VOGONS

What were your first computer(s)?

Topic actions

First post, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not for sure, but I think my first computer was this old Pentium 1 AST Advantage 9000 Series (Next to me in this photo!) I believe it was either a 120MHz or 133MHz model and ran Windows 95. I have been using computers since I was four. (I'm now in my 20's) My next computers were hand-me-downs from my dad. When he upgraded, he gave me his previous computer. I don't remember what they were, some ran Windows 98. The first computer I remember receiving brand new was a 2004 Dell Dimension 2400. My parents bought it for me when I completed Elementary school. It had a Pentium 4 cpu at 2.2GHz, 1GB DDR 266 ram, a 40GB Ide hard drive, 128MB Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 PCI video card, a Soundblaster Live SB0200 (It was hideous finding drivers for that card) and Windows XP all together in the micro atx case. Alongside the old Dell I got a HP Pavillion ZD8000 laptop (Pentium 4 2.8GHz, 1GB Ram, 80GB hard drive, ATI Mobility Radeon x600 graphics, Windows XP) in 2009 when my dad passed away.. 😢 I also received his Dell Inspiron 8500, (Pentium 4 2.2, 1GB Ram, 40GB Hard drive, Windows XP, as well as two Identical beige towers also running Windows XP. They were: Duron 1.3GHz, 512MB Ram (one had 768MB), 20GB in one and a 80GB in the other. They both had an ASUS A7V motherboard, some 16MB ATI Rage AGP card, no sound cards or integrated sound and they were the first PCs I ever opened up, took apart, and put back together, entering a whole new world of fun. I got rid of one of them by mistake with the Dell desktop thinking the Dell was broken (Ony had a Virus) and that the Duron would be donated to a new home. But back then I thought PC recycling meant re-using it , not destroying it. I regret it now. (I did not know much about PCs then, I should of fixed the Dell and cleaned up the Duron.) I also found the last computer dad gave me: In 2007 or 2008 I asked for a Windows 98 PC to back up my Dells files to and he gave me a Micron micro-Atx tower with a Celeron 667MHz, 64MB Ram, and a 20GB Hard drive. When I graduated from high school I bought an HP Workstation XW4200. (Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 1.5GB Ram, 74.5Gb hard drive, some 256MB Nvidia Quadro PCI x16 card, and Windows XP again. (favoite OS) Later on my mom gave me some of her old laptops: IBM Thinkpad R31 - Pentium III 1.1GHz (Tualatin!) 256MB Ram, 20GB hard drive, Windows XP, then her Toshiba Sateillite who's LED backlight broke: Celeron M 1.4GHz, 768MB Ram, 40GB Hard drive, Windows XP, and last but not least, an HP Pavillion DV6000: Turion x2 1.6GHz (dual core) 1.5GB Ram, 80GB Hard drive, Windows XP. My next computers were all countless freebees from the PC stores (When I gained my tech skills.) but the first PC I ever built myself was in late 2011 of old and new parts: Athlon II x2 270 3.4GHz (fastest Athlon II x2 at the time) 2GB DDR3 1333, 74.5GB hard drive (From the old HP XW4200) 700MB Integrated Radeon HD graphics (worked quite well for all the old 2005-08 games I had) Onboard Realtek HD Audio, ECS A880GM-M6 motherboard, and Windows XP 32-Bit. (Don't like Windows 7) Ok, so those all were the first PCs I've had through the years, what were yours?

R5eQTE.png
My AST Advantage Pentium 1. Photo was taken in 1998. I Don't know what happened to
that PC...

Wa7FVw.gif
My Dell Dimension 2400

qh9mfC.jpg
My HP Pavillion ZD8000. My daily driver till 2013.

sJfjJS.jpg
My Dell Inspiron 8500. Was the first PC I tried upgrading the Ram. I put in DDR2 sticks
in its DDR1 slots by mistake and fried the slots. Still works though with the original ram but
is very slow.

jxQH0a.jpg
The case used for my dad's identical Duron PCs - What a pretty!

WxxXmV.jpg
The innards of the Micron PC (missing the original case)

y1nCqr.jpg
My HP Workstation XW4200

99rB1C.jpg
My IBM Thinkpad R31. I traded it with a friend for a Gateway Solo 2550 (Pentium III 600MHz)

BaFDVw.jpg
My Toshiba Satellite laptop (Forgot model number) I accidentally fried it when I cut the
monitor cable from the dead lcd to have it as a headless laptop.

3AdKBF.jpg
My HP Pavillion DV6000. This is the last PC my dad bought. (from 2007)

8A11zv.jpg
Inside my first build-a-pc. I Sold it recently to buy parts for the new AMD FX-6300 gaming PC i'm building.

Dedicated Windows 95 Aficionado for good reasons:
http://toastytech.com/evil/setup.html

Reply 1 of 71, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am not quite shure if I remember every computer that I had over the year's. Anyway, here goes:

The first one I ever used, was my parents old Unisys 80286 with 640kb mem, 20 megabyte HDD, 3.5 inch floppy and PC-Speaker sound.
It had a Gamecard from so called Quickshot. Wich were an 8-bit ISA Card. Yet, that was not a computer that I owned. It was not mine.

Computer 1: (1993)
Cyrix 80486 SLC2-66-MhZ.
4 Megabyte of Ram.
250 Megabyte HDD.
Tseng4000 ISA.
Noname/random controller and I/O card.
Sound Galaxy 16 (SB-Pro card).

Computer 2: (1994)
Intel 80486 DX2-66-MhZ.
8 Megabyte of Ram.
800 Megabyte HDD.
Cirrus Logic 5428 VL-Bus 1mb.
Side JR Pro VL-Bus controller and I/O card.
Sound Blaster 16 Value Edition
Mitsumi 1x speed CD-Rom Drive (the one were the whole drive is a kind of drawer)
Conner (I think) QUIC-80 125/250mb tape streamer.

Computer 3: (1996)
Some sort of AMDx5 computer that I do not recall at all.
It was a 133mhz CPU that was rated as a P75 in term of power.
I only remember that I had it, because I still have the CPU.
It is actually the oldest piece of hardware that I still have,
from that period in my life, all other retro stuff is bought in from
2010 and onwards. My GUS-ACE was bought some time after that.
Think it was in 2001 or so.

Computer 4: (1997)
AMD K6-2 500 MhZ.
Gigabyte GA-5AX MotherBoard
128 Megabyte of Ram.
Acer 4xCD-Rom Burner
20, 40 and 8 Gigabyte Harddrives.
TNT2 M64 AGP card with 16 megabyte of mem.
Sound Blaster PCI-128 Soundcard.

After this, I had a load of different systems. Both Intel And AMD systems.
Both Pentium4's and Athlon/Sempron/Duron systems.
I have had both 478, 775 and other sockets. Hard to keep track of it all.
Mainly because I have build as many different systems out of what I have
as I could possibly build.

Laptops... Yes.... I am on my second laptop right now. Bought it in fall 2010.
The first laptop I ever bought was in spring of 2008.

First laptop was a HP. Wich I never really liked. And the one I have now is an Acer Extensa.
Wich I really like. It is fast enough for all my working needs. No gaming on that.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 4 of 71, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't really remember that much about my first computer. I believe it was a Compaq Deskpro with maybe a P133 and 32MB RAM? I can't remember exactly; I was only about 3 years old at the time. It wasn't really mine, either - it was actually my dad's work's computer; they let him have it for a while. Of course, I no longer have it. Another early computer I fondly miss is my family's original K6-233 computer, from around 1999. Final specs when we retired it in 2005:

AMD K6-233
128MB RAM
40GB HDD
Voodoo 4 4500 AGP
Sound Blaster Live!
TDK CD-RW drive
Windows 98SE

The only part of that computer I still have is the TDK CD-RW drive which now resides in my K6-2; the rest was sadly junked several years ago... 😒 I consider my K6-2 system the spiritual successor of sorts to my original K6. And I still have the box to the Voodoo 4.

First computer I had to myself was this little Pentium III-based Dell Optiplex GX150:
kwNm9Fc.jpg

1GHz PIII Coppermine
512MB SDRAM
40GB HDD
onboard Intel video (thought I used a GeForce 4 Ti 4600 in this, but I think that was another computer I had)
onboard sound card
DVD-ROM drive
Windows XP

Think I bought this in 2007. It remained my steady daily driver until about 2009 or so. After that, I had a variety of P4 and Athlon XP computers before settling down with a Q6600-based Intel 775 system in 2011, which I still use to this day.

As for laptops, I still have my first laptop, an IBM T23:
U52wIQY.jpg

1.13GHz PIII-M
512MB SDRAM
40GB (originally 30GB) HDD
S3 SuperSavage
Crystal sound card
DVD-ROM drive
Windows XP

From the time got this as a birthday gift in 2006 to the day I replaced it with a boring Acer laptop in 2010, it held up well. I'd even go so far as to say that the T23 was really more of my main computer from the time, at least, until I got my first P4 computer around 2009. Nowadays, I have a Toshiba A665D AMD Phenom-based laptop that I bought earlier this year. I mainly use it for college (yay programming classes), and it has just enough power, with its Radeon HD 5650, to play the games I want it to play.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 5 of 71, by mrferg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My first computer, one that I bought myself was a Dell Optiplex XL-575 that I bought secondhand from the University of Michigan. it had a 75mhz Pentium, 8mb of RAM, 800 something MB hard drive and no CD-ROM. I later upgraded it to a 133mhz Pentium (the max for the motherboard,) 128mb RAM (pulled from a dead machine,) a 4.3gb hard drive, and a noisy as hell 52x CD-ROM, all back in 1999.

Pretty quickly though the CPU became a bottleneck so I built a machine around a 500mhz K6-2 and a VA-503+, while reusing the RAM and drives. I don't really miss those days. That K6-2 never ran right, funny enough I just acquired a 400mhz K6-2 system for $2 and even it doesn't even work right. Super Socket 7 and I don't get along apparently.

PacBell 386sx
Gateway 2k P75
HP Pav 7360 MMX200
SE440BX-2, P2 450
3 Modernish Dell Precisions

Reply 6 of 71, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yikes. PET, VIC-20. StarWars was NEW and helped to make the SciFi nerdishness I grew up with slightly more mainstream. Also the arcades had already entered the glorious early-digital age.

My first Computer Experience would have been playing tic-tac-toe against a PDP-11 at the Science Centre. They also had a voice-sythn, where you could twist up the tones and rates of the word "coffee".

The Commodores were largely impressive because your words would wrap automatically at the edge of the screen. This was CLEAR MAGIC. I had been using typewriters long enough to be gob-dropped that you could ditch the return-lever.

Then nothing impressed until a relatively loaded used Apple ][e that I "caught up" with. Things had moved forward on a lot. Great fun exploring that box.

Then the Amiga 1000 which was everything that has ever been gushed about it. It really was "ten years ahead of its time". I swapped to 386 and started the x86 ladder and it truly wasn't until W95 with the Pentium that I finally had a box that felt like it had caught up in every way.

I should have some nostalgia for all those x86 boxes, but I don't. Other than brief bright points like DOOM, things skip ahead to the glorious A7V (Duron, pencil-clocked) to register as FUN again.

(It's partly disassembled in a corner, waiting to be returned to vintage state.)

Reply 7 of 71, by Solarstorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can't remember all exact details from my first PCs, but i try to write down as much as i remember.
At first my dad got a Videospectrum Z80 clone.
Then i got a 268 Laptop used from my dad.
That was my entry to the DOS world.
It had a monochrome display with a very bad reaction time.^^
After my sister always occupied the Laptop for her studies, we got a 386 "family" desktop PC which mostly i occupied. 😁
That PC lasted till i got 13 when i had my religion confirmation... turns out i'm an atheist after all! 😜
So i bought my first own PC from the mony i got from that a Pentium 60 with 8MB RAM and a Cirrus Logic gaphic card.
It looked a bit like that
46339d1313676834-eure-history-was-habt-schon-computer-gehabt-colani.jpg
I even dragged that heavy beast to some LAN parties, where we played Doom, Duke, Hi Octane and stuff.
A few years later, about 95ish, i upgraded the Board on the PC to a P166MMX with a Matrox Millenium and a little later made an upgrade to a 200MMX.
In the Time i had the 166 i bought my DB50XG that i still own and use.
And then i got stuck with this config till 2003ish because i was poor.
Then my sister was throwing out her old PC a P2 233 afair could also be a 266 can't really remember.
I had this for a short time till i found some work and bought myself a new machine.
And i still own that PC it's an Athlon XP 3200+ with now 2GB RAM(started with 1) and a Nvidia 5somethingsomething.
I started with another Gfx card but can't remember atm.
I also added later a Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro.

Poor and workless again i started a new apprenticeship, this time as an IT Salesman, but because where i had the training, i ended up being an admin.
So after i finished my apprenticeship i bought a new PC.
I also still own it.
It's an Intel C2Q Q9550 with 16GB RAM a GTX280, 128GB SSD and a AuzenTech X-Fi Forte 7.1.
My last PC i bought like 2 years ago and my current gaming machine is an i7 3770k with 32GB RAM, 256GB SSD and a GTX 670 i also reused the Auzentech in it.

I also own a pretty beefie Laptop from Schenker what i use for everyday stuff. It has an i7 4700MQ GTX 765M 256GB SSD and 16GB RAM.

That's not all i have, i let 2 NAS servers and the rebought retro stuff beside. But that sums up my PC career so far.

My YouTube Channel

Reply 9 of 71, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My first one eh?
2002: Celeron 1.7GHz Williamette, 256MB DDR266 ram, Intel D845GRG mobo, onboard Intel "extreme" graphics 2, Seagate 40GB HDD, DVD-Rom, NEC 14" CRT.
On 2004 got upgraded to 768MB ram, Geforce FX5200 and MSI CD-RW. On 2005 it got an Ati HIS Radeon 9600Pro.

OS? Windows XP SP1 😀

1. Athlon XP 3200+ | ASUS A7V600 | Radeon 9500 @ Pro | SB Audigy 2 ZS | 80GB IDE, 500GB SSD IDE2Sata, 2x1TB HDDs | Win 98SE, XP, Vista
2. Pentium MMX 266| Qdi Titanium IIIB | Hercules graphics & Amber monitor | 1 + 10GB HDDs | DOS 6.22, Win 3.1, 95C

Reply 10 of 71, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My first IBM PC was a compaq 286, I got for 40$ used, that I really wish I still had.... I have the CPU and co-processor from it still, and the half height 5.25 floppies, but the rest is gone 🤣. That machine had a Full Height double bay 40mb Hard drive.
I got an XT later, too also gone 😒 .
Everyone goes through a phase they get rid of machines they stopped using, my 286, 386\DX33, IBM XT and 486\DX2-66 all gone because of that phase.
I acquired every one of them used when I was a kid but still, bah.
My first NEW IBM machine was a Packard bell C110 Pentium 120, and I still have it, it survived that phase luckily.

I was exposed to a TANDY TRS-80 and C64 when I was even younger, and my father actually still has them and they still work, but they don't really count, as I did not really learn a thing on them. Treated them like a Nintendo, as the Tandy he had a ton of carts for it, that machine had a total amount of ram of 16kb, and loaded other things off a tape recorder.

Reply 11 of 71, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

1st one was Atari 800XL around 1987. It lasted till I bought a PC-AT 286/16Mhz in 1992 with VGA color monitor 😉 From then on there is a looong list of upgrades 😁

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 12 of 71, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It was a Packard Bell Legend 2000.
Original spec 486/25 with 4 MB of RAM but the previous owner installed a overdrive (I think it was a 486/50 or 486/66 overdrive)
and added 8 MB of RAM to make 12.

Got that around 2002

Reply 13 of 71, by Holering

User metadata

Cool timeline of yours.

I think it was 2003 when I had my own PC. It was: Asus a7n8x-deluxe mobo, xp3200+ barton, x2 512 DDR 400 ram, Audigy2, 9700 Pro, lian-li aluminum case, logitech mx300 mouse, logitech z680 speakers, and a hitachi 1280x1024 LCD.

Last edited by Holering on 2014-09-12, 20:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15 of 71, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My first computer was back in 1993 a CIP-03,romanian zx spectrum 48k clone,or better said a copy since all it's chips were made in Eastern Europe.

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/photos.as … ?t=1&c=700&st=1

Reply 16 of 71, by Solarstorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just got my 2003ish PC out of the closet and made some pics.
Wasn't on since at least 6 years. 😁
http://imgur.com/a/6gaY8#0

My YouTube Channel

Reply 17 of 71, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wish I remembered the specs of the beige box we owned in the 1990s. I think it was a 100MHz 486DX2. Unfortunately back then I didn't pay attention to these things.

Account retired. Now posting as Errius.

Reply 18 of 71, by Blurredman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The first PC I was allowed to use in my room was an ECS K7VZA board, I don't know any more than that, other than it probably had around 512mb RAM, an ATI Radeon VE (32MB) AGP graphics card (still have this, so much glitches/bugs on Mafia). And probably had a lower class Duron perhaps 800mhz. I don't know. One day while messing with I actually saw the CPU give a puff of smoke, and I decided to get rid of the board and all (bad decision as that was probably fine. I then buoght very cheaply a brand new Duron 1300mhz and a PC Chips M811 which I still have OFC.

But that's beside the point, the first machine I really really could call my own and I considered it a beast was an Athlon XP 1700+ @ 1.1Ghz, Asus A7V8X-X mainboard, 3D Club nVidia GeForce FX5200 (128mb)., It saw me through alot of Call of Duty multiplayer games in my final year of School and college. Unfortunately the motherboard died sometime in mid 2007 and the motherboard was flung. But I still have everything else. Infact it's funny this topic came up, as only today I became a recipient of the exact same motherboard. I found some old imaged DVD's from late 2006 and decided to do a project. Installed mobo into original case, installed the original HDD I had (80GB), installed the original Graphics card, and original CPU and RAM. Indeed, the original CD drives too..

It will take several hours to restore the images, and then I will wonder why I bothered probably. 😁 😁

http://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/ 😊