VOGONS

Reply 11140 of 27430, by bandicoot67

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Finished mounting a 1995 Mech Warrior 2 shop promo poster to some ply wood with bits n pieces stripped from a dead older style plasma TV.
Its worked out ok i guess.

Attachments

• mech1.jpg
    Filename
    mech1.jpg
    File size
    1.81 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • mech3.jpg
    Filename
    mech3.jpg
    File size
    1.8 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • mech4.jpg
    Filename
    mech4.jpg
    File size
    1.8 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • mech1A.jpg
    Filename
    mech1A.jpg
    File size
    1.76 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 11141 of 27430, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
kaputnik wrote:

Got my 3D printer assembled and up and running the other day, been working on a simple 3D printable I/O shield this morning. First blank prototype printed:

Now off to fine tune size, hadn't taken thermal expansion into account, and make connector cutout templates.

Oh, and will gladly share the models once they're done 😀

Oh nice, what material are you printing it with?

Would be very happy if you would share the model for blank, AT and old style ATX backplates 😀

Decided not to do separate models for different materials, it's easiest to just scale it in the slicer to compensate for thermal expansion. The model got the desired dimensions. 100.5% scale was good for ABS (which I used during testing) in my printer. Haven't tried PLA, but it should do with less scaling, since its thermal expansion coefficient is lower, and it prints at lower temperatures.

io3.jpg
Filename
io3.jpg
File size
111.83 KiB
Views
File license

Attached the blank model (Inventor model + .stl export).
What do you mean by AT and old style ATX backplates? Is the latter one for that connector configuration just about all mobos had back when ATX was relatively new?

Edit: also added another version of the blank shield, with recesses letting it snap into place in the cutout:

io4.jpg
Filename
io4.jpg
File size
21.35 KiB
Views
File license

Attachments

• Filename
    blankIOshield.zip
    File size
    269.32 KiB
    Downloads
    67 downloads
    File license

Reply 11142 of 27430, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:

Playing with SCSI. I get just under 8ms seek time and some 33 to 35 megabyte a second transfer rate, on these IBM Ultrastar 9gb 10k RPM's running on a Pentium-166. I used a 68pin cable and an Asus PCI Controller.

IMG_20190211_210654210.jpg

SCSI seems awesome - it took me a good 20 years to finally sniff around and buy drives and controllers. Unfortunately I got several 80pin ones and only one 68pin one which fits the cards I purchased. On the downside the controllers with the cache modules do not work in Win98... so I'm left with one 2940UW.

How to get the drives working in DOS when using the 2940(which seems the most compatible/common)?

Reply 11143 of 27430, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

'SCSI seems awesome' - that's an idealised overview of someone that's never used it, that's for sure.

Yes, it can be quite good *if* all the devices work together, you have decent cables, no termination issues, and decent drivers. Not to mention the huge variety of cables, and adapting from one SCSI standard to another. The whole SCSI stack is too large under DOS to effectively use, it's basically limited to protected mode operating systems.

It was generally a happy day when parallel SCSI went away (not to mention odd stuff such as FC AL)

Reply 11144 of 27430, by Whelmy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got a pentium 200mhz today to test on the unisys aquanta sc. Officially it only supports up to 166mhz but I figured well there's another combonation of jumpers that could be used that are not listed on the diagram so let's test that shall we.

IMG_0467.JPG
Filename
IMG_0467.JPG
File size
194.42 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_0469.JPG
Filename
IMG_0469.JPG
File size
159.78 KiB
Views
File license

Success 😀

Reply 11145 of 27430, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Whelmy wrote:
Got a pentium 200mhz today to test on the unisys aquanta sc. Officially it only supports up to 166mhz but I figured well there's […]
Show full quote

Got a pentium 200mhz today to test on the unisys aquanta sc. Officially it only supports up to 166mhz but I figured well there's another combonation of jumpers that could be used that are not listed on the diagram so let's test that shall we.

IMG_0467.JPG
IMG_0469.JPG

Success 😀

I think it's great you got the system running at 200MHz, but please... hold your hand still on those photos.

Reply 11147 of 27430, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ouch, man. Have you used a tripod, and is it a digital camera?

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 11149 of 27430, by Xicor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kaputnik wrote:
Decided not to do separate models for different materials, it's easiest to just scale it in the slicer to compensate for thermal […]
Show full quote
appiah4 wrote:
kaputnik wrote:

Got my 3D printer assembled and up and running the other day, been working on a simple 3D printable I/O shield this morning. First blank prototype printed:

Now off to fine tune size, hadn't taken thermal expansion into account, and make connector cutout templates.

Oh, and will gladly share the models once they're done 😀

Oh nice, what material are you printing it with?

Would be very happy if you would share the model for blank, AT and old style ATX backplates 😀

Decided not to do separate models for different materials, it's easiest to just scale it in the slicer to compensate for thermal expansion. The model got the desired dimensions. 100.5% scale was good for ABS (which I used during testing) in my printer. Haven't tried PLA, but it should do with less scaling, since its thermal expansion coefficient is lower, and it prints at lower temperatures.

The attachment io3.jpg is no longer available

Attached the blank model (Inventor model + .stl export).
What do you mean by AT and old style ATX backplates? Is the latter one for that connector configuration just about all mobos had back when ATX was relatively new?

Edit: also added another version of the blank shield, with recesses letting it snap into place in the cutout:

The attachment io4.jpg is no longer available
kfd5b.jpg
Filename
kfd5b.jpg
File size
94.1 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 11150 of 27430, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Xicor wrote:
The attachment kfd5b.jpg is no longer available

Thanks 😀

Printed a shield with cutouts for the 440LX board sitting in my test rig, finished a few moments ago, still on cooldown:

xXtFWV5.jpg
Filename
xXtFWV5.jpg
File size
99.31 KiB
Views
File license

Wonder if it fits? Quite hard to get the measurements right :>

Reply 11151 of 27430, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
amadeus777999 wrote:
brostenen wrote:

Playing with SCSI. I get just under 8ms seek time and some 33 to 35 megabyte a second transfer rate, on these IBM Ultrastar 9gb 10k RPM's running on a Pentium-166. I used a 68pin cable and an Asus PCI Controller.

IMG_20190211_210654210.jpg

SCSI seems awesome - it took me a good 20 years to finally sniff around and buy drives and controllers. Unfortunately I got several 80pin ones and only one 68pin one which fits the cards I purchased. On the downside the controllers with the cache modules do not work in Win98... so I'm left with one 2940UW.

How to get the drives working in DOS when using the 2940(which seems the most compatible/common)?

This:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nk … sacat=0&_sop=15

Just pick those that can be used for both 68 and 50 pin controllers.
In Dos I am using different controllers, both PCI and ISA types. I only have 50-pin when we are talking about ISA, yet I have an Asus that can be used for both 68 and 50 pin cables. (not simultaniously)

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 11152 of 27430, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Didn't turn out too bad after all 😀

IMG_20190212_211604.jpg
Filename
IMG_20190212_211604.jpg
File size
160.71 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 11153 of 27430, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ynari wrote:

'SCSI seems awesome' - that's an idealised overview of someone that's never used it, that's for sure.

Yes, it can be quite good *if* all the devices work together, you have decent cables, no termination issues, and decent drivers. Not to mention the huge variety of cables, and adapting from one SCSI standard to another. The whole SCSI stack is too large under DOS to effectively use, it's basically limited to protected mode operating systems.

It was generally a happy day when parallel SCSI went away (not to mention odd stuff such as FC AL)

Most if not all of my drives, have internal termantors. It can be set by a jumper. That goes for all my Cd-Rom drives, even my old 50-pin 4x speed Plextor that uses caddie's. My Zip drive (50-Pin) have internal terminator as well, and my IBM have auto termination as far as I remember. They must have, as I use no terminator on that 68-Pin cable.

EDIT:
Yes... It IS awesomme technology. Yet like you mention, it comes down to the drives. Avoid loud drives, and drives that put out too much heat. The technology in it self are so much more awesomme than IDE, because the way you do the setup, are so much more awesomme.

Last edited by brostenen on 2019-02-12, 20:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11154 of 27430, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kaputnik wrote:

IMG_20190212_211604.jpg

TOTALLY AWESOMME.... 😮 😜

Reply 11155 of 27430, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I should get me a 3D printer and make an I/O shield for an AT motherboard or for the motherboard my brother has since the I/O shield went missing on there.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 11156 of 27430, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kaputnik wrote:

IMG_20190212_211604.jpg

Amazing job. Now please make one for AT motherboards and post the file 😉

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 11157 of 27430, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kaputnik wrote:

IMG_20190212_211604.jpg

That's excellent 😁

Well done making that so accurately and thank you for sharing the STL files for it, I have a couple of boards I need to make something similar for, that I'd rather 3D print than try to make myself. Some of the designs on Thingiverse etc are quite good, but yours looks like it's designed very well, so I'll use that instead.
I bought a few blank panels, but cutting the shapes of a few of the ports is too difficult for me.

Reply 11158 of 27430, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Noice. Any thoughts on an outer conductive coating? Apparently carbon and acrylic are a good, inexpensive solution.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 11159 of 27430, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's... something. I think it's a crime against humanity. It shouldn't be allowed.

I still had this bit of wire from the terrible heatsink inside a Compaq machine I salvaged the CPU from.

BpSTEFjl.png

I also had this AIO sitting around that I found ages ago inside a Noctua box.

The two items ended up in the same room together and I got to thinking...

Turns out that nicely bent piece of wire can be used to mount other types of cooling devices to Socket 7 CPUs.

616UWiUl.jpg JVwTBPql.jpg

m3ao845l.jpg

pa8TIHRl.jpg

zEvMzAgl.jpg

SmGTljtl.jpg

l5nDdUtl.jpg

Stock heatsink for scale. 🙄

SBgry1vl.jpg

Sure beats having to cut out sheet metal for mounting stupid things to CPUs. 🤣

I can confirm it stays on when the board is vertical and the radiator is fastened or supported by something else.

This has been today's pointless retro exercise. Unless I end up actually using it. 😵