VOGONS

Reply 2620 of 27410, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have 3x 1 GHz with 133 MHz FSB. 2 won't post. Not even post beeps, nothing. Tried three motherboard just be sure.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2621 of 27410, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

I have 3x 1 GHz with 133 MHz FSB. 2 won't post. Not even post beeps, nothing. Tried three motherboard just be sure.

In that case either they are dead, only other option I can think of is to try a different HSF. I've once had difficulties with a P3-800-133 Coppermine which would often not post, turned out it was the HSF (probably was a bit too large for the tiny die of the Coppermine)

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2623 of 27410, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Still busy inventorying my sound cards 😀

PhilsComputerLab wrote:

I tried that also. I might revisit them at a later stage...

Luckily they aren't exactly rare or expensive, but it is kinda odd that 2 out of 3 turned out to be dead.

Report spammers here!

Reply 2625 of 27410, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am on vacation so I do not have the luggage space and cannot leave stuff at my parents' house.

The LAN Party was a big success. We played with six. The Armada 1700 worked great.

I had to leave early: spending time with my folks before flying home tomorrow AM.

Reply 2626 of 27410, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Finally done inventorying all of my sound cards 😁

I don't have that many, so it was a relatively quick chore.

Contemplating on what to do next? Perhaps all of my motherboards?

Report spammers here!

Reply 2627 of 27410, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have been sorting game discs but now Im playing Maxis Full Tilt! Pinball.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 2628 of 27410, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today i did probably the most pointless fix ever, but couldn't resist.

Meet this disgusting Compaq keyboard from the beginning of 2000:

20160107_190757_zpsuc4xw3zb.jpg

It's yellowed, really dirty and i believe it was exposed to the elements for quite a while. It came with a Compaq Deskpro EN that i previously shown here and i was willing to save it only because it was it's original keyboard.

After washing it,key by key, piece by piece it looks like this now:

20160109_230928_zpss1slt52u.jpg

Still a disgusting yellow but at least it's a clean keyboard. Problem was that it was also malfunctioning. The "Space" key, "B" key, "N" key and NumLock key didn't work.
After much endurace i found a trace near the space key that although still there, didn't work according to my multimeter.

Nothing a bit of foil and kapton tape couldn't fix:

20160109_220249_zps12zxbjoj.jpg

In the end i must admit it was satisfying to see it working again. Oh and it was used to write this post!

My 2001 gaming beast in all it's "Pentium 4 Williamate" Glory!

Reply 2629 of 27410, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I decided that it would be a good idea to clean some of the old PCs that I don't use, in doing that I decided to test a 286 that I have since 2008 and never managed to use it, it was left here by the previous house owner, when I tested it originally the PSU didn't like the idea and just decided to give me a bad smell, anyway, in looking at it today I identified the MB as a Biostar 1220VS and the CPU as a Harris 286 20MHz, unfortunately it looks like the bios battery leaked at some point and damaged part of the board, still I gave it a go and the best I could do was listen to 10 short beeps, and repeat, but I decided to test the hard drive (seagate st35 40MB) on another PC and it worked no problem, it was interesting to see that the newest files were from 02/96, so I would guess it's been almost 20 years since it was last powered on, unfortunately there were no hidden games or anything, just some used car dealer files from around 92-95 🤣

Reply 2631 of 27410, by Oldbitcollector

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Pitched a $20.00 Ebay offer for this... Didn't think they would accept with a $39.99 list.

Boom! Looking forward to having one of these again.

Bet I come across 3 of these next week at the recycling center now that I've purchased one.. 😀

Attachments

• soundblaster.png
    Filename
    soundblaster.png
    File size
    1.04 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2632 of 27410, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Oldbitcollector wrote:

Pitched a $20.00 Ebay offer for this... Didn't think they would accept with a $39.99 list.

Boom! Looking forward to having one of these again.

Bet I come across 3 of these next week at the recycling center now that I've purchased one.. 😀

Can't read the model number, but if it's the 1350, then it's not gonna be mine's (purely coincidental as I inventoried my sound cards just yesterday, including 3 of these), though one is some sound machine card? And another one is badly scratched but I'm keeping it. Are these of any use when one also has Sound Blaster 16's to choose from?

Report spammers here!

Reply 2633 of 27410, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

Can't read the model number, but if it's the 1350, then it's not gonna be mine's (purely coincidental as I inventoried my sound cards just yesterday, including 3 of these), though one is some sound machine card? And another one is badly scratched but I'm keeping it. Are these of any use when one also has Sound Blaster 16's to choose from?

The photo is indeed not very good, but I'd say it's a CT1350B (SB 2.0) with a CT1336A chip. I also have one of this (bought when it was new.)

Reply 2634 of 27410, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
idspispopd wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

The photo is indeed not very good, but I'd say it's a CT1350B (SB 2.0) with a CT1336A chip. I also have one of this (bought when it was new.)

For some reason I find this particular card interesting to look at, mainly because of it's age I think.
Some of the even older cards look like they were riveted 😁

Mine all have empty sockets but from what I understand I'm not missing out on anything significant anyway.

I even have a box of one of these earlier sound cards, but it's quite damaged (tears) and when I found it, it was already incomplete.
Perhaps I should scan it?

Btw, does Vogons actually have a thread about old PC hardware box art? I reckon it could actually turn out to be quite successful 😁

Report spammers here!

Reply 2635 of 27410, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The three empty sockets are for Game Blaster (CMS) support. But if I'm not mistaken the card on the photo wouldn't work correctly with the upgrade because of the CT1336A chip (otherwise I'd try to upgrade my card). There is a thread on this subject...

Reply 2636 of 27410, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

What are you going to do with this massive inventory? Are you an obsessive collector or do you occasionally trade / sell items?

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 2637 of 27410, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brassicGamer wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

What are you going to do with this massive inventory? Are you an obsessive collector or do you occasionally trade / sell items?

That's a good question actually. It's the result of roughly 12 years of collecting and I've spend years building PCs both as a job and as a hobby, till a couple years ago when I started getting other interests which took my preference. So basically it's all been idling for the last couple years, but I do venture into my 'mancave' from time to time and every time I look at it, I think "wow...this is just awesome! Epic! And I did it all by myself, it's al mine muahahaha 😁" ...sorta 😜

I never did any massive trading, I'm not in it for the money but because it simply interests me.

For now I'm stuck at home, so instead of wasting my time looking outside and doing useless stuff, I rather spend my time doing something with a purpose.
I'm finding stuff I forgotten that I had.
And I actually find it fun!

And perhaps most of all, I find the Vogons community plain awesome! 😁

Report spammers here!

Reply 2638 of 27410, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For a video I'm working on. V2 SLI never gets old, I always have fun taking them for a spin:

YixZCjXl.jpg

CHzafbOl.jpg

iwqqtx3l.jpg

JydXzEUl.jpg

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2639 of 27410, by mmx_91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I modified the Windows ME installation of my Pentium MMX, to allow real mode DOS access to configure my soundcard by following PhilsComputerLab guides (I'm becoming a big fan of your website!!). Also tried the programs bundled in the AWE64 Gold CD, they work perfectly fine on the Value version of the card as well 😎 😎. Now I can enjoy DOS games properly.

Searching for a screw-driver (I currently live in a rented flat and have nothing in here 🤣), I found a small switch in a drawer and made the mother of all sloppy-jobs 🤣 (I'm tired of using the Reset button to power-up the computer since I replaced the AT psu for an ATX one... 🤣 🤣)

ZRc3Utk.jpg

ID1S26v.jpg

PD: I promise to fix it as soon as possible... but now it works as intended, and this mess is behind the front panel 🤣