VOGONS

Reply 8800 of 27364, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Personal space! It's a thing!

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 8801 of 27364, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ugh, wrestling with an awful PCI SATA controller (SYBA SD-SATA3112-150R). I've never managed to get this to do what I want yet, and tonight was no exception - damned thing worked fine in my Via ApolloPro133A test system, but despite being recognized, assigned an IRQ and being able to access its BIOS, my BX system didn't manage to finish booting with this in the system. Almost suspect PCI version incompatibility, but if that were the case I'd be surprised that it would did work enough to enter its BIOS.

Anyway, I now have the most mismatched I/O I can recall running: an Intel X25E 64GB SLC SSD - connected to the BX's regular ATA-33 via a cheapo SATA-IDE (Marvell-based) converter. At least I know the disk won't be a bottleneck. For anything 😉

Reply 8802 of 27364, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
debs3759 wrote:

Personal space! It's a thing!

True that... I hate being viewed, as a display item or toy like that. (and this was second time this week)

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 8803 of 27364, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got an IBM Aptiva in the mail today. Pics here https://imgur.com/a/lBVYuDG

Bumped it up to 64MB RAM and put in a NIC. Replaced the MWave of course 😀

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 8804 of 27364, by s3freak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Listening to Ed Sheeran, Divide, on CD, using Cubic Player, on my 486 PC, that is built around the same motherboard as my first ever PC, but with significant upgrades.

Ed Sheeran copy.jpg
Filename
Ed Sheeran copy.jpg
File size
1.34 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

My 486 is my real DOSBox, as well as my customised DOSBox!
I am not very active on VOGONS, please send a private message if you need a quicker response!

Reply 8805 of 27364, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
s3freak wrote:

Listening to Ed Sheeran, Divide, on CD, using Cubic Player, on my 486 PC, that is built around the same motherboard as my first ever PC, but with significant upgrades.

The attachment Ed Sheeran copy.jpg is no longer available

Not sure what I am looking at (spectral analysis? or just random visualiser?), but it sure is pretty! 😎

20180603_172754.jpg
Filename
20180603_172754.jpg
File size
222.78 KiB
Views
File license

As for me, I was playing with my recently acquired Tandon (AT plus Hercules): created new CF "disk" for it, set up the environment, added some games, experimented a bit with CGA emulation on Hercules, played a few games just for old times' sake. It was great!

20180603_173102-COLLAGE.jpg
Filename
20180603_173102-COLLAGE.jpg
File size
181.14 KiB
Views
File license

Can you recognize all four?... You probably can, these are easy.

Reply 8806 of 27364, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Damn... had built my MS-6168 board into its intended case, installed Win2k on the stupidly overkill SSD, gotten everything running smoothly but just as I wanted to get updates ready, the thing started rebooting madly. First suspicion was the PSU (235W CWT isn't exactly the best on earth), but behaviour unchanged on a known-good 250W FSP. Next I started suspecting both the caps I replaced and the others I didn't. But then I noticed that it actually told me it was shutting down before doing so. That sounded somewhat more controlled than expected with dead components. On a hunch I disconnected the power button: yep, problem solved. Looks like that button needs a little TLC 😮

Reply 8807 of 27364, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After multiple delays due to various equipment failures I finally managed to upload my indepth overview and review of the HP Vectra VL400 Minitower I got while working for a local tax corp. If anyone wants some good morning light viewing the video is live here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAT_PgiG3FE&t=47s

This video really served as a test for different camera angles and my new tripod. Learned alot, the next one should be better.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 8808 of 27364, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yesterday, while getting ready to retire my HP DC7800 from daily usage, I've managed to transfer the Visual C++ 6.0 runtime installer to my Toshiba Tecra 720CDT laptop through the means of splitting the installer (which in whole is 1.72MB) to fit on two 1.44MB floppy disks by using HJSplit. A few months ago when I got every driver installed on that laptop, the Toshiba LED Indicator driver would trigger an "A required file, MFC42.DLL, was not found" error upon startup, online searching showed that in order to fix this error on Windows 95, the Visual C++ 6.0 runtime is needed. Once I got the runtime installed, the Toshiba LED Indicator tray icon would finally work.

For future reference, the Visual C++ 6.0 Runtime installer is "vc6redistsetup_enu.exe", a series of online searching has lead me to a working download link for this file.

Also, I got around to testing the Toshiba laptop's (Crystal CS4237) sound chipset for DOS gaming usage, after changing the IRQ from 9 to 5 (had to do this twice), I managed to get sound to work on a few of the DOS games I've thrown on it, although for some reason I get sound effects but not music in Doom, it's probably because the FM synthesizer is set to 318h for the I/O Address by default, maybe setting that to the usual 388h will fix it.

Reply 8809 of 27364, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not really done a lot of retro stuff over the past couple of weeks, as I've been busy fixing and upgrading stuff with my home network & audio system setups. Plus, still waiting on an RF modulator that I ordered to connect my XT to, for no other reason than it was cheap and why not try it.

I did receive 2 laptops for free today from a friend of the family. They're not retro though, simply "old" from towards the end of the Intel Core 2 era. I was given them for "parts" essentially and so I expected them both to be broken and figured I'd just strip out the HDD & RAM etc.

The laptops didn't come with power adapters so I scoured my collection of power adapters and luckily found matching power supplies for both laptops.

I decided to test them out and to my surprise both laptops are working fine, though both clearly need a clean reinstall of the OS (currently both running Windows 7, stuffed full of crap). 1 of them looks like it may have been dropped, with broken/missing plastic by screen and missing keys on the keyboard, whilst the other has the front plastic door of it's DVD drive missing. But other than those cosmetic issues, they're both working good and the batteries still have life in them.

Like I say, specs are not really retro:
Laptop 1 has Intel Celeron Dual-Core T3300 @ 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM
Laptop 2 has Intel Pentium Dual-Core T4400 @ 2.20GHz, 3GB RAM.

Both have crappy Intel Onboard Graphics, though I might be able to encourage at least 1 of them to suffice for some mid-late 2000s games (on low settings), as well as earlier games + DOSBOX for taking around to a friends house for some drunken LAN gaming. 🤣

Reply 8811 of 27364, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@PC Hoarder Patrol : no politics here 🤣

I finally got further with my Amiga ! The fdd is fixed, I added 1MB of chip RAM and it now have a 1GB hdd with workbench 2.1 on it.

Now I need new feets, new screws, a backspace and del key and then .. profit 😀

Well not quite yet actually : when booting, it sometimes throw a software error 8000 0003. I think it does this when the chip ram upgrade is installed. Maybe the connector needs a good cleanup ?

Also RGB output is oscillating between normal colors and blue tinted screen. But the composite is fine. Probably some left over damage after the caps leakage.
Oh and by the way, I still need to replace the audio caps, but I need more soldering tools

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 8812 of 27364, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finished upgrading my Pentium 4 Win98/XP Retro Gaming Machine to near perfection (maybe more RAM later on?, but the XP games I'm going to play on it, I doubt I need more than 1GB 😀 ). Check it out here: Pentium 4 Windows 98 SE/XP Retro Gaming Machine: My Second (and to Date Most Problematic) Retro Build

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 8813 of 27364, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks to @Deksor ( 😀 😀 ), made a placard 🤣

Keep-politics-out-of-retro-support-vogons.jpg
Filename
Keep-politics-out-of-retro-support-vogons.jpg
File size
31.95 KiB
Views
File license
Last edited by PC Hoarder Patrol on 2018-06-09, 15:52. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 8815 of 27364, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tidied up my 15 kHz gaming cabinet. I didn't take a 'before' pic but it previously looked really ugly, with cables hanging out the front everywhere, a power bar on the floor, and stuff jammed into the cubbyholes at odd angles. I had to drill/cut a bunch of cable through-holes in the back panel but I think the result is quite neat:

15kHzcab1.jpg
Filename
15kHzcab1.jpg
File size
271.46 KiB
Views
File license

The power bar is now behind the consoles on the lower shelf. All the controllers are in the cabinet, all the consoles are now on a video switch, and everything got a good dusting. It was only supposed to be an hour job but I kept finding more & more stuff to do and suddenly HOLY crap it's 7PM and I need to get some food in me. 😜

Some close-ups if you wanna peruse:

15kHzcab2.jpg
Filename
15kHzcab2.jpg
File size
478.77 KiB
Views
File license
15kHzcab3.jpg
Filename
15kHzcab3.jpg
File size
247.84 KiB
Views
File license

The PS2 and Xbox are in another room hooked up to an HDTV, and there should be a Megadrive there too when I get around to putting it back. Incidentally the PC is an old P4 with an AGP HD3850 hooked up via S-video, it has a bunch of emulators and some 98/XP games (Unreal, NFS, etc.) on it.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 8817 of 27364, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't want two 3DOs!

(They are slightly different in a very important way ... look closer. 😉 )

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 8818 of 27364, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heh, I just know it's a console that didn't work out too well for EA, that's all, but, then again, that doesn't mean it didn't have great games for itself. I just don't know too many of them. 😀

As for the difference, I knew that 3DOs were made by several different manufacturers (Panasonic being one of them). My next question is, why do you have a "3DO Testing Station"?

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 8819 of 27364, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
the_ultra_code wrote:

Heh, I just know it's a console that didn't work out too well for EA, that's all, but, then again, that doesn't mean it didn't have great games for itself. I just don't know too many of them. 😀

As for the difference, I knew that 3DOs were made by several different manufacturers (Panasonic being one of them). My next question is, why do you have a "3DO Testing Station"?

The 3DO is kind-of my favorite console. It has just the right mix of quirkiness (in the games), obscurity, and not-quite-doing-it-right-but-we're-doing-it-anyway attitude for me. It doesn't have the biggest game library & a lot of the ones that came out for it were unplayable rubbish, but there are quite a few true gems in there.

The Testing Station is ... well, not really a 'dev kit', but it was a developer model that could play unencrypted games. Retail discs are encrypted & signed, but back in the day that was done in a secret room at the 3DO Company that like three people had the key for (seriously!) So if you were in the middle of making a game and just wanted to test your WIP build, you could just burn it to CD-R and toss it in one of these and it would play.