VOGONS

Reply 40 of 71, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Intel and 3com are definitely the best, but PCI DEC Tulip chips (and clones) were always excellent for performance and certainly the most cost efficient. There's no reason nowadays to buy one, but they certainly have a place in history.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 41 of 71, by Huxy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
luckybob wrote:

interesting. i have an intel in my dual p-pro overdrive on win2k. i got full pci saturation (~70MB/s) and only ~7% cpu useage. iirc.

Just did a quick Win2K install on the same hardware and tested the speed. It transferred at ~12MB/s with an average load in the mid 60's. Much better than Win9x, though slower than I thought it might be.

Reply 43 of 71, by egrabczewski

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
borgie83 wrote on 2014-11-20, 10:45:

Most of the time, I use Intel Pro GT 1000 PCI network cards. Fairly fast and have drivers available for Windows 3.11 all the way through to Windows 8.1. The Windows 3.11/95 drivers have since been taken down from Intel's website but are still available for download elsewhere. The Dos drivers for this card are also regularly updated with the latest official Intel 19.5 update being dated 10/28/2014. Latest Windows 98 10.3 update is dated 3/15/2006. Strange how they keep updating the Dos drivers though. Anyone know why?

Anyone got an idea where I can find these Windows 3.11 drivers for the Intel Pro/1000 GT?
I've looked everywhere for 3.1 and 3.11 drivers.

Reply 44 of 71, by egrabczewski

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
egrabczewski wrote on 2020-02-05, 12:28:

Anyone got an idea where I can find these Windows 3.11 drivers for the Intel Pro/1000 GT?
I've looked everywhere for 3.1 and 3.11 drivers.

I managed to get the Pro/1000 GT working in Windows for Workgroups 3.11, on my ASUS P2B-F motherboard, by using Intel version 15.5 DOS drivers (selecting a later driver doesn't necessarily guarantee success) and choosing the e1000.dos driver (not e1000odi.com, which is for DOS) installed through the Program Manager > Main > Windows Setup icon. Select Change Network Settings from the drop down menu; click the Drivers button and install the driver and the TCP/IP protocol. Make TCP/IP the default protocol (no need to delete IPX/SPX protocols but you can if you wish). If you are told the installer can't find the driver then check the oemsetup.inf file, protocol.ini file and C:\WINDOWS\system.ini files to make sure they are referring to e1000.dos. When you start WfW 3.11, make sure the AUTOEXEC.BAT file has the C:\WINDOWS\NET START command to pick up the protocol.ini file info from the C:\WINDOWS directory before you start WfW.

Here's a useful page to help you get the card working in DOS:
http://wiki.freedos.org/wiki/index.php/Networ … er_installation

Reply 45 of 71, by mi7chy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My favorite PCI NIC is the Kingston KNE100TX or any NIC with DEC 21140 (Tulip) chip since Windows 98SE has built-in driver support to avoid the hassle of copying and installing drivers especially on vintage Pentium Pro era without USB ports.

Reply 46 of 71, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anyone know where to find the Pro/1000 GT windows 98 driver?

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 47 of 71, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Oldskoolmaniac wrote on 2020-03-10, 03:12:

Anyone know where to find the Pro/1000 GT windows 98 driver?

Filename
PRO98M.zip
File size
1.23 MiB
Downloads
100 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 48 of 71, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Has anyone managed to get this card working with MTCP in pure DOS? I got the ODI driver apparently recognizing the card, but when i start DHCP from MTCP package it complains it cannot setup the packet driver.

I mean the Intel PRO 1000 GT card, BTW.

Reply 49 of 71, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I dont know about what you mean about best ?
You can have a NIC with great specs but if you dont have a driver for it it is worthless.

3com Nic was popular because they had good driver support. Intel has good specs and support. DEC had good specs too.
AMD NICs worked good in Win98.

For DOS i find the 3com and Intel have good driver support.
For Windows 95 thru 2000 I would check with device manager supported NICs.

I usually use a NIC that is supported in the Operating system. So the driver is supplied with the Operating system.
This way I know the driver was tested by Microsoft and certified to work with the OS.

I just easy to install and reinstall the OS this way.

Reply 51 of 71, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
carlostex wrote on 2020-07-09, 17:05:

Has anyone managed to get this card working with MTCP in pure DOS? I got the ODI driver apparently recognizing the card, but when i start DHCP from MTCP package it complains it cannot setup the packet driver.

I mean the Intel PRO 1000 GT card, BTW.

mTCP works with separate packet drivers, which are not the same as the ODI driver.

I'm not aware of any DOS packet driver for this card, it's not in Intel's Network Adapter Software Version 6.2 and it's not in the Crynwr set either (no surprise as Crynwr focuses on (8b) ISA...)

I'm afraid you'll have to use ODI-based software to use this card under DOS.

Reply 52 of 71, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote on 2020-07-10, 00:26:

mTCP works with separate packet drivers, which are not the same as the ODI driver.

I'm not aware of any DOS packet driver for this card, it's not in Intel's Network Adapter Software Version 6.2 and it's not in the Crynwr set either (no surprise as Crynwr focuses on (8b) ISA...)

I'm afraid you'll have to use ODI-based software to use this card under DOS.

So there's no DOS packet driver for this card, damn... What a shame i really like it, its really small and slim, goes really well with the AWE Upgrade card on the shared PCI/ISA slot.

I mainly use mTCP for networking in DOS, really disappointed i cannot use it. I tried the Intel EtherExpress 100 packet driver but obviously that doesn't work with the PRO 1000 GT.

I'll default back to the 3C905.

Reply 53 of 71, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
carlostex wrote on 2020-07-10, 01:17:

So there's no DOS packet driver for this card, damn... What a shame i really like it, its really small and slim, goes really well with the AWE Upgrade card on the shared PCI/ISA slot.

I mainly use mTCP for networking in DOS, really disappointed i cannot use it. I tried the Intel EtherExpress 100 packet driver but obviously that doesn't work with the PRO 1000 GT.

Perhaps someone could be convinced to write one. AFAIK packet drivers are designed to be as simple as possible. http://crynwr.com/packet_driver.html
Anyone attempted that before?

Reply 54 of 71, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jakethompson1 wrote on 2020-07-10, 01:22:
carlostex wrote on 2020-07-10, 01:17:

Perhaps someone could be convinced to write one. AFAIK packet drivers are designed to be as simple as possible. http://crynwr.com/packet_driver.html
Anyone attempted that before?

There are ODI drivers for the E1000 family https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-ca/drive … driverid=r46476 . Using a converter to get a packet driver interface is possible . See http://wiki.freedos.org/wiki/index.php/Networ … er_installation

Reply 57 of 71, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
darry wrote on 2020-07-10, 02:10:
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-07-10, 02:00:

There are also packet driver shims that will interface with ODI drivers

Isn't that pretty much what I said ? 😀

sure is, I stopped reading when you posted the first link 🤣 oops

Reply 58 of 71, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-07-10, 02:48:
darry wrote on 2020-07-10, 02:10:
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-07-10, 02:00:

There are also packet driver shims that will interface with ODI drivers

Isn't that pretty much what I said ? 😀

sure is, I stopped reading when you posted the first link 🤣 oops

No problem . Incidentally I have not used an ODI drivers since the 90s . Last time was in 1998, in a college dorm room. If memory serves, I used a DOS ODI compatible application to put my NIC in promiscuous mode and realized I was connected to a hub, along with dozens of other users . Let's just says that it was an interesting experience . 😀

Reply 59 of 71, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok, found a open source generic packet driver for Intel PRO/1000 PCI cards:

https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/fr … l/e1000pkt.html

Tried it and it works. Unfortunately, if i load the driver in the upper memory DHCP tool from MTCP fails to acknlowdge received packets. The driver takes 11k in memory, but since networking in DOS is a rather every now and then activity, this is not a problem at all. I still get more than 610K in base memory.

By the way, the package includes source code, so this driver could be eventually improved. There's no way to configure buffers and such, you can only do that by altering one of the include files and then compile again. Perhaps all the things that are nice to be configurable could be put in a CFG file and then make the program read the config values from there.

In the end of all this i'm pretty happy. I just upgraded from downloading at 900Kb/s from my home server to 4.5MB/s. Not too shabby.