Most of my work has been on the NEC Versa 40EC 486 DX2-40 laptop.
- hinge fixed with JB Weld and working great, the J.B. weld matches the case a bit
- autopsy before wipe showed it belonged to a Ford engineer....that's awesome, I love my 90s Ford...so only fitting I have a "Ford" laptop too. Might need a classy blue Oval, 🤣.
- wiped ALL data off per my own ethics, original 250MB HDD is in amazing shape, no bad sectors. Still running the original OS like ad though - MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1 for NEC Devices....but reset to a "clean" state and tuned for my own electronic engineering on guitar pedals and maybe Amps with Circuitmaker 6.1.
- game Dev apps added (GameMaker, AGS, Graf-X II, CIA)
- only my favorite games installed (Monkey Island 1&2, Ultima 6, Tank Wars, Mario & Luigi, Microlink Yahtzee, Wolfenstein 3d, and sharedata Game Show games + NESticle and some choice RPGs).
- Ultima 6 got corrupted during transfer using mTCP FTP ( probably have something wrong in the config file) using my 486 desktop and a 44 pin to 40 pin IDE adapter. So I "spoon fed" the entire working install from my 486 DTs SSD to the laptop...works great.
Things to do...
- new CR2430 CMOS battery
- new suspend battery
- new main battery + rebuild old
- PCMCIA wifi (Orinoco gold I think)
- wfwg 311 upgrade
- 8GB SSD upgrade for upgraded config and reliability in the future
A pic as it is now....