VOGONS

Reply 19000 of 27185, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I gave my Sound Blaster CT1350B the CMS upgrade this week, so I've been working through the CMS supported titles to test them. I'm logging results along with any notes required to get each game working. Might turn it into a thread at some point, so others can help fill in the gaps.

CMS compat.jpg
Filename
CMS compat.jpg
File size
175.35 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 19001 of 27185, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today and this weekend for that matter, I've been working on some of my 8-bit micros.

Disassembled my Acorn Electron to clean and reseat the ULA, as I was getting random small dots appearing on the screen yet RAM tested fine. The reseat seems to have alleviated it somewhat. Everything is running fine, it's just a very minor nuisance.

Also played around with the USB stick on my DDI-5 for the Amstrad CPC 464. Reorganised the files on the stick, added the HXC Selector and then used DriveSort on my PC to sort the files & folders. Was all working well until after I removed the stick 1 time and suddenly it decided it didn't want to read any USB sticks and then when it did it wouldn't work properly. The FlashFloppy firmware could see the disk images and typing CAT to bring up the directory listing would work, but nothing would RUN, citing missing disc Drive A:.

Turns out it's the USB socket on the DDI-5 starting to get a bit temperamental. I sprayed some contact cleaner into the socket and inserted a USB stick with a bit of a wiggle and it seems to be working properly once again. I'll have to keep an eye on that and hopefully it doesn't get any worse, otherwise I'll either have to try and repair it or purchase a Gotek instead. Nobody seems to be making these DDI interfaces at the moment, probably due to the pandemic and/or lack of demand, so I'm very wary of attempting a repair. It's definitely not a good time for anybody to purchase a 464 without a disk interface, the parts are just not available!

Reply 19003 of 27185, by ThisOldTech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Today I played the game... "Which CDROM Drive has my w95 CD" with a paperclip on a stack of drives while troubleshooting an IDE controller.
Now there's a PC game I hadn't played in a while 😁 😁 😁

Attachments

I rescue old PCs and keep them from being recycled... and preserve Dos/Win 3.11 Software on https://www.ThisOldTech.ca.
Current Machine: AST Advantage! Adventure 6066d Cyrix DX50, 32M, 500MB, Vibra16 + CD/Floppy

Reply 19004 of 27185, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ThisOldTech wrote on 2021-05-18, 00:33:

Today I played the game... "Which CDROM Drive has my w95 CD" with a paperclip on a stack of drives while troubleshooting an IDE controller.
Now there's a PC game I hadn't played in a while 😁 😁 😁

I played this game two or three nights ago. It was of course, in the last one I checked. (And it was Civ 2 - I was seeing which of my CDROMS messed with it the least)

I got my Blue Lightning working with some SCSI parts - Over the next few days I plan on running some video benchmarks on it, which means I can put my Siemens 486 back together and on my desk, and then publish the 486SX-20 to ODPR benchmark. Maybe start editing some video now that I have my upstairs PC NoMachined to my editing station downstairs 😁

r337kUNh.jpg

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 19005 of 27185, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Happens to me all the time with my missing Windows 98SE CD.

Got my small retro game console setup by my computer desk/home office/repair closet:

IMG_20210517_214109880~2.jpg
Filename
File size
947.83 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Kawasho Color TV/Radio/Alarm/Timer Model 3706 that I've had for 3 years and it needs a deoxidation for everything (potentiometers, slider controls, and RF plug, which is a 3.5mm jack) and my SNES that I've had for 5 years.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 19006 of 27185, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote on 2021-05-18, 05:33:
Happens to me all the time with my missing Windows 98SE CD. […]
Show full quote

Happens to me all the time with my missing Windows 98SE CD.

Got my small retro game console setup by my computer desk/home office/repair closet:

Kawasho Color TV/Radio/Alarm/Timer Model 3706 that I've had for 3 years and it needs a deoxidation for everything (potentiometers, slider controls, and RF plug, which is a 3.5mm jack) and my SNES that I've had for 5 years.

I have something similar - a black and white Citizen (also with radio) and the antenna is trashed. I have a similar external plug - can you tell me more about your antenna setup?

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 19007 of 27185, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use an ordinary RCA to 3.5mm cable and there are RCA to Coaxial (TV) adapters on Amazon that will work well with anything that uses a Coaxial connection, such as a VCR, converter box, etc.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 19008 of 27185, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Completed the Boiler Room Build.
IMG_8487.JPG

66mhz 486DX2 machine with VLB trident video, 8mb ram, floppy drives and a 256mb SSD with a Colorado Jumbo250 for tape backup (and yes it works!)
Not an exceptional performer but a machine that is going to spend the rest of its life hidden in the back of a boiler room where it can be accessed via modem + Carbon Copy Plus and loaded down with a variety of compilers from Borland and Microsoft.
IF you want to work locally with it, it's buried behind a jungle of pipes and boilers with a dirty old VGA monitor and a keyboard. No sound, no mouse and no networking but you can be left alone to work for hours and nobody would ever find you back there.

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 19009 of 27185, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CelGen wrote on 2021-05-19, 03:14:
Completed the Boiler Room Build. https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/a166/ballsandy/IMG_8487.JPG […]
Show full quote

Completed the Boiler Room Build.
IMG_8487.JPG

66mhz 486DX2 machine with VLB trident video, 8mb ram, floppy drives and a 256mb SSD with a Colorado Jumbo250 for tape backup (and yes it works!)
Not an exceptional performer but a machine that is going to spend the rest of its life hidden in the back of a boiler room where it can be accessed via modem + Carbon Copy Plus and loaded down with a variety of compilers from Borland and Microsoft.

Are you having it control a HVAC system? Cause that would be super cool.

Reply 19010 of 27185, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No it's just down there where it can't be found. I rebuilt the power supply and made the case as secure as possible to prevent the dirty workspace and any animals that get onto the desk from bringing the system down. The modem uses a "secret" PBX extension so from anywhere inside the building and even from an outside line you can connect and then have access to a full suite of programming languages.

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 19012 of 27185, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And nice case! Here's my 386 build from last year in the same one.

IMG_20200701_164809.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200701_164809.jpg
File size
214.47 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 19014 of 27185, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I ordered a replacement MXM graphics card for a 2011 iMac and got it working with some remote blind flashing and messing about but it's made the computer very usable again.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed

Reply 19015 of 27185, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At work we have a really old system for which we don't have manager PC for years (even before I started there).
Now we want to replace that old system with a modern one, but we want to look into it to see if there is anything left that wasn't migrated to other systems.
In one of our storage rooms I found an old Siemens Nixdorf D6 PC. No RAM, dead hard drive, but otherwise seems to work. I fixed it up a little and started installing Windows 98 SE for the management software. Then in the middle of that the optical drive suddenly developed a mechanical issue and I ended up with a drive that can't stay shut and a corrupted Windows installation. I didn't have my retro-fix-up tools at hand so I guess I know what retro activity will I get up to tomorrow.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 19016 of 27185, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RandomStranger wrote on 2021-05-20, 06:47:

At work we have a really old system for which we don't have manager PC for years (even before I started there).
Now we want to replace that old system with a modern one, but we want to look into it to see if there is anything left that wasn't migrated to other systems.
In one of our storage rooms I found an old Siemens Nixdorf D6 PC. No RAM, dead hard drive, but otherwise seems to work. I fixed it up a little and started installing Windows 98 SE for the management software. Then in the middle of that the optical drive suddenly developed a mechanical issue and I ended up with a drive that can't stay shut and a corrupted Windows installation. I didn't have my retro-fix-up tools at hand so I guess I know what retro activity will I get up to tomorrow.

There are quite a few different case and hardware types for that PC, I really love the Pentium/MMX hardware in the early desktop cases. Pentium II and onwards have a weird late 90s look to them, but are still likeable. Which one was yours?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 19017 of 27185, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2021-05-20, 06:51:

There are quite a few different case and hardware types for that PC, I really love the Pentium/MMX hardware in the early desktop cases. Pentium II and onwards have a weird late 90s look to them, but are still likeable. Which one was yours?

It looks like this.
Only that it's the Pro version with 3 ISA slots, an open-case switch, 233MHz Pentium 2 and an S3 Trio64 graphics card.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 19018 of 27185, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RandomStranger wrote on 2021-05-20, 07:04:
appiah4 wrote on 2021-05-20, 06:51:

It looks like this.
Only that it's the Pro version with 3 ISA slots, an open-case switch, 233MHz Pentium 2 and an S3 Trio64 graphics card.

Ah, this is the latter version that I don't like as much but it has character for sure 😀

In other news: TIFU by throwing away a VGA cable that was intermittently turning the image yellow (contact problem on one end) thinking I had droves of them anyway, only to find out I had absolutely zero VGA cables left. So the only retro PC I can tinker with currently is my LGA775 Win9x box with an FX5200 that has DVI-Out. And I was really looking forward to benchmarking MX862900 vs ARK1000 vs SiS 6326 on a Cx 5x86 for science and shit..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 19019 of 27185, by fool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

While ago I build K6-2+ @600 + Voodoo3 3000 rig to play Ultima IX Ascension after 20 years. I didn't remember how burdensome that game is. It's just about playable with 8-bit textures and 640x480. Everything higher is like a slide show and generally unplayable. In the past I remember completing the game on K6-2 400 + Voodoo3 2000 and have no bad memories about performance, strange.

Today I repaired Gainward Geforce4 Ti4200. It was giving colorful pattern-screens and crashes during 3DMark2k.
Then I found this https://web.archive.org/web/20031104011507/ht … 15&pagenumber=1
It is a (old) known capacitor issue. Replaced 3x 1500uF caps with (overkill) Nichicon 1000uF low-ESR polymers. Removal of large SMD capacitors may be hard with an iron, but one trick is to GENTLY jiggle the capacitor with pliers until legs snap or pops out. After that it's easy job.

Attachments

• ti4200.JPG
    Filename
    ti4200.JPG
    File size
    133.79 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • result_ti4200.JPG
    Filename
    result_ti4200.JPG