VOGONS

Reply 18620 of 27185, by fool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got april fooled by Futuremark running 3DMark99 😂

Real score is somewhere around 3200+. Tried to beat random 3DMark crash. Played a bit with Ali AGP config using "normal" setting this strange score occured.

Attachments

• 99max.JPG
    Filename
    99max.JPG
    File size
    207.7 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Toshiba T8500 desktop
SAM/CS9233 Wavetable Synthesizer daughterboard
Coming: 40-pin 8MB SIMM kit, CS4232 ISA wavetable sound card

Reply 18621 of 27185, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ordered this little Crash game & demos collection (not the computer or joystick) last week and finally got around to testing some of them out today -

2gJSRbPh.jpg

Almost everything I've tried has worked so far, only a couple of games failed - which is pretty good considering the age of the tapes. My ZX Spectrum tape collection was pretty small, so these Crash compilations bulk it out a little and should provide some amusement.

Also today, been testing out the Super 64/ED64 Plus Chinese Everdrive I received for my N64. I've never had issues with the cheaper Chinese clones for other systems and this is no exception, it works flawlessly with all region N64 ROMs and the NES emulation is also fully functional.

Reply 18622 of 27185, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That socket 370 pin soldering is amazing precision work, very nicely done!
Scary stuff too, I have tried that before myself and ended up just ruining the pad.

This isn't a 'today' activity, but today I can use it - I got tired of trying to find an MT-32, so I printed one 😁

IMG_0820-2.jpg
Filename
IMG_0820-2.jpg
File size
1.11 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

It's got a raspberry pi 3 in there, with a proper DAC on it and MIDI input. More pictures here. It's designed to live in there permanently with the SD card accessible from underneath. It started off as a mess, became tidier. Now it's finished! (version 1 is finished... files will be shared once I make fixes and make a real PCB layout that people can make)

It sounds and works really well, having the extra buttons and finally a shape that holds it together is much nicer.

Reply 18623 of 27185, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's cute. Wish I had a 3D printer myself so I can make custom brackets for an EGA card and XT-FDC card for my Compaq Portable 1 system.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 18624 of 27185, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Thermalwrong wrote on 2021-04-02, 17:20:
That socket 370 pin soldering is amazing precision work, very nicely done! Scary stuff too, I have tried that before myself and […]
Show full quote

Scary stuff too, I have tried that before myself and ended up just ruining the pad.

This isn't a 'today' activity, but today I can use it - I got tired of trying to find an MT-32, so I printed one 😁

IMG_0820-2.jpg

It's got a raspberry pi 3 in there, with a proper DAC on it and MIDI input. More pictures here. It's designed to live in there permanently with the SD card accessible from underneath. It started off as a mess, became tidier. Now it's finished! (version 1 is finished... files will be shared once I make fixes and make a real PCB layout that people can make)

It sounds and works really well, having the extra buttons and finally a shape that holds it together is much nicer.

Amazing! I like the attitude "Theres not one so I made mine".

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 18625 of 27185, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I rebooted a motherboard of an Acer T630.
It is a Gigabyte 8TRS400M (775) with Pentium 4 531 (3GHz).
It has integrated video card of the ATi Xpress200, also the chipset is ATi RS400.
RAM: I use 3 modules of 512MB each, in total so they are 1.5GB, DDR667 CL5 from Micron (they were from an HP PC), and they go in dual channel.
Audio is integrated with ALC chip, LAN is also integrated 1Gigabit.
BIOS Phoenix Award version R01-A4 of 03/14/2005.
I currently use the integrated VGA, but if you want you can install a PCI-E 16X VGA if necessary.
The CPU could be upgraded, in theory you could put the Pentium D, but it seems that it is not supported by this MB, same thing for the Pentium Dual Core or the Duo E2XX0 or 4XX0 cores. Maybe if you have any news about Dual-Core CPU support, they interest me.

Attachments

AMD 286-16 287-10 4MB HD 45MB VGA 256KB
AMD 386DX-40 Intel 387 8MB HD 81MB VGA 256KB
Cyrix 486DLC-40 IIT387-40 8MB VGA 512KB
AMD 5X86-133 16MB VGA VLB CL5428 2MB and many others
AMD K62+ 550 SOYO 5EMA+ and many others
AST Pentium Pro 200 MHz L2 256KB

Reply 18626 of 27185, by mastergamma12

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
aha2940 wrote on 2021-03-30, 23:32:

Today I received a Pioneer DVR-108 DVD-RW, which is interesting (to me) because it is IDE. However the seller packed it poorly and the mail broke the open/close button. I had to desolder one from a broken LG unit and solder it into the Pioneer, but since this new button is shorter, I'll have to glue something to it so that the faceplate button can press it correctly.

Do they usually not come in IDE, my DVR-108 in my 98 rig's IDE.

NNH9pIh.png

The Tuala-Bus (My 9x/Dos Rig) (Pentium III-S 1.4ghz, AWE64G+Audigy 2 ZS, Voodoo5 5500, Chieftec Dragon Rambus)

The Final Lan Party (My Windows Xp/7 rig) (Core i7 980x, GTX 480,DFI Lanparty UT X58-T3eH8,)
Re: Post your 'current' PC

Reply 18627 of 27185, by MCGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
That socket 370 pin soldering is amazing precision work, very nicely done! Scary stuff too, I have tried that before myself and […]
Show full quote

IMG_0820-2.jpg

That's awesome! This is something I definitely want to do, but it will be a mess as I don't have a 3d printer. Wondering if I can use the Pi Pico? Oh yeah, the Pico has no audio out. 😀

Reply 18628 of 27185, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Installing Mac OS X "Kodiak" Developer Preview 2 on QEMU as of right now. Fingers crossed for a successfull install...

EDIT: Success... Yay!

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 18629 of 27185, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bruninho wrote on 2021-04-03, 02:50:

Installing Mac OS X "Kodiak" Developer Preview 2 on QEMU as of right now. Fingers crossed for a successfull install...

Have fun with the version of OSX that is explicitly just OpenSTEP with a classic mac os paintjob.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 18630 of 27185, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mastergamma12 wrote on 2021-04-02, 22:42:

Today I received a Pioneer DVR-108 DVD-RW, which is interesting (to me) because it is IDE. However the seller packed it poorly and the mail broke the open/close button. I had to desolder one from a broken LG unit and solder it into the Pioneer, but since this new button is shorter, I'll have to glue something to it so that the faceplate button can press it correctly.

Hi, yes DVR-108 is IDE usually AFAIK, however what I meant is not that the model is interesting, just the fact that it is an IDE Dual-Layer DVD writer, which are very rare where I live.

Reply 18631 of 27185, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BetaC wrote on 2021-04-03, 03:17:
Bruninho wrote on 2021-04-03, 02:50:

Have fun with the version of OSX that is explicitly just OpenSTEP with a classic mac os paintjob.

Yeah I know, this is the reason why I attempted it. Just for my curiosity! heh.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 18632 of 27185, by mastergamma12

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
aha2940 wrote on 2021-04-03, 03:43:
mastergamma12 wrote on 2021-04-02, 22:42:

Hi, yes DVR-108 is IDE usually AFAIK, however what I meant is not that the model is interesting, just the fact that it is an IDE Dual-Layer DVD writer, which are very rare where I live.

Ah

NNH9pIh.png

The Tuala-Bus (My 9x/Dos Rig) (Pentium III-S 1.4ghz, AWE64G+Audigy 2 ZS, Voodoo5 5500, Chieftec Dragon Rambus)

The Final Lan Party (My Windows Xp/7 rig) (Core i7 980x, GTX 480,DFI Lanparty UT X58-T3eH8,)
Re: Post your 'current' PC

Reply 18633 of 27185, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
adalbert wrote on 2021-04-01, 22:53:

Soldered some CPU pins, I found using a long and thin stainless steel tube as a good way to keep the pins centered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4JRmWd8bw4

solder-pin.jpg

That is amazing and a skill I must learn!

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 18634 of 27185, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Show full quote

IMG_0820-2.jpg

My own Pi-32 is in a regular Pi case with no DAC but I look forward to seeing this project and replicate it for a much better execution!

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 18635 of 27185, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MCGA wrote on 2021-04-03, 01:38:
Show full quote

IMG_0820-2.jpg

That's awesome! This is something I definitely want to do, but it will be a mess as I don't have a 3d printer. Wondering if I can use the Pi Pico? Oh yeah, the Pico has no audio out. 😀

The Pi Pico is a bit too low spec for emulating the audio synthesis of the MT32 right now 😀
It needs a Pi3 or later to fully emulate the MT32's original hardware

appiah4 wrote on 2021-04-03, 08:37:
Show full quote

IMG_0820-2.jpg

My own Pi-32 is in a regular Pi case with no DAC but I look forward to seeing this project and replicate it for a much better execution!

Cool, I'll have to finish up version 2 and share the files, most of the parts are off the shelf but the button PCB and the MIDI/DAC PCB are going to need custom designs for other people to be able to make this easily. It shouldn't be too tough, I've made stuff in Eagle before. Need to finish up a case for another thing first though 😁

Reply 18636 of 27185, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I realised that modern Windows Media Player with its play speed settings can slow down MIDI files without the huge reduction in quality you would get from MP3s or whatever. I've been trying to get my head around Golden Brown by the Stranglers and this has sort of helped!

Attachments

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 18637 of 27185, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Managed to revive my good ol' ASUS P4G8X thats been semi-dead for years.
For some reason it used to hang during post, and nothing i did seemed to do anything.
Gave it another go today, reflashed the BIOS (for the hundredth time), cleared CMOS.
And presto, POST's ok!
So the rest of the day I've been torturing it with various configurations to see if ts OK.
And unfortunately the gbit broadcom NIC is just as crappy today as it was back in the day.....

Well I'm happy its not junk.
I really like the E7205 and the history behind it.

BTW, bought the board new with then new cool 3.06GHz HT.

Reply 18638 of 27185, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Swapped the bios chips between those 2 cards, no picture out of the Sun card with the Asus bios...

ati-rage2-sun.jpg
Filename
ati-rage2-sun.jpg
File size
223.11 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 18639 of 27185, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Brought up my old pirated game CDs and DVDs from the basement. I thought I save disk images from them until they can be read. Some of them are unavailable legally or the prices are outrageous.
I also ordered a copy of Prey (2006) off of eBay from the UK for 7.5GBP with shipping.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png