Spent last night trying to figure out why the old 7.2GB Maxtor my DOS/WFWG311 install was on for all these years was going slower - turns out I have a LOT of failed Allocation units on the C partition, I think I'm going to Junk it since it's struggling to even manage to read/write at all (goes "unnnnnnnnh........unnnnnnnnnn......unnnnnnnn"), sounds to me to be a dying hard disk, so it must be. That's okay, that drive has been used HARD.
So I put the 20GB back in the 486 and moved my critical stuff to THAT hard disk for now (all hail removable Drive caddies!), which is fine for now, everything seems to be running a lot faster under that setup for now anyway, and I can continue my multi-track shenanigans on that machine for now (need to figure out how to not record the entire WAV mix audio and just pick up the Line-In) and continue developing the 3 games I've been working on for a few years (the artwork is taking me for-freakin-ever - doing a lot of hand-done Pixel Art).
Looks like I'll be hunting around for an 8GB HDD or so for awhile now for my WFWG/DOS 6.22 stuff. Oh well, I should be able to make that happen. I'm not in any real hurry since I'm kind of enjoying not needing a multi-boot configuration to play everying on Windows 95, and I've been setting that disk up with a bunch of software....things done last night....
- My AGS & GFX-II Dev Setup moved to it
- Started prepping to put AGI Studio and PICEDIT on there too (new stuff for my Tandy 1000 - wee ha)
- Installed Sim City Classic, SIm City 2000, and Sim Tower, already cheating my way through Sim City Classic with my own island that has 2billion saved overnight via carefully planned prosperity
- Installd mIRC on it, this time version 6.91 or something like that, I'm surprised such a new version works and works so well, it has the current logo and everything
- Installed Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite on it - they won't run, probably processor checking
- took of Linux Beachead 2000 - won't run, needs P133
- setup SIDEWTSR to run via AUTOEXEC.BAT (need it - for some reason DOS apps are not picking up my SideWinder gamepad through Windows 95).
Tried reformatting the C: partition on the 8GB drive, once it hit Allocation unit 13 it started to fail and make it's buzzing electronic noises. Probably time to retire that old Maxtor drive.