VOGONS

First post, by y2k se

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a system running on an ASUS P2B (440BX chipset). Connected to the primary IDE channel is a Western Digital 80 GB hard drive. I have DOS 6.22/WfW 3.11 and Windows 98 SE dual-booting. I currently use Clonezilla to image/restore the drive to a network share.

I acquired a second Western Digital 80 GB drive and wanted to setup a RAID 0 array using a Highpoint RocketRaid 404 controller. However, Clonezilla is not able to see the RAID array on the controller, so I'm not able to restore a image to the array. Also, I would not be able to backup the array.

Is anyone aware of alternative software that would be able to see the RAID array? It would also need to support imaging a drive to a network share or CD-R (the machine has a CDRW drive installed).

Tualatin Celeron 1.4 + Powerleap PL-IP3/T, ASUS P2B, 512 MB RAM, GeForce 4 Ti 4200, Voodoo2 SLI, AWE64, 32GB IDE SSD, Dell 2001FP

Reply 2 of 4, by washu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm new here, but I've been dealing with storage issues for 20+ years.

The problem is that your RocketRaid 404 is a FakeRAID controller. The RAID is done by the software in the card's BIOS and the driver, not in hardware. Linux and thus Clonezilla will either ignore FakeRAIDs or see them as just a HBA with individual drives. There is a very out of date driver that can trick Linux into using the 404 as a RAID controller, but it is very unlikely to work on any modern kernel.

Your best bet is to use cloning software that works in an OS that can see the RAID. Either DOS or Windows. The DOS version of Ghost would work well. Another option if you can work it is to install both the source drive and RAID setup in an existing Windows machine and use one of the many Windows cloning programs.

Reply 3 of 4, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes RR404 is a fake raid card, but there is still hope for recent linux to recognize the array on that card. Modern linux handles fake raid via dmraid which supports hpt374 and rr454. RR404 is basically a BIOS updated RR454 with fake raid5 enabled, so there might be a slight chance that dmraid can recognize the raid 0 array on OP's card.

Reply 4 of 4, by y2k se

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lazibayer wrote:

Perhaps clonezilla is unable to load the driver for your raid card. Try using ubuntu live disk and dd the raid to the network share.

Thanks for the reply. I found a Clonezilla Live CD based on ubuntu, so I'm going to give that a spin. If that does not work, I will probably not invest any further time. In fact, I might not mess with it further anyway. I had forgotten that Western Digital had released a 32-bit disk access driver for Windows 3.1, which I discovered I had previously installed on this system.

Tualatin Celeron 1.4 + Powerleap PL-IP3/T, ASUS P2B, 512 MB RAM, GeForce 4 Ti 4200, Voodoo2 SLI, AWE64, 32GB IDE SSD, Dell 2001FP