VOGONS

Reply 8820 of 27364, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Huh, "the more you know." 😀

3 people, though? I don't know anything about that kind of thing, but 3 people sounds kind of small to deal with encrypting all of the 3DO games (if that's what happened).

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 8821 of 27364, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Repaired this 286 board and some others:
Re: 80286 BIOS image collection

Had a broken CPU socket and cap. Replaced with one I had in spare:

IMG_2216r.jpg
Filename
IMG_2216r.jpg
File size
824.24 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_2219.JPG
Filename
IMG_2219.JPG
File size
884.13 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_2224r.jpg
Filename
IMG_2224r.jpg
File size
638.76 KiB
Views
File license

Was not able to figure out the value of the destroyed cap and took a random one...

Indeed my new CGA card..
Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today
...is very useful for diagnostic purposes! Supersoft/Landmark ROM works perfectly with it. These ROMs are not only for IBM, it even worked in a 386 I tried and that was dead so far...

IMG_2223r.jpg
Filename
IMG_2223r.jpg
File size
789.76 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 8822 of 27364, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally got my Compaq Presario 9232 working properly with the Dreamblaster S1.

Video: https://youtu.be/WkHGFm3NsJs

Pics:

XKWCz7Ol.jpg

yGl2z9El.jpg

c2SptCel.jpg

agsZVnEl.jpg

lFV9pLcl.jpg

RenpXgll.jpg

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 8823 of 27364, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Beautiful Compaq. Looks great! Do some recordings for us when you get a chance.

Today I played Wipeout 2097 for the first time after an IRC friend told me about it. I suck at it.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 8824 of 27364, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks. Yea it is in really good condition. No yellowing, no scratches, etc. I'll try to get some better recordings soon.. I have a few other projects I'm working on at the moment. 😀

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 8825 of 27364, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been working on refurbishing some hardware for someone I recently met locally. Turns out he's got more Amiga gear than I could've ever expected!
Amiga_4000_and_2000.jpg

I pulled the battery out of the A2000, but it took me a while longer to figure out how to make the mouse/joystick DE-9 ports behave properly (left and right were ignored, up was up-left, down was down-right) due to some trickle-down corrosion from that pesky Varta NiCd barrel battery. At least it's not like my own A2000, which has damaged CPU traces and won't run reliably right now.

As for the A4000, it was initially a sight of dismay, as it had some slight battery leakage and initially started with a yellow screen. I took another crack at it tonight, though: reseated the SIMMs (and they're really tight in there, resting right against each other), and it boots and runs fairly reliably once they're latched down properly, with a full 16 MB of Fast RAM. However, it's already frozen and yellow-screened on soft reset at least once, which coupled with the hints of corrosion around the SMD caps, all suggests that this one needs a full-on recap before it's too late.

This is just scratching the surface, too. I've got another one or two A4000s to look at, possibly a CDTV and CD32 as well, as well as a ton of 1084(S) monitors I was informed about but haven't seen beyond this busted-up one that won't even power on with a held-down switch.

Reply 8826 of 27364, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
the_ultra_code wrote:

Huh, "the more you know." 😀

3 people, though? I don't know anything about that kind of thing, but 3 people sounds kind of small to deal with encrypting all of the 3DO games (if that's what happened).

I was exaggerating a little, but as far as I understand the process really was something like that. I got the story from someone who did a ton of work on the 3DO so I assume she knows well how it worked. In the end they only had to encrypt 286 officially licensed games over the whole run of the system; I guess you don't need a huge team to do that. 😉

(Still) speaking of 3DO, now that I tidied up my game cabinet I spent a liiiiiitle too long making replacement jewel case inserts for some games I only had loose discs of. Some of these are the actual labels from scans, other ones I had to make up 'fantasy labels' for because there wasn't a good scan anywhere or they came in a long box & didn't get a jewel case release. Yes, they're printed on cheap office paper in B&W for now, but I'll run them off on nicer card stock in colour eventually.

1.jpg
Filename
1.jpg
File size
541.65 KiB
Views
File license
2.jpg
Filename
2.jpg
File size
385.11 KiB
Views
File license

I'm not going for any kind of authenticity or collector value here, I just wanted them to look a bit nicer on my shelf, and I think I accomplished that:

3.jpg
Filename
3.jpg
File size
315.19 KiB
Views
File license

Still have some more to do but I'm tired of this project at the moment. Also, I probably shouldn't have used my dining table as a cutting surface. 😜 These are all legit discs; for burned CDs I don't care as much.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 8827 of 27364, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
NamelessPlayer wrote:
I've been working on refurbishing some hardware for someone I recently met locally. Turns out he's got more Amiga gear than I co […]
Show full quote

I've been working on refurbishing some hardware for someone I recently met locally. Turns out he's got more Amiga gear than I could've ever expected!
Amiga_4000_and_2000.jpg

I pulled the battery out of the A2000, but it took me a while longer to figure out how to make the mouse/joystick DE-9 ports behave properly (left and right were ignored, up was up-left, down was down-right) due to some trickle-down corrosion from that pesky Varta NiCd barrel battery. At least it's not like my own A2000, which has damaged CPU traces and won't run reliably right now.

As for the A4000, it was initially a sight of dismay, as it had some slight battery leakage and initially started with a yellow screen. I took another crack at it tonight, though: reseated the SIMMs (and they're really tight in there, resting right against each other), and it boots and runs fairly reliably once they're latched down properly, with a full 16 MB of Fast RAM. However, it's already frozen and yellow-screened on soft reset at least once, which coupled with the hints of corrosion around the SMD caps, all suggests that this one needs a full-on recap before it's too late.

This is just scratching the surface, too. I've got another one or two A4000s to look at, possibly a CDTV and CD32 as well, as well as a ton of 1084(S) monitors I was informed about but haven't seen beyond this busted-up one that won't even power on with a held-down switch.

marry him

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 8828 of 27364, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yesterday had an old friend over for beer and testing NX586 CPUs. Unfortunately my CPU seems dead (or the NxVL boards don't like the large heatspreader NX586 CPUs even with the latest BIOS). At least the beer was good.

Slow start today (beer+late night does that), but ran a laundry load. On-topic as it contained two pillow cases filled with Model M keycaps. Gave one of my boards a complete clean, fixed the dead space bar (just a badly placed stabilizer bar). Now clicking away as new.

Did another IBM-related thing too - the Edifier speakers on my main system had died (completely inaccessible connector for right speaker came loose) and as it was all glued shut getting access would mean demolishing the poor thing. So bought a pair of Microlab B73s as a replacement. They arrived yesterday and turned out to be much bigger than expected - bigger that I have room for. Also, they had a second input, which made them ideal for in the retro room - one input for the sound card, one from MIDI (MT-32).
So I moved the speakers I had down there up to the home office. They are a set of IBM/Infinity 20L2168 speakers from my late mother's 1996 IBM Aptiva. I'd never actually listened to any music on these, which I should have years ago. Powerful, great definition - all-round excellent audio, coming close to those Microlabs, but at 1/3 of the size 😀

Reply 8829 of 27364, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Getting all kinds of Retro Activities done this weekend. 😀 Finally got around to pulling apart & de-capping my original Xbox. Also confirmed it has a 1.2 or 1.3 board, like I thought - fully moddable and the easiest revision of all to deal with. Nice.

bord.jpg
Filename
bord.jpg
File size
436.71 KiB
Views
File license
pow.jpg
Filename
pow.jpg
File size
314.96 KiB
Views
File license

Aside from some white goop on the PSU (WTF?) I was pleased to find it supremely clean on the inside. Even the notorious clock cap was still intact, although I suspect it was getting ready to. All the others looked perfect.

manky.jpg
Filename
manky.jpg
File size
324.1 KiB
Views
File license
steve.jpg
Filename
steve.jpg
File size
326.25 KiB
Views
File license

I was going to make the TSOP writeable "while I was in there", but holy balls are those solder pads tiny. That's gonna have to wait until I get some better gear.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 8830 of 27364, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Aside from some white goop on the PSU (WTF?)

That is to prevent buzzing sounds from the components.

I finished restoring an old Mitsumi FX400E quad-speed CD drive from 1995 today. That will go into my Pentium 75 I'm currently building.

Reply 8831 of 27364, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have started rebuilding my 486dx4-120 machine. Different case, VLB Controller and S3-805 VLB.
The harddrive is SCSI and the CD-Rom is an SCSI as well, that uses Caddy's.
The system has 32mb Ram and the soundcard is an AWE64 Value/Standard.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 8832 of 27364, by Thandor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yesterday I visited an old friend for a beer and testing NX586 CPUs. Unfortunately his CPU seems dead (or the NxVL boards don't like the large heatspreader NX586 CPUs even with the latest BIOS). At least the beer was good.

The NX586 with small heatsink worked flawlessly, however 😀.

I also scored a very nice 15" Compaq V55 CRT monitor for my P100 DOS machine 😀.

thandor.net - hardware
And the rest of us would be carousing the aisles, stuffing baloney.

Reply 8833 of 27364, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
NamelessPlayer wrote:
https://s22.postimg.cc/8t3qtcrdd/Amiga_4000_and_2000.jpg […]
Show full quote

Amiga_4000_and_2000.jpg

Seeing photos of this kind is soul shattering.. That sinking feeling of knowing I will never own one of these is a sadness I can't explain..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 8834 of 27364, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

486dx4-120 is finished being rebuild. It seems as the SCSI controller is not working correctly, and I need to test it further. So I went back to the onboard IDE controller and CF-Card. Not a big loss, as the onboard is a vesa controller. Anyway. It is finished and ready for storage. Next up, is to move the DX2-80 into the old DX4-120 case, and use the old DX2-80 case for a DX-33 ISA build. This has all been long overdue.

Reply 8835 of 27364, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:
NamelessPlayer wrote:
https://s22.postimg.cc/8t3qtcrdd/Amiga_4000_and_2000.jpg […]
Show full quote

Amiga_4000_and_2000.jpg

Seeing photos of this kind is soul shattering.. That sinking feeling of knowing I will never own one of these is a sadness I can't explain..

I agree... Big box Amiga's are a nice thing. At least I have my 500 and my 600.
Amiga's are a different world and have their own special soul.

Reply 8836 of 27364, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Project “resurrect Geforce 4 Ti” was a success. Might post pics later, but not at home now. I thought it was
a Ti4800 because that is what the sticker looked like. However it is a 4600. The label is pretty small and
the 6 looked like an 8.
It was missing a cap on the back of the card in the GPU area. I pulled a cap
off of a dead low end pcie card and put it on this card. Also swapped the heatsink
Because the one on ths card was missing the fan. May have to replace the fan because
the fan on the heatsink seems to have issues initially spinning up.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8837 of 27364, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Me not much.. But iam being busy to wait on a new table to have more space for soldering and fixing hardware.. So over 2 days i have more space to work on the old computers and hardware i have bought over the last 10 years..

The table will getting a monitor stand with old monitor to use for troubleshooting the old pcs and getting them running.. And also have the space to check every thing i bought.

First iam going to try some solder project to getting better soldering skills.. If i have more skill i will trying to fix some cheap hardware.. After that i will work on the higher value hardware.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 8838 of 27364, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ Good luck. 😀 Nothing more satisfying than taking something broken and fixing it yourself. If you don't know how to solder already there are some great tutorials on Youtube.

Reply 8839 of 27364, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally formatted a few Rainbow compatible disks and booted a DOS 2.1. Still need to see if I can get the HDD to function. Maybe next year...

rb100.jpg
Filename
rb100.jpg
File size
149.13 KiB
Views
File license
dos.jpg
Filename
dos.jpg
File size
267.33 KiB
Views
File license

Slight screen rot on the corners there, but meh.