VOGONS

Reply 22740 of 27185, by rkurbatov

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-09-21, 14:51:
So in the course of a few days of testing and reflashing this thing, I've gone from: […]
Show full quote

So in the course of a few days of testing and reflashing this thing, I've gone from:

1) boots to CF card but hangs on trying to do anything
2) detects CF card but hangs on boot
3) doesn't detect CF card at all

Yay for reverse progress!

At this point I'm afraid to try anything further as I suspect the next stage may involve something catching on fire. 😳

I struggled a lot with two types of CF cards adapters until realised they have 3.3/5V jumper and mine were set to 3.3V by default. I never felt so stupid 😀 Flashing XT-IDE without being preconfigured also took a day. But how else we can learn. That's the part of the joy and pleasure, when it finally works.

486: ECS UM486 VLB, 256kb cache, i486 DX2/66, 8MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440AGi VLB 1MB, Pro Audio Spectrum 16, FDD 3.5, ZIP 100 ATA
PII: Asus P2B, Pentium II 400MHz, 512MB RAM, Trident 9750 AGP 4MB, Voodoo2 SLI, MonsterSound MX300

Reply 22741 of 27185, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Plugged in and tested the PowerBook G4/1.5/512/FX Go5200 system and it needs a new battery along with a chassis repair since there's a small issue in the battery area.

I'll format the drive and put a fresh OS on it (either Tiger, Lion, or Linux). Fortunately, everything is working fine and the laptop connects to my extended wireless network without issues.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 22742 of 27185, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got another NanTan 9200D, this time the 10.3" model with color DSTN. Went through that thing with the fine tooth comb.......did/learned all the following...

- The 25MHz/33MHz System Bus Speeds are set by Jumper settings, so now both of my NanTans are 33MHz bus speed (both have Genuine intel 486 DX2-66s), I'll be drawing those up and adding to my site. The DFI MediaBook was originally a 25MHz machine but I put my spare DX2-66, so now they are the same except the DFI branded one is Monochrome and has a 9.4" screen.

- Cleaned up a MASSIVE Amount of battery corrosion, did ya' know these things were PAINTED gray? So much gray paint flaked off. That's how it has the texture. Luckily the way NanTan designed these things it stayed pretty contained, and the only electronics touched were the tiny boards with the battery pressure pads. Luckily the "ugly" one is going to become my "Beater" and preferred laptop for strategy games. The 7th Guest Looks AMAZING on this thing.

- Repaired a hinge with the BS/SG method. A nice note on hinges, loosening them up is EASY. You just remove them from the laptop, then use 2 pairs of pliars, and hold the bolt still while turning the mount until it's loose enough not to rip the screw anchors out. Since there are two, you don't need much tension at all to hold the screen up, less than my VErsas.

- I had to fix the speaker connection because some dunce - I assume at the factory - hot glued the wires back into a broken connector. Instead I threw in two bodge wires and then soldered the speaker to those. That ESS488 is frickin' LOUD. There's a jumper next to it but I'm not sure what it does but the laptop did not work until I had it set properly.

- After having owned 4-5 of these in my time, taking it apart has left me wondering why I did not do that sooner. It's actually not THAT horrible to take apart, yes, there is a lot, but it's actually, quite surprisingly, well built.

- LCD Panel is a HItachi LMG9300XUCC and seems to be doing quite well for it's age. There are moments it fools you into thinking it's Active Matrix if the picture is a bright one if it were not for the telltale dissappearance of fast moving objects (like the mouse).

- The system seemed to get happier the more I ran it. The fan has gotten quieter and smoother, the keyboard has become more responsive, the CMOS Battery recharged and started storing date/time/settings (good till 2099), the original Hard Disk worked (this thing was advertised not to have one), but I put my 80GB drive in there.

So I'm pretty happy with both of them. That said, this uses a weird audio chipset, the ESS488, and it has some funny problems with playback like my NES games are tuned down a whole step, Windows seems to be tuned up 1/2 a step, and some games like DOOM are really quiet even with the settings full up while others like The 7th Guest are so Loud my wife was making jokes about the laptop screaming "COME BAAAAAAAACK!" when I exited out. I also videoed the whole thing for DOSSCember

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 22743 of 27185, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Argh just discovered there's OS/2 Warp 3 and OS/2 Warp Connect 3... the latter one having network support. Guess which one I installed! I only have the original floppies for the non connect version and I can't bear going through all 30 odd floppy disks again 😭, I'm going to burn an ISO and stick a CD ROM drive in this PC

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed

Reply 22744 of 27185, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SteveC wrote on 2022-09-22, 16:52:

Argh just discovered there's OS/2 Warp 3 and OS/2 Warp Connect 3... the latter one having network support. Guess which one I installed! I only have the original floppies for the non connect version and I can't bear going through all 30 odd floppy disks again 😭, I'm going to burn an ISO and stick a CD ROM drive in this PC

You can add the network connectivity features after the fact. You'll need to search online for the LAN install disks.

Reply 22745 of 27185, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BetaC wrote on 2022-09-20, 23:26:

Today I learned that playboy apparently wanted to inform its readers about how cool the 3DFX Voodoo and Rendition Verité were.
CDA2071E-578D-452B-A824-F3C76F95C51D.jpeg
1997 was a wild time, and just look at that off-model Duke.

Well as a 3Dfx hater (that company was more nasty and cruel then Ngreedia was back then, no wonder they did bankrupt like idiots..), i prefered Rendition as a brand.. Too bad they did die so early on. I bet if they were on par with Voodoo 1, they could be competitive later on to the rest.. These days we are with only 2 big companies, adn after the reveal of RTX 4K series, well i have to say F you NOvideo, never to buy anything from them again.. But still real shame Rendition did bankrupt like that, they was the only promising brand from the so many, that failed at doing proper 3D graphics..

Shponglefan wrote on 2022-09-21, 15:11:
liqmat wrote on 2022-09-21, 14:59:
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-09-21, 14:51:

Yay for reverse progress!

This gave me a good morning chuckle. Not AT you, but from personal experience. Yes, reverse progress can be a thing when dealing with vintage hardware.

I suppose learning what not to do can be just as important as learning what to do. 😁

Nope.. Learning what NOT to do is ALOT more important be sure of that.. As doing something wrong may result in dead vintage HW, that is rare or expensive AF, then u will end up with no good/ exotic part, or spending alot of money on ebay to get it back.. So i am more then sure that learning what NOT to do is alot more important, then the other.

liqmat wrote on 2022-09-21, 15:35:

My reverse progress usually involves sparks, embers and small fires. So don't feel bad.

Oyy shit... Guess u may burn ur house down, or get electrified to death...

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 22746 of 27185, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
fosterwj03 wrote on 2022-09-22, 18:13:
SteveC wrote on 2022-09-22, 16:52:

You can add the network connectivity features after the fact. You'll need to search online for the LAN install disks.

It turns out in my original OS/2 Warp 3 floppy box someone had put a CD they'd burned in there with some utils and on that disc is a copy of FREETCP and all the required files and so...

Screenshot 2022-09-23 140542.jpg
Filename
Screenshot 2022-09-23 140542.jpg
File size
191.6 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Star Wars on an OS/2

Screenshot 2022-09-23 140530.jpg
Filename
Screenshot 2022-09-23 140530.jpg
File size
180.5 KiB
Views
File license

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed

Reply 22747 of 27185, by retrogamerguy1997

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Recently turned on my p4 now that it is getting cold again and it well so far seems slower then it did a few months ago. It might not help that I still haven't replaced the cmos battery (though that didn't seem to cause issues before). loading the desktop took extra time, and changing the time in windows was a bit difficult as window froze trying to change the month. I ended up rebooting (the normal way) shortly after and windows decided to run a checkdisk and found some errors and corrected them. Thankfully there are no bad sectors. After checkdisk rebooted I got a message about windows not starting up correctly, but I just selected to boot normally. upon booting windows then said it couldn't boot the user profile and decided to load the default windows profile which is going very slow even by prescott and mechanical drive standards.

I'm going to later just do a fresh install at this point.

Reply 22748 of 27185, by GuillermoXT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Since yesterday I've been researching the jumper settings for this mainboard on the net, but so far I haven't found anything - do you have any information about it?

https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/mitac-trigon-mba-029

My Retrosystems:
PIII on GA-6BA running Win98SE
AMD K6 233 on GA-586HX with Win95
Tandon 286-8MHZ Running DOS 6.22 on XTIDE-CF
M326 486DLC + 4c87dlc (Dos+Win3.11)
ECS UM4980 AMD DX2 80 5V (Dos & Win3.11)

Reply 22749 of 27185, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Radical Vision wrote on 2022-09-22, 21:52:
Well as a 3Dfx hater (that company was more nasty and cruel then Ngreedia was back then, no wonder they did bankrupt like idiots […]
Show full quote

Today I learned that playboy apparently wanted to inform its readers about how cool the 3DFX Voodoo and Rendition Verité were.

Well as a 3Dfx hater (that company was more nasty and cruel then Ngreedia was back then, no wonder they did bankrupt like idiots..), i prefered Rendition as a brand.. Too bad they did die so early on. I bet if they were on par with Voodoo 1, they could be competitive later on to the rest.. These days we are with only 2 big companies, adn after the reveal of RTX 4K series, well i have to say F you NOvideo, never to buy anything from them again.. But still real shame Rendition did bankrupt like that, they was the only promising brand from the so many, that failed at doing proper 3D graphics..

Shponglefan wrote on 2022-09-21, 15:11:
liqmat wrote on 2022-09-21, 14:59:

This gave me a good morning chuckle. Not AT you, but from personal experience. Yes, reverse progress can be a thing when dealing with vintage hardware.

I suppose learning what not to do can be just as important as learning what to do. 😁

Nope.. Learning what NOT to do is ALOT more important be sure of that.. As doing something wrong may result in dead vintage HW, that is rare or expensive AF, then u will end up with no good/ exotic part, or spending alot of money on ebay to get it back.. So i am more then sure that learning what NOT to do is alot more important, then the other.

liqmat wrote on 2022-09-21, 15:35:

My reverse progress usually involves sparks, embers and small fires. So don't feel bad.

Oyy shit... Guess u may burn ur house down, or get electrified to death...

Take a cool down pill.

How do you feel if same type of harsh, immature comments are directed at you?

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 22750 of 27185, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well as a 3Dfx hater [...]

So much hate for everyone and everything. Wow.

I love 3DFX.

Reply 22751 of 27185, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote on 2022-09-23, 17:00:

Take a cool down pill.

How do you feel if same type of harsh, immature comments are directed at you?

Cheers,

I am cooled AF.. U will know if u see me going mad or in rage believe me.. This here in the forum is cold side, not the opposite..
Some ppl come at me like that, and do i give a fuck.. The guy stated that he gets magic smoke, killing stuff, and i said that if someone does stuff like that he may get in danger, nothing else.. Meanwhile i for sure did trash talk ASUS or nVIDIA..

xcomcmdr wrote on 2022-09-23, 18:05:

Well as a 3Dfx hater [...]

So much hate for everyone and everything. Wow.

I love 3DFX.

Well shit happens.. BTW believe if 3Dfx was not so greedy AF back in their glory days, they was going to be at some point prob more advanced then what nVIDIA have these days, and AMD as well. And with that they was going to make the others bankrupt or something. In any case their prices was going to be nuts.. The greed was the main reason of their downfall. I like 3Dfx only as what they made, but as company naa fk that... These days nVIDIA makes very good GPUs, one of the best and with interesting features and well working software, featurs and drivers, but as a company they suck ass... And after Voodoo II, 3Dfx was pretty much OUTdated, the Voodoo III was fine card, but it had only 16 bit color wtf, meanwhile ATi, nVIDIA, MatroX and others had 32 bit colors 🤣. And only Glide made Voodoo III shine a bit, outside of Glide it was bloodbath. And everyone knows what happened when Voodoo V 5500 did launch, it was dual chip card, and was weaker then single chip GEforce 256 🤣. They needed the quad chip Voodoo 6000 in order to beat the GF 256...

Overall i like about all tech anad stuff, i just dont like some companies (dont like ASUS at all, not as premium, as most think they are..).

K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 22752 of 27185, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

🤣 sits back eating popcorn waiting for some other replies 😁
Tore apart an old TIVO box with 2009 80GB IDE WD drive and only 3400 hours on it that passed CrystalDisk and seemed to work fine. Unfortunately my cat caught me off guard and nearly tripped me going to storage area and dropped it 🙁
Will test it again later. The other two HD's from TIVO's are 2012 also work fine but one has near 43000 hours. Nothing else good going on but work...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 22753 of 27185, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Especially ironic about the Rendition comment is that they had the *least* 3d dedicated hardware of the bunch (and bungled up the DOS VGA at that).

3dfx's blunder starts at the Rush. There's all intents to make a proper video card but that wasn't until the Banshee, then STB merged, vendors were cut off and there begins the snowball...

nVidia then had a Microsoft edge. (not the browser) Their influence on DirectX 7+, feature proposals, etc. set them apart from the other emerging 32bpp cards. At the end of the day, hwtnl + cubemaps > embm > 3dfx's blast processing

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 22754 of 27185, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote on 2022-09-24, 02:48:

Especially ironic about the Rendition comment is that they had the *least* 3d dedicated hardware of the bunch (and bungled up the DOS VGA at that).

3dfx's blunder starts at the Rush. There's all intents to make a proper video card but that wasn't until the Banshee, then STB merged, vendors were cut off and there begins the snowball...

nVidia then had a Microsoft edge. (not the browser) Their influence on DirectX 7+, feature proposals, etc. set them apart from the other emerging 32bpp cards. At the end of the day, hwtnl + cubemaps > embm > 3dfx's blast processing

3DFX bungled a lo of things but their biggest was how long avenger got delayed, had it been released 12 months earlier they may have stood a good chance of matching NVidia. Rampage wasn’t that far off when 3DFX collapsed, it too should have been released earlier.

Oh VSA should have had Hwtl, another bungle right there in not reading the direction the market was heading fast enough.

Reply 22755 of 27185, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Spending tonight - while on call - cleaning the closet up and selling of excess parts and systems and whatnot. Big job. FitPC, the 486 SX-25 from my DFI MediaBook, probably going to repost some more big box games. I'm trying to get cohesive.

The goal is to have ONE keyboard/mouse/game controller setup for the desktops, and all the laptops get a spot on the shelves. I'm also building out a 128GB SSD for the NanTan 9200D with DOS 7.01 and Windows For Workgroups 3.11 (mSATA drive in 44 pin IDE Caddy).

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 22756 of 27185, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote on 2022-09-24, 02:48:

Anyway i still think Rendition was promicing company, with promicing product, sadly they did die fast. Maybe Verrite 4 4400 or Verrite 5 5500 was going to be alot better..
I like the Rush tho is big and interesting card containing 2D chip from another brand, and the rest from 3Dfx, but the execution was dumb, they needed to ensure that there is no bottleneck. I still like that card tho is interesting. Saw somewhere that the Rampage project was delayed because the Banshee, lmao, it should have been released in 1999, and Avenger in 1998 i think something liek that.. Guess these baboons from 3Dfx was too busy with corporate parties, cutting the middle men the board partners, and spending alot of money for the STB Systems... With all that BS going on is no wonder they did die as they did. After all if u have competition in the face of the big M$ and the nVIDIA (that did learn after the release of NV1 and the original TNT, nvidia got the ide what to fix, and how to make betetr cards and evolve into making one of the best video cards for games0, you cant just ignore the competition, and straight go cut ur partners that made u what u are, by selling Voodoo and Voodoo II cards, cutting them down, and then spending most of the money the company have into some shitty STB Systems company, and expect to last.. Making everyone their enemy and their greed is their downfall.. After Voodoo II the things did go bad for them, delaying the Rampage chip was dumb idea too, also the Voodoo 5 5500 was weaker with its dual chips vs the single chip of the GEforce 256, they was just OUTdated at that time. If they did have better managment, they could make great innovations after Voodoo and Voodoo II, and be ahead of everyone all the time, but that is what nVIDIA did instead, they upgraded every new generation cards, when they saw how NV1 was not what they intended to be, and the TNT was not much better too, that is when they released the TNT II, and made a difference catching to the Voodoo III, and then they step up in their game with GF256 and it was bloodbath for 3Dfx.. These days after Ryzen and specially ZEN 3, if Intel was not as rich and influential as they are, they was going to have the similar fate of 3Dfx. But Intel is mega corporation, and they can bleed for some years, and wont be enough to take them down. 3Dfx went over their heads thinking they are Intel of the Videocards, and things went fast to shit, since they may be very promising, but the greed, the stupidity in the management, and thinking the competition will wait you, did rip off 3Dfx`s head...

I wonder tho, as 20 years did pass, why the former founders of 3Dfx Interactive dont try to make a come back, and start making videocards again, i think if this time they are not as greedy and dumb, they have the potential to grow big.. After all these 20 years have passed the patents nVIDIA did buy, they can buy them back..

Is also interesting how there was plenty of video chip manufacturers in the 90s, but for some reason only 3Dfx was any good, then nVIDIA, ATi to some degree, but the Rage series was crap mostly, and Rendition was very good too. Rest did suck hard ass like MatroX very well build cards with quality in mind, but their 3D was horrible, best cards they had was MatroX Mistique, MatroX G400 Max and Parhelia the last attempt from them, and then they abandoned the market.. Trident did suck balls, SiS as well, and their child the XGI Volari was failure as well (i still want that sweet Volari V8 Duo tho), S3 was bad too, maybe only the Savage series was good (aside from Savage 2000, that is garbage), and the Metal API, rest sucked ass too. The early Number 9 did have their own chips made in the company, but they was not very good i think. Cirrus logic had chips too, and they sucked hard as well.
Another brand i think was good that was PowerVR and the Kyro Series, they had that Tile API and did work very well, but they abandoned the computer industry, these days they make only CPUs for smartphones 🤣, sad tho..

K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 22757 of 27185, by stef80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Refurbished Abit KV7. Original NB cooler fan was stuck so I gave it a passive cooler from my "old heatsinks" box. Works nice for the KT600 chipset.
Also coverd some exposed traces on the back of the motherboard with UV solder mask. Traces lead to AGP slot which seems to work, so I hope there's no real damage to it. Seems like a classic "screw behind the motherboard" situation. Flashed latest BIOS while I was at it.

20220924_115333.jpg
Filename
20220924_115333.jpg
File size
1.81 MiB
Views
File license
20220919_230756.jpg
Filename
20220919_230756.jpg
File size
914.61 KiB
Views
File license
20220924_123144.jpg
Filename
20220924_123144.jpg
File size
1.13 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 22758 of 27185, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In these days I was testing a 775 board using a "modern" low end but not too much Cooler Master 500W MPX-5001 PSU which is not an high end power supply of course, quite basic but theorically with all the protections supposed to expect on a low end basic acceptable PSU. Without noticing what was happening, a SATA connector blocked the PSU fan and nothing on the PSU happened until going back in the room (I wasn't in the room for a while like half an hour) had the classic "bad wires/eletric smell" immediately found the problem and the fan accelerated at maximun to slowly come back to the usual low speed once temps were lower. The config power demand was low like 50 watts. I had a look inside the PSU and clearly what was smelling was the fan itself inside, while the PSU board is ok nothing seems smelling bad or gone. I wonder why there's no protection for a fan blocked even without a specific RPM speed cable (?). Should I change the fan expecting it to possibily fail sooner and no protections would notice that?

Last edited by 386SX on 2022-09-24, 13:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 22759 of 27185, by CrFr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Brought this stinky boy back to life 😀

Some of the caps had started leaking badly. Geometry was all messed up, and when it warmed up, it started smelling like rotten fish soaked in piss. Replaced all the caps, almost 50 pcs of them in there. Wasn't really a quick job to do, but I had shopping list ready for it from the previous one. Most of the caps tested good, but I thought I'll just replace everything since I have the boards removed from the case.

Now it doesn't stink anymore, and picture is perfect. It has a Panasonic tube, and colors on it are just beautiful.

This is the second one of these I have recapped. Now I have two of them in working condition. First one was built in 1993, and this one is from 1995.

IBM Model 6327-22

IMGP2229_.jpg
Filename
IMGP2229_.jpg
File size
247.82 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain