VOGONS

Reply 23220 of 27059, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-11-23, 19:48:

The capacitor may have gone a bit stale. Sometimes it takes a few power cycles for an old card to come back to life. The cleaning may or may not have had something to do with it.

Also, please don't coat your electronics in WD-40. It's flammable.

I've pointed this out yesterday and nobody seems to care interestingly enough. It's like dousing your car in gasoline because it gets rid of tar..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 23221 of 27059, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One of the uses for WD-40 is to spray into your distributor cap if there was moisture in there and your car wouldn't start. There's quite a bit of arcing in a distributor and people's cars didn't go up in flames. Wd-40 is only flammable while it's wet once the solvents in it evaporate it's fine. Don't forget the pvc insulation on your PSU cables are flammable as well. Isopropyl alcohol as well as most contact cleaners are highly flammable.

(Edit: spelling mistake)

Reply 23222 of 27059, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was looking at some old article about the launch of AMD Bulldozer on one of the hardware review sites, and it was talking about Geekbench results. I had never run it before and was curious so I found a download for the demo version of Geekbench 2.x and made a few runs. Turns out they still have a webpage up collecting Geekbench 2 results online. https://browser.geekbench.com/geekbench2/

Replaced the power supply in my socket A system and it powered right up, which is good because it was clear that something was failing and I wasn't sure if it was the PSU or the motherboard. Guess it was the PSU. This PSU has a dead fan though so it still needs some work.

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad

Reply 23223 of 27059, by gmaverick2k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-11-24, 12:06:

One of the uses for WD-40 is to spray into your distributor cap if there was moisture in there and your car wouldn't start. There's quite a bit of arcing in a distributor and people's cars didn't go up in flames. Wd-40 is only flammable while it's wet once the solvents in it evaporate it's fine. Don't forget the pvc insulation on your PSU cables are flammable as well. Isopropyl alcohol as well as most contact cleaners are highly flammable.

Lel, pwned

"What's all this racket going on up here, son? You watchin' yer girl cartoons again?"

Reply 23224 of 27059, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not sure that it has much (if any) positive effect either, though, in the context of a home desktop computer's components.

WD-40's primary purpose is short term Water Displacement (the "WD" of WD-40). Water displacement should be done by other means, in this context. Simple clean heat convection, or purer chemicals, like Isopropyl.

And, aside from it's immediate water displacement effect, any ongoing protection effect of WD-40 (against moisture, or corrosion) is said to be very short lived (days), and therefore a bit pointless in that respect.

I'd happily listen to evidence to the contrary, but as it stands, I don't personally see the point of involving WD-40 with desktop home computer components. The WD-40 will stink for a few days, after which point it'll cease to do much of anything at all, imo.

Reply 23225 of 27059, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ayandon wrote on 2022-11-23, 18:37:

Then added a tiny drop of WD-40 and brushed all over it.

Now, its fully working and running! 🥳❤️

As others mentioned WD-40 is not good for motherboards/adapters/etc.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 23226 of 27059, by ayandon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2022-11-25, 02:37:

As others mentioned WD-40 is not good for motherboards/adapters/etc.

Thanks a lot for the tip.
I will clean them this weekend using IPA.

I want to restore my late father's 1st ever computer IBM ET&T PC-XT that he gifted me.
Hope you will be kind enough to guide and support me to restore his loving memory.

Reply 23227 of 27059, by ayandon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-11-24, 21:51:
I'm not sure that it has much (if any) positive effect either, though, in the context of a home desktop computer's components. […]
Show full quote

I'm not sure that it has much (if any) positive effect either, though, in the context of a home desktop computer's components.

WD-40's primary purpose is short term Water Displacement (the "WD" of WD-40). Water displacement should be done by other means, in this context. Simple clean heat convection, or purer chemicals, like Isopropyl.

And, aside from it's immediate water displacement effect, any ongoing protection effect of WD-40 (against moisture, or corrosion) is said to be very short lived (days), and therefore a bit pointless in that respect.

I'd happily listen to evidence to the contrary, but as it stands, I don't personally see the point of involving WD-40 with desktop home computer components. The WD-40 will stink for a few days, after which point it'll cease to do much of anything at all, imo.

Just sharing a personal experience
My current Intel i7 Computer's Power Button was having some issue. PC won't start only after multiple button presses.
I could not replace it due to lockdowns and availability.

1st I used IPA to clean the dust..... not much effect.
Then, I put just one drop of WD-40 on the button and till then, no issue since 2020.... still using it.

I want to restore my late father's 1st ever computer IBM ET&T PC-XT that he gifted me.
Hope you will be kind enough to guide and support me to restore his loving memory.

Reply 23228 of 27059, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ayandon wrote on 2022-11-25, 03:54:
My current Intel i7 Computer's Power Button was having some issue. PC won't start only after multiple button presses. I could no […]
Show full quote

My current Intel i7 Computer's Power Button was having some issue. PC won't start only after multiple button presses.

Then, I put just one drop of WD-40 on the button and till then, no issue since 2020.... still using it.

Ahh yes OK. Switches are fine for WD-40 but be careful on motherboards and adapter cards.
The solvent in WD-40 can eat certain plastics and many old computer parts are plastic based including the motherboard (being an epoxy based plus the ic's are all plastic encased).
I remember back decades ago cleaning switches and reostats/aka variable resistors (volume, bass, treble, etc) in an older receiver and got wd-40 over spray on the outer black plastic front, went to wipe it off and it had dissolved some of the surface.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 23229 of 27059, by ayandon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2022-11-25, 04:31:
Ahh yes OK. Switches are fine for WD-40 but be careful on motherboards and adapter cards. The solvent in WD-40 can eat certain […]
Show full quote
My current Intel i7 Computer's Power Button was having some issue. PC won't start only after multiple button presses. I could no […]
Show full quote

Ahh yes OK. Switches are fine for WD-40 but be careful on motherboards and adapter cards.
The solvent in WD-40 can eat certain plastics and many old computer parts are plastic based including the motherboard (being an epoxy based plus the ic's are all plastic encased).
I remember back decades ago cleaning switches and reostats/aka variable resistors (volume, bass, treble, etc) in an older receiver and got wd-40 over spray on the outer black plastic front, went to wipe it off and it had dissolved some of the surface.

Thanks a lot for the valuable tip.

I will clean them with IPA this weekend.
Is it enough?

Reply 23230 of 27059, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Just sharing a personal experience My current Intel i7 Computer's Power Button was having some issue. PC won't start only after […]
Show full quote
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-11-24, 21:51:
I'm not sure that it has much (if any) positive effect either, though, in the context of a home desktop computer's components. […]
Show full quote

Just sharing a personal experience

Real world experience is king. I don't doubt your tale. Perhaps contact cleaner may have worked too.

WD-40 has plenty of valid uses, but I would not use it as a general protectant or 'refresher' of circuit boards. It may have some of those properties, to limited degree, but there are generally better options here.

Reply 23231 of 27059, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ayandon wrote on 2022-11-25, 04:41:

Thanks a lot for the valuable tip.

I will clean them with IPA this weekend.
Is it enough?

I would not clean the motherboard with IPA if still working.
There is risk of rust on any metal parts if you clean again

Reply 23232 of 27059, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I installed this under linux-kvm:

image.png
Filename
image.png
File size
16.88 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Surprisingly responsive - feels a lot faster RDPing to Windows NT 4.0 than running it under VirtualBox

Reply 23233 of 27059, by DundyTheCroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are many types of WD-40 sprays, for contacts, slots and other electrical equipment use that:

wd.jpg
Filename
wd.jpg
File size
201.18 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 23234 of 27059, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-11-24, 12:06:

Wrong:

Is WD-40 Flammable After Drying?
The main constituent of WD-40 is petrochemical distillates, so it is no doubt that the oil is flammable. However, when dry, it burns slowly without any sound, so it can be called more combustible than flammable. When heated, it goes under oxidation, releasing heat energy and making the oil more likely to combust.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 23235 of 27059, by kennyPENTIUMpowers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

WD40 isnt flammable much at all, thinking about how many times ive sprayed it into areas that could catch on fire..
eg into electric motors on RC cars, the brushes must be arcing all the time .. no motor ever caught on fire..

yes it will flame up when you ignite it straight out of the can but thats because the can has a flammable propellant in it (which i always thought was propane/butane) as well as being extremely well atomised (boiling off easily and rapidly)

all this talk is really just speculation unless you can tell us what actually is in WD40

Reply 23236 of 27059, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

According to common sources such as Wikipedia, the stock WD-40 formulation's ingredients are mostly petroleum products, so it's flammability isn't in question. It certainly is flammable.

But flammability is a very broad definition. It can mean anything from low-grade hazard, to extreme explosiveness. In this case the risk is obviously low, but then, inside a computer, so too are the benefits.

Last edited by Shreddoc on 2022-11-25, 10:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 23237 of 27059, by MarkP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DundyTheCroc wrote on 2022-11-25, 08:46:

There are many types of WD-40 sprays, for contacts, slots and other electrical equipment use that:
wd.jpg

^^^ What he posted.