VOGONS

First post, by nekurahoka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, I've been trying to get the above mentioned card going on my retro setup for a couple of weeks off and on. I've hunted down drivers in Win95, Win98, and WinNT flavors. I cannot get the thing going in 98SE. After driver install and restarting, the system pauses on a black screen with mouse cursor in the center. This occurs using the 98 drivers and the 95 drivers. I've also tried a fresh 98 install and another attempt with ME. I have gotten the card functioning in XP using the drivers supplied by Microsoft, but still no joy in 98SE where I'd prefer to use the card.

Since the Number Nine Card is a Savage4 chipset, I've also attempted to use S3's reference drivers for 98. Still no go. I've given up and gone ahead and put back in my Radeon SDR. Great card, but its DOS support is spotty. (can't run TIE Fighter Collector's CD in 640x480 for ex.)

So, any ideas? Could it be an AGP issue with the PC Chips board? Next thing I'll likely try is a 98 setup with a different board to rule it out. Problem is it would be a new build and I'm not up to it just yet. Anyway, thanks for any input anyone can provide.

Dell Dimension XPS R400, 512MB SDRAM, Voodoo3 2000 AGP, Turtle Beach Montego, ESS Audiodrive 1869f ISA, Dreamblaster Synth S1
Dell GH192, P4 3.4 (Northwood), 4GB Dual Channel DDR, ATI Radeon x1650PRO 512MB, Audigy 2ZS, Alacritech 2000 Network Accelerator

Reply 1 of 2, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From all I have heard the later s3 cards had really bad driver issues, off hand I would say that it it dead. But since it works in xp under the MS drivers that means that it does function. Overall seems like a big headache, for DOS compatibility you could pick up any number of card's for cheap. Browse the forums and see what people are using in their systems to help decide on a new video card and limp by with the Radeon card unless you get the Number Nine working. Oh random thought, if there is a jumper on it, try switching it around.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 2 of 2, by nekurahoka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the reply! Yes, it has been a headache. I had hoped to get it working just to use the AGP slot to free up a PCI slot since there's only 3 on this board. I went ahead and got my old Voodoo 3 2000 PCI going. I hadn't messed with it because it needed a BIOS reflash and I was unsure what its performance was like. So far it's running as good or better than the Radeon for d3d accelerated games and 640x480 now works in TIE.

If I do ever get the SR9 working, I'll post what it took for others' reference.

Dell Dimension XPS R400, 512MB SDRAM, Voodoo3 2000 AGP, Turtle Beach Montego, ESS Audiodrive 1869f ISA, Dreamblaster Synth S1
Dell GH192, P4 3.4 (Northwood), 4GB Dual Channel DDR, ATI Radeon x1650PRO 512MB, Audigy 2ZS, Alacritech 2000 Network Accelerator