal!). The VGA card has some fault with the RAMDAC or something that causes it to output 15khz half the time, but if I heat it up with the hairdrier it works for a bit, then after a while the VGA signal gets super noisy. So I guess I'll be using this board with a separate video card after all.

Reply 16705 of 27393, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Horun wrote on 2020-09-19, 19:54:
darry wrote on 2020-09-19, 18:14:
Horun wrote on 2020-09-19, 18:10:

Agree ! Sewing machine oil is also one of the best if you can find it, extremely light weight, does not thicken and generally safe on all metals and most plastics too.

How about silicone lubricant ? Not recommending, just asking .

Some of the silicon based are very good IMHO, I use a light white Silicon grease on my floppy drive rails, gears and parts. Have never seen it thicken up/turn to sludge over many years. Have never tried any Silicon based oils, but would assume they would be good.

Thank you . I have some handy if I need it .

Reply 16706 of 27393, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally finished building out the Docking Station Monitor Stand for my NEC/AT&T Docking Station. It's built out of reclaimed pallet wood from my day-job (IT for Healthcare). Mostly I've been building guitars out of it but this monitor stand turned out pretty nice for a rush-job done with minimal hand-tools. It also feels like it can support a much heavier monitor than the original one would (the original is plastic and not as thick, nor does it extend out as far). May still do some more sanding and fine-tuning before I put a finish on it.

Also, cleaned up the P/75. Found out it has an actual ESS688 Audio Card in it - yay! It's making me wonder now if the DX4's audio module (Crystal WSS compatible CS4231) is exchangeable with the ESS688 module.......Might be cool to convert the M/75 into it's own custom model (and finally have DOS audio on the go). I also ordered another Seagate Momentous 80GB HDD for the P/75 - it works so well in my 40EC, and M/75 might as well just stick with what I know works. The plan is to make the P/75 a Windows 95 machine, and leave the M/75 on FreeDOS, and the 40EC on MS-DOS 6.22/Windows For Workgroups.

Put the 540MB Drive from the P/75 in the 40EC, on a fresh install it's nice and fast on only 8MB of RAM.

Attachments

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 16707 of 27393, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I managed most of the cabling within my general purpose 98SE/Late-DOS/W2k system, freeing up some extra resources that can eventually find their way in to a Pentium/S7 build I want to eventually do. I can still work a little more to make it completely clean, but I'm good for now.

image0.jpg
Filename
image0.jpg
File size
1.87 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 16708 of 27393, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BetaC wrote on 2020-09-20, 07:13:

I managed most of the cabling within my general purpose 98SE/Late-DOS/W2k system, freeing up some extra resources that can eventually find their way in to a Pentium/S7 build I want to eventually do. I can still work a little more to make it completely clean, but I'm good for now.

A little messy. Could use some additional cable management perhaps.

Have you thought about Socket 370, or is there a specific reason you're sticking to Slot 1?

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 16709 of 27393, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Deksor wrote on 2020-09-19, 11:05:

Can you make a clearer photo ? 😀

I have the same board but mine is dead and I removed too many components to have it recognisable
Here's the corresponding uh19 page : http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/5411

I also have this board in working condition. Enjoy.

Attachments

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 16710 of 27393, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
creepingnet wrote on 2020-09-20, 04:08:

Finally finished building out the Docking Station Monitor Stand for my NEC/AT&T Docking Station. It's built out of reclaimed pallet wood from my day-job (IT for Healthcare). Mostly I've been building guitars out of it but this monitor stand turned out pretty nice for a rush-job done with minimal hand-tools. It also feels like it can support a much heavier monitor than the original one would (the original is plastic and not as thick, nor does it extend out as far). May still do some more sanding and fine-tuning before I put a finish on it.

Also, cleaned up the P/75. Found out it has an actual ESS688 Audio Card in it - yay! It's making me wonder now if the DX4's audio module (Crystal WSS compatible CS4231) is exchangeable with the ESS688 module.......Might be cool to convert the M/75 into it's own custom model (and finally have DOS audio on the go). I also ordered another Seagate Momentous 80GB HDD for the P/75 - it works so well in my 40EC, and M/75 might as well just stick with what I know works. The plan is to make the P/75 a Windows 95 machine, and leave the M/75 on FreeDOS, and the 40EC on MS-DOS 6.22/Windows For Workgroups.

Put the 540MB Drive from the P/75 in the 40EC, on a fresh install it's nice and fast on only 8MB of RAM.

That monitor stand came out great. Are you going to stain or.paint the wood?

Reply 16711 of 27393, by stoof

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Finally finished building out the Docking Station Monitor Stand for my NEC/AT&T Docking Station. *snip*

Man, for a while there I was SO confused as to why the "VIRTUALISER PRO" text was mirrored, yet the image was not. Then it hit me. 😀

Oh and nice monitor stand. Also nice to hear that someone out there is making guitars out of pallet wood.

Reply 16713 of 27393, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2020-09-20, 09:46:
Deksor wrote on 2020-09-19, 11:05:

Can you make a clearer photo ? 😀

I have the same board but mine is dead and I removed too many components to have it recognisable
Here's the corresponding uh19 page : http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/5411

I also have this board in working condition. Enjoy.

Thank you 😀

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 16714 of 27393, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2020-09-20, 09:58:

That monitor stand came out great. Are you going to stain or.paint the wood?

Yes, most likely with clear shellac since that's what I have on hand, and it'll look cool to be able to see the wood grain. Have used it a few hours already and liking how this worked out a lot better than expected.

~The Creeping Network~

Reply 16715 of 27393, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is one awesome docking station protective stand for the laptop.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 16718 of 27393, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote on 2020-09-20, 19:13:

that looks almost like the monitor stand on the toshiba dock... if it didn't look like wood on the first thumbnail you'd almost assume it's stock ^^

Thx. I'm glad it has that effect.

I'm actually using it with three laptops - right now I'm rebuilding my NEC Versa 40EC with the 540MB drive out of a NEC Versa P/75 (DOS, WFW311), my Versa M/75 is almost a daily driver running FreeDOS 2.1, and I'm building up the P/75 (Pentium 75Mhz - and last model to use this case design with the removable screen) for Win9x gaming and apps once I get my 80GB HDD in.

I'm planning to use clear shellac on it, which might give it a more yellowed tint when that's done. Right now I'm running it bare just to find any anomalies and fine tune. I basically built it like I do the guitars I build (like those pictured below). I tend to prefer natural finishes, they show damage less (I used to gig a LOT, up until COVID-19), and they just look cool. Note, on the Jazzmaster it has a Fender Decal on the headstock because at the time I built it was I a serious Fender fanboy - I'm taking it off before too long and putting my own Logo on there (it's just a basic Waterslide Decal)

Attachments

• strat.jpg
    Filename
    strat.jpg
    File size
    60.58 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Home built Strat
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • jazzmaster.jpg
    Filename
    jazzmaster.jpg
    File size
    351.02 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Home built Jazzmaster
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

~The Creeping Network~

Reply 16719 of 27393, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
the_ultra_code wrote on 2020-09-20, 08:40:
BetaC wrote on 2020-09-20, 07:13:

A little messy. Could use some additional cable management perhaps.

Have you thought about Socket 370, or is there a specific reason you're sticking to Slot 1?

Yeah, it's far from a final pass, but I have other things I need to do. I've stuck with Slot 1 because I like it, and I don't run anything on here that requires more than a 700MHz P3.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png