VOGONS

Reply 19920 of 20193, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I was gonna do a whole big thing, but I've had little time, so I figured I would throw a few pics up. Tested a ton of RAM and a few HDs and CDs/DVDs.

And then there's a brace of these:

!DT505A.jpg
Filename
!DT505A.jpg
File size
68.77 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

They don't power up, but I haven't had time to take them down and check. Missing a few minor bits but nothing apparently critical. One has a very small crack on the screen, so I don't know what to do about that yet.

On the other hand, this works:

!P133-1.jpg
Filename
!P133-1.jpg
File size
208.75 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

AST Pentium 133 from the "funky proprietary backplane design" era, in this case apparently not to make the case smaller, but just because, hey, backplanes! CPU is good, RAM is good, replaced optical drive, was missing PSU and I have to get a switch that works properly with this case. Has built-in S3 Trio64 V+ "Turbo," Turbo apparently meaning "with less RAM" in this context. I even found out that if you go back to Hiren's boot CD version 5.0, it will boot on these 90s machines.

Seriously, this case was designed by a maniac. It's got more interdependent parts in its assembly than a Volvo. Easy 9-step processes everywhere! I'll get more detailed pics later.

I'm also glad I got a picture of this label before I found out that it's basically watercolor (or early inkjet printed on plastic film), because one swipe while cleaning wiped half of this out and it was gone.

!ASTLabel.jpg
Filename
!ASTLabel.jpg
File size
42.26 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

So a reminder that just because it looks solid and it lasted 25 years doesn't mean it *is* solid. Also it was apparently never cleaned before.

!DriveRail.jpg
Filename
!DriveRail.jpg
File size
75.42 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Miraculously, drive rails were included, and this is my first attempt at reproducing them. I chose a 2-part design because of the shape of it, and the fact that the "arm" has to bend. I planned on using screws, and still might, but on looking at it I could probably print a pin and use it to reinforce superglue - I wasn't confident that just superglue on the flat surfaces would work that great.

I didn't get pictures yet, but I got an Athlon XP-based HP as well. Had planned to do something else today, but here I am playing with my train set.

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 19921 of 20193, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Attempted to fix the CFW on my PSP-2001 and it decided to not boot anymore and the display is a mess (got it cleaned off internally, but I'm not sure if it works due to the system not working ATM).

Pandora battery, here I come.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to FX-8350
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 19922 of 20193, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Merovign wrote on 2021-09-14, 23:27:

AST Pentium 133 from the "funky proprietary backplane design" era, ....
Seriously, this case was designed by a maniac. It's got more interdependent parts in its assembly than a Volvo. Easy 9-step processes everywhere! I'll get more detailed pics later.

Heh yeah, AST sneered at the clone makers back in the day, saying "The best technology they've got is a screwdriver" meaning they just used standard parts and screwed them together. So I guess they were out to prove they had 10 screwdrivers for every one the competition had 🤣 But yeah, designed and made their own platforms basically. They did seem to integrate stuff well and their machines tended towards faster and smoother than contemporary machines of same spec. But Holy. Freaking. Screws. though, assemblies needed assemblies to fit them to other assemblies, brackets and lugs were not part of these and were screwed on separately, and brackets had sub-brackets. It's almost like AST was originally a small metal pressings company and just requested manufacturers send them "some kind of motherboad" "some kind of PSU" etc then they fitted together all what they got with eleventy one little bits of metal. Back in the day, I got an AST 386 with a burned board, and due to repair/replacement being uneconomical as it was obsolete, you weren't randomly gonna come across anything that had a hope of fitting, I stripped the thing out entirely. I think I got a full cup measure of screws and small hardware out of it.

2017: Basement full of ancient PC stuff, starting to go through it. 2021: Still starting, heh, many setbacks. So what's this BitWrangler guy's deal ??? >>> Taming the pile, specs to target?

Reply 19924 of 20193, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
LewisRaz wrote on 2021-09-16, 16:58:
First attempt at retrobriting... Being hindered by the great british weather but it seems to be working slowly. […]
Show full quote

First attempt at retrobriting... Being hindered by the great british weather but it seems to be working slowly.

retrobrite.png

I would detach the acrylic plate before retrobrightning. I ruined one like this - it got some very minor cracks all over it's surface - like a spiderweb. Unless it's not an acrylic plate over the space the display should be?

Check out my YouTube channel - the Rusty Bits
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 19925 of 20193, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HanJammer wrote on 2021-09-16, 20:25:
LewisRaz wrote on 2021-09-16, 16:58:
First attempt at retrobriting... Being hindered by the great british weather but it seems to be working slowly. […]
Show full quote

First attempt at retrobriting... Being hindered by the great british weather but it seems to be working slowly.

retrobrite.png

I would detach the acrylic plate before retrobrightning. I ruined one like this - it got some very minor cracks all over it's surface - like a spiderweb. Unless it's not an acrylic plate over the space the display should be?

There is not one. The LCD display has its own that fits directly into that hole 😀

My retro pc youtube channel

Reply 19926 of 20193, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-09-16, 13:25:
Merovign wrote on 2021-09-14, 23:27:

AST Pentium 133 from the "funky proprietary backplane design" era, ....

Heh yeah, AST sneered at the clone makers back in the day, saying "The best technology they've got is a screwdriver" meaning they just used standard parts and screwed them together. So I guess they were out to prove they had 10 screwdrivers for every one the competition had 🤣 But yeah, designed and made their own platforms basically. They did seem to integrate stuff well and their machines tended towards faster and smoother than contemporary machines of same spec. But Holy. Freaking. Screws. though, assemblies needed assemblies to fit them to other assemblies, brackets and lugs were not part of these and were screwed on separately, and brackets had sub-brackets. It's almost like AST was originally a small metal pressings company and just requested manufacturers send them "some kind of motherboad" "some kind of PSU" etc then they fitted together all what they got with eleventy one little bits of metal. Back in the day, I got an AST 386 with a burned board, and due to repair/replacement being uneconomical as it was obsolete, you weren't randomly gonna come across anything that had a hope of fitting, I stripped the thing out entirely. I think I got a full cup measure of screws and small hardware out of it.

Yeah if part of it goes bad, it's kind of a loss. 😒 But fingers crossed.

I guess we'll see if that "faster and smoother" thing has any weight when I use it as a test platform for late-era DOS / early Windows benchmarking of my hardware from that era (mainly video cards). Eventually...

IIRC this chipset can do P60 to P233, and I have both, so that should be interesting as well. I have not tested this with this particular motherboard yet. I also need to fabricate a better CPU cooler for it, the airflow is not great for such a customized case (it has a small distribution fan between he upper and lower sections). I may do something about that airflow, or maybe I'm just always looking for an excuse to 3D print something, especially ducts for 120mm fans. 😀

Oh, and I fixed three keyboards today. The old IBM (membrane) was just in need of cleaning, the old Dell had some detritus stuck under the membrane that was making the zero key go off by itself, and the mechanical keyboard, which was newer, needed a new switch soldered on.

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 19927 of 20193, by Anders-

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
aha2940 wrote on 2021-09-12, 14:50:
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-09-08, 18:41:

Installing Lubuntu 10.10 on my AMDk6-2 400 rig with 256megs of ram. Why? Because I bloody well can.....😉

Just out of curiosity: what do you use an old Linux distro for? I understand using old Windows for games, but what can you run on an old Linux that you can't on a new one? honest question.

For running old (binary only) software and the nostalgia of it, I suppose.
Library dependencies, binary formats, etc. makes it difficult to run old programs on a new system.

Måttfull och balanserad.

Reply 19931 of 20193, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm troubleshooting an AOpen Vi9 motherboard that is kind of curious and important to me because it's a 386/486 combo board with VLB. It doesn't POST though. There is some battery damage I am fixing up, but I also noticed this strange solderjob on the chipset legs, it's as if two legs are soledered to a joint solderpad that go to the same via. Anyone think this is leftover from a botched repair attempt (and possibly root of the problem) or just something normal? Maybe they are both ground or something? I am not familiar with the chipset in question but the markings say it is an EFAR EC798.

Attachments

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 19932 of 20193, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can't find a datasheet for it, but it looks ok to me. The PCB trace looks to head for both of the pads, so must be meant to connect to both pins. It's also looks slightly thicker than the nearby traces so might be a ground or power connection, or a configuration pin.

OTOH, a thread here https://www.vcfed.org/forum/forum/genres/late … v3486ef-386-486 has a photo of the same chipset with those two pins with separate traces.

Reply 19933 of 20193, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Watching youtube videos of Louis R and Linus. Now listening to a scammer being scammed 🤣. All on ye Olde P4 running an old fashion computer operating system. 32-bit luv...😉

Attachments

• IMG_20210918_093251.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20210918_093251.jpg
    File size
    256.35 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Scammers.png
    Filename
    Scammers.png
    File size
    681.84 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 19934 of 20193, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-09-17, 09:16:

Of retro-compability, and therefore desktop market share. 😉

Not in my house hold...😉 And that is all I personally care about, not what others do.

How is Arch going for ya? Figured it out yet?

Reply 19935 of 20193, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Few days ago I retrobrited a VGA monitor

joEWUpb.jpg

Hyundai - came out better than the Pony I recently tried to use as a daily

bbSiJpK.jpg

(that's before I applied the retrobrite to it)

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? [https://www.ebay.ca/sch/the_kombinator/m.html … =1&_ipg=&_from=] my eBay! [/url]

Reply 19937 of 20193, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote on 2021-09-18, 06:37:

1000th page! Way to go, folks!

Cool. May there be many more.........😉

Reply 19938 of 20193, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2021-09-17, 09:42:

I'm troubleshooting an AOpen Vi9 motherboard that is kind of curious and important to me because it's a 386/486 combo board with VLB. It doesn't POST though. There is some battery damage I am fixing up, but I also noticed this strange solderjob on the chipset legs, it's as if two legs are soledered to a joint solderpad that go to the same via. Anyone think this is leftover from a botched repair attempt (and possibly root of the problem) or just something normal? Maybe they are both ground or something? I am not familiar with the chipset in question but the markings say it is an EFAR EC798.

Looks like the legs share a soldering surface and a route, so it's probably not a defect.

Reply 19939 of 20193, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's weird, I see 997 pages.

Need to plot out my "final collection," holes and all, later today. If I have time. Part of my problem is a lot of what I will likely keep are "cool surprises" and not part of a plan. Complications.

And I got my systems and video cards laid out (on paper) by year (short a few video cards in systems). Sound cards next, then a "what I need" list for controllers and NICs and what-have-you.

And if I'm very, very lucky I will get to moving some drives off the shelf into systems, clear up a little space.

*Too* *many* *things*!