VOGONS

Reply 19400 of 27334, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finished the NES game theme by swapping the original shell to the TMNT custom painted shell I got off of eBay. That and I also installed the genuine 72 pin edge connector (ordered 3 of them all refurbished and shiny) since the cheap one from Amazon was at a low reliability rate.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 19401 of 27334, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-07-09, 20:40:

No MickySoft Windows NT though. But is that really a bad thing.

Actually, there is a technical reason why NTOS never supported ARM until very recently, aside them being underpowered compared with the MIPS, PPCs and Alphas of the era.

"Originally it was designed for ARMv5 and ARMv4, but these cores have an MMU that is incompatible with ReactOS/Windows multiprocessor requirements, and lacks instructions needed for synchronization done in user-mode, so currently the port targets ARMv7 compatible cores."

https://reactos.org/wiki/ARM_Port

That was discovered by ReactOS guys, but the same limitation applies for WinNT.

Reply 19402 of 27334, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Been pulling G-Luxon caps off a socket 370 Shuttle. Good thing I decided to do them all, some of them perfectly flat on top... and blown out at the bottom. Component tester doesn't even recognise them as trying to be capacitors, one of them must have corroded plates touching internally though, it thought that one might be a diode. Noticed something else amiss on the board though, a gouge across the serial port lines, and the spacing on them is hairlike, as are the traces, don't think that board is having onboard serial again. Unless maybe I ugly-fix it, with that set of lines "jumpered" with a bit of ribbon cable, they spread out either end, so would be MUCH easier to solder.

Edit: Oh you know what might work on those traces, individual strands of headphone cable, and soldering them staggered, like 5mm between solder points, so I don't blob two together by moving the soldering iron 5 microns too far one way.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 19403 of 27334, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lolo799 wrote on 2021-07-09, 22:29:

How does it sound at shutdown?
Make some recording, there is a lack of hdd noises collection thread on the forums!

I'll do that this weekend.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 19404 of 27334, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
babtras wrote on 2021-07-09, 20:19:

Got a 386 desktop going, with a genuine AdLib card in it. Installed the AdLib Jukebox and enjoyed grooving to the tunes. Now I can start working on how to play music from a Turbo C++ program.

Adlib ?
You got to play Dune on it ! 😀

Reply 19405 of 27334, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Been running spinrite on my 39gb maxtor diamondmax 8 i got on ebay it was running like it was faulty but its in denial like theres nothing wrong.
I am at day 3 of 4 days waiting for it to complete.
I've used spinrite 5 on many of my old disks one is a quatum fireball a 5gb model with a weak cluster spinrite gets it going again but eventually i have to run it again.
If I just went with a bad mark on it throughput would drop down so slow its like pushing a broken car in cmparison really.
So all my healthy units get the spinrite once a year they havent failed two such units i got in 2003 Maxtor diamondmax 8 40gb(gamer edition) they still running like new today and don't fail at all in RAID 0 but I always break the raid, format them run spinrite then build a new RAID for software refresh.
Oh and my old 250mb WD Caviar from 1995 (manufactured 1994) i used to run on windows 95 1st edition vlb controller in 1996 - 1998 got the spinrite treatment sometimes i will run that disk just as a browser cache for a giggle (a whole hard disk for a broswer cache & emergency coffee cup coaster)
I recommend spinrite above all other hard disk regeneration tools and try get your disks in working pc's not in the mail because although they may be cheap they get shock treatments on their way to their new home without fragile handling but notebook / laptop disks do well.
If i decide to sell disks they would be magnetically underwritten (factory surface condition) then run through spinrite to ensure proper even surface read / write tracks amplification then smart tested with victoria. DiskFresh is a signal tool that runs in idle windows time I like that too. I typed in for everything retro to today magnetic preservation society wise if one exists

https://alternativeto.net/software/spinrite/

But anyway back to the job at hand the pc build of 2001 is holding out terrific in doing this process and that means future jobs for it but on a disk controller with ATA133 than ATA100 it should cut back the hours a little.
Was thinking of doing a promo to get people sending their disks for rejuvination I mean it takes a long time the convenience 😀

Reply 19406 of 27334, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Recapping an AV11... annnd it's half alive... Got it in a box lot of boards some 15 years ago, got no history on it, was sitting there with it's bloaty caps waiting for me to get desperate enough for an s370 board. So, we go through the POST tests, and get to FF annnnd nothing happens, well the screen is lit, the monitor turned on, and the CPU fan is spinning from the board header, but nothing more happens at FF... no VGA BIOS splash, no BIOS splash, system summary, nada. Too late now, might try different CPU tomorrow, but wondering if the BIOS is good or not. Tried a SiS 6326 and a Riva 128 for vid so far, same with both.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 19407 of 27334, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Make some recording, there is a lack of hdd noises collection thread on the forums!

Here's the recordings of my HDD, since that definitely counts as a retro activity.

Filename
Just_HDD.ogg
File size
1.53 MiB
Downloads
40 downloads
File license
Public domain

This one is with the fan and speaker disconnected, and the case open.

Filename
Open.ogg
File size
1.4 MiB
Downloads
37 downloads
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Fan and Speaker connected, still open.

Filename
Closed.ogg
File size
1.5 MiB
Downloads
39 downloads
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Closed up as apple intended.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 19408 of 27334, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-07-09, 20:11:

He! he! he! Absolutely love it 🤣!

The 20meg scsi hdd on my Mac SE is quite loud but still seems to chug along quite nicely after all these years...😉

Same, make some recording^

Being a grumpy selfish old man I'd rather saver the experience all by myself thanks. Just in cast one of those pesky "get everything old in emulation" types get hold of it ...😉

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-07-12, 21:10. Edited 1 time in total.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 19409 of 27334, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BetaC wrote on 2021-07-11, 06:43:
Here's the recordings of my HDD, since that definitely counts as a retro activity. Just_HDD.ogg This one is with the fan and spe […]
Show full quote

Here's the recordings of my HDD, since that definitely counts as a retro activity.
Just_HDD.ogg

Open.ogg
Fan and Speaker connected, still open.

Closed.ogg
Closed up as apple intended.

The shutdown is way smoother on yours.
Been looking at the various revisions of the SCSI2SD, I guess external is the easiest way to go to swap it between different machines or an internal model and an old style scsi case.

Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-07-11, 09:54:

Being a grumpy selfish old man I'd rather saver the experience all by myself thanks. Just in cast one of those pesky "get everything old in emulation" types get hold of it ...😉

That's understandable, you wouldn't want to scare the last dodos nesting in your hdd boxes!

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 19410 of 27334, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Here's the recordings of my HDD, since that definitely counts as a retro activity. Just_HDD.ogg This one is with the fan and spe […]
Show full quote

Just_HDD.ogg

Yeah, reminds me of my old quantum fireball drives. Nasty noisy those are. (or lovely noisy, depending on opinion!)

Reply 19411 of 27334, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Going through all projects, cleaning up my lab, moving retired projects to a Museum page: https://www.serdashop.com/Museum
it brings back nice memories, but time to move on to next projects,..
while listening to midi music playing on X2GS 😀

Visit http://www.serdashop.com for retro sound cards, video converters, ...
DreamBlaster X2, S2, S2P, HDD Clicker, ... many projects !
New X2GS SE & X16GS sound card : https://www.serdashop.com/X2GS-SE ,
Thanks for your support !

Reply 19412 of 27334, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
canthearu wrote on 2021-07-11, 10:37:
Show full quote

Just_HDD.ogg

Yeah, reminds me of my old quantum fireball drives. Nasty noisy those are. (or lovely noisy, depending on opinion!)

It isn’t a fireball, but it is a Quantum drive.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 19413 of 27334, by Brawndo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Last night I started a list of all the old hardware I've acquired thus far. When going through one of my boxes I was pleasantly surprised at a few things I had forgotten about. I re-discovered a Gigabyte GA-6BXC slot 1 motherboard brand new in the box, and remembered I got it for a steal, and when I bought it the lady messaged me and said she had another one if I wanted it. For some foolish reason I declined.

I also noticed the Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 Pro video card I bought awhile ago looks like the anti static bag has never been opened, so that's interesting. It could have just been resealed very well though. Not sure I want to open it, on the chance it is new and sealed.

Reply 19414 of 27334, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I finally got around to making a floppy-less installation CD for Windows NT 3.1 (for IDE/ATAPI optical drives) using these instructions:

https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28570

The CD boots on real IDE/ATAPI hardware, but the ATAPI driver I'm using in the CD's boot sector doesn't like having two optical drives on the same channel during the text-mode phase of setup. Once I unplugged the slave drive, the installation went through as usual. Now I have a way of performing a Windows NT 3.1 clean install using the installation CD-ROM start to finish.

Reply 19415 of 27334, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just tidying some rust on the the metal cage of my K6-2 400 Linux box. Once sanded flat I'll aply some black guard rust nutraliser then paint. Most likely primer light grey which seems the closest match. And I have a couple of sprey bombs I need to use up....😉

Attachments

• 20130108_055331.jpg
    Filename
    20130108_055331.jpg
    File size
    720.1 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 19416 of 27334, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
fosterwj03 wrote on 2021-07-11, 18:27:

I finally got around to making a floppy-less installation CD for Windows NT 3.1 (for IDE/ATAPI optical drives) using these instructions:

https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28570

The CD boots on real IDE/ATAPI hardware, but the ATAPI driver I'm using in the CD's boot sector doesn't like having two optical drives on the same channel during the text-mode phase of setup. Once I unplugged the slave drive, the installation went through as usual. Now I have a way of performing a Windows NT 3.1 clean install using the installation CD-ROM start to finish.

Thank you for sharing that link. Must give it a shot sometime....😉

Reply 19417 of 27334, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I cleaned up a recent Socket 775-based PC that I was recently given for free, which is going to become a rough 2007-era gaming PC.

Installed a Core 2 Quad Q6600 CPU and setup Windows 7 (no way in hell I was putting Vista on there!). It currently has a GeForce 9500GT graphics card installed, but this is soon going to be replaced with an 8800GT.

Reply 19418 of 27334, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finished installing a remotely accessible DOS machine, dubbed the BoilerPC. Runs Carbon Copy Plus and hides behind the boilers in a 100 year old building. Spent the last month and a half just trying to find the appropriate furniture to match it with.

CGS_10663.JPG
CGS_10659.JPG
CGS_10662.JPG

For a Good time, modem dial Extension 708. 😉

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 19419 of 27334, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CelGen wrote on 2021-07-11, 22:20:
Finished installing a remotely accessible DOS machine, dubbed the BoilerPC. Runs Carbon Copy Plus and hides behind the boilers i […]
Show full quote

Finished installing a remotely accessible DOS machine, dubbed the BoilerPC. Runs Carbon Copy Plus and hides behind the boilers in a 100 year old building. Spent the last month and a half just trying to find the appropriate furniture to match it with.

CGS_10663.JPG
CGS_10659.JPG
CGS_10662.JPG

For a Good time, modem dial Extension 708. 😉

Looks good...😉