VOGONS

Reply 18381 of 27363, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After messing about with my Pentium III machine for a few days, mostly just reinstalling the OS for different versions of the machine, I decided to put my Pentium MMX machine back in the case. After all, it has the most use by far. I decided that properly cable managing it all yet again would aso be fun, so that was what I spent a good hour doing, and I am proud of the results.

image0.jpg
Filename
image0.jpg
File size
1.73 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

And before anyone comments, the fan cable is in that weirdly specific spot because that always guarantees it works. The fan is temperamental with the splitters I am using to allow three fans to work with a single soldered-by-me fan header.

And here, have a picture of the insides that I'm actually kinda proud of.

image0.jpg
Filename
image0.jpg
File size
1.01 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 18382 of 27363, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bruninho wrote on 2021-03-09, 04:13:
EvieSigma wrote on 2021-03-09, 01:52:
Worked on getting my Aptiva working good. Replaced the failing AGP card, upgraded the RAM to 256MB, and installed all the necess […]
Show full quote

Worked on getting my Aptiva working good. Replaced the failing AGP card, upgraded the RAM to 256MB, and installed all the necessary drivers. I love this thing so much.

qxpYEDs.jpg

I see an iBook G3 right there! At least isn’t the tangerine one 🤣. Is it still working great for you?

It actually has a busted screen I haven't gotten around to replacing yet...

Reply 18383 of 27363, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I got back from Cali and it's still cold outside during the daytime, plus it's my wife's b-day month so LITTLE projects are my focus for now until "guitar season" Starts (basically, woodworking outside and etching circuit boards for pedals).

So I won another 16MB Module for the Versas, which means once I have one more 32MB ALL the Versa are topped out on RAM (40EC = 20MB, V/50 = 20MB, M/75 = 40MB, P/75 = 40MB). After that, 3 more Cisco Aironet cards, another battery (dumb battery) and 2 more Seagate Momentous drives, then it's time to liquidate off all the vintage HDD and smaller Memory cards to recoup some costs - then the REAL purge will begin.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 18384 of 27363, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today tested MB ASUS P5N-E SLI arrived days ago.
2X2GB DDR2-800 ADATA RAM installed, in total I have 4GB on 2 banks.
The power supply is a Corsair VX 550W, the CPU is an Intel Core2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz / 4M / 1333.
I am currently testing the operation, I found a problem with the USB mouse, I solved it using a PS / 2 mouse.
As a provisional VGA I use a 128MB Ati X550.
I did some bench tests including that of CPU-Z, but the scores are low, because the OS only detects 1 core.

Attachments

AMD 286-16 287-10 4MB HD 45MB VGA 256KB
AMD 386DX-40 Intel 387 8MB HD 81MB VGA 256KB
Cyrix 486DLC-40 IIT387-40 8MB VGA 512KB
AMD 5X86-133 16MB VGA VLB CL5428 2MB and many others
AMD K62+ 550 SOYO 5EMA+ and many others
AST Pentium Pro 200 MHz L2 256KB

Reply 18385 of 27363, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
fool wrote on 2021-03-06, 17:43:

Gathered every game box I could find. Some discs are lost, but on some day those might show up.
There are some decent games and very bad ones. If I remember correct, most played ones by me are Utilma VII & IX, Lands of Lore and POD. The most time consuming and annoying game has been Windows 95 Update.

That Roberta Williams Anthology.. *dies of envy*

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 18386 of 27363, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got the motherboard for my Gateway 2000 sleeper build. I had to set it in the case for a fit test right away. It's a snug fit, but it should work. The IO port height on the MB is low enough to still fit a dual-slot video card in the highest two slots. Cable management might be a bit of a challenge (especially the power supply cables) since I still need to make room for the hard drive and DVD-RW in the 5.25" bays.

Attachments

Reply 18387 of 27363, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Actually got round to playing some DOS games today instead of just repairing and testing hardware.

My Terratec EWS64XL is *NICE* and those different sound fonts for the Dream synth are fun. Not totally convinced the 8MB Hoontech is the best thing since sliced bread, but it gives my SC-55 a run for its money, which is rare enough. The 9MB sounds like someone took mp3 files with compression artefacts. Horrible...

Of course this now confronts me with a problem: I really, really want to have my GUS, AWE64 and EWS64XL in the same system. It makes sense in terms of game support (GUS for GUS, AWE for AWE and SB16, EWS64 for SBPro2, WSS and GM/GS - just not an original OPL3 between them, but I have older systems for that), it makes sense in terms of late DOS fun with all kinds of sound banks/fonts. But I only have 2 ISA slots in my K6-2/3 system. So I need new hardware after all 😉

Oh, and I bought myself a new chair for the retro-den. A former hairdresser's chair. Weighs a ton, but solid as bricks and supports my lower back beautifully. Happy times!

Reply 18388 of 27363, by CBM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

not exactly today but a few days ago I put a ryzen 3 2200g in a old medion pc case originally occupied by a pentium 4 and a radeon card and mounted a spare amd apu cooler on the side of the case to take in air ... identical to the cooler on the actual apu

its now running manjaro linux from a ssd and has a kryoflux with 3.5" and 5.25" floppy drives

now I have a pentium 4, an athlon64 and an old duron that needs cases here in my home office

I hope that I will be able to begin the inventory my main vintage hardware collection at my summerhouse sometime during the spring

I am looking especially forward to seeing my old pentium 2 systems again.... I really loved my pentium II back in the day

I recently got an old dell that will get xp and hopefully can cover my retro needs in my home office

I have yet to find win 98 games that wont run in xp with a little dark tech magic

Main PC SPECS:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: Powercolor Red Devil Radeon RX 5700 XT
RAM: 8GB*4 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz
Motherboard: ASUS Prime B450M-A
PSU: Corsair RM850

Reply 18389 of 27363, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Testing out my new Eizo FlexScan L557. Currently running an Indivision ECS V2, but later this week I'll be building a RGB2HDMI slot card for testing. When the Buffee accelerator is released, I'll likely go with a ZZ9000 RTG card.

Du98X4i.jpg

hSvvibb.jpg

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 18390 of 27363, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi there, any plans to test this Eizo FlexScan L557 on DOS for signs of frame skipping?

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 18391 of 27363, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is just being used on Amiga OS. No intent of DOS use for it. But here's the resolutions and frequencies supported from the user manual:

wR3pfcj.jpg

My Github

Reply 18393 of 27363, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What kind of LCD monitors in the segments that can do this low resolution at 70Hz. Medical? Professional? Etc. Wanted to widen the search.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 18394 of 27363, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Any older LCD should be able to, just look for 4:3 or 5:4 ratio screens. Medical monitors usually don't (they usually support weird higher resolutions), but professional graphics monitors usually do. Just steer clear of anything modern in your searches. The old NEC Accusync LCD's are plentiful and support a good variety of resolutions/frequencies. Some older Dell LCD's do too, especially ones with Composite/Component/Svideo.

My Github

Reply 18395 of 27363, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Installed a 1.44MB floppy drive in my Compaq Portable 1 that only works as a 720KB drive (XT BIOS limits), but it works. Wish I could use my du floppy drive that's DSHD (1.44MB and 1.2MB), but the controller card only supports DSDD drives and the XT-FDC BIOS doesn't work either with it.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 18396 of 27363, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wiretap wrote on 2021-03-10, 16:01:
Testing out my new Eizo FlexScan L557. Currently running an Indivision ECS V2, but later this week I'll be building a RGB2HDMI s […]
Show full quote

Testing out my new Eizo FlexScan L557. Currently running an Indivision ECS V2, but later this week I'll be building a RGB2HDMI slot card for testing. When the Buffee accelerator is released, I'll likely go with a ZZ9000 RTG card.

Du98X4i.jpg

hSvvibb.jpg

You know, Compaq made gray CDROMS that would probably match that Amiga nicely.

Speaking of Compaq, I SCSI'd my 386SX today 😁

I stayed up way too late for this, but it was rewarding.

ej4ppL0l.jpg

Out came the Radlib, the Intel 10Mbps NIC, and a game port controller

and in went an CT1740, a 3COM Etherlink III (WITH XTIDE -AT version) on a card I pre-configured for this task earlier, and an AHA-1520 (single ROM) card. Everything played nicely, I love the fact that I can keep my 40 Mb HDD for the boot drive (I like the sounds) and the XTIDE will pick up my CF cards (512 and under, no problems, 2GB some files don't run) automatically. I also threw in an SCSI Compaq branded CDROM (a bit newer than the rest of the system, but looks the part) and fabbed up some rails to get it nice and lined up.

bIrqcl5l.jpg

I had to slip in the CDROM over the case cover, there was some finagling. I will have to open the case again at some point to repair the power supply (first time you turn it on, nothing happens, then when you turn it off, it makes an almost hissing sound, which increases in pitch until it stops, then you can turn it back on again - I should probably do something about that).

QZKFlQ0l.jpg

E1tKIw4l.jpg

Oh yeah:

4N01Jzml.jpg

Now I'm contemplating a white 5.25 inch floppy. I just sold one in a 486 that would have fit here rather nicely. Oh well, the case is two tone.

3JsART6l.jpg

From bottom to top:
-ATI 8 bit mono card
-CF adapter
-Multi I/O
-Adaptec 1520
-3COM Etherlink III (XTIDE enabled)
-SB CT1740
-ATI VGA Wonder w 512k upgrade

This thing would have been worth a fortune in 1989 😉

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 18397 of 27363, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yesterday I yanked the "stock" voltage regulators out of my SixtyClone, and replaced them with a 2a 12v and a 1.5a 5volt. I was not able to source a 2a 5v 🙁 Then I mounted an original heatsink on the 5v voltage regulator, and used a tiny blob of arctic silver between the heatsink and voltage regulator. (better do a decent job). Tested voltages and all checks out.

Today I soldered in some pin headers for the power led, and only soldering remaining, are the shield over the cartridge connector. That one will be from an original C64 as well.

I think the build is a success, because there are no solder bridges (shorts) between any of the socket pins at all (done in one go) and all sockets have the correct voltages on 12 volt and 5 volt pins. All sockets have connection to ground on the ground pins. Logically it should work as long as all chips that I will be using are in working state.

When done and running, then the only things that are not factory new are the following:

- Two DB9 ports/connectors.
- Choke coil at the power-connector.
- Cartridge port bracket/shield.
- Variable Capacitor. (CT1 trimmer close to VIC-II)
- Voltage regulator heatsink.
- The keyboard it self. (case and keyboard brackets are completely new)
- Some of the chips that are not modern replacements for. (VIC-II, CIA's and so on)

It will be interresting to see if the machine is working after a little over a year of work.
I have done it in small phases, because it was not my only project.

I am already thinking about the next build of some kind of 8bit computer. Hmmm.... What will it be? Commodore128 or a modulair C64? Perhaps an Apple-II.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 18398 of 27363, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Work woke me up at 4:50am this morning, so I soldered up a RGB2HDMI Amiga 2000 adapter. Still need to design and 3D print a bracket. I have a nice HDMI adapter and button I'll put on the bracket.

Gerbers/Project: https://github.com/hoglet67/RGBtoHDMI/tree/ma … er/VideoSlot/V1
Mouser Cart: https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/Project … ssID=5747b1b210

6omKn1Th.jpg

s8yWyDPh.jpg

My Github

Reply 18399 of 27363, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wiretap wrote on 2021-03-11, 15:27:
Work woke me up at 4:50am this morning, so I soldered up a RGB2HDMI Amiga 2000 adapter. Still need to design and 3D print a brac […]
Show full quote

Work woke me up at 4:50am this morning, so I soldered up a RGB2HDMI Amiga 2000 adapter. Still need to design and 3D print a bracket. I have a nice HDMI adapter and button I'll put on the bracket.

Gerbers/Project: https://github.com/hoglet67/RGBtoHDMI/tree/ma … er/VideoSlot/V1
Mouser Cart: https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/Project … ssID=5747b1b210

6omKn1Th.jpg

s8yWyDPh.jpg

I really need to get around to doing one of these for my A500 some time..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.