VOGONS

Voodoo 5 6000 Clone PCB

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 135, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm waiting for my clone V4 from this guy. If it arrives and he sells a V5 6000 clone for not stupid money I will purchase!

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 21 of 135, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This clone V5 seems to support only 5V PCI. Which will limit the performance quite a bit as you won't be able to run it in 3.3V PCI-X boards as 66 MHz PCI device.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 23 of 135, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm no expert by any means and I don't want to put bad name to the project, but I have my doubts about this...

1. Why PCI? it would be way limited in comparison to AGP 2x.
2. Why the card has a secondary male VGA connector? Reminds me of Vooodoo 1 or the Voodoo 2, where those were only 3D accelerators, but VSA100 chips can handle 2D just fine.
3. Why no evidence of the card in use?

It kinda reminds me of the Bitchin' Fast Voodoo 5 9000 Project, that one was an excellent prank from a fellow Vogons member, hope this one isn't just a way to scam people of their money.

Again, I want to clear that I don't want to start any drama or start a conspiracy theory, just want to make sure the project is legit before people start sending money. 😀

Reply 24 of 135, by anthony

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It is pci because it too slow for d3d and later opengl and intended to be used in conjunction with another powerful accelerator. Thats why it has Vga in. What evidence you’re expecting, that card 2 days old and it not available for orders now.

Reply 25 of 135, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So, price will be $1500 or around that.

Oh well, at least it's just one RTX3090 =)

BTW do you have plans to increase VRAM capacity per chip to 64 Mb?

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 26 of 135, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
anthony wrote on 2021-02-18, 15:55:

It is pci because it too slow for d3d and later opengl and intended to be used in conjunction with another powerful accelerator. Thats why it has Vga in. What evidence you’re expecting, that card 2 days old and it not available for orders now.

I understand the PCI interface (after all, the original V5 6k was also just PCI66 ~ AGP 1x). But why not make it 3.3V / 66 MHz compatible? Does the pci-pci bridge support it?

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 27 of 135, by anthony

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

64 mb per chip config is buggy. If i’ll find convenient way to switch memory configurations maybe i’ll implement such feature In future.

No problem in 66mhz pci support if bc-66 bridge chip is used. This card already able to operate at such clock by isolating certain contacts.

Reply 29 of 135, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
anthony wrote on 2021-02-18, 13:48:

Hello, guys, appreciate your interest to my recent project. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask.

I noticed the four fans report their speed and wonder if it's possible to read this with software? If so I will update my SIV utility to do this if you can tell me where to read the speeds from.

Last time a checked SIV did OK on a 6000 and I would be interested to know if it reports your card OK.

Attachments

• 3dfx Voodoo5 6000.png
    Filename
    3dfx Voodoo5 6000.png
    File size
    97.06 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    SIV did OK on a 6000
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 32 of 135, by erek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

this went viral,

https://hothardware.com/news/3dfx-voodoo-5-60 … husiast-vsa-100

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/3dfx-voodoo … etter-than-ever

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/3dfx-voodoo … enthusiast.html

https://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/147447-3 … se-engineering/

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/67383/legendar … oard/index.html

Reply 33 of 135, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Crazy. I can't imagine how much work that must have been. Looks very cool though.

Now reverse engineer (and finish) the Rampage! 🤪

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 34 of 135, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
erek wrote on 2021-02-20, 00:52:

"You can see a move from AGP to PCIe Express, the added benefit from using PCI Express is that it can feed 75 Watts, no longer an external power supply was needed. below I added a photo of an original Voodoo 5 6000, that's the one with the brick 😀"

🤣, some of their writing staff seems to be quite young x3

Reply 36 of 135, by anthony

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
red-ray wrote on 2021-02-19, 14:03:
anthony wrote on 2021-02-18, 13:48:

Hello, guys, appreciate your interest to my recent project. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask.

I noticed the four fans report their speed and wonder if it's possible to read this with software? If so I will update my SIV utility to do this if you can tell me where to read the speeds from.

Last time a checked SIV did OK on a 6000 and I would be interested to know if it reports your card OK.

All v4 and v5 cards have gpio2 routed to fan speed sensor, take a look at vidserialparallel register in vsa100 manual. Problem is, you can read only first chip, i may be wrong thou. But on that particular card i had intention to use this gpio for an other purpose (vsa100 has only one input gpio)

Not tested your util so far, but highly likely that it’ll report my card absolutely the same way as v56.

Last edited by anthony on 2021-02-20, 03:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 37 of 135, by anthony

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
386SX wrote on 2021-02-19, 16:48:

Interesting and impressive project. Some questions for curiousity, is the PLX chip acting like the Hint chip did or they are completely different logics? How many watts the card requires from the PSU?

Plx is rebranded hint, same manufacturer. It sucks about 5 amps at max from the 12v line

Reply 38 of 135, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
imi wrote on 2021-02-20, 01:43:
erek wrote on 2021-02-20, 00:52:

"You can see a move from AGP to PCIe Express, the added benefit from using PCI Express is that it can feed 75 Watts, no longer an external power supply was needed. below I added a photo of an original Voodoo 5 6000, that's the one with the brick 😀"

🤣, some of their writing staff seems to be quite young x3

Yeah I saw this too. Every time I see a post about something "retro" on one of the big tech sites, I feel older and older. The people writing the articles may not have even been ALIVE when this stuff happened. This is like if I were writing a professional article about the release of the IBM PC... but trying to apply my "modern" knowledge to it, authoritatively, without bothering to fact check.... and getting paid to do it. 🤣

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.