VOGONS

Reply 2600 of 27170, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Attempted to use a k5-pr166 with an Intel HX motherboard. That was a no go, so dropped a rather tired and abused Pentium 233mmx in instead. Hardware is setup in a case and the next step is a 98se install. Not so retro is a free Inpspiron 5315 getting setup with a fresh install of Vista and fixed up to replace a neighbors XP machine.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 2601 of 27170, by GoblinUpTheRoad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been wanting to repair a pair of DTK 286 boards I've had here for a while. Finally got stuck into it today.

01.jpg
Filename
01.jpg
File size
256.32 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Both boards had bad battery acid corrosion.

02.jpg
Filename
02.jpg
File size
223.04 KiB
Views
File license

Both boards were missing the BIOS ROMs but luckily I could find the DTK BIOS on the net so I could write a couple of 27128s.

One board was doing nothing when powered on, the other would post OK but give a keyboard error, so I concentrated on that one.

03.jpg
Filename
03.jpg
File size
109.32 KiB
Views
File license

With the keyboard connector right next to the battery, I was fairly certain the problem would be a broken trace from the corrosion, but all the keyboard connector pins were connected up correctly, so had to dig deeper. Using the logic probe I found a missing input on the nearby 7407, which was indeed caused by a broken trace, the corresponding output goes to the keyboard data pin. A bit more searching around the keyboard clock signal discovered another broken trace somewhere between a 7404 way up at the top of the board and pin 37 of the 8042 which for some reason ran indirectly via the area of the corrosion.

Bridged the broken traces with hookup wire and gave it a test. With the keyboard working now I can get into the bios an set everything up and get it running, once I put a new battery back on.

04.jpg
Filename
04.jpg
File size
192.83 KiB
Views
File license

-

05.jpg
Filename
05.jpg
File size
82.68 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 2602 of 27170, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found an alternative use for a spare Cx486DX. Spider attempted to escape, having found the weak point in the top of the tank;

vlcsnap_2016_01_08_00h02m21s841.jpg

So I used the nearest object which seemed like it would work;
vlcsnap_2016_01_08_00h03m43s884.jpg

Hopefully, she is not strong enough to push that out of the way, as she was managing to move the folded tape I have over that hole in the lid. I did wonder how long it would take her to discover this weakness and indeed, it did not take her very long considering the small size of her brain. While I am here, have a better quality image of her; http://s26.postimg.org/kckkanp2x/vlcsnap_2016 … 3h55m12s939.jpg

In other news, I am still enjoying my Trinitron;
vlcsnap_2016_01_07_23h56m27s707.jpg
vlcsnap_2016_01_07_23h56m46s749.jpg

I discovered it has a secret up its sleeve that I somehow overlooked - a second VGA input is available to the left of the controls which flips out. I did wonder, given the OSD reports "REAR INPUT" and indeed, hitting the input button switches to "FRONT INPUT" and displays and image from the front socket instead. This has a lot of potential uses.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 2603 of 27170, by GoblinUpTheRoad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HighTreason wrote:

Spider attempted to escape, having found the weak point in the top of the tank;

You should build a PC case into a spider enclosure. That is, after all, a spider's natural habitat 😊

Reply 2604 of 27170, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I learned that I can, indeed, pack a nice, retro punch with me the next time I'm on a trip:

efc16m4l.jpg

Oh yeah, I did manage to fix the dead keys problem I was having with this thing. All it took was simply reseating the keyboard cables and the dead keys came back to life! Now to load this with some games...

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 2605 of 27170, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Finally finished inventorying all my CPUs. Had to do the remaining CPUs in the attic as I had not enough storage to bring all of them downstairs.
Even found a some chips I had forgotten that I had.
Alas, none of my old Pentiums seem to have the FDIV bug, except for the one I already 'found' a couple days ago 😢

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2606 of 27170, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:

Finally finished inventorying all my CPUs. Had to do the remaining CPUs in the attic as I had not enough storage to bring all of them downstairs.
Alas, none of my old Pentiums seem to have the FDIV bug, except for the one I already 'found' a couple days ago 😢

Did something similar and sorted out my humble CPU collection 😀

hwDJ1XGl.jpg

b4Ymlrsl.jpg

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2607 of 27170, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
Did something similar and sorted out my humble CPU collection :) […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:

Did something similar and sorted out my humble CPU collection 😀

hwDJ1XGl.jpg

b4Ymlrsl.jpg

That's actually a good, cheap and effective way to store them, I'm gonna copy that flo...I mean idea! 😁

I think I'm gonna inventory my sound cards next 😀

Report spammers here!

Reply 2608 of 27170, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use A4 Stationary Cases from officeworks.

http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officework … s-clear-seofa03

IMG_5510.jpg
Filename
IMG_5510.jpg
File size
569.11 KiB
Views
File license

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 2609 of 27170, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Today I unsoldered an old coin cell battery off of my 486 machine and soldered a nice holder and put a new battery in. The old one was down to 2.4V and the clock was running slower when the PC was off, now it seems to be working fine.

Reply 2610 of 27170, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yesterday and today my buddy and I setup five PCs in a LAN for Red Alert 2 tomorrow. Also test played.

Dumped the IBM NetVista.

Found a thrift store with piles of Pentium 4s, 3s, 2s and even a 386. Only bought a LCD.

Reply 2611 of 27170, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Awesome! Can't beat a good retro LAN. We're having a LAN tomorrow at my workplace, but it's modern stuff only unfortunately (I'm trying to convince them to play some UT99 at least!). Would love to see some pics of the event in full swing!

Reply 2612 of 27170, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dexter311 wrote:

Awesome! Can't beat a good retro LAN. We're having a LAN tomorrow at my workplace, but it's modern stuff only unfortunately (I'm trying to convince them to play some UT99 at least!). Would love to see some pics of the event in full swing!

I talked to a friend of mine yesterday and we had a similar conversation about me building 4 retro LAN rigs, all Pentium MMX's, 3 for the LAN at my place (Interstate 76! 😁) and one for him so he can try out playing DOS games in real DOS and with a real ISA sound card 😁

Currently going through all my sound cards though, so the new rigs will have to wait some more...

Report spammers here!

Reply 2613 of 27170, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PeterLI wrote:

Yesterday and today my buddy and I setup five PCs in a LAN for Red Alert 2 tomorrow. Also test played.

Dumped the IBM NetVista.

Found a thrift store with piles of Pentium 4s, 3s, 2s and even a 386. Only bought a LCD.

you suck. you left a 386 at a thrift store? SHAME.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 2615 of 27170, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:
PeterLI wrote:

Dumped the IBM NetVista.

you suck. you left a 386 at a thrift store? SHAME.

I wouldn't expect anything else from PeterLI honestly 😵

Reply 2616 of 27170, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PeterLI wrote:

Dumped the IBM NetVista.

Bummer =/

PeterLI wrote:

Please do say where is that store xD
Too bad its not on Brazil, or I could get myself a 386 (I'm yet to get one)

Reply 2617 of 27170, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I tested S370 processors and found two non working ones 🙁 Two others weren't labelled, so I wrote the frequency / FSB on them to make it easier for the future.

Then I played around with V2 SLI. Got two matching STB cards.

Had zero issues, so I'm happy they still work well. Used the latest 3rd party drivers, installed some games and off it went. Happy days.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2618 of 27170, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm tinkering on my old system. Two things are under investigation today.

1. SD card is now corrupted and won't boot. Switching the system to a CF to IDE adapter instead. Someone posted about SD reliability recently, and they were spot-on.
2. Noticed that when booting my PC with a certain sound card inside, something on the card "clicks" 1-2 seconds after powering-on. I then de-clicks when powering off the system.

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 2619 of 27170, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

I tested S370 processors and found two non working ones 🙁 Two others weren't labelled, so I wrote the frequency / FSB on them to make it easier for the future.

Then I played around with V2 SLI. Got two matching STB cards.

Had zero issues, so I'm happy they still work well. Used the latest 3rd party drivers, installed some games and off it went. Happy days.

Which CPUs and which board were you testing with?
Soms CPUs have problems on some boards (mostly PPGA Celerons and VIA C3s...along with Tualatins and possibly some 66MHz FSB Celerons that are put in boards that don't want to run below 100MHz FSB)

Report spammers here!