VOGONS

Reply 12080 of 27364, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
wiretap wrote:

Downloading the whole Stason.org TULARC website for my personal archive. (tons of retro hardware info like motherboard models, diagrams, jumper settings, video card info, I/O card info, etc) I'm using HTTrack for the download.. I'm at about half a gig worth of information right now and there's no end in sight, 🤣.

*scoffs derisively*

I recently downloaded the ENTIRE Packard Bell public FTP site recently in an attempt to find a manual and/or bios for a NEC Ready 9716. 60 gigs. It will accompany my Abit website mirror nicely.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 12081 of 27364, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:
wiretap wrote:

Downloading the whole Stason.org TULARC website for my personal archive. (tons of retro hardware info like motherboard models, diagrams, jumper settings, video card info, I/O card info, etc) I'm using HTTrack for the download.. I'm at about half a gig worth of information right now and there's no end in sight, 🤣.

*scoffs derisively*

I recently downloaded the ENTIRE Packard Bell public FTP site recently in an attempt to find a manual and/or bios for a NEC Ready 9716. 60 gigs. It will accompany my Abit website mirror nicely.

Nice. My new goals are along those lines.. Hoard all the data I can (and upload to archive.org) in case I need something in the future that is very difficult to find.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 12082 of 27364, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wiretap wrote:

Does the Stason website not have the same content as this ?:
http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=229&menustate=0

Reply 12083 of 27364, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
root42 wrote:
liqmat wrote:
It was considered awful and a rush job back in the day. I remember as a kid how disappointing the 2600 version was. The homebrew […]
Show full quote
appiah4 wrote:

How good (bad?) is the 2600 version of Pacman?

It was considered awful and a rush job back in the day. I remember as a kid how disappointing the 2600 version was. The homebrew version decades later looks MUCH better.

https://youtu.be/uqdcayWamRc

Same with Donkey Kong.

https://youtu.be/3PPoAXcuNxE

Wow, this is night and day. I definitely HAVE to get the homebrew version. Awesome!

Had to throw this your way. Indie Retro News just put this up today. There is a downloadable demo ROM of Galaga up on AtariAge. It looks incredible and TBH it's amazing how good it looks for the 2600. Shows you... right dev, right tools and amazing things can happen with very limited resources.

http://www.indieretronews.com/2019/06/galaga- … ming-atari.html

Reply 12084 of 27364, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I wanted to write a CD some driver +other useful programs. I did at 4x speed with Nero 6, but I must have messed up something, since my older (than XP) PCs can't read it and that's where it would be the most important. I tried to revrite it in my Pentium 4 build, but it failed at 98% and now I'm out of CDs.

I also reinstalled my ASUS L7200 with Windows 95. I can't install the network card (the driver would be on the previously mentioned CD) and wasn't lucky with the USB so far either. Otherwise it works as I imagined.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 12085 of 27364, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RandomStranger wrote:

Today I wanted to write a CD some driver +other useful programs. I did at 4x speed with Nero 6, but I must have messed up something, since my older (than XP) PCs can't read it and that's where it would be the most important. I tried to revrite it in my Pentium 4 build, but it failed at 98% and now I'm out of CDs.

My only good luck with CDs reading in older systems has been using Verbatim 52X CD-R's, with the SuperDrive in my MacBook Pro, writing at 10x speed. I haven't tried other types of CD-R's.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 12086 of 27364, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenmaster486 wrote:

My only good luck with CDs reading in older systems has been using Verbatim 52X CD-R's, with the SuperDrive in my MacBook Pro, writing at 10x speed. I haven't tried other types of CD-R's.

Yeah, I wrote probably the exact sameVerbatim yesterday at 8x speed with a bunch of Build engine games and it was alright. The one I wrote today what doesn't work. I should have started with the drivers 😵

Reply 12087 of 27364, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Someone gave me a 45 record so I was motivated to troubleshoot the big ol' Magnavox (looks similar to below) which didn't track too well the last time I tried it. I discovered the needle is a removable piece and it has a rubber bushing in it that had gone soft so instead of resting on the tip the whole head was basically laying on the record. Also looks like it's designed to play LPs with one side then it flips over to play 78s, not that I have any 78s. Got a replacement, put that in, and managed to play through several records without skipping once 😄

Attachments

• magpic.jpg
    Filename
    magpic.jpg
    File size
    6.93 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 12088 of 27364, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PARKE wrote:
wiretap wrote:

Does the Stason website not have the same content as this ?:
http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=229&menustate=0

I don't know, I haven't cross referenced everything. But I have that already too. 😎

My Github

Reply 12089 of 27364, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Received an Abit VP6 dual socket 370 board today off Ebay.. it was listed USED, which means fully functional per Ebay descriptions. Seller description said it wasn't tested in a few years but was working when it was pulled. Seller description said AS-IS and no returns (which if it is listed as Used/working, that would mean it just comes as it is shown with no accessories, etc) Well, I tested it out today and it is deader than a doornail. Tested it with a few different processors (even with a single processor + terminator socket in the other). No post, no beeps, no codes shown on a POST card. Tried different RAM, different video cards, nothing. Filed an Ebay dispute. I don't know why people just don't list things as "For Parts or Not Working".. very frustrating.

My Github

Reply 12090 of 27364, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, sold untested and as-is really means "I've tested it and it doesn't work, but lets pretend otherwise, some sucker who still has some faith in humanity will snap it up".

I try to avoid things like that. Been burned a few times. Usually get money back.

However, I am more likely to bite if it was being sold for cheap. Sometimes fun to take a punt, especially on old fully assembled systems.

Reply 12091 of 27364, by pixel_workbench

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got a 100% overclock on a s775 Pentium e2140. 1.6GHz -> 3.2GHz.
Using a cheap Foxconn G45M board, stock cooling, and no crazy voltage.
If anything deserves to be a spiritual Celeron 300A successor, this would be it, not that lame Anniversary Edition Pentium G3258.

Attachments

• e2140 oc.png
    Filename
    e2140 oc.png
    File size
    17.94 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

My Videos | Website
P2 400 unlocked / Asus P3B-F / Voodoo3 3k / MX300 + YMF718

Reply 12092 of 27364, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RandomStranger wrote:

I also reinstalled my ASUS L7200 with Windows 95. I can't install the network card (the driver would be on the previously mentioned CD) and wasn't lucky with the USB so far either. Otherwise it works as I imagined.

Damn, I forgot that I can just transfer files through the LPT prot. It's not gigabit ethernet, but at least does the job for small files like drivers.

Reply 12093 of 27364, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Received a Memory Card for the PS1 I bought recently, as the one I got with it was dead, nothing would work. I tested out the new card, made a couple of saves and it was working fine.

So just for curiosity I decided to see what would happen if I tried to copy game saves from the new card to the "dead" card.... and it just copied fine and both cards are now working perfectly ok. 😕 😕 😕 😕

Reply 12094 of 27364, by Zero_sugar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I slapped in my new ti500 in my Tualatin rig to replace the ti4200 that was in it. Didn't update any drivers or do a clean install. ti500 performed about on par with the ti4200 in Quake3 and 3Dmark2000, but lagged behind a little with 3Dmark2001. My Windows98 computer is finally complete. A perfect Q4 2001 PC.

Reply 12095 of 27364, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RandomStranger wrote:
RandomStranger wrote:

Damn, I forgot that I can just transfer files through the LPT prot. It's not gigabit ethernet, but at least does the job for small files like drivers.

I used LPT to transfer Windows 95 onto a Thinkpad 760e, and it worked great until some idiot stepped on it and shattered the screen.

If thinking counts as doing, I've been trying to think up more early-nineties-appropriate wallpaper designs (without the need for classic-style 3D rendering), and maybe more Windows 3 icons, but the 192 I already made have just about completely burned me out.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 12096 of 27364, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tested a Matrox Mystique. No POST at first, then spotted two of the pins for the memory expansion were touching. Fixed that and it worked fine. Now running X-VESA to check RAM is all OK.

Unfortunately managed to break a 3.5mm jack when turning the PC. Unusually I do actually have a spare for that cable type (1x 3.5mm stereo to 2x 6.3mm mono 1.5m length), but of course I just completed cable management that I now will have to redo 🙁

Reply 12097 of 27364, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

130 sounds about right for a 386DX, time to resotre it into one as such 😀

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 12098 of 27364, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not "today" but for the last month I've been redoing my ISA/VLB/PCI graphic cards (PCI only for the reference) benchmarks on a VIP 486 motherboard with AMD X5-133. So far 68 results with around 40 different cards from basic OAK 256KB to highend 4MB VRAM cards. Benchmarks include DOS (3DBench, PCP, DOOM, Quake, SpeedSys VESA speed, DrHardware BUS speed) and Windows 95 OSR2 (Winbench 3.11 in 640x480x8-bit and 16-bit modes) performance.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 12099 of 27364, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^^^ I would like to see the spreadsheet, or results, posted 😉

I prepared some filthy computers for retrobrighting:

3nkKhv3l.jpg

ftFPdJ4l.jpg

SWg9g67l.jpg

I'm gonna have to repaint the desktop metal case cover - it's rusted in a few spots.

The tower has a bunch of weird localized yellowing. I wonder if it was a smoker's PC before.

Anyways, these and a 17 inch CRT are going to get retrobrighted whenever there's some sun available.

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!