VOGONS

First post, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yesterday i received another 5 3dfx cards in the mail. 4 of them were working fine but a trust dragon II voodoo2 board did not work.

That was a dissapointment since i wanted a second matching sli set and since i had another working trust card i really wanted this one to work.

After inspection it was very clear: 2 chips had legs that were bend and so they were pressed against each other (10 in total). I searched through my house and could't find anthing that would fit between the legs of the chip to straighten them out, those gaps are VERY small!

Then i remembered that i had bought a tool a couple of months ago. I don't know the english name for it but it has a lot of different very thin metal blades to adjust valves on engines (google gives me: feeler gauge )
I discovered that i needed the 0.05mm blade! It had rounded edges so i cut a bit off because it was much more usefull with sharp edges.

The blade was JUST strong enough to bend the legs back and with a lot of patience i got the card working again!!!!! 😎 sli works perfectly too.

Since a have seen more cards in the past which were damaged this way (due to people throwing them in boxes with other cards etc.) i thought i should share this idea, the same works for slightly damaged voodoo1 boards ofcourse.

Ofcourse when the legs got a really hard hit or are broken, this is not a way to fix them and usually you can throw the card away....

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 2 of 2, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I ran into the same problem with an Intergraph card.

CGS_0052.jpg
CGS_0054.jpg

I also used a very fine tipped sewing needle to carefully bend the pins back.

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif