User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-06-18, 07:15:

You obviously are a Xorg dev, I guess. 😀

You will NEVER know kid.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 19242 of 27168, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sirotkaslo wrote on 2021-06-15, 05:19:
Jed118 wrote on 2021-06-14, 17:12:
sirotkaslo wrote on 2021-06-14, 07:07:

And cleaned this old bad boy, its actually 2 years older than my fiance 😁

🤣 1994 is when Offspring released their greatest album. I was 12 at the time 😉

I was 8, when I was old enough to listen to Smash it was a few years old already.

then you are from the same generation 😁 I still have the tape in my retro car 😁

Which I spent 6 hours on this week just getting a replacement door on straight. Hinge pins - no body shop wanted to touch it, I ended up making it work with a 5/16ths trailer pin, a washer, and a few drillbits that I burned getting the orignal pin from 1984 out. I do not wish this on my worst enemy, that was some seriously tedious work.

Now I have to sand down the door and get a primer coat on at least, the door's like 4 different colors, my 2.5 year old counted them earlier 😐

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 19243 of 27168, by Byrd

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-06-18, 06:03:

I'm trying to decide what APG card to shove in the Shuttle Xpc:

Whatever single slot fits, and whatever is comfortable knowing you're not going to blow the tiny PSU! I love SFF x86 PCs, my rig is a MSI MEGA 865 P4 setup.

Reply 19244 of 27168, by RetroLizard

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Been trying to fix a hardware conflict in Windows 98SE, but haven't had any luck. Video card in question is trying to use the same memory range addresses as the ACPI bios, for some baffling reason.

Any ideas why?

Reply 19245 of 27168, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RetroLizard wrote on 2021-06-19, 17:52:

Been trying to fix a hardware conflict in Windows 98SE, but haven't had any luck. Video card in question is trying to use the same memory range addresses as the ACPI bios, for some baffling reason.

Any ideas why?

Is the videocard older than 1996? What board / card are you using?

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 19247 of 27168, by gca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finally found the driver for a stubborn Unknown device on my ThinkPad X20. Managed to drag the hardware ID out of it at last and found it was the PCMCIA Fast Eject driver. Never anticipated a PCMCIA issue because its been working perfectly.

Reply 19248 of 27168, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I decided to see if I could boot MS OS/2 1.3 on my Core 2 Duo (Conroe, 2.66 GHz) computer. It worked, although it booted a lot slower than on my Pentium 4 box.

I also discovered a neat program called Deskpic (Version 1.32) that gives OS/2 1.3 desktop wallpaper and a bunch of screensavers. It's hard to believe that MS would ship it without such simple features given that Windows 3.0 had those capabilities in the same timeframe. Goes to show that MS had little to no intention of making any version of OS/2 for the general consumer.

Reply 19249 of 27168, by yourepicfailure

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
seleryba wrote on 2021-06-16, 07:22:

~ snip ~

Ah. I think they were removed because the caps on them probably blew out at one point and someone tried to replace them. I had an issue with the contrast board on my T4400C when the caps blew, causing it to do some funny stuff. Inverting, losing contrast etc. Once I recapped the SMD electrolytic caps, good as new.

Reply 19250 of 27168, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pan069 wrote on 2021-06-14, 06:36:

Messing around with my Windows 98 rig today, playing some games etc. Suddenly my my CDROM drive stops opening, stuck. Needle/pin opening doesn't work, like there is no mechanism behind it to push open the drive. Super frustrating, I have had this happening to so many drives before, not sure what causes this. I opened the drive (an AOpen 40x model CD-940E/AKU), an absolute bitch to open up specially since I couldn't open the drive tray before disassembling so I couldn't remove the front panel. Then after having it opened, it gives me access to the bottom side of the drive. After removing the PCB I was able to manually trigger the drive to open by shifting a latch from left to right which drops the inner drive assembly (the one with the lens) and ejects the tray. However, I wasn't able to figure out how to further disassemble the drive so I left it at that. After putting the drive back together and reinstalling it, no juice. Same problem.

When is there going to be some smart person putting together the GoTek of CDROM's? All this mechanical stuff seems to failing left and right... 🙁

Managed to fix that CDROM drive today, yay! Replaced the drive belt, now it opens again like a champ!

Reply 19251 of 27168, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My latest video for #gpujune is a Geforce 2 vs Voodoo 5, hope some of you find it interesting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezXzYL7Ur9I

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 19252 of 27168, by WDStudios

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I installed and played Civilization II 😀

Mau1wurf1977 wrote on 2014-07-12, 17:49:

However the PIII Tualatin still dominates in extreme CPU bound situations (512 x 386 in SLI). Maybe this is because of the difference in CPU architecture (The P4 has a longer pipeline). It takes a much higher clocked P4 to get get close to the PIII Tualatin in such situations.

Well first of all, you have to realize that the P4 sacrificed instructions per clock cycle in order to achieve high clock speeds. Very very very roughly speaking, a 1.0 ghz P3 was equivalent to a 1.5 ghz P4. However, on the 180 nanometer process, the P3 (Coppermine) had trouble reaching 1.13 ghz while the P4 (Willamette) topped out at 2.0 ghz; on the 130 nm process, the P3 (Tualatin) topped out at 1.4 but the P4 (Northwood) was able to hit 3.4 ghz. So I hope you're taking that into account, and not trying to compare the two at the same clock speed. That would be like saying a Volkswagen Bug (P3) would "dominate" in a race against a Formula 1 car (P4), just because the Formula 1 car requires higher RPM (clock speed) to keep up with the Bug.

Second, the P4 was commonly stated to have 4 integer units and only 2 floating-point units. However, I've also heard that it had 2 of each but ran the integer units at twice the clock speed of the rest of the CPU, or something like that, so 2 got counted as 4... whatever. The P3 and Athlon, by contrast, were more balanced (Athlon had 3 integer units and 3 floating-point units), so even when you adjusted for the difference in clock speeds (ie you threw a 1 ghz P3 against a 1.5 ghz P4, or a 2 ghz Athlon against a 3 ghz P4), the P4 did better on integer math but got its ass handed to it on floating-point math. 3D gaming is pretty heavy on the floating-point operations. There's a very good reason why, throughout the early and mid-2000s, the Athlon was considered the gaming and CAD chip and the P4 was considered the media editing (Photoshop, Premiere etc.) chip.

Holering wrote on 2014-07-16, 08:52:

Why the heck isn't there low power consumption legacy hardware? Could you imagine a mobo with pentium 2, geforce mx 200, ram, sound blaster awe64, midi daughterboard, and ram on a single small pcb (or perhaps a single chip)? I've no doubt that it'd be possible in a low power, small form factor at least.

I had the same idea recently. The issue is that, when it comes to integrated circuits, development costs and other overhead costs are very high and per-unit manufacturing costs are pretty low, so a company needs to produce a LOT of a chip, like millions, for it to be profitable for them. Try convincing AMD or Intel that they're going to sell millions of a chip that's been obsolete for over 20 years. It's not impossible (the 386 continued to be manufactured for embedded systems all the way until 2007) but you need to talk about use cases other than Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries.

Honestly I think I'd be better off hiring a programmer to write drivers to allow Win98 to run on an Atomic Pi or something similar.

Holering wrote on 2014-07-16, 08:52:

Heck Microsoft would benefit from releasing new Windows 9X licenses.

The problem there, from Microsoft's perspective, is that older versions of Windows are not patched/updated anymore, and are therefore more vulnerable to viruses and hacks, and every compromised system out there increases the risk of something bad happening to more modern and secure systems. Basically, computers running older versions of Windows are like unvaccinated people. They're mostly a threat to each other, but if there are enough of them, they can endanger the rest of us. Also, Microsoft's whole business model is now based on spying on its users and selling their information to other companies rather than selling OSes to us, and Win9x doesn't really fit with that. And hardware vendors probably pay Microsoft to constantly make Windows slower and heavier so that people have to constantly buy new hardware, and new Win9x licenses don't really fit with that.

You might have better luck acquiring a Win9x volume license on the secondary market, and using that to make and sell as many Win9x machines as you want. It's legal and Microsoft can't do crap about it.

Standard Def Steve wrote on 2014-07-16, 18:05:

Was just blasting through F.E.A.R. on Dothan @ 2.7GHz/GTX-260 with everything cranked. Nice, smooth performance. I just love this CPU. Why Intel only made it for laptops is beyond me. PM on the desktop with a 667+FSB would have given AMD something to F.E.A.R. during the Socket 754-939 days.

Several motherboard vendors did, in fact, make desktop boards for the Pentium M 😀

Intel was not amused.

Since people like posting system specs:

LGA 2011
Core i7 Sandy Bridge @ 3.6 ghz
4 GB of RAM in quad-channel
Geforce GTX 780
1600 x 1200 monitor
Dual-booting WinXP Integral Edition and Win7 Pro 64-bit
-----
XP compatibility is the hill that I will die on.

Reply 19253 of 27168, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WDStudios wrote on 2021-06-20, 10:58:

Several motherboard vendors did, in fact, make desktop boards for the Pentium M 😀

Oh, I know. What, you think I have my Pentium M running at 2.72GHz in a laptop? 😜

P6 chip. Triple the speed of the Pentium.
Tualatin: PIII-S @ 1628MHz | QDI Advance 12T | 2GB DDR-310 | 6800GT | X-Fi | 500GB HDD | 3DMark01: 14,059
Dothan: PM @ 2.9GHz | MSI Speedster FA4 | 2GB DDR2-580 | GTX 750Ti | X-Fi | 500GB SSD | 3DMark01: 43,190

Reply 19254 of 27168, by WDStudios

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Standard Def Steve wrote on 2021-06-20, 17:26:

Oh, I know. What, you think I have my Pentium M running at 2.72GHz in a laptop? 😜

If you do, can I buy it from you? 😀

Since people like posting system specs:

LGA 2011
Core i7 Sandy Bridge @ 3.6 ghz
4 GB of RAM in quad-channel
Geforce GTX 780
1600 x 1200 monitor
Dual-booting WinXP Integral Edition and Win7 Pro 64-bit
-----
XP compatibility is the hill that I will die on.

Reply 19255 of 27168, by Turbo ->

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got an untested Legend QDI Socket 370 motherboard P6V693A/A9 without, I believe, north bridge heatsink. I've installed an Intel Celeron 400 MHZ CPU and turns out she works fine. However, I only tested it in DOS. I hope I will find appropriate drivers when Windows 98 installation comes in order.

Attachments

• IMG_0854.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0854.JPG
    File size
    496.99 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 19256 of 27168, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WDStudios wrote on 2021-06-20, 20:50:
Standard Def Steve wrote on 2021-06-20, 17:26:

If you do, can I buy it from you? 😀

Wish I had an overclocked PM laptop I could sell to you, man!

Funnily enough, while my Pentium M is in a desktop and driving a 200w furnace of a graphics card, my fastest Pentium 4 is in a laptop: an old Toshiba P25 equipped with a 3.4C chip. I just wish it had a faster GPU, because even the P4 deserves a better graphics card than the FX Go 5700. 😜

P6 chip. Triple the speed of the Pentium.
Tualatin: PIII-S @ 1628MHz | QDI Advance 12T | 2GB DDR-310 | 6800GT | X-Fi | 500GB HDD | 3DMark01: 14,059
Dothan: PM @ 2.9GHz | MSI Speedster FA4 | 2GB DDR2-580 | GTX 750Ti | X-Fi | 500GB SSD | 3DMark01: 43,190

Reply 19257 of 27168, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The trick is to find 400Mhz FSB PMs and socket mod them to 533.... if you wanna get a high clocked Pentium M in a laptop... if you feel you're never lucky you probably want a 745, if you feel you're moderately lucky you want a 755, and if you feel like eating lucky charms as a kid practically makes you a Leprechaun then try a 765.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 19258 of 27168, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Several retro stuff done today:

- Fixed my original "The offspring - Ixnay on the hombre" cassette tape. I played side A as usual on my Walkman, but then side B never started playing (Walkman has auto-reverse) so I opened the tray and saw the brown audio tape had separated from the final clear blue tape. I had to open the cassette, which caused some damage to the shell (it has no screws) and tape again the tape, but it seems to work again.
- I say "seems" because when testing it, I noticed the autoreverse would still not work. I thought my fixing of the tape was wrong, but after trying with another tape, it would still not work. I opened the walkman, and noticed the replacement belt was again slipping. Oredered a new one from someone in Eastern Europe, hopefully it will arrive here sometime.
- I also played Half Life 2 on my Athlon 64 x2 PC. Not the Steam version, but the one that came on a DVD with a very old version of the Steam client. It works fine, though.

Reply 19259 of 27168, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I finally did some retro stuff this weekend.

I have a "to test" box where I put stuff from donations, mini-hauls, etc, that need to be tested. Decided to try to empty it out this weekend. Started with videocards, a Rage Pro 128, a Radeon 9200 TV, and a FX 5200 TV with some failing caps that all work.

Tested a bunch of RAM, PC133, DDR and DDR2 mainly, though I have some SODIMMs remaining to test. Only one bad stick out of the batch. Tested 3 socket 478 and 3 socket 775 processors from a celeron to a core2duo (but 4 of them were P4s). All work. Have a socket AM2 mobo on the bench for the last loose processor, an Athlon 64 x2 5050e.

Tested a PIII slot A mobo along with some PC133 RAM, also tested a beige IDE DVD-ROM and a few hard drives (the 40 gig SATA was dead, the 40 gig IDE and 160 Sata 2.5" work fine).

Wasted an entire bottle of acetone getting a DDR2 heatsink off a dead stick, only to have the paint crumble off and get everywhere - zero out of ten, would throw away next time. Do have a spare heatsink, half-stripped of paint.

After that last CPU and the remaining SODIMMs, the box will be empty (FOR NOW). I got some 8Gb SODIMMs and I need to find something to test them with. They were grungy but cleaned up real nice with alcohol.

ASUS and the shipper are being punks about the shipping damage on my main system's motherboard. The good news is XFX sent me a new video card under warranty. It won't fit in my backup system, but hey, it's new in box!

*Too* *many* *things*!